Mammoth Cave Park, Kentucky

jhwjohn

I am headin to Mammtoh Cave KY this summer. Does anyone know of any waypoints of some good caches that are there. Also does anyone know of any specific caches that are in or closet to some of the campgrounds there? Were goin to be campin there.

Any help would be great .. Thanks!

Ghosts & Goblins is a virtual in Mammoth Cave NP and it has a great story behind it. You really should hear the whole story, not just go to the cache site and grab the answers. The waypoint is GC843A.

Looking at nearest to that waypoint list, there seem to be quite a few more actually in the park than there were last year. One of the cave guides I worked with is a cacher, but I don't think he set any of these up. I was there last summer and did a some in Bowling Green and in the surrounding areas. BTW, there are at least 2 benchmarks actually in the cave system - a little known factoid. It a great area, hope you enjoy your visit.

Edited by Geologygirl

I've been to Mammoth Cave twice. First was pre-geocaching, and the second time was last summer, when I didn't have any access to the website so I was unable to look for caches. So I can't help you there.

The park is great place. I took the Grand Avenue tour the first time I went, and enjoyed it immensely. Incidently, my cave tour group consisted of only about a dozen people, which is about 1/10 normal, so it was rather cozy. The second time, I was hoping to take the Wild Cave tour, which lasts somewhere around six hours.

When I arrived, I was severely turned off by the large crowds and unreasonable price for the tour, ~$50 if I remember (A quick check confirms $46) plus overpriced meals during the tour. Backpacks are no longer allowed in the cave system.

So, I was looking at spending about $70, which I guess isn't bad for an six-hour activity, but I wasn't willing to pay it. Besides, the screaming kids up and down the visitor's center and the crowds of people and families made me decide this wasn't my kind of place.

Oh, I got a little too negative. The park is truly amazing, and I've only seen one tour. I've read about some of the outlying areas--campgrounds and rivers, and I'd bet that the masses (families) don't go there, so it's probably far more peaceful away from the parking lot.

Be sure to check out Abe Lincoln's birthplace nearby. It's free.

Jamie

We are headed to Mammoth Cave area in a few weeks. We went last year the day after Labor day and most of the area attractions closed for the season on Labor Day. I wanted to go to Guntown Mountain. This was also my pre-caching days. We didnt tour Mammoth cave but went to Kentucky Down under. We will go back to this place. It was pretty fun and they had a cave there also, kentucky caverns. Dinosaur world was pretty fun too. Im a sucker for tourist traps :)

Cave Tours It's only $46 for the day long wild cave tours - which I have heard is fantastic, but this is a real spelunking experience - you visit 4 of the 5 levels of the cave in the process. Most of the other tours are not technically challenging (basically a hike underground) and visit just a fraction of the 360+ miles of cave in the system and range between $4 and $21 depending on the length and the equipment needed - the lantern tours are nostalgic - but a lot of the public parts of the cave are wired. The Grand Avenue is the longest tour, but my favorite was the Frozen Niagra tour. I know I sound like I'm really selling the tours but my experience there is different than the general publics - worked there for 10 days on an EarthWatch Project. While there, they took us on several of the tours during the days, since we worked in the cave after hours.

Advice during the tour, dress for the fact that it is a constant 56 degrees F underground!

Also, taking the ferry across the Green River is a rare experience too -not many of this type of ferry in operation . This is free of charge.

Mammoth Creation Earthcache GCNEJP

The first part of this cache is an easy walk from the camping area, you can hike to the second part or drive down to a parking area that is close by. There also is a virtural at the train that is right next to the camp ground. A real neat cache to do is BIG MOE which is just outside of the park. Enjoy

Turtle 3863 might be able to answer better, being local - I remember there being a lot of stairs, the terraine would maybe rate 3 stars because elevation change and the path is rough in places. The highlights of this tour are all the formations you get to see. The tour description has the details.

is the longest tour, but my favorite was the Frozen Niagra tour.

How many stars would the frozen niagra be in geospeak? I have a 5 year old and her feet tend to "go to sleep" on the longer hikes. I would like to see that one but Im unsure about taking her

That tour would be fine for young children. There are a few steps at the begaining, but the tour is pretty flat. At Frozen Niagra you have the option of looking streight out at it or taking stairs down under the falls. I would give it a 2 to 2.5 stars.