Search Cache In Specific Location

Double D Pirates

Welcome to Geocaching. I, too, cache with my kids. I hope your family finds it as rewarding and full of "quality time" as mine does.

Next time you swing by the park, take out your GPSr and mark the coordinates near the park. Go to advanced search, and search by coordinates, and geocaches nearest those coordinates will be listed in order of how close they are. With any luck, somewhere in the top 10 or so will be a cache or two in said park.

Jeep Dog is right - a search by Long/Lat would be best. But if you don't know the Long/Lat, or want to figure it out without visiting the park first, you should be able to find out by using the Zipcode, as follows:

Do the Zipcode search using the Zip of the town that the park is in. Open up the cache page for the first cache which appears in the list (we'll call this "Cache 1"), then look at the map on Cache 1's page. Get your bearings on the map, then figure out from the map where Cache 1 is with respect to your park (for example, Cache 1 appears to be to about two miles to the south-east of the park). Click on "...all nearby caches", and using the left hand column (the one that shows the direction arrow and distance) look for any caches which appear to be the right approximate distance and direction from Cache 1 (for example, about 2 miles to the north west of the current cache). If there are caches there, check them out and see if they appear to be in the park.

Run your zipcode search. Then look for this icon map_it.gif in the upper right of the list of caches that appears. Click the icon. You can then move around in the map that appears until you locate the area you are looking for.

Edited by Thot

Welcome to the time consuming addicting hobby. :ph34r:

Another way is to go the geocaching's home page. Select your state in the top right hand corner of the page. At the top of the next page, beside the state name, click map. This will display your states map and all of the caches. Zoom in and in and in on your city. There is not a lot of detail to this map but you will get a good bird's eye view of where all the caches are located in your city. Select Identify and then click on a cache. The names will appear on the map and a hyperlink will appear below the map. Select a cache that looks like it is close to a park and then select map for that particular cache. This will give you a more detailed map showing you exactly where the cache is located. This map will also show you any other nearby caches. Again you can click Identify and view their names.

I use this technique whenever I am traveling to a different area or to locate caches along a highway.

Enjoy the hunt.

Thank you all so much for your responses. The zip code I want to search in covers a large area so it was hard for me to pinpoint the location based on titles. Now I know to do a zip code search and then a mapquest. For sites that are closer to my home I will also follow the suggestion of getting its GPS and then searching.

Thanks so much for the help.