Geocaching & Point To Point Directions Gps

Hello everybody!

I'm looking to buy a gps that can offer me driving directions and can handle itself in the woods...

Any suggestions? My research is showing me that something like this doesn't really exist...am i just wrong?

oh and of course I'd like it to be cheap!

thanks for helping a newb, this is a crazy crazy hobby..

mr

mulligans

Hi,

Some of the Garmin and Magellan GPS receiver do that. However, it depends on how much information you want to have for driving directions. For example, for years I used the Garmin GPS V for exactly what you have questioned. I could enter a location on the GPS V and given that I had the correct maps loaded, it would create a route (turn by turn) and get me there. It even had Point of Interest (POI) capability such as food & drink, lodging, attractions and other items.

What it did lack is voice navigation. When driving, voice navigation is very valuable because you don't have to look at the GPS receiver to get to your destination. The small handhelds would "beep" and a direction screen would appear instructing you to where to go by showing arrows and map intersections.

So in short, there are GPS receivers that do exactly what you enquired about. I have many GPS receivers and tend to like the Garmin V because of its capability of rotating the screen in portrait or landscape mode. Use the landscape mode for driving and the portrait mode for caching.

However, I now use a voice navigation system for driving.

The Garmin 60C or CS will give you point to point directions if you also purchase the City Select software. It also does pretty well in the woods though mine has some problems in very heavy tree cover down south.

Forget cheap. You will probably have to pay between $350 and $400 for a C or a CS I would suggest the C since its cheaper and the only disadvantage is it doesn't have a built in compass. Software will cost around another $80. I spent 149 on Ebay for the software and a vehicle mount so I could use its point to point capabilities.

I travel in my work and this GPS keeps me from getting lost while I am traveling. Once there I have already downloaded the caches in the area so I can search in the evenings.

Hope this helps some. :D

We have a Garmin Etrex Vista C and the City Select Auto navigation Kit. It does exactly what you are asking. We just recently got the nav kit and have used it mostly just for caching using the basic mapping that was installed. We used the navigation features and mapping on our recent trip to NM. Some of the maps are off but it was still very helpful in finding where we needed to go...especially in El Paso, TX. The type of units that give verbal commands are really expensive and I would be afraid to take it out of the car to go caching. We spent about $300 on the GPSr and $90 on the nav kit. Best Buy has the kit on sale right now...if they have any left...for $104.

The GPS V deluxe

The eTrex Legend C

The eTrex Vista C

The GPS Map 60C and 60CS

The GPSMap 76CS (and C if they have a C)

All of these will let you get point to piont driving directions and will correct on the fly if you make a wrong turn or don't make the turn in time.

The software you will need is called Mapsource City Select. You have to buy it separatly from the GPS except in the case of the GPS V which comes with it. All of those are color except the GPS V.

Forget cheap. You will probably have to pay between $350 and $400 for a C or a CS

The GPS V is relatively cheap and does autorouting. I've seen the deluxe package for as little as $200 and it the City Select mapping software is included in that price. With most other units its $120 additional.

There are some tradeoffs with this unit as its older technology and has limited memory, but if there are budget concerns it's a great choice.

For example, for years I used the Garmin GPS V for exactly what you have questioned....  What it did lack is voice navigation. When driving, voice navigation is very valuable because you don't have to look at the GPS receiver to get to your destination

The type of units that give verbal commands are really expensive and I would be afraid to take it out of the car to go caching

Check out the Lowrance iWay 100m it's currently selling for $343 at that link, and that includes the PC software, memory card reader and one memory card. This is the ONLY consumer GPSr on the market that has voice guided navigation ability, it literally TELLS you to turn left/right so you don't have to look away from the road down to a GPS screen for guidance. It also has very fast auto-rerouting ability so in case you do miss your turn it will very quickly recalculate and present you your alternative turns to get back on track. The unit is also rugged enough to be used out in the woods for Geocaching etc.

Edited by IVxIV
The GPS V deluxe

The eTrex Legend C

The eTrex Vista C

The GPS Map 60C and 60CS

The GPSMap 76CS (and C if they have a C)

All of these will let you get point to piont driving directions and will correct on the fly if you make a wrong turn or don't make the turn in time.

The software you will need is called Mapsource City Select.  You have to buy it separatly from the GPS except in the case of the GPS V which comes with it.  All of those are color except the GPS V.

You forgot the Quest. The Quest comes with the City Select.

The Quest does a great job in the woods, and i easy to carry