Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Got a question. I have been using GSAK for the last month or so. I plan on registering soon, but in the meantime got one question. When I open the program I get the nag screen, no big deal. When I go to the get mail option and click okay it brings up a nag screen. Again, no big deal, but after the 50 or whatever seconds I click okay and it closes down my get mail without downloading the pocket queries...any ideas? Thanks.

Possible reasons for this:

1. Your "Get files that match" selection criteria is not being met

2. You have ticked the box "Only check new messages" and these PQ messages have alredy been checked but at the time your selection criteria was not met.

I have a (hopefully quick) question about using macros, apologies if it's been asked/answered before.

I've just started using macros to do my regular cache management stuff. Here is how I've set it up:

A macro for "Traditional, unfound" calls that filter, outputs the caches to GPSr and the Cachemate file to my PDA. I have more macros doing the same thing for Multi, Mystery, Virtual, Webcam, and My Owned caches, so 6 in total. Then I have one more macro, "UPDATE", which calls each of these individual macros in turn. All of them run without errors.

The intention is that I can load my pocket queries into GSAK, connect the GPSr and press one button, sync my PDA, and have it update everything. The problem I'm having is that each time it outputs a CacheMate file it installs it to the PDA, which opens the Palm install tool, requiring a click in that program to acknowledge that it's done. (On earlier versions, I've had GSAK crash if you don't click "Done" on the install tool before attempting to install the next Palm file, not sure if this'll still happen in 5.6).

So, is there a way to specify in the macro that I don't want to automatically install the .pdb files to the Palm? Or better still, is there some way to automatically click/dismiss the Palm install tool so that the "UPDATE" macro can continue with the next file without me needing to sit at the computer clicking "Done"??

I have a (hopefully quick) question about using macros, apologies if it's been asked/answered before.

I've just started using macros to do my regular cache management stuff. Here is how I've set it up:

A macro for "Traditional, unfound" calls that filter, outputs the caches to GPSr and the Cachemate file to my PDA. I have more macros doing the same thing for Multi, Mystery, Virtual, Webcam, and My Owned caches, so 6 in total. Then I have one more macro, "UPDATE", which calls each of these individual macros in turn. All of them run without errors.

The intention is that I can load my pocket queries into GSAK, connect the GPSr and press one button, sync my PDA, and have it update everything. The problem I'm having is that each time it outputs a CacheMate file it installs it to the PDA, which opens the Palm install tool, requiring a click in that program to acknowledge that it's done. (On earlier versions, I've had GSAK crash if you don't click "Done" on the install tool before attempting to install the next Palm file, not sure if this'll still happen in 5.6).

So, is there a way to specify in the macro that I don't want to automatically install the .pdb files to the Palm? Or better still, is there some way to automatically click/dismiss the Palm install tool so that the "UPDATE" macro can continue with the next file without me needing to sit at the computer clicking "Done"??

In the File=>Export=>CacheMate dialog just uncheck the box "Install to palm after conversion"

In the File=>Export=>CacheMate dialog just uncheck the box "Install to palm after conversion"

I think that Dr. Boggis still wants that one button sync option that he had before. Where instead of finding the files where he created them and moving them into the install program, he just wants to press the HotSync button and have everything transfer.

Clyde is correct Dr. Boggis, or at least half correct as I think I have the missing piece you are looking for.

1) Do what Clyde suggests and turn off the "Install to palm after conversion" checkbox on all your cachemate outputs.

2) Add a line similar to this at the end of your macro:

RUNPGM Pgm="C:\Progra~1\palmOne\QuickInstall.exe" Parms=C:\Progra~1\palmOne\<hotsync_username>\QuickInstall\<HandHeld | ExpCard>\cache_mate_file_you_created.pdb

- this points to the file you made earlier in the macro, Note: use one line like this per file you created.

Although it seems like the regular install program needs to be closed every time between each file being added, the quick install does not seem to have this restriction. This is the best fix I have found so far. The QuickInstall box will open, but only once and it does not appear to need to be closed for the script to keep on running. Plus you don’t even have to close it to hotsync your palm.

When exporting to cache mate I reduce the number of previous logs to save memory.

Is there any way of making this export include the last found log rather than notes and DNF's ?

Currently, no.

Sounds like a good idea for a feature request, Clyde. :lol: In addition to slecting last n logs on exports, select boxes to select only certain log types.

When exporting to cache mate I reduce the number of previous logs to save memory.

Is there any way of making this export include the last found log rather than notes and DNF's ?

Currently, no.

Sounds like a good idea for a feature request, Clyde. :D In addition to slecting last n logs on exports, select boxes to select only certain log types.

Added to "the list" :lol:

Hey Clyde,I finally broke down and purchased GSAK after using if for many months quite guiltily I must add. I was wondering ,the last column over has user data so I took some time and put all my FTF's in that column corresponding to the cache that I was indeed the FTF on. I figured that when I shut down they would be saved but when I opened it up again to use I see that they are all gone again. I have quite a few,well for me anyway,38 to be exact and I was hoping they would have been saved. Did I do something wrong? Maybe a filter for FTF's could be added or is that possible?. Anyway,how do I save all my FTF's in the user data column? Thanks Haffy6 :lol:

Hey Clyde,I finally broke down and purchased GSAK after using if for many months quite guiltily I must add. I was wondering ,the last column over has user data so I took some time and put all my FTF's in that column corresponding to the cache that I was indeed the FTF on. I figured that when I shut down they would be saved but when I opened it up again to use I see that they are all gone again. I have quite a few,well for me anyway,38 to be exact and I was hoping they would have been saved. Did I do something wrong? Maybe a filter for FTF's could be added or is that possible?. Anyway,how do I save all my FTF's in the user data column? Thanks Haffy6 :lol:

They definitely should be saved. Some things that come to mind:

1. They are still there but you have restored a view that no longer shows this column so it just looks they they are all gone.

2. You have restored a backup before you did the update

3. You have loaded a GSAK generated GPX file that contains the old "blank" user data

4. You have used the move/copy waypoints option and the source database has "blank" in the user data column

All these issues would still apply even if we added a FTF column

That option/dialog box doesn't come up when running a macro though. Do I have to run a "dummy" export so I can uncheck the box, and then that option will be retained when running the macro?

(I presume I could save the settings where it won't auto-install, then call those settings in the macro)

I think that Dr. Boggis still wants that one button sync option that he had before. Where instead of finding the files where he created them and moving them into the install program, he just wants to press the HotSync button and have everything transfer.

Clyde is correct Dr. Boggis, or at least half correct as I think I have the missing piece you are looking for.

1) Do what Clyde suggests and turn off the "Install to palm after conversion" checkbox on all your cachemate outputs.

2) Add a line similar to this at the end of your macro:

RUNPGM Pgm="C:\Progra~1\palmOne\QuickInstall.exe" Parms=C:\Progra~1\palmOne\<hotsync_username>\QuickInstall\<HandHeld | ExpCard>\cache_mate_file_you_created.pdb

- this points to the file you made earlier in the macro, Note: use one line like this per file you created.

Although it seems like the regular install program needs to be closed every time between each file being added, the quick install does not seem to have this restriction. This is the best fix I have found so far. The QuickInstall box will open, but only once and it does not appear to need to be closed for the script to keep on running. Plus you don’t even have to close it to hotsync your palm.

Sounds great, thanks damel! I'll try that later.

That option/dialog box doesn't come up when running a macro though. Do I have to run a "dummy" export so I can uncheck the box, and then that option will be retained when running the macro?

(I presume I could save the settings where it won't auto-install, then call those settings in the macro)

In the export CacheMate PDB file screen you can save your settings, so that you can use them again. Just uncheck the Auto Install option and save the setting. Then when you call it via a macro do this:

CACHEMATE Settings="<name_of_setting_created>" File="path\file"

The key is the 'Settings' option of the CACHEMATE function.

I use GSAK every day and LOVE it ! Thanks for all the work you've done !

An option I'd really like to see to add for future use:

Centerpoint: Grab from GPS

Currently there are:

Home

Current Waypoint

Post Code

Locations...

Show Current on Mapquest

How about adding one like this:

Capture from GPS (assumes GPS is ON and set correctly)

===================================

Another option I'd really like to see is:

Waypoint > Add

Currently there are three buttons at the bottom:

OK Cancel Help

When I am connected to gc.om and want to add a cache, Use the ADD option when I'm out placing a cache. It sure would be handy to have a SUBMIT button and have GSAK populate all the fields on GC.COM when adding a cache. Currently I use the Copy/Past option and flip back and forth between GSAK and GC.COM to submit the cache listing.

I use GSAK on a very old POS laptop (300mhz Dell Inspiron). It sits on the seat beside me in my truck when I'm caching.

When I start a day of caching, I usually have a Backup of my main database on a memory stick that I want to load into GSAK on the laptop.

Unfortuantly as is usally the case, GSAK determines that GSAK was improperly shutdown the last time... and with this old POS laptop it takes quite some time for it to check and repair the database that is just going to be wiped anyway with a restore from the USB Memory Stick.

Could an option be added to the command line for GSAK for a "Dump and Load.... dump the existing database and restore from path"?

I need help with this, when I set the filter to "not found yet" GSAK default all it brings up is one cache. What am I doing wrong???? B)

The filter "not yet found" shows anly caches that haven't be found by any geocacher. You should use the filter "not found". This filter shows your caches that haven't be found by you.

To see the difference, select filter " Not found". Klick Ctrl+F for the filter-window.

Select the tab "General" ; yellow marked should be "Found status" with selected "Not found" and " "Exclude caches placed by you"

and "Available status" selected "Available"

In filter "not found yet" the filters are in tab "Logs". Do you see the difference?

Feature Request (minor/really low priority):

I use the heck out of exporting to Delorme and Mapsource.  Normally, I only export "notfounds", so I only see blue pushpins.  Every once in awhile, I'll export my whole big GSAK DB, with everything.  This gen's 4 pushpins (found, not found, archived/unavailable, and placed).  WAD, and quite well.

Request:  A fifth pin, "found, but archived/unavailable."  Red+Grey = um, Orange maybe?  Brown? 

Purely for fun, not important at all.  But hey, if easily doable then cool.  If not, no biggie.

Thanks Clyde! Keep up the good work!

You can do this now with the help if Icon overrides. There is a little bit of work up front to get it right, but you only need to do it once and you can also put the lot in a macro so it then becomes a one click action.

We will go through the process for MapSouce, but the procedure is just about the same for the Delorme export

Firstly save you current MapSource settings (File=>Export=>MapSource then click on the "save" button) - lets call them "normal"

Now, with the MapSource dialog showing click on the "change" button.

If you can't see the "Override icons" at the bottom of the screen, click on the "Advanced" icons button.

In the type drop down box, select "All waypoints". Then in the icon drop down box select the icon you want to allocate to your required selection criteria (In your case this is found unavailable caches). Now click on the green arrow pointing to the right so that the "All waypoints = xxxx" now shows as the last item in your active box (it may well be the only item)

Click on the "save" button to return to the MapSource dialog, then click on the MapSource "Save" button to save these settings - lets give them a name of "unavailable"

Now to generate a MapSource file that has all the found but archived/unavailable caches first set a filter that matches this criteria, then do the MapSource export making sure to select the "unavailable" settings from the drop down box.

Now to generate a MapSource file that has all the normal icons (excluding found unavailable caches) set the filter as above but also tick the box "Reverse filter" , then do the MapSource export making sure to select the "normal" settings from the drop down box.

By using the icon override section you can effectively generate different icons for any group of waypoints that you can set a filter on.

For anybody who's interested...

Based on a quick macro from Papatom2 (thanks Papatom!) I kinda did like Clyde was suggesting. I used a lot of settings/filters/etc to do exports to generate different pin types.

I ended up with 5 or 6 delorme TXT files. I asked a local cacher who knows more Perl than me to come up with a quick script to consolidate those TXT files into one. (thanks Jeshom!)

Here's his code and my batch file to run it. I've named it "z.pl" for no particular reason. Should work fine on any platform, and I can tell you it works great with cygwin's perl5 package - from a native DOS window. Change the "cd" directory to whever you have your TXT files saved, and of course if you don't have perl in your path (I don't), add the requisite path to perl.exe. The first parameter after z.pl is the "resulting new" TXT file; all the rest are the GSAK-generated files to take action on.

So syntax would be (in windows): "perl z.pl outfilename infilename1 infilename2 infilenameN+1"

Perl Code:

open OUT, "> " . shift or die "Opening outfile: $!\n";
print OUT "BEGIN SYMBOL\n" . (join '', grep(!/^(BEGIN SYMBOL|END)\r?$/, <>)) . "END\n";
close OUT;

DOS Batch:

@echo off
cd "\Delorme Docs\Draw\subcache"
\cygwin\bin\perl z.pl ame.txt active_found.txt active_notfound.txt archived_found.txt archived_notfound.txt disabled_found.txt disabled_notfound.txt
copy /y ame.txt .. >nul

Anywho... Net result of the code is that you can smash a bunch of Delorme exports into one file. Code provided as-is. Hope this post makes sense. B) Enjoy.

Another question... can you filter for a certain direction like South or East?

Yes, GSAK can filter for any direction. From the menus "Search" -> "Filter" -> "Other tab" -> "Bearing" on right top-middle of page.

@echo off
\cygwin\bin\perl z.pl   active_found.txt active_notfound.txt archived_found.txt archived_notfound.txt disabled_found.txt disabled_notfound.txt
copy /y ame.txt .. >nul

Nice. I use Perl for some tasks, but some may not want to install Cygwin and/or Perl to do this. I think I'm understanding your files are in the format that GPSBabel knows as "XMAP". If so, this is equivalent to what you wrote:

gpsbabel -i xmap -f ame.txt active_found.txt active_notfound.txt archived_found.txt archived_notfound.txt disabled_found.txt disabled_notfound.txt -o xmap -F ../ame.txt -F ame.txt

(I wasn't sure if the two copies of ame.txt was intentional or just work product, so I mimicked it anyway.)

For anybody who's interested...

Based on a quick macro from Papatom2 (thanks Papatom!) I kinda did like Clyde was suggesting. I used a lot of settings/filters/etc to do exports to generate different pin types.

I ended up with 5 or 6 delorme TXT files. I asked a local cacher who knows more Perl than me to come up with a quick script to consolidate those TXT files into one. (thanks Jeshom!)

Here's his code and my batch file to run it. I've named it "z.pl" for no particular reason. Should work fine on any platform, and I can tell you it works great with cygwin's perl5 package - from a native DOS window. Change the "cd" directory to whever you have your TXT files saved, and of course if you don't have perl in your path (I don't), add the requisite path to perl.exe. The first parameter after z.pl is the "resulting new" TXT file; all the rest are the GSAK-generated files to take action on.

So syntax would be (in windows): "perl z.pl outfilename infilename1 infilename2 infilenameN+1"

Perl Code:

open OUT, "> " . shift or die "Opening outfile: $!\n";
print OUT "BEGIN SYMBOL\n" . (join '', grep(!/^(BEGIN SYMBOL|END)\r?$/, <>)) . "END\n";
close OUT;

DOS Batch:

@echo off
\cygwin\bin\perl z.pl ame.txt active_found.txt active_notfound.txt archived_found.txt archived_notfound.txt disabled_found.txt disabled_notfound.txt
copy /y ame.txt .. >nul

Anywho... Net result of the code is that you can smash a bunch of Delorme exports into one file. Code provided as-is. Hope this post makes sense. B) Enjoy.

Thanks.

PS - Don't forget you can then use the macro command RUNPGM to acually run the dos batch file at the very end to combine the files.

This way the whole process will be done via the macro and you don't have to remember to run your batch file outside of GSAK

I use GSAK on a very old POS laptop (300mhz Dell Inspiron).  It sits on the seat beside me in my truck when I'm caching. 

When I start a day of caching, I usually have a Backup of my main database on a memory stick that I want to load into GSAK on the laptop.

Unfortuantly as is usally the case, GSAK determines that GSAK was improperly shutdown the last time... and with this old POS laptop it takes quite some time for it to check and repair the database that is just going to be wiped anyway with a restore from the USB Memory Stick.

Could an option be added to the command line for GSAK for a "Dump and Load.... dump the existing database and restore from path"?

Ok, I have a work around for you now.

Warning: You should only use this work around when you know you are going to replace the database with a restore. If GSAK has detected your last termination is abnormal, you should normally let it do the repair/defrag.

Just open the file gsak.ini (in the install folder of GSAK) in your favourite text editor. Now search for the line:

Finish=Abnormal

Change this to

Finish=Normal

Save the file and start GSAK - It will no longer go through the repair/defrag and GSAK will fire up within seconds.

As a side note, the next version or GSAK has many speed improvements - one being a quicker repair/defrag process.

Edited by ClydeE
Since explorist [456]00's only have USB ports and GSAK/GPSBabel supports them already, I'm puzzled by your stated exception of "except concerning USB ports".

GSAK works swimmingly with Explorist units with USB.

When I go into options and select "Magellan", the USB checkbox is disabled. If I select "Garmin", the USB checkbox is enabled, but doesn't work with my Magellan eXplorist. So what do I need to do to get USB support working with my GPS unit?? B)

And/Or a "Cancel and start GSAK later. I have a large database and a 2 year old who thinks the off button is just a hoot!

I will add this one to "the list", however as per my previous post I think you will find the next version of GSAK will make this scenario far more palatable

Since explorist [456]00's only have USB ports and GSAK/GPSBabel supports them already, I'm puzzled by your stated exception of "except concerning USB ports".

When I go into options and select "Magellan", the USB checkbox is disabled. If I select "Garmin", the USB checkbox is enabled, but doesn't work with my Magellan eXplorist. So what do I need to do to get USB support working with my GPS unit?? B)

File=>Export=>Magellan eXplorist.....

File=>Export=>Magellan eXplorist.....

Hehe... yeah I knew that. Just testing you! B)

Thank you very much, Clyde.

Edited by gmichealson

It's been a while since I've visited any GSAK thread and checked up on the advances. Heck, it's not like I get to go out and cache much either.

But, I've keep up with the upgrades and keep an ongoing database, so when the opportunity hit to take a trip, I loaded up the GPS and PDA.

The advances of just being able to just go directly to the gc.com log page is a HUGE time saver! Finding the caches with the name search sped finding the one I wanted to log greatly as well. I was able to log all of my finds in less than half the time as before.

Thanks for the hard work with this program. It would still be a bargain at twice the price.

Signed,

A Supremely Satisfied Customer

I'm not sure if this is a GSAK issue or a CacheMate issue. When exporting a CacheMate PDB file, I only get one log, the most recent. If there are user notes in the log, that's the only log I find in CacheMate. I'm using a Palm Tungsten E, Palm OS Ver 5.2.1, CacheMate Ver 4.0.4. Since there's a box labeled "Limit number of logs to export" I'm assuming that there should be more logs. In the export dialog box I have the Name set for %smart, Max characters 12, 'Install to Palm after conversion' is checked, all options are checked except State/Country, which is UNchecked. Limit nbr of logs to export=5, Always include my logs = UNchecked (but results are the same either checked or UNchecked). The cmconvert.exe in my GSAK folder is dated 4/6/2004 & the Readme file says it's version 1.8.4. I'm using WinXP, GSAK Ver 5.6.0, and my HTML setting for number of logs in offline pages is set to 10.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Don aka FlaXJer

I am trying to write a macro that will generate a cachemate database for me and install it on the SD card. After quite a bit of searching around I managed to get QuickInstall installed on my machine (it doesn't come with the Sony Clie desktop). I then found PDAInstall which allows me to specify where I want the database to end up.

Now my problem is that I want to use the RUNPGM command in a macro. I need to generate the command

RUNPGM pgm="c:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\PDAInstall.exe" Wait=No parms=-u "Louis S" -v1 "C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\home.PDB"

The problem are the parameters to be sent to PDAInstall. The parms argument needs to have quotes around it as well as the parameters to PDAInstall. Therefore I can't (as least I haven't been able to determine how to) include the quotes inside of the quoted string. The -u token indicates the name of the PDA user, and in my case, includes a space. The file name also includes a space and may change so I may not know the short name. I need to be able to pass the quote characters themselves to PDAInstall. Any suggestions?

GSAK is a great program. Guess I should have started using it sooner. B)

Thanks!

I am trying to write a macro that will generate a cachemate database for me and install it on the SD card. After quite a bit of searching around I managed to get QuickInstall installed on my machine (it doesn't come with the Sony Clie desktop). I then found PDAInstall which allows me to specify where I want the database to end up.

Now my problem is that I want to use the RUNPGM command in a macro. I need to generate the command

RUNPGM pgm="c:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\PDAInstall.exe" Wait=No parms=-u "Louis S" -v1 "C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\home.PDB"

The problem are the parameters to be sent to PDAInstall. The parms argument needs to have quotes around it as well as the parameters to PDAInstall. Therefore I can't (as least I haven't been able to determine how to) include the quotes inside of the quoted string. The -u token indicates the name of the PDA user, and in my case, includes a space. The file name also includes a space and may change so I may not know the short name. I need to be able to pass the quote characters themselves to PDAInstall. Any suggestions?

GSAK is a great program. Guess I should have started using it sooner. B)

Thanks!

The parms argument gets special treatment in the GSAK macro language.

You do not need to surround this string in double quotes.

That is, what ever you have after the parms= token will be passed verbatim to the program you are running (Exactly as if you had run this program from the command line)

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I just started downloading my waypoings to an SD card for my Meridian Gold and it works well doing that...the problem is last night while caching I figured out that not all the waypoints show up...I just did another download thinking maybe I haden't done a download since these new caches came out and they still don't show up...

I have removed the waypoimts from the card and did a download directly to the GPSr and they show up that way so it's something I'm doing wrong when sending to the card...

Can someone please help?

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I just started downloading my waypoings to an SD card for my Meridian Gold and it works well doing that...the problem is last night while caching I figured out that not all the waypoints show up...I just did another download thinking maybe I haden't done a download since these new caches came out and they still don't show up...

I have removed the waypoimts from the card and did a download directly to the GPSr and they show up that way so it's something I'm doing wrong when sending to the card...

Can someone please help?

How many are you expecting to show up, and what does the reality seem to be? Are you using any special tags that may be leading to dupicate names (and thus overwriting)?

Can someone please help?

I had this same issue until I realize that .gpx files can contain more than one waypoint. You need to run a query (see http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/ for info on this) that contains many waypoints within one .gpx file, then import that file into your GPS. Once you've done that, you should be able to "select" that file, then see all those waypoints.

I'm not sure if this is a GSAK issue or a CacheMate issue. When exporting a  CacheMate PDB file, I only get one log, the most recent. If there are user notes in the log, that's the only log I find in CacheMate. I'm using a Palm Tungsten E, Palm OS Ver 5.2.1, CacheMate Ver 4.0.4. Since there's a box labeled "Limit number of logs to export" I'm assuming that there should be more logs. In the export dialog box I have the Name set for %smart, Max characters 12, 'Install to Palm after conversion' is checked, all options are checked except State/Country, which is UNchecked. Limit nbr of logs to export=5, Always include my logs = UNchecked (but results are the same either checked or UNchecked). The cmconvert.exe in my GSAK folder is dated 4/6/2004 & the Readme file says it's version 1.8.4. I'm using WinXP, GSAK Ver 5.6.0, and my HTML setting for number of logs in offline pages is set to 10.

Don aka FlaXJer

It looks to me like your software is current (same versions and dates as mine) and your settings are correct, and I get the specified number of logs. I looked through both GSAK and Cachemate and can't figure it out either. Perhaps Clyde will have an idea.

You might also want to post in the Cachemate forum to see if Maeglin knows what's happening (i.e. if it's on the Cachemate end).

Edited by Kai Team
I'm not sure if this is a GSAK issue or a CacheMate issue. When exporting a  CacheMate PDB file, I only get one log, the most recent. If there are user notes in the log, that's the only log I find in CacheMate. I'm using a Palm Tungsten E, Palm OS Ver 5.2.1, CacheMate Ver 4.0.4. Since there's a box labeled "Limit number of logs to export" I'm assuming that there should be more logs. In the export dialog box I have the Name set for %smart, Max characters 12, 'Install to Palm after conversion' is checked, all options are checked except State/Country, which is UNchecked. Limit nbr of logs to export=5, Always include my logs = UNchecked (but results are the same either checked or UNchecked). The cmconvert.exe in my GSAK folder is dated 4/6/2004 & the Readme file says it's version 1.8.4. I'm using WinXP, GSAK Ver 5.6.0, and my HTML setting for number of logs in offline pages is set to 10.

Don aka FlaXJer

It looks to me like your software is current (same versions and dates as mine) and your settings are correct, and I get the specified number of logs. I looked through both GSAK and Cachemate and can't figure it out either. Perhaps Clyde will have an idea.

You might also want to post in the Cachemate forum to see if Maeglin knows what's happening (i.e. if it's on the Cachemate end).

Sorry to say I have little idea what the problem could be.

However, you could try doing the steps manually to try and track down the error.

That is, instead if taking the File=>Export=>Cachemate option directly:

1. File=>Export=>GPX to generate a GPX file

2. Run CMConvert on this file and download to your PDA

Still only 1 log?

Nice. I use Perl for some tasks, but some may not want to install Cygwin and/or Perl to do this. I think I'm understanding your files are in the format that GPSBabel knows as "XMAP". If so, this is equivalent to what you wrote:

gpsbabel -i xmap -f ame.txt active_found.txt active_notfound.txt archived_found.txt archived_notfound.txt disabled_found.txt disabled_notfound.txt -o xmap -F ../ame.txt -F ame.txt

(I wasn't sure if the two copies of ame.txt was intentional or just work product, so I mimicked it anyway.)

Um, yeah, that'd do the trick too. ;)

The "ame.txt" is the "output-to file" that was generated in the perl script, so it should only be there once, I think.

I've not played with gpsbabel command line much, so I was unfamiliar with that option. Yours is definitely much more efficient; mine is just a personal hack for lack of something better to do.

(snipping my own post for brevity)

Thanks.

PS - Don't forget you can then use the macro command RUNPGM to acually run the dos batch file at the very end to combine the files.

This way the whole process will be done via the macro and you don't have to remember to run your batch file outside of GSAK

I had already done that, Clyde, just didn't mention it in my post. I've now got a button on my toolbar that does everything, including RUMPGM at the end. Works like a champ. Thanks for your help!

I ended up with 5 or 6 delorme TXT files.  I asked a local cacher who knows more Perl than me to come up with a quick script to consolidate those TXT files into one.

For some reason I didn't notice this message. Now Perl is a nice glue language letting you do all kinds of things that OS's don't provide. But it isn't required to combine text files "copy" has options for this.

copy /a /y active_found.txt+active_notfound.txt+archived_found.txt+archived_notfound.txt+disabled_found.txt+disabled_notfound.txt ame.txt

The /a means the files are ascii and may need EOF character removed the "+" show which files to combine, and of course the copy is all one long line.

Edited by AllenLacy
ClydeE  Posted on Jul 13 2005, 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Kai Team @ Jul 14 2005, 07:44 AM)

QUOTE (FlaXJer @ Jul 13 2005, 11:18 AM)

Don aka FlaXJer

Sorry to say I have little idea what the problem could be.

However, you could try doing the steps manually to try and track down the error.

That is, instead if taking the File=>Export=>Cachemate option directly:

1. File=>Export=>GPX to generate a GPX file

2. Run CMConvert on this file and download to your PDA

Still only 1 log?

(Blush!) This is very embarrassing! Clyde, thanks for the help, it got me looking in the right direction. I followed your advice and exported to a .GPX file and messed with the command line version of CMConvert in the GSAK folder with no luck. It's been a long time since I've messed with old DOS 6.2 and command lines. It occurred to me that there was another CMConvert in the CacheMate folder, so used that and converted to the .pdb file. Did the Hotsync and checked for logs. Only one. I then started messing with the PDA and pushed the little button on the bottom. Lo & behold, more logs! I'd been looking for a little scroll arrow on the side, which wasn't there. (Hey, cut me a LITTLE slack, I've only had the Palm a little over a week! ;) ) I then tried an export direct from GSAK and again, the logs were there, I just hadn't figured out how to find them. Anyhow, all is well with GSAK & CacheMate. Thanks for the push in the right direction, Clyde, and thanks to Kia Team for confirming I was up to date and had the correct settings.

Don

(Blush!) This is very embarrassing! Clyde, thanks for the help, it got me looking in the right direction. I followed your advice and exported to a .GPX file and messed with the command line version of CMConvert in the GSAK folder with no luck. It's been a long time since I've messed with old DOS 6.2 and command lines. It occurred to me that there was another CMConvert in the CacheMate folder, so used that and converted to the .pdb file. Did the Hotsync and checked for logs. Only one. I then started messing with the PDA and pushed the little button on the bottom. Lo & behold, more logs! I'd been looking for a little scroll arrow on the side, which wasn't there. (Hey, cut me a LITTLE slack, I've only had the Palm a little over a week! :lol: ) I then tried an export direct from GSAK and again, the logs were there, I just hadn't figured out how to find them. Anyhow, all is well with GSAK & CacheMate. Thanks for the push in the right direction, Clyde, and thanks to Kia Team for confirming I was up to date and had the correct settings.

Don

Please don't be embarrassed, we all have to start some where. Stuff like this can be frustrating :) , so I am glad you got to the bottom of it.

I am also very happy that you took the time to let us all know what the issue was.

I often get users emailing me with problems. I can't always give solutions, but I do try to point them in the right direction if the problem is not obvious. It is so much better when I get feedback from the user indicating what the issue was, rather than me left wondering if it was some obscure bug in GSAK. :laughing:

Edited by ClydeE
(Blush!) This is very embarrassing! ... I then started messing with the PDA and pushed the little button on the bottom. Lo & behold, more logs! I'd been looking for a little scroll arrow on the side, which wasn't there...

I agree with Clyde that you shouldn't be embarrassed - I've been using Palm's for 6 years and Cachemate for over a year and it didn't occur to me to ask if/how you were scrolling the logs! We all make assumptions that can keep us from seeing the answer!