Garmin Gps 60

SandMarks

:laughing:

Hi, I just bought a Garmin GPS 60, not the 60C or 60CS. Has anybody used this and been able to download waypoints? I can't seem to figure out what files it takes or what program I need to use. It came with MapSource software, but I don't know how to get the geocache waypoints from the website to the program. I tried Easy GPS and that didn't work either. Any advice would be appreciated! Mark

EasyGPS should work. Mapsource will also work. With Mapsource you can just open your GPX or LOC file by clicking on FILE, then OPEN. Then you click on TRANSFER, then SEND TO GPS.

With EasyGPS its similar. Click OPEN, then GPS, then SEND WAYPOINTS TO GPS.

If this isn't working, have you installed the Garmin USB drivers on your machine? They were on the CD that should have came with your unit.

I haven't been able to download waypoints either. I have a 60CS. My problem is that my stupid computer doesn't seem to recognize my stupid GPS as a piece of hardware. So I've been going manually, the same as I did the Geko 101 that the 60CS replaced. It doesn't bug me yet, but I'm going to want real maps someday. It might be a problem then.

If the 60 is USB based, the problem could be as simple as your connecting the GPS via a USB hub. After you load the USB driver, try connecting it directly to the computer USB port then turn the unit on.

Mapsource recognizes gpx files. Not sure about loc files (I haven't tried). EasyGPS, under preferences, you can choose your GPS. If the USB connection exists, it will communicate.

Are you connecting via a usb hub? I don't see that you stated one way or the other. So I guess that that means that you are. Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with doing that, that is what usb hubs are made for. It is just that it should not be necessary. Since you are using a usb hub, can we assume that it has been working in the past? I guess that we can assume that since it wouldn't make much sense to try and connect via a usb hub that was not working.....would it? But you really don't need to use a usb hub unless you are trying to connect more usb devices than you have native usb ports. In this you would use a usb hub just like the rest of the world has been doing for the past five or so years. And any way, since you are obviously technically competent enough to have installed and used a usb hub, then you obviously know how to connect usb devices. Ergo, connecting devices to a usb port must not be your problem. You're welcome.

Edited by Team cotati697
Are you connecting via a usb hub? I don't see that you stated one way or the other. So I guess that that means that you are. Of course there is nothing inherently wrong with doing that, that is what usb hubs are made for. It is just that it should not be necessary. Since you are using a usb hub, can we assume that it has been working in the past? I guess that we can assume that since it wouldn't make much sense to try and connect via a usb hub that was not working.....would it? But you really don't need to use a usb hub unless you are trying to connect more usb devices than you have native usb ports. In this you would use a usb hub just like the rest of the world has been doing for the past five or so years. And any way, since you are obviously technically competent enough to have installed and used a usb hub, then you obviously know how to connect usb devices. Ergo, connecting devices to a usb port must not be your problem. You're welcome.

Hmm. Let me guess. You're not a lawyer. Sorry. Little inside lawyer humor. Carleenp will understand, I think.

But you are correct. My problem is not related to actually hooking up in one way or the other to a USB port.

However, before I completely highjack SandMarks's thread let's see if he/she replies back again, speaking to the original question.

Oh, and thank you cotati. I'm sure I'll resolve this problem eventually. In my own computer-hating time. :ph34r:

I have a 60CS and download waypoints all the time. A 60 would work the same.

To get the waypoints from the website to the program, you either have to download them individually or as a group by using pocket queries which are a premium member feature.

Once you have the waypoints on your computer, then Mapsource can transfer them to your 60.

Hope this helps, if not let us know which part is a problem and I am sure we can help.

Team_cotati...thanks for the sarcasm, it really helps :D . The reason I mentioned about a USB hub was that it happened to me when I installed my Garmin 2610. The computer simply would not recognize my 2610 no matter what I did. Finally after I plug the 2610 directly to the computer USB port, no problem. So the in my case the USB hub had everything to do with it. All of us use USB hubs, but not all hub will work with the Garmin units. Since I didn't know what Balboagirl's problem is, I thought I'd mention it just in case.

OK, it looks like we're highjacking away. Here is my problem:

I can connect my GPSr to the computer via the USB port (I don't have a hub) and the unit--that is the Garmin 60--realizes it's plugged in because it says so right on the screen.

The problem is that the computer can never seem to find a (the) driver that it needs to use to interact with the GPS unit. I installed/tried/uninstalled/re-installed, etc. the MapSource program that came with the unit. I even went to the Garmin website and did the same thing with their lastest driver download. My computer, however, keeps searching for that elusive driver. In fact, it is still searching to this day. Long after I have given up, it still is searching for a driver every time I turn it on or restart it. Drives a person mad, it does.

What I really need to do is to try the whole process again on my laptop, which is newer, and relatively clean. There is so much "junk" on that other computer that I often get weird stuff like that happening. Plus, it's Windows 98, which is maddening anyhow.

Another new Garmin GPS 60 owner with download problems.

I'm also using a USB connection, and yes, I loaded the Garmin USB drivers.

My PC recognizes the GPS 60 as being connected. However..

EasyGPS 1.3.7 does not see the GPS 60 as being connected. It keeps looking for the device to be connected to the serial port.

I also tried MapSource, but it will not open ".loc" or ".gpx" files.

How do you get EasyGPS to recognize a USB connection?

Is there better "waypoint download" software out there for the Garmin GPS 60 xx series?

Assuming you know how to get the .loc/.gpx files into EasyGPS. Open up EasyGPS and make sure you have the latest version that supports USB.

Choose File > Preferences. Choose Add GPS .... choose Garmin ..... choose GPSMAP60. Under the Settings tab you can pick Use USB box. This should get you the USB connection that you want.

Initially with any new hardware needing drivers ...ALWAYS install drivers before connecting new hardware.

<_< ImpalaBob