What Would You Do

Messe

I recently pick up a Tagless bug Here comes the Sun.Happy Hippo tried his best to retrieve the number from his memory but alas it was the wrong one,many thanks to HH for trying.I had emailed the owner of said TB 3 times...i did get a reply yesterday telling me that i should return to the cache to check it not in there.I KNOW its not in there because i looked,plus the cache is over 150 miles away.I explianed to him that me and the last cacher thought the cache had been muggled by the fact that i found a `Big fat Joint` in there :D ,i said that maybe the tag was taken but the bug and cache where left.He is still refusing to come across with the number!.

I emailed him this morning saying that i am fed up of chasing HIS bug,and that i was doing him a favour,and i thought he was taking the P***,i told him that if i did not recieve logging number by midnight(going on holiday and wanted to take with me) he would leave me no choice but to set it free never to be seen again.........it goes against my nature to be nasty and i dont like the way this makes me feel...have i done the right thing :lol:

I emailed him this morning saying that i am fed up of chasing HIS bug,and that i was doing him a favour,and i thought he was taking the P***,i told him that if i did not recieve logging number by midnight(going on holiday and wanted to take with me) he would leave me no choice but to set it free never to be seen again.........it goes against my nature to be nasty and i dont like the way this makes me feel...have i done the right thing :lol:

Sounds like you're in the right, but giving people an ultimatum very rarely does anything but harm.

It's his TB. If he doesn't want it to move on, that's entirely his problem. There's no point in allowing yourself to feel guilty.

I would probably put the TB in a Ziploc with a little note saying who the owner is, and inviting the next finder to get in touch with him, and leave that in another cache.

The nice thing about the TB system is that when the owner does wake up to the fact that he's not getting very good value out of it, and decides to give out the number (or, better still, send the current holder the copy tag by snail mail), it will reconstitute itself.

Yes I think you have done the right thing. This person obviously doesn't realise that you are giving an inch and he/she wants a mile, or 150 in this case. I would presume that you have offered to make up a temporary number tag? If so, put it out after the deadline, you have gave them the chance. I personally would have jumped at your offer of help, and would be the type of thing that I would do as well.

:D dont feel so guilty now :( ..will attach a note to it saying bug owner was unhelpfull in giving number..i wish you luck if you contact him... :D...or i could take JollyJax advise `Burn the useless piece of tat!`... :lol::D:) ....will let you know if deadline met...until midnight..thanks for all your positive feedback

That's people for you!

Years ago I found a mobile phone in bits near where I lived. I picked up all the bits and put the phone back together then on charge. I couldn't find out who owned it as it was locked.

I could tell that it was vodafone so I rang them on their expensive number. After long waits wading through automated phone systems they wouldn't put me in contact with the owner (fair enough), neither would they put the owner in touch with me (odd!). They suggested that I took it to the nearest police station.. This was 15 miles away and I had no intention of doing this so I had the idea that someone would ring the number eventually.

Sure enough, the next day the phone started to ring. I picked it up said hello then explained that this wasn't my phone and I had found it and could they tell me who the owner was. All I got for my troubles was a stream of expletives from the prat at the other end. I let him finish abusing me verbally then told him of the steps that I had taken to re-unite him with his phone. I then asked him to hold the line and wait for the next sound. It would be the sound of my size 9 boot stamping on his phone prior to dumping it in my kitchen bin.

Stamping on that phone and reducing it to a heap of shattered plastic felt wonderful. The fact that I had told this retard the effort that I had gone to to re-unite him with his phone meant that my conscience was clear.

The world is full of prats whose mouths operate ahead of their brains. Take the bug tag and toss it in the bin. It's their loss!

Edited by 60North