Yosemite Benchmark

sevenfooter1

Recently I visited Yosemite National Park and found a benchmark while on a hike between the Grizzly Giant and Fallen Tunnel Tree located at the museum. There's a drinking fountain at this location with a benchmark designated as 54B. The coordinates for it are: N37 30.862 W119 35.966. Unfortunately when I visited the geocaching site to log it there wasn't a benchmark to fit this description. Can somebody answer this question?

Hi, "Seven."

By now you've presumably read the benchmark FAQ and you understand why many marks aren't in the Gc.com database.

However, you're in luck. ;-) The benchmark you found was monumented by the USGS in 1934, and I happen to have a bunch of old USGS records from Yosemite. (Which include a number of BPR and C&GS marks as well as ones installed by USGS.) Here's your mark:

"The Museum, 35 ft NW. of; 45 ft SW. of center of one-way rd. to Wawona Point, 4 ft NE. of 84 inch fir, 15 ft SW. of 42 inch fir; top of NW rock on base of drinking fountain; std. tablet stamped '54 B 1934 6461.'"

It's shown as BM 6461 on the USGS Mariposa Grove 7.5' quad.

The "nn B" is a giveaway that it's one of the USGS marks in the park. E.g., 60 B is at the park entrance south of the entry station, 41 B is at the Wawona campground, etc. etc.

If you want to see the records I got from USGS, Zhanna has kindly posted them on her website in PDF form at:

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/USGS/USGS_CA.shtml

The mark you found is in the Big Trees Ranger Station group.

Do you get to Yosemite often? There are a bunch more benchmarks yet to be found there. :-)

Patty

Thanks to everyone that responded to this post. My question has been answered and I've learned a lot in the process. Although I don't think I'll be getting back to Yosemite anytime soon (due to the fact that I live in Colorado), I'm glad that I had the chance to find some caches and a benchmark. Thanks again.

Thanks, Patty and Shirley, for taking care of this! I was out of town and without 'Net access for over a week (yes, I'm still twitching! :lol:) but I'm glad you were here to point out the information on my site. When I saw the subject name I figured I'd have a post to write, but you took care of it for me. Thanks.

Nice find, sevenfooter1! And welcome. :lol:

~Zhanna

http://surveymarks.planetzhanna.com/