Gsak (geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

ClydeE

Here's a question,

When I use the export HTML it creates the master index page. Each link on the master index links to the individually generated local HTML pages. Is there an easy way to change this so it will link to the GC.com page rather than the local cache page?

Ultimately I would like to be able to post the master index page on my website so that I can link directly from there to the GC.com cache page.

Not exactly.

The main thrust of the HTML generation was so users can view the data offline (On a PDA, or windows computer when not connected to the internet)

However, if you tick the box "Include current details link at top of page" GSAK will generate a link at the very top of each HTML page that will take you to the online version.

Problem is you are not allowed to post the cache information on a website as it violates your user agreement. Can I use the custom Babel export to generate such an HTML file or would the result be the same?

Ok, here is a work around that might help

First copy the file cache.htm from the install folder of GSAK to another name or folder

Now create a file called cache.htm using any text editor that has the following entries:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<body text="000000">
<table align=center bgcolor="white" border=0 width=95% summary="GSAK"><tr><td>
<#topline>

Now save this file (overriding the existing one) to cache.htm in the install folder of GSAK

Now run the HTML Generation

Depending on your options selected for the HTML generation, you should only get the "Online URL" link. This would not be in violation of the TOU and you could post to a web site.

Finally You must remember to copy back the saved version of cache.htm to the install folder of GSAK otherwise all your offline HTML pages will look like this.

If this is something you do often then I suggest writing a macro to do the whole thing - that way you can't forget to copy back the saved file.

The question, as I understand it, is "if given data from a pocket query (and thus that isn't free to redistribute) does GPSBabel's HTML output 'scrub' it enough that the terms of service I agreed to no longer apply to me?" Right?

If that's the question, the answer is no.

However, if your web server isn't externally visible and you can ensure that only the charter member that ordered up the PQ can see that data and you're asking if GPSBabel could make web pages are usable, the answer is yes.

Feel free to ask technical questions. For authoritative answers legal questions, you'll have to ask the house, and past experience has shown you won't get answers.

Has anyone noticed a slow down in the speed of the new version of GSAK (5.6.0) when exporting files to MSST? I have a large benchmark database (13k) records and it takes over two hours to export it. In the older version it would only take about 3 or 4 minutes.

Clyde: I did try sorting on the DNF date column as you suggested and that solved the problem. I guess the presence of the index on that column made the difference.

Thanks for your help.

Clyde,

Love the program!

I noticed that the behavior of the popmail download changed in the latest update. I have a macro that downloads pocketqueries via pop mail, then does a lot of exports to a SD card. With earlier versions of GSAK the macro would run without stopping, but now after the popmail download the macro stops and places up a window like "query import completed" and just waits for me to click "OK" and then it continues.

When doing a large export for Cachemate (5000 records) after 5 minutes GSAK puts up a window saying that it has not heard from the cachemate export program in 5 minutes (understandable, its still busy writing to the SD card). Not really a bug, but it always startles me when it pops up and confused me the first time I saw it for a minute.

Can't wait to start playing with the new macro commands! Thanks

Clyde,

I have been playing with exporting waypoints to my gpsr with different icons. This works great BTW and I already use it to mark the different between different types of caches and benchmarks. I was wondering if there was anyway to add a new icon to the select box (on the gpsr send waypoints screen) or some how select one of the custom waypoint symbols from the gpsr. I was creating custom icons for different size caches and differnt types and wondered if there would be any way to select these new icons? Oh, and GSAK rocks! :D Thanks!

Damel, we deduce you are using one of the Garmins that supports custom icons. In GSAK these are called "Custom 0" through "Custom 23". It doesn't know if Custom 0 is a picture of a ghost or a Cracker Barrel, so you'll have to build your own mappings between what you put in the "Custom 0" slot and what GSAK calls it.

I noticed that the behavior of the popmail download changed in the latest update. I have a macro that downloads pocketqueries via pop mail, then does a lot of exports to a SD card. With earlier versions of GSAK the macro would run without stopping, but now after the popmail download the macro stops and places up a window like "query import completed" and just waits for me to click "OK" and then it continues.

Yep, this is a minor bug introduced in 5.6 - It will be rectified in the next release.

There is a work around now if it is annoying you.

You are currently running the GETMAIL command with settings such that you have ticked the box "Load folder of attachments ...." . This tells GSAK to load the downloaded files when finished - but it is here were the subtle bug is. That message should only be displayed when using GETMAIL from the GSAK GUI and not from a macro command.

The fix is to uncheck that box and then add a LOAD command to your macro to do the actual loading of the files. The LOAD command does not have the same subtle bug.

I have been playing with exporting waypoints to my gpsr with different icons. This works great BTW and I already use it to mark the different between different types of caches and benchmarks. I was wondering if there was anyway to add a new icon to the select box (on the gpsr send waypoints screen) or some how select one of the custom waypoint symbols from the gpsr. I was creating custom icons for different size caches and differnt types and wondered if there would be any way to select these new icons?

Yes. Please see "custom icons" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm

i am sure that it is here but I cant find it.

QUESTION: How can I force GSAK to open Firefox instead of IE to view on or offline pages.

All my other programs now open firefox for web links FF and it is set as my default program but IE still opens from GSAK.

I am sure that the answer is easy but i cant get it to go.

Thanks,

Glenn

i am sure that it is here but I cant find it.

QUESTION: How can I force GSAK to open Firefox instead of IE to view on or offline pages.

All my other programs now open firefox for web links FF and it is set as my default program but IE still opens from GSAK.

I am sure that the answer is easy but i cant get it to go.

Thanks,

Glenn

If you are referring to HTML that GSAK generates via right click, "Show offline" or File=>Export=>HTML this should always open in your default browser.

However, the split screen view uses a control that calls the Internet Explorer API to render the HTML and this can't be changed.

Thanks Clyde.

This means that viewing the cache online will bring it up in IE.

I just figured out that i can view the cache off line first (it will open in firefox) then I can click the "view online" link from there and it then opens in the already open firefox. one extra click but it works.

Feature request since you are here. Drop down menu to add a different user, or box in the filters to sort by a different user. For example I use GSAK all the time for geostuff but when we go caching I want to sort on what my wife hasn't found yet? I can go into the settings and manually change the user from me to her ID but it is not fast and then I have to switch it right back.

Many thanks,

glenn

GSAK version 5.6 is a minor update, mainly to add full Magellan eXplorist support (Thanks to the latest version of GPSBabel).

However, there are also some fixes and a few new features which would still make this a recommended upgrade for all GSAK users. For a full list of changes please see http://gsak.net/help/hs1060.htm

Download here http://gsak.net

I have GSAK and cachemate that is registered. I am having problems exporting the PDB Files to cachemate. When attempting to export PDB Files, there is no PDB file in the file box, or nothing in the select from most recent box. HELP! This was working fine, but just started not working. I have got 2 new pocket quarries and put in GSAK and it still wont come up to export. The install to Palm after convertion box is check. I have read several of the threads here and still cannot figure it out. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Clyde.

I use Firefox. When I want to view a cache online, it opens up in Firefox just fine.

I don't have to view off line and then online. This is probably a redundant question, but is Firefox set as your default browser?

I have GSAK and cachemate that is registered. I am having problems exporting the PDB Files to cachemate. When attempting to export PDB Files, there is no PDB file in the file box, or nothing in the select from most recent box. HELP! This was working fine, but just started not working. I have got 2 new pocket quarries and put in GSAK and it still wont come up to export. The install to Palm after convertion box is check. I have read several of the threads here and still cannot figure it out. Any information would be appreciated.

Maybe I'm missing something, but have you tried clicking on the little folder icon to the right of the "PDB File to Create" entry box? This should allow you to navigate to the folder you wish to use, and, if there is a previous PDB file that you want to overwrite, select it.

If there is no existing PDB file, just type in the name of one you want to create. You can call it whatever you want and put it wherever you want - GSAK doesn't care. And if you have the "Install to Palm..." box checked, it will be added to your Palm installer automatically regardless of what you call it or where you put it! :D

Thanks Clyde.

I'll second this:

I use Firefox. When I want to view a cache online, it opens up in Firefox just fine.

I don't have to view off line and then online. This is probably a redundant question, but is Firefox set as your default browser?

in FF TOOLS->OPTIONS->GENERAL The box says check now! Then set your perfs.

Thanks Clyde.

yep FF is set as my default and it opens correctly from email links and such. I will have to keep playing with it to see if I can get it to work right. I might just have to remove IE altogether maybe.

Thanks all for letting me know that it is possible.

To use Google Maps in GSAK:

1. Open GSAK

2. Tools menu - click Options... (or press Ctrl-A)

3. Click the HTML tab

4. In the Custom URL box, copy and paste the following information onto a new line:

Google Maps=http://maps.google.com/?sll=%lat,%lon&q=%lat,%lon

When you right click on a cache in your database, you can now select Google Maps as a custom URL. Or you can set this URL as your default double-click option. Thank you AvantBard for figuring out such a handy tool - It works beautifully!

Hi,

I'm a long time gsak user, and for the first time ever it doesn't seem to be working for me...it cannot receive waypoints from my magellan meridian...I get an error message saying:

Error sending waypoints

MAGPROTO cannot open 'com1' for read.  Error was 'Permission denied'.

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

1.  Open GSAK

2.  Tools menu - click Options... (or press Ctrl-A)

3.  Click the HTML tab

4.  In the Custom URL box, copy and paste the following information onto a new line:

When you right click on a cache in your database, you can now select Google Maps as a custom URL.  Or you can set this URL as your default double-click option.  Thank you AvantBard for figuring out such a handy tool - It works beautifully!

Great, thanks

OK, after fiddling around with a custom symbol set, I'm calling now for help...

I was able to set up a custom symbol and name set for my Legend. Everything perfect.

But when I try to save this special set and I create another (Window: "Send waypoints to GPS", "Settings" -> Save), everytime I try to recall a saved set, all icons are set back ot default ("Airport").

Only the custom Waypoint Name was kept whithin the different sets.

I tried this with the sub-settings "Cache-Type only", "Status only" and "Combine both":

Everytime the same, all icons are set back "Airport". :)

A bug, or am I too dumb to understand this function? :)

Regards,

Holger

Damel, we deduce you are using one of the Garmins that supports custom icons.  In GSAK these are called "Custom 0" through "Custom 23".  It doesn't know if Custom 0 is a picture of a ghost or a Cracker Barrel, so you'll have to build your own mappings between what you put in the "Custom 0" slot and what GSAK calls it.

You deduce correctly, I am using a garmin unit. Thanks for the info Robert.

Yes. Please see "custom icons" in the help file or online here http://gsak.net/help/hs32540.htm

Thanks for the link Clyde. I knew you would have an easy way to do it.

Hi,

I'm a long time gsak user, and for the first time ever it doesn't seem to be working for me...it cannot receive waypoints from my magellan meridian...I get an error message saying:

Error sending waypoints

Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

It sounds like another program is using the Com1. Do you have any other program running that sends/receives data from a serial port? PDA hotsync, modems, and the like.

1. Open GSAK

2. Tools menu - click Options... (or press Ctrl-A)

3. Click the HTML tab

4. In the Custom URL box, copy and paste the following information onto a new line:

When you right click on a cache in your database, you can now select Google Maps as a custom URL. Or you can set this URL as your default double-click option. Thank you AvantBard for figuring out such a handy tool - It works beautifully!

This is exactly what I was hoping for, thanks

OK, after fiddling around with a custom symbol set, I'm calling now for help...

I was able to set up a custom symbol and name set for my Legend. Everything perfect.

But when I try to save this special set and I create another (Window: "Send waypoints to GPS", "Settings" -> Save), everytime I try to recall a saved set, all icons are set back ot default ("Airport").

Only the custom Waypoint Name was kept whithin the different sets.

I tried this with the sub-settings "Cache-Type only", "Status only" and "Combine both":

Everytime the same, all icons are set back "Airport". :)

A bug, or am I too dumb to understand this function? :)

Regards,

Holger

What you are doing sounds Ok, so without looking over your shoulder I can't understand why you are getting the the default Airport icons.

Please email me directly with screenshots of what you are doing and we should be able to track down the problem.

for the first time ever it doesn't seem to be working for me...it cannot receive waypoints from my magellan meridian...I get an error message saying:
Error sending waypoints

It sounds like another program is using the Com1. Do you have any other program running that sends/receives data from a serial port? PDA hotsync, modems, and the like.

Yep, every time I have seen this error message is because something else has "hijacked" the com port.

If you can't immediately find the culprit, reboot you computer then try GSAK before loading any other program.

I was creating some macros today and found something interesting that I thought others might also. I was basically creating macros to export specific numbers of caches to my gps and palm (via cachemate). Here is the problem I ran into. When using the EXPORT function like follows: EXPORT Type=GPS Settings="Avaliable – Not Found" From=0 To=100 …the program would slow down and say it was going to take 45 minutes to finish. This only happened when I was exporting benchmarks which tend to have large descriptions due to my importing them fully with bmgpx. Now normally when I send 100 records this would take less then 10 seconds. So I thought of how I was doing it manually. In order to send only 100 records manually I was setting the user flag on 100 records and then filtering for just user flagged records. So I rewrote my macro following the same steps as I would do manually (getting rid of the From and To options in the EXPORT function). Everything then worked fine.

So basically (correct me if I’m wrong Clyde) it looks like GSAK will create the output file for the whole set and then send just the number of records you select (using the From and To options of EXPORT) to the unit/program. This is why GSAK was talking so long, because it was phrasing over 10,000 benchmark records before sending only 100 of them. So if you have a lot of records with large descriptions try this (example for 100 records)….

USERFLAG type=set range=100

# create and use a filter called Set or similar that selects only the user flagged records

FILTER Name="Set"

# EXPORT without [<From=nnn>] [<To=nnn>]

EXPORT <Type=ExportType> [<Settings="name">] [<File="path\file">]

instead of specifying them in the export…

EXPORT <Type=ExportType> [<Settings="name">] [<File="path\file">] [<From=nnn>] [<To=nnn>]

Thanks Clyde for macros! Saved me hours of time clicking on filters and exports. Now I just click once and everything is exported just like I want!

:)

Edited by damel
I was creating some macros today and found something interesting that I thought others might also. I was basically creating macros to export specific numbers of caches to my gps and palm (via cachemate). Here is the problem I ran into. When using the EXPORT function like follows: EXPORT Type=GPS Settings="Avaliable – Not Found" From=0 To=100 …the program would slow down and say it was going to take 45 minutes to finish. This only happened when I was exporting benchmarks which tend to have large descriptions due to my importing them fully with bmgpx. Now normally when I send 100 records this would take less then 10 seconds. So I thought of how I was doing it manually. In order to send only 100 records manually I was setting the user flag on 100 records and then filtering for just user flagged records. So I rewrote my macro following the same steps as I would do manually (getting rid of the From and To options in the EXPORT function). Everything then worked fine.

So basically (correct me if I’m wrong Clyde) it looks like GSAK will create the output file for the whole set and then send just the number of records you select (using the From and To options of EXPORT) to the unit/program. This is why GSAK was talking so long, because it was phrasing over 10,000 benchmark records before sending only 100 of them. So if you have a lot of records with large descriptions try this (example for 100 records)….

USERFLAG type=set range=100

# create and use a filter called Set or similar that selects only the user flagged records

FILTER Name="Set"

# EXPORT without [<From=nnn>] [<To=nnn>]

EXPORT <Type=ExportType> [<Settings="name">] [<File="path\file">]

instead of specifying them in the export…

EXPORT <Type=ExportType> [<Settings="name">] [<File="path\file">] [<From=nnn>] [<To=nnn>]

Thanks Clyde for macros! Saved me hours of time clicking on filters and exports. Now I just click once and everything is exported just like I want!

:)

Actually I would come close to calling this a bug.

The problem child here is the Cachemate export (All other exports should be fine)

I will optimize this one in the next release so it only looks at waypoints 1 to 100 before passing on to do the CacheMate conversion

Thanks alos for pointing out a good work around

Have you ever thought of adding a search box that would search the "placed by" column?

Similiar to the way the name search works now.

No - probably, because no one has asked. :anitongue:

If I get enough requests I will add this one to "the list"

Clyde,

Been playing with GSAK for a couple of days now, and am loving it. Will definately be registering once I get paid. I'm hoping you can answer a question anyway....

I'm using it mostly for benchmarks, and am downloading from NOAA.NGS the yearly benchmark archives for my nearby counties. The trouble I run into is that some of the entries are ending up with "placed" dates of the current date, instead of when they were actually placed. This sort of defeats the purpose of being able to search by age as well as location.

More specifically, what I *think* is going on, is that the marks that get "today's date", are the ones where the "monument" date is listed as "UNK". I *think* this trips the program into assigning today's date. Is there any way to make it ignore the "UNK" value and skip to the next date? (Other than editing manually one at a time?)

Please bear in mind that I am not a software engineer, nor am I calling this a bug.

I know that this is a flaw in the data. I'm merely hoping that there is some sort of workaround.

TIA

Thad

AKA Old Bill (Bill is the Jeep)

Edited by Old Bill

Clyde,

I have another macro question for you. When I run an external program how do I add parameters that need to be in double quotes (").

Normally I would run the program like this...

ProgramName.exe -f "PathToFile\FileToDoStuffOn.pdb"

using: RUNPGM <pgm="ProgramName.exe" [<parms=Parameters>] [<Wait=No|Yes>]

i tried:

parms="-f PathToFile\FileToDoStuffOn.pdb"

parms="-f 'PathToFile\FileToDoStuffOn.pdb'"

parms="-f /"PathToFile\FileToDoStuffOn.pdb/""

Now I'm at a loss..hehe Any ideas?

Does anyone use CacheMateLog.txt. I was creating a similar macro when I found this one and started playing w/it. It suffers from the same problem, I think I ran into. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid does not seem to send you to the correct address. Maybe there was a change in the webdesign so that the number %gcid is no longer valid. Has anyone else seen this? Anyone have a fix if indeed its not just me?

Does anyone use CacheMateLog.txt. I was creating a similar macro when I found this one and started playing w/it. It suffers from the same problem, I think I ran into. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid does not seem to send you to the correct address. Maybe there was a change in the webdesign so that the number %gcid is no longer valid. Has anyone else seen this? Anyone have a fix if indeed its not just me?

What problems are you running into with that URL. I Just tried it a few moments ago from the custom URL list in it took me to the "Post a log" page for that cache as expected.

Been playing with GSAK for a couple of days now, and am loving it. Will definately be registering once I get paid. I'm hoping you can answer a question anyway....

I'm using it mostly for benchmarks, and am downloading from NOAA.NGS the yearly benchmark archives for my nearby counties. The trouble I run into is that some of the entries are ending up with "placed" dates of the current date, instead of when they were actually placed. This sort of defeats the purpose of being able to search by age as well as location.

More specifically, what I *think* is going on, is that the marks that get "today's date", are the ones where the "monument" date is listed as "UNK". I *think* this trips the program into assigning today's date. Is there any way to make it ignore the "UNK" value and skip to the next date? (Other than editing manually one at a time?)

Please bear in mind that I am not a software engineer, nor am I calling this a bug.

I know that this is a flaw in the data. I'm merely hoping that there is some sort of workaround.

GSAK populates the Placed date with what ever is in the <time> element of the GPX file.

If you interrogate the GPX file what date do you see for these Benchmarks?

I think you will find this issue really lies in the origin of the generated GPX file, so GSAK can't do too much about this.

Been playing with GSAK for a couple of days now, and am loving it.  Will definately be registering once I get paid.  I'm hoping you can answer a question anyway....

I'm using it mostly for benchmarks, and am downloading from NOAA.NGS the yearly benchmark archives for my nearby counties.  The trouble I run into is that some of the entries are ending up with "placed" dates of the current date, instead of when they were actually placed.  This sort of defeats the purpose of being able to search by age as well as location.

More specifically, what I *think* is going on, is that the marks that get "today's date", are the ones where the "monument" date is listed as "UNK".  I *think* this trips the program into assigning today's date.  Is there any way to make it ignore the "UNK" value and skip to the next date? (Other than editing manually one at a time?)

I know that this is a flaw in the data.  I'm merely hoping that there is some sort of workaround.

GSAK populates the Placed date with what ever is in the <time> element of the GPX file.

I think you will find this issue really lies in the origin of the generated GPX file, so GSAK can't do too much about this.

What if an option were added to the Global Replace dialog to replace the existing data with "nothing". This would allow users to replace data that get's populated incorrectly (through NO fault of GSAK) to correct it. In this case (and most cases?) no data would be preferential to incorrect data.

Been playing with GSAK for a couple of days now, and am loving it.  Will definately be registering once I get paid.  I'm hoping you can answer a question anyway....

I'm using it mostly for benchmarks, and am downloading from NOAA.NGS the yearly benchmark archives for my nearby counties.  The trouble I run into is that some of the entries are ending up with "placed" dates of the current date, instead of when they were actually placed.  This sort of defeats the purpose of being able to search by age as well as location.

More specifically, what I *think* is going on, is that the marks that get "today's date", are the ones where the "monument" date is listed as "UNK".  I *think* this trips the program into assigning today's date.  Is there any way to make it ignore the "UNK" value and skip to the next date? (Other than editing manually one at a time?)

I know that this is a flaw in the data.  I'm merely hoping that there is some sort of workaround.

What if an option were added to the Global Replace dialog to replace the existing data with "nothing". This would allow users to replace data that get's populated incorrectly (through NO fault of GSAK) to correct it. In this case (and most cases?) no data would be preferential to incorrect data.

You can.

When you do the golobal replace just delete the date (it will still show in the box as something like " / / " depending on your computer date settings, but the database will infact be updated with "blank") and you will no longer see dates in that column.

Edited by ClydeE
You can.

When you do the golobal replace just delete the date (it will still show in the box as something like " / / " depending on your computer date settings, but the database will infact be updated with "blank") and you will no longer see dates in that column.

Well what do you know! Thanks Clyde!!

I have a long list of GPS data that I would like to import into GSAK from a .txt file. This file only contains latitude, longitude, and a name (6 characters long). Here is how a bit of it looks :

35.26285,-106.45042,AGSNCR

35.29148,-106.44107,AGSTH

35.28485,-106.44383,AGSWP1

35.28210,-106.44462,AGSWP2

These are all 35 degrees North and 106 degrees West. I would like to retain the name given in the 3rd field in each line and create a waypoint for each of these. Is there a simple way to read in all this data into GSAK without using another software program ?

I have a long list of GPS data that I would like to import into GSAK from a .txt file. This file only contains latitude, longitude, and a name (6 characters long). Here is how a bit of it looks :

35.26285,-106.45042,AGSNCR

35.29148,-106.44107,AGSTH

35.28485,-106.44383,AGSWP1

35.28210,-106.44462,AGSWP2

These are all 35 degrees North and 106 degrees West. I would like to retain the name given in the 3rd field in each line and create a waypoint for each of these. Is there a simple way to read in all this data into GSAK without using another software program ?

Currently, GSAK can only load GPX or LOC files in the database.

However, it would be a snap for GPSBabel to convert this to an acceptable LOC file (using a style file)

If you are unsure how to do this, just email me the file and I will convert to LOC and send back to you. :anitongue:

I am in the process of downloading all the caches that have ever existed in Arizona, including Archived. Most of the Archived cache .gpx files do not include any 'found' logs. I would like to edit these caches to include the true date of the last find, but I don't see any way to do that. Is there a simple workaround?

I am in the process of downloading all the caches that have ever existed in Arizona, including Archived. Most of the Archived cache .gpx files do not include any 'found' logs. I would like to edit these caches to include the true date of the last find, but I don't see any way to do that. Is there a simple workaround?

Unfortunately not, as the last found date is not a date you can update, but is calculated by GSAK interrogating the logs

The only way to get around this would be to dummy up a GPX file that had found logs for the required caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?ID=%gcid

What problems are you running into with that URL. I Just tried it a few moments ago from the custom URL list in it took me to the "Post a log" page for that cache as expected.

I see this:

View a Cache Log

You need to reference a listing in order to view or log it.

Visit another listing:<box to enter GCXXXX>

Thats it. It does not open up the page like one would expect. Instead it opens this error page.

I just relized that I had not logged into gc.com first. This is why it happened.

Thanks Clyde,

You are right, when I open the .dat file with my text editor, it shows pretty much as it would from the NGS website. But, the BMGPX converted files automatically place the current date anywhere it runs across a "UNK" date.

Becuase I'm not too savvy on software, macros, and such, my only options are to either go through the raw data and replace each "UNK" with a more appropriate date, or to simply manually adjust the date with GSAK's waypoint editor. I'm thinking the latter is a better choice, because I can simply adjust the ones that I'll be near, and not worry about the others. Might also make for a good time killer if I'm ever up for that....

Anyways, thanks so very much for taking the time to reply. I'm really enjoying the product, and I will be registering as soon as funds are available to do so.

Great job Clyde!

Thad

Unfortunately not, as the last found date is not a date you can update, but is calculated by GSAK interrogating the logs

The only way to get around this would be to dummy up a GPX file that had found logs for the required caches.

Thanks for the (as usual) quick response!

Guess I'll just have to deal with it. melodramatic7mf.gif

Clyde,

This two part request is probably way beyond the intent of GSAK, but if I don’t ask, I’ll never know for sure if it can be done or not.

First part:

I have a large collection of waypoints that I call “Work Waypoints”. These locations are places my business frequently take me to over a very large geographical area. I exported the 70 waypoints from MapSource to a gpx file. I then created a GSAK database named Work Waypoints (as you can see, I’m very imaginative with nomenclature) and imported them.

I would like to send all 70 to GSAK’s “locations”. This would allow me to do quick sorting/filtering of caches nearest my business locations. The intent here is also to have the center points and distances available in the PDA when I export to HTML.

Is there a way to send all of the waypoints en masse? Doing them one by one is tedious. But then I may be the only person thinking they need to, or there may be a better way doing this altogether.

Second part:

Even though these waypoints are not caches, it seems GSAK has a lot of potential for managing waypoints (like those described above). Any chance in the future GSAK could manage waypoints with all the waypoint features, such as icons available on mapping and GPSrs? Maybe add fields for address, parking instructions, phone numbers, etc? I can see a lot of application, particularly for exporting to a PDA.

However, just like the first part, it’s unlikely I’m the first person to ever think of this and there’s probably a product out there covering this ground…

Thanks for the time.

Pen

You are right, when I open the .dat file with my text editor, it shows pretty much as it would from the NGS website. But, the BMGPX converted files automatically place the current date anywhere it runs across a "UNK" date.

Becuase I'm not too savvy on software, macros, and such, my only options are to either go through the raw data and replace each "UNK" with a more appropriate date, or to simply manually adjust the date with GSAK's waypoint editor. I'm thinking the latter is a better choice, because I can simply adjust the ones that I'll be near, and not worry about the others. Might also make for a good time killer if I'm ever up for that....

You may already know this, Thad, so forgive me if I'm suggesting the obvious. The NGS .dat files are just text files, so if you do a global search and replace in any text editor (such as Notepad) you could probably replace all those "UNK" with something of your choice (although a global replace might replace some things you want left alone...exercise care).

Re your question about opening a waypoint in NG Topo: I may be wrong on this, but I don't think there is a way to pass the coords into NH Topo like that. AFAIK you have to open the program and import the waypoint(s).

First part:

I have a large collection of waypoints that I call “Work Waypoints”. These locations are places my business frequently take me to over a very large geographical area. I exported the 70 waypoints from MapSource to a gpx file. I then created a GSAK database named Work Waypoints (as you can see, I’m very imaginative with nomenclature) and imported them.

I would like to send all 70 to GSAK’s “locations”. This would allow me to do quick sorting/filtering of caches nearest my business locations. The intent here is also to have the center points and distances available in the PDA when I export to HTML.

Is there a way to send all of the waypoints en masse? Doing them one by one is tedious. But then I may be the only person thinking they need to, or there may be a better way doing this altogether.

Second part:

Even though these waypoints are not caches, it seems GSAK has a lot of potential for managing waypoints (like those described above). Any chance in the future GSAK could manage waypoints with all the waypoint features, such as icons available on mapping and GPSrs? Maybe add fields for address, parking instructions, phone numbers, etc? I can see a lot of application, particularly for exporting to a PDA.

First part:

This is another one that would be a snap for GPSBabel to do. Just run GPSBabel with a CSV style file that outputs in the same format as you see in Tools=>Options=>Locations. Then all you need to do is open the generated file in your favorite text editor, copy the contents, then paste into the GSAK locations

If you are not familiar with GPSBabel to be able to do this, just email me the GPX file and I will do the conversion and email back the text file.

Note: The next version of GSAK has updates to the macro language that makes this type of thing *very* easy. Even if you were not up to writing the macro, I (or others) could then just email you a macro that would do the job.

Second part:

Better support for non geocaching waypoints is on "the list". Perhaps not as involved as you have suggested, but certainly better than now. However, please note that you can now update the short description, long description, and hints. Both the short and long description support HTML. So at the very least you could put this extra information information into GSAK for viewing and searching.