Virginia Promoting Geocaching!

stepol

While other states are discussing banning geocaching, the Virginia Tourism Corporation which runs the official website for the Commonwealth of Virginia has begun promoting it as the perfect tourist activity. Check out the following website:

Geocaching and Letterboxing: Virginia is for Lovers

The page does say that some geocaches were underground so we did contact the department to let them know that geocaches were not buried. They said they were referring to a few caches in the western part of the state that were in located in caves but that they would clarify it.

In fact, they were incredibly open to hearing about geocaching and even added a link so others could share their geocaching experiences.

Maybe Virginia can pick up some Geotourism dollars from disgruntled SC cachers!!!

In a pseudo-related topic, I contacted my City Parks Dept and confirmed they have a positive policy on geocaching. I will be posting it here when they e-mail it to me. They also asked if I would come in and speak to the board and give them more information and demonstrations.

Whoo-hoo! I can geocache in my town!

:D

While other states are discussing banning geocaching, the Virginia Tourism Corporation which runs the official website for the Commonwealth of Virginia has begun promoting it as the perfect tourist activity.  Check out the following website:

Geocaching and Letterboxing: Virginia is for Lovers

The page does say that some geocaches were underground so we did contact the department to let them know that geocaches were not buried.  They said they were referring to a few caches in the western part of the state that were in located in caves but that they would clarify it.

In fact, they were incredibly open to hearing about geocaching and even added a link so others could share their geocaching experiences.

Maybe Virginia can pick up some Geotourism dollars from disgruntled SC cachers!!!

And I quote: "But to be safe, be sure you're treading on Public Property."

We'll just have to see if this also pertains to Civil War Cemeteries and the like...or not. I'll let you know if they respond to my inquiry. :D

Edited by Team Cotati
I loved this line:

"Plenty of ecentric people love creating caches for your amusement."

:)

Not only am I eCcentric, but I'm a card-carrying licensed deputy of the spelling police. Seeing as their mission is an honorable one, I'll let them slide on this violation.

Off-Topic:

Don't police officers generally have badges, not cards? :o:D:D

On-Topic:

That's awesome, their new tourism slogan can be "Virginia is for Lovers of Geocaching!"

I wish that Kentucky would promote Geocaching. Although there is no ban, and Geocaching is perfectly fine, I wish that they would promote it like Virginia.

Here is a step in the right direction!

"Pennyrile Forest (State Park) has planned a special event around the hot new sport of geocaching, in which participants use global positioning system devices to find the “prize.” Pennyrile will hold a geocaching weekend on Sept. 9-11."

In a pseudo-related topic, I contacted my City Parks Dept and confirmed they have a positive policy on geocaching.

The operative word here is TOURISM.

I showed my local Parks Rep. NH Moose's log on Quantum Leap and told him some of the behind the scenes stuff that went on between Me and NH Moose coming to hit the Dead Drop and the lightbulb went ON.

I got to log Meet With Your Government Agents when he had me address the Houston Metro Area Park Managers Meeting.

I have found that it depends on where in the state you are. In Michigan, the parks people down state (say...southern part of lower penninsula) don't like geocachers. They also carge to place a cache...I think it's $75 each cache placed. but in the upper half of the state...most of the parks and DNR love us! As long as you stay out of sensitive areas...like Kirtland warbler nesting areas, you are okay. And our local caching club just had a very good cito event this past April in a Grayling city park. There has been some talk about making it harder for cachers to place caches, etc, but that is mostly in the State Parks in the lower half of the state.

I work for a Parks and Recreation Department in Wyoming and locally the P&R department is most supportive of gc and together we plan on placing some caches. A guy I work with is on the State P&R Board and I will ask him to bring it to their next meeting. I doubt that there would be negative feed back. I am going to my first state gc event (not even sure what they are called) and will meet and greet and see how they work. When the State Conference comes to Gillette (next year) maybe we can host an event for the P&R professionals & recreation programmers around the state and it can go forth from there? !! eeeaaahhh - I'm excited !

It's good to be a Virginian!

Yes I agree... Born and raised in VA and very proud of it.

:D

me three :P

While not having been born in Va, due to being a AF brat and not living in the state for over six years, due to assignments while in the AF. I still consider Va. home and am happy to see them promote Geocaching. So me 4.

It's good to see the state I live in recognizes the potential economic impact of geocaching. My friends laugh at me because I base my decision to stay at a particular hotel depending on the distance to the nearest caches. I guess I'm hooked, huh?

:D Don't let cudlecub fool ya. He sleeps on the ground near a cache or in a tree that is on a trail leading to a cache. :P