Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

I've got a problem just recently when trying to run filters in GSAK. I've begun receiving the following error. Also, is there a reason it is trying to reference this file via an administrative share instead of the direct file path?

Cannot open file \\HIDDENMACHINENAME\c$\Program Files\GSAK\temp\arclist.txt

Very strange.

GSAK should be looking for this file in the "temp" folder of your installation folder of GSAK.

The error would also indicate you are loading an arc/polygon filter. I have seen this error once before when there is no selection for the "filter type"

Go to Search=>Filter and select the saved filter that is causing the problem. Now click on the arch/poly tab and make sure you have selected one of the three available filter types.

Now that we can finally download waypoints to the GSPr from GSAK, I have a question.

We want, on the GPSr, to have the GCXXX names as the waypoints; I keept getting the names. What do I need to do to correct this please?

Thanks

Although it took me a while to figure it out, I started using the "smart name" along with other codes to get more information on my GPSr.

I use %con1%typ1%smart=6 to tell me instantly the size of the container as well as the type of the cache, followed by six characters of the cache name.

That is so much more useful than the GC name.

I use that same format when exporting to Cachemate.

If I'm exporting to my maps, I add the code for the Difficulty and Terrain.

The Smart Name feature is one of the best things about GSAK, IMHO. :unsure:

We want, on the GPSr, to have the GCXXX names as the waypoints; I keept getting the names.  What do I need to do to correct this please?

Just like birddog14 said you can use the %code tag if you want the GCXXXX code the way it appears on gc.com. There are also many other tags you can use to create custom names. I for example use %typ1%con1%drop2 which gives the Type as the first character the Container as the second and the last 4 digits of the GCXXXX code as the last 4 (note that the GC just means geocache and it does not need to be there to identify your cache from all others, you just need the last for digits). This way when I look on my GPSr I can see right away the type and size of the of the cache I’m looking for (ie..TR1234 would be a Traditional Regular sized cache where as ML2345 would be a Multi Large sized cache). So defiantly take a look at the special tags section in the help file.

We want, on the GPSr, to have the GCXXX names as the waypoints; I keept getting the names.  What do I need to do to correct this please?

Just like birddog14 said you can use the %code tag if you want the GCXXXX code the way it appears on gc.com. There are also many other tags you can use to create custom names. I for example use %typ1%con1%drop2 which gives the Type as the first character the Container as the second and the last 4 digits of the GCXXXX code as the last 4 (note that the GC just means geocache and it does not need to be there to identify your cache from all others, you just need the last for digits). This way when I look on my GPSr I can see right away the type and size of the of the cache I’m looking for (ie..TR1234 would be a Traditional Regular sized cache where as ML2345 would be a Multi Large sized cache). So defiantly take a look at the special tags section in the help file.

damel, thanks for the response. Since I was using the "help" portion of the GSAK and not off the website, it was a little daunting and somewhat confusing. I appreciate the help.

I understand that theres many different ways to have them displayed, it's just so much easier for us to do the GC codes. Guess we are stuck in our ways! heehee...

Again, many thanks! We truly appreciate it.

Lexie aka the "Mrs" of the Mr and Mrs Hydrogeologist

All right - it's time for my GSAK stupid question of the month. well actually two questions.

I use GSAK as my GC database, output files to my palm (cachemate) and for MS S&T.

My questions - since I can't seem to find it in the help sections:

1. When I cache, I use the palm to log my finds and write notes. Then I hand write the notes back on the GC.com site and it updates my found caches. I also delete these caches off of the palm by dumping the found files. Is there a way to "automate" this process so I also don't have to go into GSAK and manually delete each cache?

2. - the really stupid question! I currently run 4 PQ's, one for two of my most common locations (499 caches each week) and the same two locations limited to the closest 180 caches for dumping on my explorist. Is there a way (I know there is) to find the nearest 180 caches in GSAK from say my home, output that to a .gs or .gpx file and then dump that file over to the explorist? This way, I could just download the closest 499 and then filter from there.

Thanks for a great tool.

1. When I cache, I use the palm to log my finds and write notes. Then I hand write the notes back on the GC.com site and it updates my found caches. I also delete these caches off of the palm by dumping the found files. Is there a way to "automate" this process so I also don't have to go into GSAK and manually delete each cache?

Yes, you can automate all this with a macro (including updating your GSAK notes with your Cachmate notes, then getting GSAK to log these at gc.com).

You will find a macro called CacheMateLog.txt that will do this very thing here http://gsak.net/Macros.php

You may actually find it does more than you want, so if you have macro knowledge you can alter it to suit your individual needs

2. - the really stupid question! I currently run 4 PQ's, one for two of my most common locations (499 caches each week) and the same two locations limited to the closest 180 caches for dumping on my explorist. Is there a way (I know there is) to find the nearest 180 caches in GSAK from say my home, output that to a .gs or .gpx file and then dump that file over to the explorist? This way, I could just download the closest 499 and then filter from there.

You can find the nearest nn caches from any location or waypoint

First select the location (Centre Point=>Locations). If you have not set up a centre point for one of the locations do so via Tools=>Options=>Locations. Now just set a filter on the first 180 waypoints (they will now be automatically sorted by distance from this centre point) by going to UserFlags=>Clear all (to make sure all user flags are clear) then User flags=>Set for next nn and enter 180. Now just set a filter on UserFlag = Set.

It is even easier if you do this via the EXPORT macro command because after selecting the loction you can just use the From and To tokens on this command

1. When I cache, I use the palm to log my finds and write notes.  Then I hand write the notes back on the GC.com site and it updates my found caches.  I also delete these caches off of the palm by dumping the found files.  Is there a way to "automate" this process so I also don't have to go into GSAK and manually delete each cache?

You should take a look at CM2GPX on http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/tools.php . This program is used to convert CacheMate backup or import PDB files to equivalent GPX files. In other words get the notes you have in the palm to a GPX file that you can import to GSAK. For automation use the GSAK Macro CacheMateLog.txt from http://gsak.net/Macros.php. This marcro will actually do all the importing for you and open the notes and the online log page which allows you to copy the log (closest thing to 100% automation right now). Then it moves to the next log...etc. (Note: Just make sure you have logged in to gc.com before you start the macro or you may get a weird error). I'm not sure why you want to delete the found caches as you can just filter these with GSAK's filters, but if you still wanted to CacheMateLog.txt can automatically flag the found geocaches which makes deleting them simple (depending on your settings specified).

For this you should have a look at the filters in GSAK. You can easily filter from a location. First mark your home location with your gps. Then open GSAK and use the menu "Tools" -> "Options" -> "Locations tab" to enter your home location (just follow the example Home, S32 25.921, E 115 46.050 ). Now you can use this to filter out just the closest caches. In the main GSAK window click on the locations select box at the top and you will see your location listed. Select this and then everything is ordered by distance from this point. By using the GPS output from GSAK you can easily restrict the number of caches sent to your GPSr so that only the closest 180 are sent.

Thanks guys - once again GSAK comes through in the clutch!

now - if only it wasn't 50 miles to the nearest cache.......

Alas, there are some things that GSAK can't do :rolleyes:

But as far a geocaching there is nothing that I can think of. Be-a-Jayhawk, you should really look into the macro abilities of GSAK, they are great. I for example press one button and the closest 750 caches to me (not-found, available only) and the closest 100 benchmarks (not-found only) are sent to both my GPSr and to my Palm (via CacheMate). I used to spend 10 minute filtering and sending in GSAK but then I found macros. You will never look back if you do :anibad: Thanks Clyde!!!

What have I done? I go to export the GSAK database to cachemate and it looks like it goes well but when cmconvert is finished I only get 26 waypoints converted. The database has 2600 +-. I have tried to cout it back to 200, same thing. It worked before! I have looked at everything pretty closely, reloaded 5.6 again, and repaired the Database, Am I missing something?

Cheers

Muddler

I assume you are noticing this problem because you are seeing only 26 records in the PDA when the category "All" is selected; rather than noticing that the export dialog only counts up to 26 - I assume it counts up to 2600+-.

Here are some things to check:

Within GSAK on the export to Cachemate pdb dialog, verify that the "Install to Palm after conversion" checkbox is checked.

Did you tell your PDA to Hotsync so as to force the file to travel from the PC to the PDA?

If so, check your hotsync log for messages.(on PDA click the hotsync icon on the screen and select the log button). If it tells you that the PDA ran out of memory, then you can diagnose the problem as follows; on the main PalmOS menu click on the tab at the top left (where the time shows), under Apps select Info. You can scroll down to see which files are hogging the memory.

I've got a custom URL to pull up the Google satellite page from GSAK, but I can't seem to figure out what I need to change to have it pull up the map view instead.

Any suggestions?

Not sure what custom URL you are using (perhaps you can post it) but the following entry in my custom URLs seems to bring up the map view for me

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/?sll=%lat,%lon&q=%lat,%lon

I figured out from one set of commands how to fix the other and now I have both putting in the flag --

----------------

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat,%lon&spn=0.001,0.001&t=kn&q=%lat,%lon

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/?sll=%lat,%lon&q=%lat,%lon

hope this helps - cut and paste 'em in if you want - I use the dotted lines and blank lines as separators in the listing to help find things -

cc\

I am getting the following to work (these have the zoom factors that I prefer):

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/?q=%lat,%lon&spn=0.015445,0.028824&hl=en

Google SatPhoto=http://maps.google.com/?q=%lat,%lon&spn=0.004954,0.007206&t=k&hl=en

It seems that:

spn is the zoom factor,

t selects betwen maps and photo

hl is the language en=english, fr=french

I would be interested in getting the waypoint code or waypoint name to display in the bubble. Has anyone figured out how to do that?

Looks like this does the trick

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%name)&hl=en

This would imply you can use any GSAK special tags with this syntax

Cool. Also works with:

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%drop2 %name)&hl=en

So you can use other GSAK special tags!

HYNR:

Thanks for the reply! Actually, I do the export to cachemate from within GSAK and I get the progress bar, it then goes to the cmconvert and works for a little while and comes back and says "26 waypoints converted." The file size (pdb) is about 75 K. It has been 5-6 Mb. I can export to a GPX file and do the convert using CMConvert outside of GSAK and I get the expected 5-6Mb file (PDB) to install on the Palm. I have used the "send to palm" check box and it has resulted in the same file size (75K) and "26 waypoints converted"

Muddler

Edited by Muddler

Hi Clyde.

Great app. I'm just getting the hang of it! I have a question. A friend of mine emailed me a gpx file he had been working with so I could see what a large file looks like in GSAK. I want to use these myself, but his caches are already marked in yellow...as found, of course. How can I reset these caches back to an unfound status?

Thanks!

Great app. I'm just getting the hang of it! I have a question. A friend of mine emailed me a gpx file he had been working with so I could see what a large file looks like in GSAK. I want to use these myself, but his caches are already marked in yellow...as found, of course. How can I reset these caches back to an unfound status?

Just set a filter on these caches then do a Global replace.

That is, Search=>Filter and select found only

Now, Database=>Global Replace... and in the dialog box select "Found Status" from the first drop down box and "Not found" from the second.

Now just click on the "Replace button" and all these caches will have the found status removed.

GSAK allows you to change just about any column for a group of records this way.

By the same thinking, this works for Google Satellite View:

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=%lat+%lon+(%code-%name)&spn=0.020,0.020&t=k

or of course any other %tag seems to work here too.

Hello Clyde

a feature request.

For a few caches I included pictures in my notes. I saw this was a link to my directory where I stored these files.

This is great and will not blow up the database.

Then I made a html export and these links were included to these directories. But if I transfer these html-files to the pda/PPC the links are broken.

Is it possible to make a check-option for the html-export where GSAK will copy these pictures directly to the export directory? Also change the link to the local dir. If I copy the export dir to the pda/ppc the pictures are included. This would be great and I think many people will appreciate it.

edited for spelling

Edited by bassoonde
a feature request.

For a few caches I included pictures in my notes. I saw this was a link to my directory where I stored these files.

This is great and will not blow up the database.

Then I made a html export and these links were included to these directories. But if I transfer these html-files to the pda/PPC the links are broken.

Is it possible to make a check-option for the html-export where GSAK will copy these pictures directly to the export directory? Also change the link to the local dir. If I copy the export dir to the pda/ppc the picture are included. This would be great and I think many people will appreciate it.

Yes. :blink:

I have actually had quite a few requests for this via email so it's priority has climbed the ladder.

In fact, it has already been included in the current develpment version of GSAK so it will definitely pop up in the next public release :unsure:

I have actually had quite a few requests for this via email so it's priority has climbed the ladder.

In fact, it has already been included in the current development version of GSAK so it will definitely pop up in the next public release :huh:

Clyde is alway faster than the request. :unsure::blink:

So this feature could also act for spoiler pictures. Will this be allowed by GC.com? I'll personal download these pictures and add a link to my notes. This isn't done by an automated tool. So this should be OK.

Hi - long time user, first time caller. Actually hit my first snag with the program. I have the latest version of gsak, registered, and use it on a xp box.

The problem is exporting some records to cachemate. I also have the latest version of that, I think, also registered.

I've had no problems doing this in the past, and have exported many databases from gsak to cachemate with no problem. I'm traveling to the Seattle area to geocache next week, so I got 2 pq's of the area, which should cover me pretty well. First I tried combining them in gsak, and the thing (1000 records) wouldn't export - rather, the conversion ran fine, but the hotsync wouldn't complete - it hung as soon as the cachemate pdb started loading. So I tried splitting the job up - and the first half loaded up, all 500 caches. No problems. So I try loading the second half, and the same problem.

So I'm guessing there's some record in that pq that's causing some sort of problem. Maybe. Any ideas?

Edit, a few minutes later - I found a workaround , using the cmconvert program that came with the latest version of cachemate. So the problem is solved, at least for me, for the time being.

Edited by sduck
So I tried splitting the job up - and the first half loaded up, all 500 caches. No problems. So I try loading the second half, and the same problem.

So I'm guessing there's some record in that pq that's causing some sort of problem. Maybe. Any ideas?

All I can add is that size per se shouldn't be an issue...I was able to send a 3500 record file to cachemate with no problem. Your theory sounds most likely. You could split the problem half in half and see if you continue to have the same pattern, narrowing down the suspect group. Once it's reasonably small, you might just scan the names and/or other data for something that jumps out at you, and try leaving that out of the export.

Depending on how cumbersome this process is, you might also consider splitting the export into some other fraction (thirds, quarters, tenths, whatever).

Now, Database=>Global Replace... and in the dialog box select "Found Status" from the first drop down box and "Not found" from the second.

Yesssss!!! There it is! I knew you would likely have some way of doing this.

Many Thanks!

Edited by jujueye

I've decided to use the 'user data' field to mark the puzzle caches that I need to work on from home. If I load in new PQs, will this get rid of my entries in the user data field? I know you can lock the waypoint as a whole, but I would like the other stuff on the waypoint to still update.

T

Out of curiosity, I just pulled the stats for a geocaching related website I maintain. Here are the percentage of OS's accessing the site in the first week of July (a little over 1500 hits):

Windows XP 76.4 %

Mac OS 6.8 %

Windows 2000 6.5 %

Unknown 3.8 %

Windows 98 3.1 %

Linux 1.8 %

Windows Me 0.7 %

Windows NT 0.3 %

FreeBSD 0.2 %

When all versions are combined, Windows users represented 87% of hits on the site. If you add in the Mac users who can run GSAK under Virtual PC, it's over 93%.

This is not a scientific study, but it's pretty consistent from month to month and I think it's a reasonable representation of which OS geoachers use. Regardless of the merits of the various operating systems or the issues surrounding monopolies, it's easy to see why Clyde focuses his limited development resources on Windows users.

I've decided to use the 'user data' field to mark the puzzle caches that I need to work on from home. If I load in new PQs, will this get rid of my entries in the user data field? I know you can lock the waypoint as a whole, but I would like the other stuff on the waypoint to still update.

T

I've been using user notes in a similar way for some time and the notes are NOT overwritten.

Just be sure you do NOT check "Clear Database Before Loading" in the load dialog (that will erase ALL old data, as the warning states!).

Edit: I have "Database Update Options" and "Found Status Update Options" set to "always" - these do not overwrite the user notes.

Edited by Kai Team

No, new PQs from Groundspeak or any other source will not override any GSAK specific fields like User Data.

The only exception to this rule is if:

1. The GPX file has been exported by GSAK (from you or another user)

2. AND when the export was done the option "Include GSAK extra fields in export" was ticked

Edited by ClydeE

A question from a somewhat new user to GSAK:

Is it possible to have GSAK update my database by connecting to geocaching.com and getting the latest logs, etc? I put together a database for a trip I'm taking, however the trip is next week and the database is a couple weeks ago, so I'd like to get the latest information if some have been archived/unarchived. I don't know what happened to my pocket queries, can't find them on the computer and must have deleted them from my list on the website.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Blue

Edited by BlueNinja

Hello Everyone,

I still have this issue, and it remains unanswered. And the newer version of GSAK has not corrected the issue.

Earlier Unanswered Post @ http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...ic=96643&st=400

Here is the issue that I am having with GSAK.....

I am using GSAK and export to Garmin and Cachemate using the GSAK to export and I like to use the “Smart Name” instead of the "CODE". Nice and easy to find on both GPS/PDA.

cm2gpx converts the cMat.PDB and creates the .gpx <name> as the “Smart Name” as one would expect.

When I "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" GSAK finds no matches because it is trying to match using the “CODE” field not “Smart Name” the one I have chosen to use for exporting and expected to be used on importation. I noticed that the screen for Importing does notify me prior to the import that it going to use “Code” and not “Smart Name”

Is there any place to change the settings for the "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" feature so that it looks for the GSAK “Smart Name”. I have looked in the help and the forum I saw some mention of this around Apr 26 2005 but have not seen anything else, currently I am modifying the .gpx file manually to replace the “Smart Name” with the actual “Code” so that it will import.

As a side note:...Everything else is great about the software and it functions as I need. Thanks Clyde..Good Work.

Thank you

Tom

When I "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" GSAK finds no matches because it is trying to match using the “CODE” field not “Smart Name” the one I have chosen to use for exporting and expected to be used on importation. I noticed that the screen for Importing does notify me prior to the import that it going to use “Code” and not “Smart Name”

This is because smart names are the code now. That is, when you use cm2gpx to convert the CacheMate pdb file is places the the smart name into the code area of the GPX file - quite so becuase that is how they were given to CacheMate in the first place.

Is there any place to change the settings for the "File=>Load cachemate logs and finds" feature so that it looks for the GSAK “Smart Name”. I have looked in the help and the forum I saw some mention of this around Apr 26 2005 but have not seen anything else, currently I am modifying the .gpx file manually to replace the “Smart Name” with the actual “Code” so that it will import.

No, but I will add it to "the list"

Is it possible to have GSAK update my database by connecting to geocaching.com and getting the latest logs, etc? I put together a database for a trip I'm taking, however the trip is next week and the database is a couple weeks ago, so I'd like to get the latest information if some have been archived/unarchived. I don't know what happened to my pocket queries, can't find them on the computer and must have deleted them from my list on the website.

Is this possible?

No, you must use Pocket Queries to do this. However, there are issues with archived caches, so please see this post

The only way GSAK (or any other program for that matter) could go to the gc.com site and automatically update this information is by a method known as "scraping".

Groundspeak take a very dim view of this process (It is a violation of the TOU) and you are likely to get your IP address banned.

Edited by ClydeE
The only way GSAK (or any other program for that matter) could go to the gc.com site and automatically update this information is by a method known as "scraping".

What is "scraping". I can find no explaination of it. I see it listed with robots and spiders. Those I know. If scraping is what I think it is I see no reason for a macro or gsak not to do this. It most definitly can be done by "plucker". In fact Plucker is a spidering program and it's sanctioned by gsak.

PS you do get tern and diff from a loc file.

an application's ability to 'do it' neither makes it agreeable nor legal on the GC web site. In fact, as was stated earlier, you agreed not to, when you signed on to GC as a user. These types of programs usually require a great deal of bandwidth to do their jobs. If several were active, no one would be able to use the site at all. That is generally referred to as a denial of service attack - highly frowned upon, and in some cases illegal.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

What is "scraping". I can find no explaination of it. I see it listed with robots and spiders. Those I know. If scraping is what I think it is I see no reason for a macro or gsak not to do this. It most definitly can be done by "plucker". In fact Plucker is a spidering program and it's sanctioned by gsak.

Perhaps the best take on this I have seen is a comment from Robert Lipe and I quote (sorry, hope you don't mind Robert)

I have no inside knowledge here, but playing armchair lawyer and mindreader, my guess is that the key is that Plucker wasn't designed *specifically* to harvest their site, so they have less ground to object.

Perhaps they are aware of the original MPAA/VCR (maybe it was audio tapes, I can't recall) rulings which pointed out there were "legal" uses for these devices that didn't rip the man, so they can't fuss as much about those. Plucker can be used - for geocaching even - in ways that don't smack the site around - feeding it GSAK's HTML output is the obvious example.

Also, due to the move to ASP and the infestation of javascript-driven VIEWSTATE feedbacks, it's relatively difficult to point generic tools like plucker to the site and harvest more than 20 pages at a time. (I'm sure it's entirely coincidental that site changes were made about a year and a half ago that just happen to impede this kind of traffic.) In order to really show up on the load-o-meter, it really does take custom tools these days.

One by one, I've watched sites (Buxley, a number of local club sites, etc.) and tools to harvest the page get dropped by either technology or legal action.

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong." D. Miller.

I beg to differ. Below is a copy of a LOC file download from gc.com. Please show me where you see the difficulty and terrain in this file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">

<waypoint>

<name id="GCJAEZ"><![CDATA[Nyoongah Trail by TEAM LANDCRUISER]]></name>

<coord lat="-32.3712666666667" lon="115.827466666667"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCJAEZ</link>

</waypoint></loc>

Edited by ClydeE
Just wondering, whether there might be a Linux version of GSAK coming out in the future?

Sorry, but no :D

Thanks for the reply. I did expect that, but thought to ask anyway :D

Maybe I should try to write a program for myself :o

sorry if this is a repeat question, searching the forums is a challenge...

I filter by clicking the not found count at the bottom so I can create POI and Cachemate files as well as refresh my legend with waypoints.

Unfortunately, this always includes disabled caches. I cannot figure out how to not include the disabled caches.

Any help?

Edited by cachecrashers

Geocaching.com will not return any archived caches in your pocket queries, and therefore GSAK doesn't know that caches have been archived just from the data in your pq's.

My solution was to set up a filter to identify unfound caches that haven't been updated recently.

Assuming you get a new PQ every week or so, set up a filter that includes just caches unfound by you AND which have not been updated with a new GPX file in the past 10 days. You can adjust the number of days to match your refresh frequency and whatever margin you want to allow yourself.

You'll still have a few caches that were archived recently in your filter, but the problem will be greatly reduced.

I filter by clicking the not found count at the bottom so I can create POI and Cachemate files as well as refresh my legend with waypoints. 

Unfortunately, this always includes disabled caches.  I cannot figure out how to not include the disabled caches.

Any help?

As you've discovered, "available" caches are different than "unfound" (the latter includes caches you haven't found that aren't currently available). "Jon and Miki" is exactly right about archived caches. Step by step instructions (this is a good way to learn to use GSAK filters):

1. Click on the Search>Filter menu (or click on the filter icon on the toobar - looks like a magnifying glass held over a sheet of paper, or press CTRL-F, your choice).

2. On the "General" tab, under "Found Status", uncheck "Found" and check "Not Found" and "Exclude Caches Placed by You"

3. Under "available status", uncheck "Archived" and "Temporarily Unavailable"

4. On the "Dates" tab, for "Last Update GPX" enter a date that corresponds with the frequency of your Pocket Queries (e.g. if you get PQ's weekly, choose "Not During" the last "7" "days".

5. Click on "Save" and name the filter something appropriate (e.g. "Review for Archive"). You can now recall this filter whenever you want from the filter drop down ("Select a Saved Filter") in the toolbar.

6. Click on "Go" and GSAK will show you only the caches that were not updated in your last PQ. Click on each one individually and select "Online Waypoint URL". If the cache is available, do nothing. If the cache has been archived, right click on the waypoint in GSAK and choose "Cache Status", then "Set to Archived". This cache will be marked as archived and removed from the review filter. Repeat with each subsequent cache.

Now, use the GSAK "search" (filter) feature to find just the avaialble caches:

1. Click on the Search>Filter menu (or the icon or CTRL-F)

2. On the "General" Tab, under "Found Status", uncheck "Found" (leave "Unfound" and "Exclude Caches Placed by You" checked).

3. Under "Available Status", UNcheck everything except "Available".

4. Click on "Save" and name it something appropriate (e.g. "Available Caches"), so that you can use it from the drop down "Select a Saved Filter" in the future.

5. Click on "Go" and you'll have just the caches that are unfound (by you) and available, assuming you've marked the archived ones as noted above. You can now export these to your GPSr, or mapping software, and you're good to go!

In the future, just use the two saved filters you created above from the drop down list to 1) check for archived caches, and 2) filter the available ones!

I beg to differ. Below is a copy of a LOC file download from gc.com. Please show me where you see the difficulty and terrain in this file

<waypoint>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCJAEZ</link>

</waypoint></loc>

I haven't been looking at the file returned. I was looking at a gsak database screen. And in the database the tern and diff are shown. So I tried downloading a couple of caches of various levels of tern and diff. They all came up with a value of 1 in the diff and tern columns instead of being blank. Maybe we found a bug!

PS - I then looked at the loc file and you are correct they are not sent, just displayed.

Edited by papatom2

<waypoint>

<type>Geocache</type>

</waypoint></loc>

I haven't been looking at the file returned. I was looking at a gsak database screen. And in the database the tern and diff are shown. So I tried downloading a couple of caches of various levels of tern and diff. They all came up with a value of 1 in the diff and tern columns instead of being blank. Maybe we found a bug!

PS - I then looked at the loc file and you are correct they are not sent, just displayed.

I don't think I would call this a bug. Zero is an invalid value for difficulty and terrain, so GSAK populates these fields with 1.

Every time you load a LOC file GSAK does inform you about the limitations of this format, and in particular about the difficuly and terrain.

loc1.png

Well I'm Not sure if there is an actual solution to my problem. I have searched around and could not find anyone with this set up or probelm. Where to start...lol! The short version of the problem is importing waypoint info into Delorme Topo from GSAK.

Yes I know how to do it using the current methods decumented in the help file of GSAK. The problem is that a .txt file is created by GSAK to be imported. This creates Draw File to import. I would really like to import a Waypoint File (.an1) into Topo. I am not able to search the Draw File for indiviual waypoints in Delorme Topo, though I can search the Waypoint File.

My current work around is a little cumbersome, I send the waypoints to my GPS (from GSAK) and then import the waypoints to Topo from the GPS. The file created by this import is a .an1. Does anyone know a easier way to create this type with out the use of the GPS?

Thanks way in advance...

Aaron

Eastport, Maine

Aefuss  Posted on Jul 10 2005, 08:49 PM

Well I'm Not sure if there is an actual solution to my problem. I have searched around and could not find anyone with this set up or probelm. Where to start...lol! The short version of the problem is importing waypoint info into Delorme Topo from GSAK.

Yes I know how to do it using the current methods decumented in the help file of GSAK. The problem is that a .txt file is created by GSAK to be imported. This creates Draw File to import. I would really like to import a Waypoint File (.an1) into Topo. I am not able to search the Draw File for indiviual waypoints in Delorme Topo, though I can search the Waypoint File.

Don't believe gsak generates an .an1 file directly. BUT when you click on the .txt in DeLorme it will generate that file.

OK Clyde - My failing eyes is causing me problems. Should have read the box instead of cussing at it.

Aefuss  Posted on Jul 10 2005, 08:49 PM

Don't believe gsak generates an .an1 file directly. BUT when you click on the .txt in DeLorme it will generate that file.

That is how it works on my DeLorme system, no .an1 file until you open the GSAK created export.

Hey guys,

Got a question. I have been using GSAK for the last month or so. I plan on registering soon, but in the meantime got one question. When I open the program I get the nag screen, no big deal. When I go to the get mail option and click okay it brings up a nag screen. Again, no big deal, but after the 50 or whatever seconds I click okay and it closes down my get mail without downloading the pocket queries...any ideas? Thanks.

-Robbie

Hey guys,

Got a question. I have been using GSAK for the last month or so. I plan on registering soon, but in the meantime got one question. When I open the program I get the nag screen, no big deal. When I go to the get mail option and click okay it brings up a nag screen. Again, no big deal, but after the 50 or whatever seconds I click okay and it closes down my get mail without downloading the pocket queries...any ideas? Thanks.

-Robbie

Register now! :blink:

Seriously, it's hard to tell if the problem you're describing is related to the nag screen delay or some other setting (get mail can be tricky). ClydeE may know the answer, but if you plan to register "soon", why not do so now and eliminate a possible source of the problem?