Backcountry Navigator Beta Pocketpc Software

Cool, now make it so that it will download the Coordinates from a PDA to my GPS unit, and I will be a happy camper.

There are NO programs out there that will do that, but, in the meantime, I will play guinea pig and let you know how it works.

Check my E-mail to you for the errors that I got when I tried to run the beta....

Edited by Meravella
Cool, now make it so that it will download the Coordinates from a PDA to my GPS unit, and I will be a happy camper.

There are NO programs out there that will do that, but, in the meantime, I will play guinea pig and let you know how it works.

G7toCE can upload waypoints from PDA to GPS through a serial connection.

I run Pocket PC 2003, therefore that CE program does not work on my PDA, but thank you....

I run Pocket PC 2003, therefore that CE program does not work on my PDA, but thank you....

Pocket PC 2003 is just an implementation of Windows CE. On the G7toCE page, you'll find a version of G7toCE specifically compiled for Pocket PC 2003. See at http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

You're welcome :lol:

They wanted me to come up with a password and give out information to get the download. I'm tired of having accounts I really only need once. I also don't like giving out information that they don't need. Plus once I was on the download page I clicked on the text. It took to to some Harry Potter coin page. That' not really very professional.

The product looks promising. Hopefully they will sell it reasonably when the time comes. The only time they need to know what PDA I have is when I'm having a problem.

What is the cost going to be for the program? What are the costs for the service to download the topo maps?  Does this program give you "arrows" and other direcitonalal data?

Their site doesn't really tell you much about what the program works like and what it looks like. Another reason that I didn't bother wiht the registration process to even download it. If a product looks good I'll risk cluttering up my PDA with it.

I spoke too soon:

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/conten...category/67/41/

Edited by Renegade Knight

They are fuzzy on how it treats maps. In my case I'd like to have maps for All of Southern Idaho, Western Wyoming and Northern Nevada and Utah. That's a lot of maps for a PDA. It makes storage critial and map managment vital.

This was a weak link in another program I just looked at called Outdoor navigtor by Maptech. That and it crashed when I tried to import 400+ waypoints (and had to click "yes import" to each and every one...

Read the software description. Not so fuzzy,IMO. It downloads maps from Terraserver. Topos and aerial photos. Free.

Decent implementation, great concept & buggy as all get out on my iPaq 4700. Not to bad for a beta though.

BTW, no Harry Potter when I downloaded.

I'd love to see this one mature. Craploads of potential, esp. with it hooking into the GPX file for on-map tappable descriptions...

Pocket PC 2003 is just an implementation of Windows CE. On the G7toCE page, you'll find a version of G7toCE specifically compiled for Pocket PC 2003. See at http://www.gpsinformation.org/ronh/

You're welcome :ph34r:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Read the software description. Not so fuzzy,IMO. It downloads maps from Terraserver. Topos and aerial photos. Free.

Decent implementation, great concept & buggy as all get out on my iPaq 4700. Not to bad for a beta though.

BTW, no Harry Potter when I downloaded.

I'd love to see this one mature. Craploads of potential, esp. with it hooking into the GPX file for on-map tappable descriptions...

Mapsource (Garmins map program) can tell you what maps you have on your GPS. It lets you select the areas you need from one area of a city to all of Idaho. It's very easy and easy to see what you have.

That's what I'm talking about when it comes to handeling maps. Outdoor Navigator had you select maps one quad at a time for download. They had a means to selet more but it wasn't easy. Once you had maps you didn't have a master map showing you what you had on your PC and your PDA so you can manage your maps within the limitations of the PDA's memory but still have access to what you need.

That it downloads maps is the easy part to figure out. How it uses them, zooms in on them and organizes them for you to work with is another thing entirely. The outdoor navigator I'm comparing this too works with one quad at a time. When you hit the edge you have to load the next map. It doesn't scroll seamlessly like desktop topo maps would. This one seemed to indicate that it did.

Overall it combines what I'd like to see in a PDA mapping program. Still, I need to see how it manages maps. If it's a PITA it's still not wortht mucking with. I passed on National Geographics Topo for the PDA, it could not handle waypoints. I passed on Outdoor Navigator, it's maps didn't work like I wanted and it made me verify each and every waypoint of a 500 waypoint file. Not user friendly.

I agree there is a lot of potential here. Sooner or later someone is going to get this right. Probably the one that listenes to input from people who would like to buy a map program that meets their needs but can't quite find it.

...BTW, no Harry Potter when I downloaded.

Click on the bold text on the download page.

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/content/view/17/1/

It will take you here:

http://www.zilard.com/store/harry_potter_collectibles/

I agree with the potential and will probably overcome my disdain for giving out info that people don't need. I like the GPX implementation. It would be nice to have an integrated map GPX applicatoin. Though that's a very specific market and I could easily enough stick with GPX Sonar.

Cost for program? Not released yet, but low double digits is expected. Since the beta people can give feedback on what its worth, marketing doesn't want to influence them by naming a price.

Cost for maps/subscription? Good news - FREE. They are public domain maps from Terraserver.

Arrows and navigational aids? Yes. I assume you mean navigating to a waypoint with a GPS. You can activate a waypoint, place, or geocache, and it will show you your bearing and range on the Nav screen. On the map it will draw a line.

GPX import does not prompt you on every waypoint, although we still need to figure out how to handle duplicates.

Renegade Knight, your feedback is valuable. If you prefer to wait until after the beta program, when more of the documentation is worked out and you can skip the signup, that is certainly understandable.

As far as how maps are handled internally, each map is a database. Waypoints are entries in the database, as are the map layers. You can do multiple downloads into one database or into multiple databases. While typically you'd create one database for each place you plan to have an actitivity, thsi isn't the only thing possible.

You've described the use case of a very large area. It should be possible to have a low detail map of a large area, and download more detail for specific areas within it. The present download interface doesn't make that easy, but there are some possible revisions that would.

If you do have more suggestions or bug reports, I'd encourage anyone to make contact through www.backcountrynavigator.com as this forum isn't monitored as often.

You should really try Memory-Map Navigator. It has been around for years (well tested) and is similar to the program mentioned. It is a real bargain at less than $100.

It does much more, however. I can use my PDA with a CF or SDIO GPSr and have full resolution maps in my hand. I can connect a GPSr to my Pocket PC and transfer data. I can use the USGS topos or DOQQs (aerial photos). I can even use Maptech marine charts with it. If you prefer a handheld GPSr, you can use it as a map library. With multi-GB SD cards out there, that is a lot of maps. I have easily loaded over 500 waypoints (plus tracks and routes) without problem.

It comes with the PC version and PDA version bundled together, so I can plan routes, waypoints, etc. on my PC (and view the maps in 3D). Then, send the data to my PDA or GPSr. I can even import GPX files right into the program. I can print my maps out with all of my overlay information (routes, waypoints, text boxes).

I can scan paper maps in and calibrate them (with the built in calibration tool). If I don't want to download the 1500 USGS quad maps for my state, I can get the whole bundle (merged into nice large maps) for less than $100 per state.

Can you tell I love this program? :D