Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Because I'm not too savvy on software, macros, and such, my only options are to either go through the raw data and replace each "UNK" with a more appropriate date, or to simply manually adjust the date with GSAK's waypoint editor. 

You may already know this, Thad, so forgive me if I'm suggesting the obvious. The NGS .dat files are just text files, so if you do a global search and replace in any text editor (such as Notepad) you could probably replace all those "UNK" with something of your choice

Thanks Embra,

Yeah, I had figgered so much. But with well over 600 waypoints to edit, I think I'll just edit them in GSAK as I come across them. I'd rather be finding good candidates than sifting and replacing data....

I have a long list of GPS data that I would like to import into GSAK from a .txt file.  This file only contains latitude, longitude, and a name (6 characters long).  Here is how a bit of it looks :

35.26285,-106.45042,AGSNCR

35.29148,-106.44107,AGSTH

35.28485,-106.44383,AGSWP1

35.28210,-106.44462,AGSWP2

These are all 35 degrees North and 106 degrees West.  I would like to retain the name given in the 3rd field in each line and create a waypoint for each of these.  Is there a simple way to read in all this data into GSAK without using another software program ?

Currently, GSAK can only load GPX or LOC files in the database.

However, it would be a snap for GPSBabel to convert this to an acceptable LOC file (using a style file)

If you are unsure how to do this, just email me the file and I will convert to LOC and send back to you. :unsure:

WOW!

now THAT'S service!

Nice going Clyde -

cc\

If you are not familiar with GPSBabel to be able to do this.....

I see uses for managing waypoints other than geocaches as well and would like to check out GPSBabel for myself (I hate bugging busy people and enjoy learning new applications). So does one need to install GPSBabel as a standalone program or is there a way to use it through the GSAK program (which totally rocks BTW!)?

If you are not familiar with GPSBabel to be able to do this.....

I see uses for managing waypoints other than geocaches as well and would like to check out GPSBabel for myself (I hate bugging busy people and enjoy learning new applications). So does one need to install GPSBabel as a standalone program or is there a way to use it through the GSAK program (which totally rocks BTW!)?

The GSAK install comes standard with GPSBabel built in, so you don't have to install it.

You will find a copy of GPSBabel in the install folder of GSAK.

Following on .....

albuquerquebill did take me up on this offer. So this is what I did for this one

Firstly I will assume you have a list of waypoints in this format and it resides in the foder c:\temp and has the file name other.txt

1. Make up a syle (lets call it other.stl and put it in c:\temp) that looks like this:

# FILE LAYOUT DEFINITIIONS:
#
FIELD_DELIMITER         COMMA
RECORD_DELIMITER        NEWLINE
BADCHARS                ,'

SHORTLEN                20
SHORTWHITE              0

#
# INDIVIDUAL DATA FIELDS, IN ORDER OF APPEARANCE:

IFIELD  LAT_DECIMAL, "", "%08.5f"
IFIELD  LON_DECIMAL, "", "%08.5f"
IFIELD  SHORTNAME, "", "%s"

2. Run GPSbabel from the install folder of GSAK with the following syntax:

gpsbabel -N -i xcsv,style=c:\temp\other.stl -f c:\temp\other.txt -o gpx -F "c:\temp\other.gpx"

Now you can just load the c:\temp\other.gpx file into GSAK just like any other GPX file

Edit: You can do this from inside GSAK using the "File=>Export=>Custom" option and pasting the above line into the "statement to run"

Edited by ClydeE
First part:

I have a large collection of waypoints that I call “Work Waypoints”.  These locations are places my business frequently take me to over a very large geographical area.  I exported the 70 waypoints from MapSource to a gpx file.  I then created a GSAK database named Work Waypoints (as you can see, I’m very imaginative with nomenclature) and imported them.

I would like to send all 70 to GSAK’s “locations”.  This would allow me to do quick sorting/filtering of caches nearest my business locations.  The intent here is also to have the center points and distances available in the PDA when I export to HTML.

Is there a way to send all of the waypoints en masse?  Doing them one by one is tedious.  But then I may be the only person thinking they need to, or there may be a better way doing this altogether.

Pen, There is actually a very easy way to do this. This is more of a work around until the next version of GSAK. If you already have all the locations in your MapSource file still and they are named correctly then your set.

Open MapSource and click on the 'waypoints' tab. Then select all the waypoints. Click 'Edit'->'copy' from the menu (or just ctrl-c). Next open up a new document in a spread sheet program like Excel. Paste the data you just copied from MapSource by clicking 'Edit'->'paste' in the menu (or just ctrl-v). Delete the columns you don't need (you will only need name, lat and log). Save the file as a common separated value file (.csv). Open this file in your favorite text browser (ie notepad) and copy the data directly into the locations tab of GSAK.

Thats it. Simple work around that should take less then five mins.

Edited by damel

ClydeE Posted on Jul 2 2005, 03:45 PM

First part:

This is another one that would be a snap for GPSBabel to do. Just run GPSBabel with a CSV style file that outputs in the same format as you see in Tools=>Options=>Locations. Then all you need to do is open the generated file in your favorite text editor, copy the contents, then paste into the GSAK locations

If you are not familiar with GPSBabel to be able to do this, just email me the GPX file and I will do the conversion and email back the text file.

Note: The next version of GSAK has updates to the macro language that makes this type of thing *very* easy. Even if you were not up to writing the macro, I (or others) could then just email you a macro that would do the job.

Second part:

Better support for non geocaching waypoints is on "the list". Perhaps not as involved as you have suggested, but certainly better than now. However, please note that you can now update the short description, long description, and hints. Both the short and long description support HTML. So at the very least you could put this extra information information into GSAK for viewing and searching.

Thank you Clyde, for anticipating the need. It seems to me there is a lot of potential for managing non-cache waypoints. I hope the investment of your time pays off for you.

I've looked at GPSBabel quite some time ago and it was a tad over my head then. I'll revisit and see if I can make it work. I'm also still trying to get the hang of macros. I have a little time on my hands this weekend so we'll see.

damel Posted on Jul 2 2005, 10:16 PM

Pen, There is actually a very easy way to do this. This is more of a work around until the next version of GSAK. If you already have all the locations in your MapSource file still and they are named correctly then your set.

Open MapSource and click on the 'waypoints' tab. Then select all the waypoints. Click 'Edit'->'copy' from the menu (or just ctrl-c). Next open up a new document in a spread sheet program like Excel. Paste the data you just copied from MapSource by clicking 'Edit'->'paste' in the menu (or just ctrl-v). Delete the columns you don't need (you will only need name, lat and log). Save the file as a common separated value file (.csv). Open this file in your favorite text browser (ie notepad) and copy the data directly into the locations tab of GSAK.

Thats it. Simple work around that should take less then five mins.

And thank you, damel. I had wondered about doing the cut'n'paste approach, but I think less of my ability to pull that off in five minutes. If my effort to wrestle macros and GPSBabel to the ground fail, I'll move on to this work around.

Thanks again to you both,

- Pen

Does anybody know if this is possible? What I would like to do is be able to see information about travel bugs. For example, it would be nice if you could export from GSAK some of the information on the travel bug page. You know, the name, the owner, the date released, origin, current goal, and the description (about this item). It would be nice if some of the recent posts could be downloaded also. Would this be possible, maybe using a macro? And then export it to like HTML so I could import it into my PDA.

This way, when I run across a travel bug in a cache, I could check to see if my taking the bug would interfere with it's goal or if I would be able to help it on it's journey.

Does anybody know if this is possible? What I would like to do is be able to see information about travel bugs. For example, it would be nice if you could export from GSAK some of the information on the travel bug page. You know, the name, the owner, the date released, origin, current goal, and the description (about this item). It would be nice if some of the recent posts could be downloaded also. Would this be possible, maybe using a macro? And then export it to like HTML so I could import it into my PDA.

This way, when I run across a travel bug in a cache, I could check to see if my taking the bug would interfere with it's goal or if I would be able to help it on it's journey.

Unforunately that type of travel bug information is not supplied in the GPX file so this is not possible.

Unforunately that type of travel bug information is not supplied in the GPX file so this is not possible.

Ok, is there any way to do this through a macro? If you look at the information within GSAK using split screen, you can see the URL for the travel bug (i.e. ref = TBG87T). Is there any way to follow this link within a macro and parse the information off the travel bug page and then write it to the user notes?

Ok, is there any way to do this through a macro? If you look at the information within GSAK using split screen, you can see the URL for the travel bug (i.e. ref = TBG87T). Is there any way to follow this link within a macro and parse the information off the travel bug page and then write it to the user notes?

Unfortunately this technique is known as "scraping" and Groundspeak take a very dim view of this practice and it violates the terms of Use.

TOU #5

"Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or ( B ) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may

use to prevent or restrict access to the Site."

Edited by ClydeE
Unfortunately this technique is known as  "scraping" and Groundspeak take a very dim view of this practice and it violates the terms of Use.

TOU #5

Ok, Clyde, thanks. I was hoping that you could do it because Groundspeak isn't very responsive to requests and you are (responsive, that is). Oh, well. Maybe one of these years they'll get around to allowing downloads of TB information, but I'm not going to hold my breath! laughing-smiley-015.gif

Please email me directly with screenshots of what you are doing and we should be able to track down the problem.

YFI to all other readers:

It seems that my described problem (saving several custom icon sets) must be a local problem. No idea why...

Anyway: Case closed.

Clyde was very fast on the track.

The whole support was very friendly and helpful in tracking down this issue. Thanks for it!!!

Regards,

Holger

I noticed that when filtering by "Travel Bug Name" the return will leave out caches if the travel bug name that you are looking for is more than 5 down on the list of a cache that has more than 5 travel bugs in it.

For example the cache "Travel Bug Hotel" has six or more travel bugs as follows:

Green Bug

Blue Bug

Red Bug

Yellow Bug

Black Bug

Orange Bug

If I wanted to filter all caches except ones that contain Travel Bug names of "Orange Bug" the result will not return this cache because it is sixth in the list. But if I filter by caches that contain "Black Bug" I will get a return on this cache.

Can there be a fix for this?

Edited by AB4N
I noticed that when filtering by "Travel Bug Name" the return will leave out caches if the travel bug name that you are looking for is more than 5 down on the list of a cache that has more than 5 travel bugs in it.

For example the cache "Travel Bug Hotel" has six or more travel bugs as follows:

Green Bug

Blue Bug

Red Bug

Yellow Bug

Black Bug

Orange Bug

If I wanted to filter all caches except ones that contain Travel Bug names of "Orange Bug" the result will not return this cache because it is sixth in the list. But if I filter by caches that contain "Black Bug" I will get a return on this cache.

Can there be a fix for this?

WOW ;) . I can replicate this "bug" and it must have been there since day 1.

I will fix in the next release

Unfortunately this technique is known as  "scraping" and Groundspeak take a very dim view of this practice and it violates the terms of Use.

TOU #5

Ok, Clyde, thanks. I was hoping that you could do it because Groundspeak isn't very responsive to requests and you are (responsive, that is). Oh, well. Maybe one of these years they'll get around to allowing downloads of TB information, but I'm not going to hold my breath! laughing-smiley-015.gif

I hope you can understand my position on this, as GSAK is now my livelyhood. Basically it boils down to this:

"If I don't play by the rules I will get taken out of the game" ;)

Clyde,

I apologize if this has been brought up already.. I've tried to skim through this thread, but I didn't see it. If it's been brought up, markwell me.

I have an Explorist. I was happy to see that the latest version of GSAK supports the geocaching files on the Explorist... but it gives an odd behavior, let me try to explain.

The datafields for waypoint name and comments seem to be reversed when using the geocache points. That is, I previously (on my Meridian) had the waypoint name as %smart=20 so that my geocaches were shown as the name of the cache. In the comment field, I had listed the D/T, and hider.

When using the geocache points for the Explorist, I have to swap the data in the two fields in order to get them to appear as I'd like. That is, in order for the geocache to have %smart=20 as the name displayed, I have to put %smart=20 in the box for comments.

I hope that makes sense... basically it seems that using the geocache points reverses the name and comment fields. Is this on purpose? Has this been mentioned?

Jamie

I hope you can understand my position on this, as GSAK is now my livelyhood. Basically it boils down to this:

"If I don't play by the rules I will get taken out of the game"  ;)

I understand your position exactly and I'm not complaining. Thanks for all that you do for us and keep up the great work! action-smiley-033.gif

I apologize if this has been brought up already.. I've tried to skim through this thread, but I didn't see it. If it's been brought up, markwell me.

I have an Explorist. I was happy to see that the latest version of GSAK supports the geocaching files on the Explorist... but it gives an odd behavior, let me try to explain.

The datafields for waypoint name and comments seem to be reversed when using the geocache points. That is, I previously (on my Meridian) had the waypoint name as %smart=20 so that my geocaches were shown as the name of the cache. In the comment field, I had listed the D/T, and hider.

When using the geocache points for the Explorist, I have to swap the data in the two fields in order to get them to appear as I'd like. That is, in order for the geocache to have %smart=20 as the name displayed, I have to put %smart=20 in the box for comments.

I hope that makes sense... basically it seems that using the geocache points reverses the name and comment fields. Is this on purpose? Has this been mentioned?

Hmm, no one has mentioned this before.

I do know that GPSBabel does have different code for the SD format as opposed to the gs format.

I guess we need to track down if this is a GSAK quirk (probably) or a GPSBabel quirk

Can anyone else using the geocaching mode export ( file type with extension .gs) confirm that these items appear reversed for them also?

Clyde, I would be surprised if this has not come up before...

I am wonder how GSAK resolves conflicts between notes in incoming data and notes that already exist in the database. The situation is as follows (and involves two computers that I own and use as part of geocaching):

I have added notes and corrected coordinates to some records (puzzle caches) in a database on Computer A.

I export the records with these notes into a gpx file and take these to Computer B.

On Computer B I load this information into an existing database where some of the same caches already have notes and corrected coordinates.

How will GSAK on Computer B handle the fact that 2 (possibly different) notes have to be consolidated? (i.e. are the two notes combined?)

If a record on computer B already has corrected coordinates before the import, I assume the corrected coordinates in the incoming gpx file override them, even if the ones in the database on computer B were entered more recently?

Hi,

I'm a long time gsak user, and for the first time ever it doesn't seem to be working for me...it cannot receive waypoints from my magellan meridian...I get an error message saying:

Error sending waypoints

MAGPROTO cannot open 'com1' for read.  Error was 'Permission denied'.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

Did you ever solve this problem? I'm getting the same error. It's a new computer, I guess it could be the modem.

Clyde, I would be surprised if this has not come up before...

I am wonder how GSAK resolves conflicts between notes in incoming data and notes that already exist in the database. The situation is as follows (and involves two computers that I own and use as part of geocaching):

I have added notes and corrected coordinates to some records (puzzle caches) in a database on Computer A.

I export the records with these notes into a gpx file and take these to Computer B.

On Computer B I load this information into an existing database where some of the same caches already have notes and corrected coordinates.

How will GSAK on Computer B handle the fact that 2 (possibly different) notes have to be consolidated? (i.e. are the two notes combined?)

If a record on computer B already has corrected coordinates before the import, I assume the corrected coordinates in the incoming gpx file override them, even if the ones in the database on computer B were entered more recently?

It is up to the user how user note conflicts are handled. Just select the option that best suits your situation for what you are doing.

When you load a GPX file that contains user notes into a database that also has user notes, GSAK recognizes this situation and provides you with a list of options.

notes1.png

As for corrected coordinates, it depends what option you selected when you generate the GPX file. If you check the box "include GSAK extra fields in export", then yes the corrected coordinates will be overriden with the incoming GPX file. If you do not check this box, then the corrected coordinates for the database will remain in tact.

Hmm, no one has mentioned this before.

I do know that GPSBabel does have different code for the SD format as opposed to the gs format.

I guess we need to track down if this is a GSAK quirk (probably) or a GPSBabel quirk

Can anyone else using the geocaching mode export ( file type with extension .gs) confirm that these items appear reversed for them also?

Eeeee...what Jamie said. I guess I've not been using much beyond %code, so I didn't notice this before either.

For regular POIs, the Waypoint name field in GSAK is displayed on the map screen as the POI name, while the Cache Description format is placed in the POI comment field. For Geocache POIs, the Waypoint name is assigned to the Cache ID field, and the Cache Description format ends up as the displayed name. Since there is no comment field per se in Geocache POIs, the first 10 characters or so of the Waypoint Name is displayed as the Cache ID on the Geocache Pt screen. I took a look at the way the Magellan Geocache Manager handles these fields, and it becomes apparent that they are presuming that one wants the name displayed on the map screen, not the cache ID.

So...it looks to me like for Geocache POIs, the Cache Description format in GSAK should be relabled Waypoint Name, and the field currently called Waypoint Name in GSAK should be...uh, I'm not too sure about this. Like Jamie, I prefer %code to be displayed on my map screen. I don't want long names cluttering up my display. BUT the only other place for the name of the cache to show up would be the cache ID field in Geocache POIs. Does that look right to you, Jamie?

Dang. I think the fix needed for this is for the Explorist to allow the option of names or cache IDs to display on the GPS. Or maybe we just found another reason not to like Geocache POIs.

Hi,

I'm a long time gsak user, and for the first time ever it doesn't seem to be working for me...it cannot receive waypoints from my magellan meridian...I get an error message saying:

Error sending waypoints

MAGPROTO cannot open 'com1' for read.  Error was 'Permission denied'.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

Did you ever solve this problem? I'm getting the same error. It's a new computer, I guess it could be the modem.

The "permission denied" error usually means that some other program is using this com port.

The most common culprit is "active sync" software for your PDA. Terminate any "active sync" type software you have running and try again.

If that doesn't work try re booting your computer and make sure sending waypoints to your GPS is the very first thing you try after a reboot. It it works, you then need to track down what is "hijacking" your com port.

The "permission denied" error usually means that some other program is using this com port.

The most common culprit is "active sync" software for your PDA. Terminate any "active sync" type software you have running and try again.

If that doesn't work try re booting your computer and make sure sending waypoints to your GPS is the very first thing you try after a reboot. It it works, you then need to track down what is "hijacking" your com port.

Thanks for the help.

I removed the modem. No luck. I don't have any PDA sync software. I can't imaging any of my startup programs would touch the com port, but I guess that must be what's going on. I've rebooted lots of times. I'[ll try rebooting into safe mode, to stop everthing from loading at startup.

My short term fix is to just ues the SD card and not the serial cable.

Just to mention (couldn't find it elsewhere on the forum) that by doing a custom export you can export cache data to kml format to use with the excellent keyhole program.

Just use the syntax below

"C:\Program Files\GSAK\GPSBabel.exe" -i gpx -f "c:\program files\gsak\temp\babel.gpx" -o kml -F c:\temp\25.kml

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Thanks for the help.

I removed the modem. No luck. I don't have any PDA sync software. I can't imaging any of my startup programs would touch the com port, but I guess that must be what's going on. I've rebooted lots of times. I'[ll try rebooting into safe mode, to stop everthing from loading at startup.

My short term fix is to just ues the SD card and not the serial cable.

As an alternative to booting to safe mode, or to narrow down the cuplprit if safe mode fixes the problem, go to "Start", "Run" and type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotes). Click on the "startup" tab (don't mess with the other tabs unless you know what you're doing).

Uncheck all items listed under "start up" and reboot - this temporarily eliminates those items from loading on startup (item names are not very descripitve - you can often tell what an item is by looking at the path in the "Command" column).

If unchecking all the items solves the problem, then go into MSCONFIG and add them back (recheck them) one or two at a time, rebooting and testing after each add back, until the problem recurs. You then know that the last program you added back in is the culprit. Tedious, but often the easiest way to track down a problem.

I've got a custom URL to pull up the Google satellite page from GSAK, but I can't seem to figure out what I need to change to have it pull up the map view instead.

Any suggestions?

Not sure what custom URL you are using (perhaps you can post it) but the following entry in my custom URLs seems to bring up the map view for me

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/?sll=%lat,%lon&q=%lat,%lon

I found this posted in another forum but it does not seem to work. Unfortunately it was closed for some reason. Everything looks fine but I get an error that says the PID needs to be in the two capital letter followed by four number format. But that what the code format is. Any thoughts?

NGS Datasheet=http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=%code

Thanx

For regular POIs, the Waypoint name field in GSAK is displayed on the map screen as the POI name, while the Cache Description format is placed in the POI comment field. For Geocache POIs, the Waypoint name is assigned to the Cache ID field, and the Cache Description format ends up as the displayed name.

Thanks for better describing the situation. Basically, it's not a bug, but it's unexpected behavior.

Actually embra, now that I am an Explorist owner, I like using the 20-character waypoint name to display the name of the cache.

Back in the Meridian day, with only eight characters available, I preferred the %code also.. but that's because most cache names don't convert to eight characters very well.

But that's beside the point. The point is that for all other uses, the "Waypoint Name" field in GSAK is the displayed name, but when using Explorist Geocache points, it is not.

Jamie

I've got a custom URL to pull up the Google satellite page from GSAK, but I can't seem to figure out what I need to change to have it pull up the map view instead.

Any suggestions?

Not sure what custom URL you are using (perhaps you can post it) but the following entry in my custom URLs seems to bring up the map view for me

I figured out from one set of commands how to fix the other and now I have both putting in the flag --

----------------

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat,%lon&spn=0.001,0.001&t=kn&q=%lat,%lon

hope this helps - cut and paste 'em in if you want - I use the dotted lines and blank lines as separators in the listing to help find things -

cc\

Any suggestions?

I figured out from one set of commands how to fix the other and now I have both putting in the flag --

----------------

Google Satellite View=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=&ll=%lat,%lon&spn=0.001,0.001&t=kn&q=%lat,%lon

hope this helps - cut and paste 'em in if you want - I use the dotted lines and blank lines as separators in the listing to help find things -

cc\

I am getting the following to work (these have the zoom factors that I prefer):

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/?q=%lat,%lon&spn=0.015445,0.028824&hl=en

Google SatPhoto=http://maps.google.com/?q=%lat,%lon&spn=0.004954,0.007206&t=k&hl=en

It seems that:

spn is the zoom factor,

t selects betwen maps and photo

hl is the language en=english, fr=french

I would be interested in getting the waypoint code or waypoint name to display in the bubble. Has anyone figured out how to do that?

Hi Clyde,

so far GSAK has been able to cater for all my wishes, but now I am running into a dead end. I would like to create text files to view on my mp3 player, one for every cache, named as:

%typ1%con1%drop2%notGC%code %name.txt

That would be similar to the html export, but just as plain text and without the indexes. Any idea on how this could be achieved?

Cheers

Roolku

so far GSAK has been able to cater for all my wishes, but now I am running into a dead end. I would like to create text files to view on my mp3 player, one for every cache, named as:

%typ1%con1%drop2%notGC%code %name.txt

That would be similar to the html export, but just as plain text and without the indexes. Any idea on how this could be achieved?

The next version of GSAK will make the generation of this (and any other type of CSV or TXT file) very easy, but that is of little comfort to you now. :huh:

There are two ways to get around this now:

1. Write a macro to iterate through the file and output using the PutFile macro

function.

2. File=>Print. Select the Grid columns format, and enter your special tags in the "custom column" set up. Use the method as described in item 13 of the FAQ to generated an Excel file, then delete all the columns but the "custom one", now "save as.." from Excel as a text file.

Both these work arounds should work, but my explanation is a little scant so just yell if you need more help.

Thank you for your quick reply.

The next version of GSAK will make the generation of this (and any other type of CSV or TXT file) very easy, but that is of little comfort to you now.  :huh:

Sounds good.

There are two ways to get around this now:

1. Write a macro to iterate through the file and output using the PutFile macro

function.

Not sure what file you mean. Also I couldn't find a PutFile macro in the gsak directory or on your webpage.

2. File=>Print. Select the Grid columns format, and enter your special tags in the "custom column" set up. Use the method as described in item 13 of the FAQ to generated an Excel file, then delete all the columns but the "custom one", now "save as.." from Excel as a text file.

Unless I am overlooking something this only gives me a single file with all the caches rather than individual files. Also I can't seem to get log entries into a view?

Cheers

Roolku

Ok, I did not understand that you wanted one file for each cache, nor did I see that you wanted the logs as well.

Therefore the only way to do this would be via a macro.

I recall that GPSBabel has a Text output so you could do this this is by iterating through the database and using the EXPORT (GPX) then RUNPGM command on each waypoint.

However, I suspect this method will not will not win any speed awards :huh:

BTW as per my previous reply PutFile is a macro function - not to be confused with a macro command.

Edited by ClydeE

I have been using GSAK now for a few months and I have been looking at the macros. I downloaded the LoadExport.txt macro. I then went through my waypoints and filtered out the caches i wanted to do via the User Flag filter. I then clicked on the macro so it would run. I then get a message saying:-

Current Macro: C:\Program Files\GSAK\macros\LoadExport.txt

Error in macro at line (

LOAD Settings=ClearloadNotFound Database=NotFound

Error=>Database does not exist:Not Found.

I realise i need to create a database but not what to call it, and also where so i place the name for the database.

I would like to do an export that will give me TomTom poi, memory map, GPX/LOC Files and GPS output to my GPS. I am only a user of computers and so not used to writing macros etc. If someone out there wwould be good enough to help me out on this I would be gratful.

Regards Ian

I have been using GSAK now for a few months and I have been looking at the macros. I downloaded the LoadExport.txt macro. I then went through my waypoints and filtered out the caches i wanted to do via the User Flag filter. I then clicked on the macro so it would run. I then get a message saying:-

Current Macro: C:\Program Files\GSAK\macros\LoadExport.txt

Error in macro at line (

LOAD Settings=ClearloadNotFound Database=NotFound

Error=>Database does not exist:Not Found.

I realise i need to create a database but not what to call it, and also where so i place the name for the database.

I would like to do an export that will give me TomTom poi, memory map, GPX/LOC Files and GPS output to my GPS. I am only a user of computers and so not used to writing macros etc. If someone out there wwould be good enough to help me out on this I would be gratful.

Regards Ian

Here's the syntax for the LOAD function:

LOAD [<Settings="name">] [<File="path\file">] [<database="name">]

So you either need to create a database called "NotFound" (without the double quote marks) or change the name NotFound to the name of your database:

LOAD Settings=ClearloadNotFound Database="Put your database here"

OK, I have created a database called Not Found and put it at the end of the line. Now when I run the macro the new message which says:-

Error=>Settings not found ClearLoadNotFound

What do I need for the settings and also what needs putting in the macro after line 9, I need to have something that will put the exported files to the desktop or where ever do I not? Sorry to appear dense.

OK, I have created a database called Not Found and put it at the end of the line. Now when I run the macro the new message which says:-

Error=>Settings not found ClearLoadNotFound

What do I need for the settings and also what needs putting in the macro after line 9, I need to have something that will put the exported files to the desktop or where ever do I not? Sorry to appear dense.

If you want to use the same settings as your last load, you can leave out the Settings=NotFound part.

By putting this in you are telling GSAK to run the LOAD command using the settings by the name of "NotFound"

If you have special settings for this load then:

1. Click on File=>Load GPX/LOC

2. Change all the options on this dialog to how your like them for this load

3. Click on the "Save" button

4. In the box "Enter a name for these settings" enter in "NotFound" (without the quotes)

This and more about macros is in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs21000.htm

Edited by ClydeE

I've got a problem just recently when trying to run filters in GSAK. I've begun receiving the following error. Also, is there a reason it is trying to reference this file via an administrative share instead of the direct file path?

Cannot open file \\HIDDENMACHINENAME\c$\Program Files\GSAK\temp\arclist.txt

posted this elsewhere, figured I should post it here also

I finally downloaded GSAK and Cachemate and started trying to learn how to use them

I exported a bunch of waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK and some of them had the geocaching treasure chest icon. The treasure chest icon is too big for my liking, so I just use the small waypoint icon. Is there a place in GSAK I can set the icon to a default or small icon for all waypoints? I figured there was a place to change this in GSAK, but I have not found it yet

posted this elsewhere, figured I should post it here also

I finally downloaded GSAK and Cachemate and started trying to learn how to use them

I exported a bunch of waypoints to my GPSr from GSAK and some of them had the geocaching treasure chest icon. The treasure chest icon is too big for my liking, so I just use the small waypoint icon. Is there a place in GSAK I can set the icon to a default or small icon for all waypoints? I figured there was a place to change this in GSAK, but I have not found it yet

When you send the waypoints to the GPS, there is a window on the left that says GPS Symbols (Not all symbols are supported on all GPSs) and a button below the window that says Change. Click on this button. This will give you a dialog box titled Change Waypoint Icons/Symbols. In the first drop-down box titled Status, select which type of waypoint (i.e. Not Found) and in the second drop-down box titled Icon, select Waypoint. After you are done, click on the Save button and then send the waypoints to your GPS.

that is number 3 on the FAQ

3. I want the GCXXXX code sent to my GPS but currently I just get the abbreviated cache name. How do I fix this?

Use %code for your waypoint name instead of %smart. For more information of using the special %tags see the help topic Special Tags.