Do I need software?

Stellartrinity

I just bought a Magellan 315. I'll probably get a pc cable and cigarette lighter adaptor, but do I need any of the mapping software, such as DataSend, and what do I need to download, if anything, to get started?

BTW-

-will only use for geocaching

-easy caches mostly

-Mag 315 is new, so nothing previously added

[This message was edited by Stellartrinity on May 21, 2002 at 04:14 PM.]

I used a GPS-315 until I got my MeriGold. My Wife still uses it and is very happy with it. We have a serial cable that we use to download waypoints with EasyGPS or ExpertGPS. There are also several completely free programs that allow you to upload/download waypoints, routes, and tracks. One good example is Magellan Waypoint Editor by Mark Crossley.

DataSend will not give you much beyond that and in my oppinion is not worth the price with so much other good stuff available.

Get the data cable. In fact, I use the combo data/power cable with a AC auto adaptor plugged into the wall. I makes programming much easier. Then download any software you feel you need.

The 315 is a great unit with many third party options available. DataSend, with the exception of being able to reload your city information, does not offer anything that you can't get for free.

geosign.gif

quote:
do I need any of the mapping software

The Mag 315 does not have any map database nor can you load maps into the unit. With the recent firmware update that lowered the auto average threshold, it is now a great unit for the price.

Check the Magellan website below for a $20 rebate coupon on Mag 315 purchases.

http://www.magellangps.com/frames/frame2.htm?../products/outdoor.htm

19973_600.gif The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

[This message was edited by Navdog on May 21, 2002 at 06:00 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Stellartrinity:

how do you find one with a Ac/Dc? I've looked but only see one from garmin. Or, is it the cable with bare wire, and you have to hook it to a transformer. If so, how many volts does it need?

Thanks

Lauren

PS. Thank you!!! to the one who tipped me about the $20 rebate icon_biggrin.gif

Your local Radio Shack sells an adaptor for around $10 that plugs into the wall and has a cigarette lighter socket for pluging in mobile devices. I use the standard power cord/data cable and plug it into this adaptor just like I do in the car.

geosign.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Stellartrinity:

how do you find one with a Ac/Dc? I've looked but only see one from garmin. Or, is it the cable with bare wire, and you have to hook it to a transformer. If so, how many volts does it need?

Thanks

Lauren

PS. Thank you!!! to the one who tipped me about the $20 rebate icon_biggrin.gif

Your local Radio Shack sells an adaptor for around $10 that plugs into the wall and has a cigarette lighter socket for pluging in mobile devices. I use the standard power cord/data cable and plug it into this adaptor just like I do in the car.

geosign.gif