Ever Have The Cops Called On You?

yeah, the cache was a suburban micro that required after-hours parking at a lot across the street. i guess the neighbors could have overlooked one or two people crossing a busy street late at night to stare at a cemetary railing. the problem was that we were a pretty big group and by the time we all ran across the street gladys kravitz thought it was the same person or two running back and forth across the street, playing chicken with the traffic. really, i think poor gladys should have asked for the night-vision monocular or something for mother's day...at least a gift certificate from cabela's so she can save up for one!!

-denali :lol:

:P I was benchmarking at the San Mateo bridge and 3 CHP cars came zooming up to investigate.

Since I am retired from the military I wasn't too worried.

I showed them the printouts I had downloaded from USGS and they went away.

I kind of wonder what they would have done otherwise as they were not too happy.

Never by the "PO PO" .

But I did get confronted by a Walmart manager for searching a light pole. I did not see the picnic table full of Walmart workers watching while retrieved and signed a micro log. Told him I was tying my shoe and then wife pulled up in the get a way car.

HA HA HA we laughed all the way out of the lot.

I just heard of security being called on a geocacher because he had a TV news with him. Yup, the ongoing saga of geocaching is SC. Look for a posting tomorrow of a video link to the news story.

We just spent a week in SC and did some geocaching - no calls to the police there!

But we have been called on twice back here at home in Ohio - once placing a cache (the neighbors were suspicious since we kept coming back to the park day after day carrying "strange objects" - guess we should have just taken one set of coords!) and the other time hunting a cache on a town square. Too close to the road, we guess. That one was at night, so the flashlights probably gave us away. When we told the officers what we were doing they radioed in "they're on some sort of scavenger hunt" - you could just here the "you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me" in their voices!

Found its better to tell the truth than a lie - we weren't doing anything illegal after all.

We did wonder if anyone ever had to answer "to the law" about what they were doing or why they were at a particlar spot so late at night.....with a flash-light.....and a back-pack...... :unsure:

Just about a year ago, some drunk at a 4th of July party saw me dart into the woods. He called the cops and said I was trying to bomb the parade. He implicated some other stranger that had parked behind me. The SWAT team grabbed me as I returned to my car. I missed the fireworks while sitting in the town jail.

-WR

Just about a year ago, some drunk at a 4th of July party saw me dart into the woods. He called the cops and said I was trying to bomb the parade. He implicated some other stranger that had parked behind me. The SWAT team grabbed me as I returned to my car. I missed the fireworks while sitting in the town jail.

And I thought that it was just the Flying Monkeys we had to worry about!

I havent encountered the police yet, but something like that. I was doing a Memorial Battle Tank (MBT) and an old gentleman drove right up to us. He said that we had better get away from "his" tank or he was going to call the cops. We informed he we were doing nothing wrong. He drove by several times afterward.

I havent encountered the police yet, but something like that. I was doing a Memorial Battle Tank (MBT) and an old gentleman drove right up to us. He said that we had better get away from "his" tank or he was going to call the cops. We informed he we were doing nothing wrong. He drove by several times afterward.

he thought you were going to damage his TANK? were you carrying howitzers at the time. :blink: bazookas maybe? :unsure:

I have had the police call me at home after someone found my cache and reported it as suspicious. Had enough info in the box to take them to the web site so they researched it and put some of their police business cards in it and told me I could put it back. I had thought I went through the proper channels like letting the proper authorities know what I was doing and getting the permission of all but I guess the proper authorities did not pass this info down the line. All is well now though.

I have had 3 encounters with the police. All of them have ended positively.

1. I was in Omaha caching when a police officer stopped me wanting to know what I was doing. I told the truth. He smiled and told me he knew where the cache was but had been told not to help. When a group of misquided youths came by he chased them off so I could find the cache.

2. A police officer found one of my caches because a local thought it was a drug drop. Once he found the cache he signed the log and left his business card.

3. I was recently caching in Houston when I was stopped by an officer. I again told him the truth about what I was doing and even showed him the cache. After we had talked for a while he asked my what kind of GPS he should buy so he could get started.

;)

I was in, uh, geeze, I don't even remember. Someplace between Elizabethtown and Lancaster, PA, this afternoon, furiously searching for a micro (that I ended up DNFing anyway). Cop pulls up. Watches. I don't notice. Watches some more. Finally, I look up, GPS in one hand, PDA in the other, pen hanging out of my mouth, and he laughs, waves, and pulls out.

Somehow I think this particular cop knows about geocaching.... :-)

Yes, my sister and I were after a cache hidden on an overpass, when a State Trooper came roaring up with sirens blaring and lights flashing. Someone had called 911 and reported two ladies were about to commit suicide.

He was really mad. I don't know if it was because we hadn't or if he was just concerned.

A more recent experience, where the cops weren't actually called, but they showed up:

We were doing a cache on state game lands. Under most circumstances, (except for under certain exceptions) it is illegal to have a motor vehicle on state game lands. One of those exceptions is if there's a road going through.

Well this one cache had a nice township "road" leading through the state game lands directly to it. The road itself was more of an off-road trail than any actual road.

Anyway, at one point there's this gate, except the gate was laying on the side of the road, busted up.

We continue on the road to the cache.

Unfortunately, the road officially ended at the broken gate. A game warden's truck popped out of nowhere.

He could have very easily fined us several hundred dollars, but we explained what we were doing, and he decided that our intentions were mostly pure, so he let us off with a warning.

I have not had a run-in with cops, but the former owner of a property, who still lives there with a lifetime lease on the farm house, who questioned what I was doing in the park. Hiking is a legal activity on her former farm, but she was uptight about who comes to the area.

I archived the 2 caches in the park. Enough!