Please Help Me Choose.....

a new GPS. We are new to gc but I've fallen head over heels for it. Although dh has fun with it, I can see that I'm going to be more into itthan he is. So, I should have my own gps right? Right now we are using a Magellan Meridian Marine and it seems to be hard to learn, not easy to use, poor coverage under tree's etc. We live in Oregon so I'm looking for:

easy to use, for myself and kids, good maps since we are mostly caching ruraly (is that a word? LOL) good reception for tree's and bad weather and I don't know what else at this time. Can someone send me some suggestions on a handheld or point me in the direction of the most useful previous thread? TIA

Mamafish

For ease of use, the Garmin units like the Map 60C(S), Map 60, Legend C, Vista C and 76C(S) are probably best choice. All have excellent reception, color screens (except the Map 60) and a very intuiative user interface. All also support autorouting and have a fast USB connection for PC connectivity.

The Magellan eXplorist 400-600 would be the way to go if reception is your highest priority. Though I haven't used one yet, they get very high grades for reception from most who use them. The eXplorists also have a USB connection and the 500 and 600 have color screens. Their interface will be somewhat similar to the Meridian's so if yoiu find that difficult, you may have issues with these though.

I'd also recommend the Lowrance iFinder Pro, H20 and PHD, for their excellent reception and great value but their interface is more confusing than Garmins and Magellans.

a new GPS. We are new to gc but I've fallen head over heels for it. Although dh has fun with it, I can see that I'm going to be more into itthan he is. So, I should have my own gps right? Right now we are using a Magellan Meridian Marine and it seems to be hard to learn, not easy to use, poor coverage under tree's etc. We live in Oregon so I'm looking for:

easy to use, for myself and kids, good maps since we are mostly caching ruraly (is that a word? LOL) good reception for tree's and bad weather and I don't know what else at this time. Can someone send me some suggestions on a handheld or point me in the direction of the most useful previous thread? TIA

Mamafish

Hello fellow Oregonian!

As far as the trees, etc are concerned, any GPS unit will be affected by that - just as reception while going through a tunnel or being in your office w/o no windows and walls surrounding you would affect reception.

As far a recommendations go, I can't much help you there, as I use my smartphone in tandem w/ a GPS transceiver. You might give REI a visit. They've got a fair selection of GPS units and might let you 'play with the buttons and dials' before buying (who knows, you might even find a fellow Geocacher among the employees - or bring one in to the fold:P )

fishfam,

I don't know what part of Oregon you are in or if you plan on using the GPS for anything besides geocahing or not.

I am in the Medford area, and use the Garmin GPSmap 76CS for geocaching as well as highway travel and am very pleased with this unit and the mapping software.

Ernie