12xl Question

sewiv

I just started geocaching, and I'm using my 12XL that I've had for years and years.

I'm not planning on buying anything new, this is just for fun after all, but I did have

one question, that I'm sure someone here already knows the answer to:

Is there any way to get the 12XL to show the distance to a waypoint in feet, not in

hundredths of miles?

That's it. Thanks for any help.

I have an old 12 (not XL) and faced the same challenge. When I got to within .01 miles, I would switch to the satellite screen and watch the coordinates until they matched the cache listing. Not very high tech, but it worked.

The manual for the 12XL is here. On page 45 (page 49 of the pdf file) it says you can change units from Statute to Nautical or Metric. Maybe metric will get it to show meters to the waypoint.

Edited by Sputnik 57
Is there any way to get the 12XL to show the distance to a waypoint in feet, not in hundredths of miles?

I used to have a plain 12 and IIRC I used to set it to metric units and the distance would display down to 10 metre increments (.01 of a KM). You could also try using UTM then match the displayed location to the cache coordinates ( hmm I have to go 10 metres north and 5 metres east)