Cache Series

A cacher named Shaconage has a series called He's Alive! in the Sevier County area near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They're mostly small, even tiny mountain community churches. I've only done a few so far, but I've really enjoyed getting out on the backroads and seeing the sights. He also has a series called Restin' With..., which are near small rural cemeteries in the area...some long forgotten. If you're visiting the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, these are both really fun series to work on.

YES!!!! I have personally done most of the caches in that series....and that was one of the best weekends of caching I think I have ever done.

I have a series placed in the Buffalo area focusing on all the Frank Lloyd Wright designed buildings here. In total there are 6 houses, a demolished office building, and a mausoleum with a boathouse and filling station coming in the future. There are five caches in the series with clues leading to the sixth.

I assume you are asking about open-ended series that anyone can add to, as opposed to a series 'owned' by someone, leading to a final cache.

In my area (SE Florida), we have several such series:

* There's No Place Like Home (some are marked as 'Not'). Placed near Home Depots. (the 'Not's are placed near Lowe's). Don't assume they are just parking lot lampost hides, either.

* End of the Road. Placed at the dead ends of roads. Some can take you to some interesting locals.

* Bullseye. Placed in Target parking lots

* Always. Placed in Wal-Mart parking lots

I've actually taken to creating bookmarks of these in my area, and add to them when I find them.

There is a 106 cache "BattleShip Series" in southeastern Wisconsin. It's played just like the boardgame Battleship. There are 100 caches hidden and as you find them each one is marked as a HIT or a MISS. Each HIT gives you an additional coordinates to find an extra cache for each ship you sink. Once you've sunk all five ships you will also have the coordinates for the entire series finale.

I assume you are asking about open-ended series that anyone can add to, as opposed to a series 'owned' by someone, leading to a final cache.

* There's No Place Like Home (some are marked as 'Not'). Placed near Home Depots. (the 'Not's are placed near Lowe's). Don't assume they are just parking lot lampost hides, either.

* End of the Road. Placed at the dead ends of roads. Some can take you to some interesting locals.

I've actually taken to creating bookmarks of these in my area, and add to them when I find them.

Other then the end of the road series, which as you say can lead to some interesting locales, the others fall into a category of what I call a contrived series. There's usually nothing particularly interesting to be found in the parking lot of one of those big box stores, and although there are exceptions, most of the caches tend to lack imagination. Just the fact that a contrived series has been created doesn't make a cache in a Wal-Mart parking lot any more interesting then a cache in a parking lot without a big box store in it.

A few of the local series in my area include:

Caches on old metal bridges crossing some of the many small creeks in the area. The creator of most of these caches knows a lot about these old bridges and describes where it was made, what kind of construction was used, etc. in the page listings.

A relatively small series of caches called "B" caches. The CO has created a bunch of caches on old Bridges but in this case, all of them are on bridges that are no longer in use, most of which on rural roads that crossed small streams.

A "Bell" series where the CO has found churches and small parks with large bells in them. Not all of them are really interesting spots but many of them are.

Another local cachers has created several "River Run" series caches that all require a small canoe or kayak for access. Each of the trips is down a different small creek with about 10 caches each.

Other then the end of the road series, which as you say can lead to some interesting locales, the others fall into a category of what I call a contrived series. There's usually nothing particularly interesting to be found in the parking lot of one of those big box stores, and although there are exceptions, most of the caches tend to lack imagination. Just the fact that a contrived series has been created doesn't make a cache in a Wal-Mart parking lot any more interesting then a cache in a parking lot without a big box store in it.

The post you were responding to was four years old and that the poster is not active in the forums. That being said, you will note that the poster was referring to 'community' cache series where anyone can place a new cache. As such, I can see the fun in owning one of these. As a cacher with very little (no?) free time, I do enjoy finding a quick cache in these locations.

The post you were responding to was four years old and that the poster is not active in the forums. That being said, you will note that the poster was referring to 'community' cache series where anyone can place a new cache. As such, I can see the fun in owning one of these. As a cacher with very little (no?) free time, I do enjoy finding a quick cache in these locations.

That fact that the post I was responding to is four years old is irrelevant. Although I haven't seen a "There's No Place Home" or "Bullseye" series in my area, I've seen quite a few in the "Always" series as well as a series located at common coffee/breakfast fast food place. There's also one called "Drug Wars" which includes caches placed near a couple of different chain drug stores that often are located close to each other.

If you, or anyone else enjoys finding quick caches, I'm certainly not going to suggest that you not enjoy them. That doesn't mean I can't post my opinion that I think that many of these types of series are contrived and end up typically just being an excuse to throw out a cache that has no other redeeming qualities other than it provides a quick find and increments ones find count by one. The fact that it's part of a series does not, to me, make it any more interesting then if had nothing to do with some sort of retail chain. In fact, caches placed as part of a series based on some big box retain chain often require less imagination on the part of a CO because they don't even have to come up with something unique in the cache listing. Most of the ones I have seen follow a basic formula for the cache name (i.e. Always #nnnn)

and you'll find cache descriptions could pretty much be a cut-n-paste from another in the series.

That fact that the post I was responding to is four years old is irrelevant. Although I haven't seen a "There's No Place Home" or "Bullseye" series in my area, I've seen quite a few in the "Always" series as well as a series located at common coffee/breakfast fast food place. There's also one called "Drug Wars" which includes caches placed near a couple of different chain drug stores that often are located close to each other.

If you, or anyone else enjoys finding quick caches, I'm certainly not going to suggest that you not enjoy them. That doesn't mean I can't post my opinion that I think that many of these types of series are contrived and end up typically just being an excuse to throw out a cache that has no other redeeming qualities other than it provides a quick find and increments ones find count by one. The fact that it's part of a series does not, to me, make it any more interesting then if had nothing to do with some sort of retail chain. In fact, caches placed as part of a series based on some big box retain chain often require less imagination on the part of a CO because they don't even have to come up with something unique in the cache listing. Most of the ones I have seen follow a basic formula for the cache name (i.e. Always #nnnn)

and you'll find cache descriptions could pretty much be a cut-n-paste from another in the series.

Well, heck. There's two perfectly good reasons right there. I gave another in the post that you replied to.

My favorite here is called the LP (Lazy People) series. They are placed on working and out of order pay phones all over the town. It is interesting to see how many phone skeletons are still there, and when you come upon on that is actually in use and have to wait a long time for the conversation to finish.

They don't take you anywhere spectacular, but they are nice to get when you aren't int he mood to bushwack your way to a find. Or, if you bushwacked and got DNF's all day, a quick park and grab is always nice. There are 20 something out there in this series right now.

Also, a bridge series nearby. I'd rather see the covered bridges though, rather than just little county guardrail finds.

We have just started a new series on the Sunshine Coast in beautiful British Columbia. It is called Wheeling Around and is specifically geared towards people in wheelchairs or people pushing strollers. The preamble on each cache says:" This caching series has been specifically developed so that cachers who are in wheelchairs or who have children in strollers can enjoy the sport. Each cache has been hidden without any obstacles for wheelchairs and can be reached by anyone at a sitting level."

This series is not owned by any one cacher; the local cachers who are interested contact the moderator of our local Sunshine Coast Geocacher group and say they want to put out a Wheeling Around and he assigns them a number. The only stipulation is that the preamble is the same and it must be wheelchair accessible. So far we have 4 caches out and 2 more in the works. Wheeling Around #1 is GC2FEST and provides a bookmark list of the others in the series.

Personally, we also have a Favourite Finds series that has been so much fun to do. As we are caching around North America we come across some really fun caches - some easy, some hard, some that just make you go "Aha!". We then come home and put out a copy in our series. Favourite Finds #1 is GC16A4X and there is a bookmark list of the other 11 caches in the series on the webpage.

Happy caching, all!

Edited by Afternoonshift