Pocket Queries

Z_Statman

Here it is Sunday and my Saturday PQ still hasn't arrived.

Is this getting to be too much for cg.com to handle?

Edited to note: "They haven't even been executed!"

:D:(:lol::):D:D

Try running a new one-time one and see if it shows up. Please let us know what happens.

I didn't get my Thu or Fri PQ but I got my Sat PQ at 4:15PM.

It is a pain! I have complained of this several times - I get a lot of flack of how to get around it here. But I agree with OP. We should not have to 'get around' PQ issues by going in and creating a one-time special PQ just to get one on time.

Has anyone ever considered that it may be that the real problem of delayed or missing PQ's is caused by everyone putting in one-time PQ's to get them exactly when they want one?

Just maybe if everyone left the system alone it could do it's thing and we'd ALL get them when we were supposed to get them.

Like OP said - if it doesn't work, then what's the point?

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

Well Sat's PQ arrived at 7:30 +/- AM EST today. The gc.com pocket query site shows it was run around 11:30 AM PST on Sat so that puts it about 2:30 my time - NO WAY! I checked my email numerous time Sat afternoon and my spam, etc filters did *not* kick it out or delay it so what gives!

I have a Premium membership because of PC, for the most part, and now - Oh well - hope they will look into this.

Well Sat's PQ arrived at 7:30 +/- AM EST today. The gc.com pocket query site shows it was run around 11:30 AM PST on Sat so that puts it about 2:30 my time - NO WAY! I checked my email numerous time Sat afternoon and my spam, etc filters did *not* kick it out or delay it so what gives!

There's more than one link in this chain. You have to take your ISP and its mail-delivery system into account. I suspect that the PQ was actually generated at the time the PQ page said it was. Then the mail was sent. However, your ISP's mail server may not have been receiveing mail at that moment. Or, perhaps your ISP did receive the mail, but it got delayed in the ISP's system somewhere.

If you study the FULL headers of the mail you received, you should be able to determine when the mail moved and where the delay was before it was handed off to your box.

There is nothing, by the way, in the email specification, that guarantees -- or even suggests -- that email will be instantanous. We've come to expect delivery within a very short time, but no one makes any promises that it will be so.

You Sunday query which ran at 11:34 AM PT, was successfully delivered to your mail provider's mail server within 4 seconds of being generated. Any delay in receiving that query was internal to their servers, not ours. I'll send you a PM the log entries in case you'd like to follow up with them on this issue.

:D Elias

Some things I have noticed,

You can only run 5 queries in a 24 hour period, if you have a bunch of queries that run late on friday, your saturday queries wont run until late also.

A single query runs later in the day based on when it ran last, if you have one query that runs every day, you might be better off making seven identical queries that run on different days of the week.

Been waiting 12 hours for one time queries here, even logs on caches arent showing for past few days, Me thinks more is afoot.

Hmmm, everything looks ok with the PQ Generator. Can you be more specific as to what you're seeing?

:lol: Elias

Preview (100) Near Home Not Found 6/14/2005 8:58:38 AM

Preview (125) Near Work Seattle 6/14/2005 9:14:43 AM

Preview (100) Bellevue 6/14/2005 9:14:52 AM

Preview (100) Tacoma 6/14/2005 9:29:40 AM

These PQ are scheduled to run on Tuesdays and Fridays. They usually show in my email during the day. I have not seen Fridays (Jun 17). It's 9:00 pm now. According to the "My Pocket Queries" they haven't been processed yet. See the above times for when they last ran.

I have 1 PQ scheduled on Mon, 4 on Tues, 4 on Fri and 5 on Sat.

Did something happen to the PQ generator machine today that may of caused my PQs not to run?

Thanks

Terrible Ts

Can you be more specific as to what you're seeing?

:lol: Elias

Received: from pd2mi1so.prod.shaw.ca ([10.0.121.100])

by pd3mr8so.prod.shaw.ca (Sun ONE Messaging Server 6.0 HotFix 1.01 (built Mar

15 2004)) with ESMTP id <0IHW00GK49OSEB70@pd3mr8so.prod.shaw.ca> for

j2d2@shaw.ca (ORCPT j2d2@shaw.ca); Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:37:18 -0600 (MDT)

Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com (signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.133])

by pd2mi1so.prod.shaw.ca

(Sun ONE Messaging Server 6.0 HotFix 1.01 (built Mar 15 2004))

with ESMTP id <0IHW00F049PBUF00@pd2mi1so.prod.shaw.ca> for j2d2@shaw.ca

(ORCPT j2d2@shaw.ca); Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:36:49 -0600 (MDT)

Received: from bender.Groundspeak.com (bender.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.141])

by signal.Groundspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 10920132D09  for

<j2d2@shaw.ca>; Thu, 09 Jun 2005 03:25:36 -0700 (PDT)

Here's part of the headers of one of mine that was delayed. (I'm certainly no expert at reading these things).

I have this one set up to run on Thursday.

Received by bender at 03:25 on Thursday, received by signal at 18:36 on Friday.

I have no idea what that means.

Preview (100) Near Home Not Found 6/14/2005 8:58:38 AM

Preview (125) Near Work Seattle 6/14/2005 9:14:43 AM

Preview (100) Bellevue 6/14/2005 9:14:52 AM

Preview (100) Tacoma 6/14/2005 9:29:40 AM

Preview (100) Near Home Not Found 6/17/2005 11:57:43 PM

Preview (125) Near Work Seattle 6/18/2005 7:47:41 AM

Preview (100) Tacoma 6/18/2005 8:01:37 AM

Preview (100) Bellevue 6/18/2005 9:07:12 AM

As you can see my PQs finally ran. These were supposed to run on Fri the 17th.

Terrible Ts

I too seem to be having problems. Have 1 scheduled to run Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Got it Wednesday, but not Friday. Got one today at 12:13 pm. Don't know if that is yesterday's or today's. I have noticed that for about the last month or so, they have been coming much later in the day.

Also, did not receive Weekly Cache Notification this week.

Several weeks ago a more-experienced cacher in this area told me the "secret."

He said to set up as many PQs as you want, but don't set them to run on a regular basis as I had done. He said they somehow they get stuck in the queue sometimes and only the new ones run.

So, now I just run a PQ the day or night before for the area I think I'm going to be heading towards.

The PQ I run usually gets to my InBox a few minutes after I submit it.

yet another weekend - No PQ for following dates -

June 16 - 17 - 18

and for you purists who think today is not over, at 5:30 in the afternoon

MY caching day IS over. It doens't do one much good to get a PQ at 11:57 PM

does it?

lat one ran 6/15/2005 11:47:55 PM copied and pasted from PQ page.

see what I mean about getting it so late?

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

I tried the technique I outlined above for the area where we are going tomorrow and although two others have come through, the two I need STILL haven't come through . . . :yikes:

So, although there are still some hours left for "Saturday," I don't want to be loading data into Cachemate and my GPSr late tonight when I need to be doing other things to get ready.

Does someone need to go kick the PQ server?

How long have you guys had your PQs in the database?

I've noticed since i've first entered my usuals, every week they get done later and later. They first got done around 1AM, then around 4, then 5, 6, now they don't run till about noon...

6/16/2005 11:23:04 AM

6/16/2005 11:23:47 AM

6/16/2005 11:26:11 AM

6/16/2005 11:27:19 AM

6/17/2005 12:58:11 PM

I think the longer they stay in there, the less priority they have versus other PQs in the system. Perhaps someone should try making copies of your PQs, deleting the old ones, and see what happens.

Any takers care to run a little experimento?

Edited by Marcie/Eric

Okay, since I've been waiting all day for some I set to run just today, not ones I have running on a regular basis, I did that. I set up a brand new one up and it ran and landed in my InBox within five minutes.

I'm happy I have the data, but that is a hassle, expecially if you are setting the query up based on coordinates instead of zip code or waypoint. It takes a fair amount of time to research the coordinates, enter them correctly, set all the variables, etc., etc.

I sure hope this little wrinkle gets ironed out.

K-9 Cachers Posted on Jun 18 2005, 05:27 PM

Have 1 scheduled to run Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Got it Wednesday, but not Friday. Got one today at 12:13 pm. Don't know if that is yesterday's or today's.

Post By Elias

Relevant quote shown below:

Elias Posted: Jun 13 2005, 04:39 PM

The truth is, there are more PQs scheduled for Thursday and Friday than can be physically run in 24 hours. PQs also don't roll over to the next day, so for example, queries that didn't run by midnight Friday night, won't be scheduled to run on Saturday - they're essentially abandoned until the next week.

But don't forget Pocket Query Tips:

Pocket Queries are generated in Pacific Standard Time (PST). This may mean that your Monday is different from our Monday.

Hmmm, everything looks ok with the PQ Generator.  Can you be more specific as to what you're seeing?

:yikes:

Just checked (again) on the PQ page, I have 4 queries, and set them to run daily, last time sent was 16/06 or 06/16 to the yanks. The PQ's were set up on the 14th.

I have just reset all queries to run just once a week to see what happens.

I am certainly 20% under the allowed max queries per day.

I also tried a once off query (then auto delete) and never got it.

Tried that 3 times now.

That enough info?

To the PsTB -

there seems to be two problems - one with PQ's (see my earlier posting)

and one with the weekly (x2) new cache notification that I get on Thurs and Sat.

I have received neither this week.

it is disturbing and disappointing that because there are too many caches for a given day, that we don't get our PQ's at all.

See also my previous posting here in this thread -

it looks like so many people are cheating the system trying to get

'immediate' one-time PQ's that the rest of use who are trying to do things the way they are designed to be done.

So Elias and the rest of you there in the office - what is it that can be down about this problem?

cc\

PS - I just re-upped my yearly subscription to Groundspeak this week too ????

Hmmm....

Edited by CompuCash
it looks like so many people are cheating the system trying to get 'immediate' one-time PQ's that the rest of use who are trying to do things the way they are designed to be done.

. . .

PS - I just re-upped my yearly subscription to Groundspeak this week too ????

Hmmm....

:P I didn't consider it was "cheating the system" since it was the only way I was able to get my PQs. Three weeks ago I sat around most of the day Friday waiting for the four PQs that were supposed to run that day. They never did. That's why when I met another cacher at a night cache that evening and was told how to set it up in order to get my PQs, I tried the "new" method.

Today, even that "new" method didn't work and I had to create a completely new query to get the information I need for tomorrow.

Incidentally, the way I'm doing it now actually has less load on the system because I only run a PQ if and when I think I'm going somewhere instead of four or five of my many PQs running all the time.

I also just re-upped my annual membership today . . . :yikes:

Asking for a PQ to be delivered every day is more cheating the system, IMO. I highly doubt you really need a fresh PQ every day.

I leave all of my PQs unscheduled. When I need one, I enable it for that day and it usually runs within a few minutes.

That to me is how PQs should be run. Anything else is a waste,

Asking for a PQ to be delivered every day is more cheating the system, IMO.

I wouldn't call that cheating the system - the system rarely seemed to get around to actually running daily PQs on a daily basis when I last set mine daily!

However, in the runup to a planned trip, getting daily PQs are good for collecting logs on very frequently visited caches or caches you are watching and want to have all the logs over time in GSAK for research, reading and preparation. With PQs on-demand or weekly, you can sometimes miss logs.

To get dailies, I set up multiple copies and trigger them so each one usually hasn't run in several days. However, even those can sometimes take an hour to come. New queries are always working fine, and sometimes I just make a new one instead.

I like to trigger the PQ while I'm filling my CamelBak that morning, and let GSAK bring in the mail automatically. I export to Mapopolis and head out the door.

and one with the weekly (x2) new cache notification that I get on Thurs and Sat.

Huh? :D

I've NEVER received a saturday new cache notification email; only a thurday one.

Since it's titled "Geocaching.com Weekly Cache Notification", I always assumed it came weekly; ie once a week.

I've NEVER received a saturday new cache notification email; only a thurday one.

Since it's titled "Geocaching.com Weekly Cache Notification", I always assumed it came weekly; ie once a week.

My mistake MOPAR -

It is Thurs and Friday I get mine most of the time, it seems to vary a little but I do get two of them a day or so appart -

So does this make me special or what?

Either way I did not get PQ's NOR Weekly notification this week.

-----Original Message-----

From: Geocaching Notify Bot [mailto:notify.A7G2@geocaching.com]

Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 8:31 PM

To: davestea@comcast.net

Subject: Geocaching.com Weekly Cache Notification

From: Geocaching Notify Bot [mailto:notify.AEP9@geocaching.com]

Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2005 1:21 PM

Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 4:54 AM

----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:06 PM

----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 9:03 PM

Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 3:48 AM

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 6:12 PM

Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 11:59 AM

Edited by CompuCash

My mistake MOPAR -

It is Thurs and Friday I get mine most of the time, it seems to vary a little but I do get two of them a day or so appart -

So does this make me special or what?

I think so! :D

To the best of my knowledge it's only supposed to be once a week on Thursday. There have been some weeks lately when mine has come late, on a Friday, but that's the exception.

I must admit though; since moving to CT I don't pay as much attention to them as I once did. See, I'm on the coastline, and 20 miles from me across the sound is Long Island, NY. Physically, the new caches there are fairly close. Logistically they are essentially off my radar. For me, getting to those new LI caches requires either hours and hours of driving down and around NYC; or a $100 ferry ride. It's much easier for me to just grab a PQ of new caches excluding NY and sort them locally.

yet another weekend - No PQ for following dates -

June 16 - 17 - 18

Unfortunately, your queries are running as expected and following exactly the behavior I described in this thread.

You have one query that is set to run every day of the week. That query will never run on Thursday or Friday, ever. Sorry. It did run on Saturday, admittedly a little late, but it did run.

Your other query which is set to run on only Fridays was run on Friday at 11:22 AM, and that's also about right.

In order to get queries on Thursday and Friday, you'll need to create two new queries, each one running on just that one day. The first time they run they'll run pretty early in the morning, but over time, they'll end up running around noon-ish.

You can also create a new query right when you need one. Most people report that they get them in just a few minutes.

<_< Elias

Hee hee, I'm still waiting, even for the "one" timers i set up.

Ah, I see. You didn't select a day for the one timers to run, so as soon as you saved your query, it was deleted and never ran. Try creating a new one and select today and you should get it in a few minutes.

<_< Elias

I've also been experiencing unusual (8 hour) PQ result mail delivery delays. Here is an example of the mail headers(blanked out identifying info) It is the last hop between geocaching.com and my ISP. Of course there is no way to tell from the mail headers what is the cause of the delay. It is never possible to out the cause of the delay soley from these headers since it could be either the sender didn't attempt the delivery or the receiver rejected earlier delivery attempts.

From contact@geocaching.com Sat Jun 11 06:05:41 2005

Return-Path: <contact@geocaching.com>

Received: from mysip (myisp [myip]) by finalhost (8.12.10/8

.12.8) with ESMTP id j5BD5eG2017107 for <myuserid@finalhost>; Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06:05:40 -070

0 (PDT)

Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com (signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.133]) by myisp

(8.13.3/8.13.3) with ESMTP id j5BD5avC078917 for <mysuerid@domain>; Sat, 11 Jun 2005 06

:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

Received: from bender.Groundspeak.com (bender.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.141]) by signal.gro

undspeak.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 122B3132E2E for <user@host>; Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22

:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

Received: from mail pickup service by bender.Groundspeak.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Fri, 10 Jun

2005 22:31:16 -0700

Thread-Topic: [GEO] Pocket Query: GJJK4A-500-061005.2

thread-index: AcVuRsoSIRE+nGEHR9OA9G0Q6MsIoQ==

X-Mailer: Groundspeak .NET Mailer 0.9

I've also been experiencing unusual (8 hour) PQ result mail delivery delays. Here is an example of the mail headers(blanked out identifying info) It is the last hop between geocaching.com and my ISP. Of course there is no way to tell from the mail headers what is the cause of the delay. It is never possible to out the cause of the delay soley from these headers since it could be either the sender didn't attempt the delivery or the receiver rejected earlier delivery attempts.

Your mail server was timing out right after our server connected. I'll forward the log entries to you.

:P Elias

You might consider getting a freemail account for your geocaching emails. I've has good luck with both yahoo and gmail. An added benefit of these two is they both give you gobs of storage space. 2.3gb on Google, 1gb for Yahoo. Still remember to zip your file or yahoo will sometimes think its infected.