Micro Caches

I believe that at one time I wrote an editorial in Today's Cacher explaining my belief about the explosion of micro caches. My therory was that people were forced to hide micros because all the prime spots were gone. Some one please put egg on my face! :laughing:

Most people that know me also know that I cache very little due to a physical condition. Well lately I've gritted my teeth and got back into the hunt. I'm up to 93 finds and hope to break the 100 milestone this month. Whoo Yhoo!! :laughing:

What I've been finding is that there are a tremendous amount of micros where a traditional, or even a small cache could be placed. I've found my share of micros in urban areas where a traditional cache couldn't be placed, and have enjoyed them. I've also found micros in places that a tradional cache could be placed. I didn't enjoy them quite as much. I now ignore micros that fit in the latter group.

I like traditional caches. I want to be able to trade an item or to leave a item in a cache for others to find. I don't want a tiny rolled up peice of paper were people just date and sign their names. I want to read the logs and see what others experienced finding the cache.

I wonder if some people hide micros because they are more difficult to find, or if they just don't want the expense of hiding a traditional?

Well that's my rant. I have my flame suit on...so fire away. :laughing:

El Diablo

I like micros. I prefer micros. I place them because I like them and yes, because at about $1 each they're much cheaper than ammo can caches. My urban micro hides (I only have a few) each are fairly expensive specialty constructions. My woods micros are mostly matchsafes in camo cloth bags. I also own a bunch of small caches (decon containers). Hide what you like and hunt what you like - but $ is an issue. I have to restock the ammo cans each fall so there is continuing expense in owning them. They'll get pretty cachetrashy by the end of the cache season (winter). I'm currently maintaining 46 active hides, 9 ammo cans & 11 small caches, the rest micros - I'm certainly going to place more, but more micros than ammo cans for sure. Though there's 2 freshly painted cans on the porch at this very moment.....& another camo'd for its special location micro waiting for the rain to stop so I can average some good coords.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
I avoid micro angst threads. I see both sides (or more like all 5- 6 sides, since there are many twists) of the matter. So I will just sit back and read. :laughing:

:laughing:

You avoided this micro angst thread so fast you were First to Respond!

As for the OP I'm not sure what ED's asking or getting at.

OK, so I can't drag my eyes away from the forums....... :laughing:

I'm asking that if you can place a traditional, do so.

I understand the cost involved. I've hidden a dozen traditional caches at a cost of about $20.00 each just to see the contents degrade to less than $1.00 in a month. However that is another topic.

I just hate to see micros where traditional will fit. Micros have their place, but I believe that where a traditional could be placed, it should.

I don't mean to cause angst, just some thought as how and what type caches we place.

El Diablo

I'm asking that if you can place a traditional, do so.

I understand the cost involved. I've hidden a dozen traditional caches at a cost of about $20.00 each just to see the contents degrade to less than $1.00 in a month. However that is another topic.

I just hate to see micros where traditional will fit. Micros have their place, but I believe that where a traditional could be placed, it should.

I don't mean to cause angst, just some thought as how and what type caches we place.

El Diablo

Nothing againist micros here either but larger caches are just nicer to me. I like the idea in this thread - place a larger container if you can. If a micro is all the area will support - so be it. But try something larger with some kind of unique hide - when and where you can. A lot of us will appreciate that.

Thx Diablo

:laughing:

Nothing againist micros here either but larger caches are just nicer to me. I like the idea in this thread - place a larger container if you can. If a micro is all the area will support - so be it. But try something larger with some kind of unique hide - when and where you can. A lot of us will appreciate that.

That's why I wrote this.

Bret

Most of my hides have been in cemeteries lately. I have hid micros ( matchstick tubes) there. I have hidden them there because, in my honest opinion, this is a place to look around and see the history, but someone could be easily caught and a micro of this size can be easily pocketed without getting caught and is an easy in and out for the cacher. I have cached in cemeteries with full size caches (ammo cans) and had close calls with morners at the cemetery. (they weren't there when I showed up)

I agree with El D, about micros where traditional caches can fit, but it seems that in many areas the full sized cache is going the way of the dinosaur.

There is always someone in these threads who says "If you don't like 'em, don't look for 'em". In some areas, if you don't like 'em you'll have to take up golf or knitting because there ain't nuthin' else.

There's a great hider in my area who's hidden many a fun cache. Sometimes, though, he uses containers that are just awful. Leaky Gladware and the like. When you hide many, it must be a consideration. Me, I've only got two hides and I've been so tempted to write and offer to replace some of these with proper containers, but I wasn't sure how to approach it without getting his back up. I haven't dared to do it yet.

I'd have the same temptation with some of the micros you describe. Fortunately, I don't think I've ever found a micro in my area that didn't need to be one.

From a cache I adopted - sentiments I heartily agree with:

A micro-cache in the woods

This is a micro-cache hidden a few miles in to the state forest. It's a micro cache because User's favorite is the journey, not the trading, and this will be a nice journey and hopefully a bit of a challenge to find.

It has a hint, so it's findable - no DNFs so far

I'll admit that because of "micro angst" I own and place more ammo cans than I would without it. But I still prefer the journey and the hunt to the trading - as far as reading logs, that's an online diversion.

I suspect that micros will take over the geocaching world - that we are in a not-too-subtle transition. (I will lament my inability to do much about that for a long time). The "evolutionary process" seems to be happening, and only a very strong and unpopular rule could change that - and it may be very unwise to do so. Either way, geocaching is changing. One is a "natural slide," and the other ........ well, one can only speculate. I think that the "competetive sites" have tended toward a relaxing of rules. It may be that some day there will be a movement of "purists" who tighten up the rules. Such is the way of the world.

This is a micro-cache hidden a few miles in to the state forest. It's a micro cache because User's favorite is the journey, not the trading, and this will be a nice journey and hopefully a bit of a challenge to find.

My favorite is the journey, too. By far.

But if in the middle of the journey I stumble back and forth along the same fifty foot clump of trees for an hour and never find what I'm looking for, it totally harshes my buzz.

:lol: I like looking for all caches but If i'm out in a rural area i would rather look for a larger container, it doesn't have to be an ammo can but i really like to take stuff to trade. Before i leave the cache mobile i look at what type of container it is to see if i need to take my cache-bag. If it says that it is a rx bottle i leave them bag in the jeep. Yes i know you can put small items in those but most of the time in my area they are always soaked and not worth trading anything. It just seems like a waste of a good cache area if it could use a traditional and there is a micro there.

Thats my 2cents

When driving long distances micros can be a great little diversion to help break up the day without having to take to much time with long walks in the woods.

But wouldn't the diversion be at least as good with a full-sized cache, in cases where one is possible? In fact, wouldn't it likely be a quicker stop, since it would probably be easier to find?

You know what? This has been a hot topic in the forums, so I've given it alot of thought. In my opinion, the big difference between micros and regular-sized caches is that the micros tend to be smaller, sometimes alot smaller.

Edited by sbell111
You know what? This has been a hot topic in the forums, so I've given it alot of thought. In my opinion, the big difference between micros and regular-sized caches is that the micros tend to be smaller, sometimes alot smaller.

That's funny.

Ok, how about this, you have a location that could hide an ammo can but finding it would be so easy that it really wouldn't be that much fun. Yes, I could make it a puzzle cache, but what about camouflaging/hiding it in such a way that to ‘be hidden in plain site’ you need a small container. Like inside a fake log. Would that be ok? Or is it still just a micro hidden in the woods?

I guess I am a bit like CarleenP in that I find it hard - nay, impossible, to avoid these threads! It's like watching NASCAR racing - you hope there are no bad wrecks, but if there are you want to see them!

As to the OP:

HooBoy, I like 'em all! I do prefer well-stocked family-friendly traditionals in interesting places, but that preference doesn't guide my geocaching. It does, however, affect my hiding choices!

I had a great eye-opening experience at GeoWoodstock3 last week - I hooked up with four Florida friends who had done limited geocaching and took them on a night-time cache run.

Eventually (inevitably!) the coords led us to the middle of a WalMart parking lot, where these new cachers looked all over, wondering why the coords were in a parking lot. When the light-pole cache was found they thought that was the most innovative and interesting cache they had yet seen! They loved it!

I went on an 18-hour 70+ geocache run to Chattanooga Friday with three local cachers that average ~300 finds each. We found maybe a dozen light-pole caches, two of which I got simply by driving up and rolling down my window!

We had an absolute blast, the laughter never stopped, and we all ended the day with wonderful memories.

It was a real lesson to me that I should not let my fairly experienced eyes forget to view geocaching as a new geocacher does, nor let my opinion of hides affect others!

Have fun,

Ed

Are there any statistics to back up this micro cache trend people are lamenting? I've only been in this for 13 months so I can't see any trend. Around here, if its in town, it's probably a micro and if its in the woods, it's probably an ammo can or a tupperware container. If it's in a cemetary, it could be either. Your experience will be different than mine, depending on where you live. Seems like you need some stats if you are going to complain about micros. :lol: Mee, too.

I think I agree that much has to do with the area in which you are looking. One of the better caches I have done so far is a micro in the woods. On the other hand, my kids don't like micros all that much. I think that is normal.

I have found a compromise within myself. I don't hide micros by themselves. If I plant a multi-cache, then the non-final stages may be micros, but the final is always a container of some type with a few small goodies in it. I don't go overboard on price or value, because to me its not about the stuff.

I haven't found a location yet that absolutely has to have its own traditional cache that doesn't have room for something other than a micro. Like I said, if it has to be a micro I make it a multi stage and put the final somewhere nearby.

I'm sure there are exceptions, and I'm sure those that don't like multis will be up in arms, but that is my personal way of dealing with it.

Kyle

I place them because I like them and yes, because at about $1 each they're much cheaper than ammo can caches . . . Hide what you like and hunt what you like - but $ is an issue.

I've got 5 hides - one event, two regulars, and two micros

I will admit that both micros could have been smalls, one of them could have been a regular, but like IK said, cost is an issue... I'm a high school sophomore (soon to be junior) with no job (yet), and I want to give back to the community. I have recieved many compliments on all of my caches, so people like them, micro or not. One of my micros is a micro so it can be very close to a peace pole with a nice view, without being easily spotted by muggles, and the other micro isn't about the hide as much as the puzzle to get the coordinates. (Very Puzzling, Indeed, if you're interested)

Happy Caching

Jeff

I suspect that micros will take over the geocaching world - that we are in a not-too-subtle transition....

I transitioned right out of hiding micros. It wasn't hard to figure out that about anywhere I could hide a micro I could hide a decon. Then when my family started rebelling about ever going to look for micros (we seldom trade but there is always the high hopes that micros just don't provide) I started to plan family days around regular caches.

Micro's in general seem to have two strikes. They are not clever hides nor do they take you anyplace interesting. Some do and they are the exception that you are glad you found.

I think you are right that we are in a transition but I'm not sure it's one that will lead to a world filled with micros. Especially when all the logs start reading "dang another micro", and then the logs stop and micro's languish because there are just to many other small and larger caches to find. Of course you could also be right.

... I wonder if some people hide micros because they are more difficult to find, or if they just don't want the expense of hiding a traditional?

Dontcha think that there might be a few other reasons?

How about these?

• They like micros better,
  • The cachers in the area like micros better,
  • They are constantly searching for cooler containers,
  • They wanted to show off a specific object or location. Since virts are out, they decided to put a micro there,
  • They like devious hides,
  • They like to make others find devious hides,
  • The places they know are the places they go,
  • They are professional photographers (or oversupplied medicine users) and are concerned about too much plastic in landfills,
  • Ever since they subscribed to OnStar, they don't need magnetic key holders anymore.

Can anyone else think of reasons?

:lol:

Edited by sbell111
I believe that at one time I wrote an editorial in Today's Cacher explaining my belief about the explosion of micro caches. My therory was that people were forced to hide micros because all the prime spots were gone. Some one please put egg on my face! :lol:

<snip>

What I've been finding is that there are a tremendous amount of micros where a traditional, or even a small cache could be placed. I've found my share of micros in urban areas where a traditional cache couldn't be placed, and have enjoyed them. I've also found micros in places that a tradional cache could be placed. I didn't enjoy them quite as much. I now ignore micros that fit in the latter group.

<snip>

I wonder if some people hide micros because they are more difficult to find, or if they just don't want the expense of hiding a traditional?

<snip>

El Diablo

You're right. There isn't one reason for cachers hiding micros where a larger cache would work. There are many reason. I would guess the top two would be money and time.

Another factor is that some geocache hiders don't realize how unobservant the general population is. I found a small tupperware container with no camouflage resting on tree branch in a very popular urban park. I was floored that there was such a large cache in a highly visited area and no one bothered it. It made me rethink what size containers can survive in an urban setting.

This is comnig from a person who has a couple of Micros where regular cache containers could go, BUT the reason I have these micros is because either one A larger cache container would risk the hiding spot and may be found. Two, I enjoy a good micro hunt, I have several micros that I enjoy reading logs when people find them. I dony really care either way, it doesnt matter to me.

Another factor is that some geocache hiders don't realize how unobservant the general population is.

One of my friends just realized that there were BIG blue sand/salt buckets outside of the school the other day when a janitor was dragging them away... They've only been there for about 8 months...

Happy caching

Jeff

I love the "ignore this cache feature" - as I'm sure many others do. I've changed my philosophy from a "let's get rid of all micros" to "I can ignore this cache without it bothering me too much". Maybe others can do the same - and maybe others can do the same for caches that have other attributes that they don't like.

I try to avoid micros, but have realized that's pretty much what is located close to where I live.

I want my sons to be as enthused about geo-caching as I, and sorry to say, one of them just comes to trade.....so micros are a waste of his time. Unfortunately, he has to come with me....so I try to find family friendly cachesso that the journey is tolerable.

Micro's in general seem to have two strikes.  They are not clever hides nor do they take you anyplace interesting.  Some do and they are the exception that you are glad you found.

The same exact thing can be said about ANY cache size, and holds true.

That's mostly true. Larger caches have two things going for them that micros don't. First swag. It's always nice to see what's in the cache. I find a larger container is just more fun to find in general. Since the container is larger I also enjoy the search more. Maybe it's just that there is more probability of success going in. The one place where I don't think they are quite the same is that it does take a bit more work to hide a larger container than a micro. The hides can be basic but I'm more likely to see a cleaver solution to the hide withe the regular container than I am a micro where you can just drop it and it's already hard to find.

Because micros don't have some of what we all like, good change of a find, and swag, they need more thought to into them to be as much fun as as a regular.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I love the "ignore this cache feature" - as I'm sure many others do. I've changed my philosophy from a "let's get rid of all micros" to "I can ignore this cache without it bothering me too much". Maybe others can do the same - and maybe others can do the same for caches that have other attributes that they don't like.

You must have missed Briansnat's post:

There is always someone in these threads who says "If you don't like 'em, don't look for 'em". In some areas, if you don't like 'em you'll have to take up golf or knitting because there ain't nuthin' else.

Yea, it's easy to ignore them. The next thing you know, there aren't any to find because that's all that's being hidden. I recall somebody mentioned that they didn't think there were more micros being hidden - there were more of ALL caches. That may be true, but there is a higher percentage of NEW caches in many areas that are micros. Yea, there are more caches, but you'd probably find all of the older (regular sized) caches and the majority of new caches are ones you don't like.

New people come in, see micros - and they copy what they find.

We had a problem here with people writing short logs because they'd read so many short logs on "average" caches they thought it was poor form to write anything more than a sentence on any cache. People copy what they see. In many areas - it's POORLY hidden micros in BORING areas.

As for the OP - I keep seeing more people come around to beat the same horse I (and many others) learned to stop beating a while back, and instead just slowly stop caching. I hope you don't end up going down the same road we are... (in otherwords, it's a rather depressed "I told you so".)

sd

That's mostly true.

It's completely true. Big caches are just as likely to be hidden in a lame spot, or boring area as micros, in my experience.

Larger caches have two things going for them that micros don't.  First swag.  It's always nice to see what's in the cache. 

Funny, with the number of TNLNSL, entries I see, obviously SWAG isn't the thing, I think the micro haters just mostly want the easy score of a big, hard to hide container. :D

I find a larger container is just more fun to find in general.  Since the container is larger I also enjoy the search more.  Maybe it's just that there is more probability of success going in.  The one place where I don't think they are quite the same is that it does take a bit more work to hide a larger container than a micro.  The hides can be basic but I'm more likely to see a cleaver solution to the hide withe the regular container than I am a micro where you can just drop it and it's already hard to find.

Well, a lot of that varies. Face it, most regular caches are just stuffed under a fallen tree, in a rotted out stump, in a hollow log, or a natural depression covered with a rock. Not very hard. Granted, some area, but certainly not more than the work that goes into the creative hides of some micros.

Because micros don't have some of what we all like, good change of a find, and swag, they need more thought to into them to be as much fun as as a regular.

Again, with all the TNLN logs, it's obviously not about swag, and comes down to "good chance of a find". :lol:

Random thoughts:

20% of our hides have been micros though that % dropped considerably later in our hiding phase. For anyone who hides more than 10 or 20 caches micros become a more important part of the mix due to initial costs.

I would rather people hide a micro rather than not hide a regular cache.

I like micros as a part of our total finds. 20 to 30% is fine and probably even more than that.

On a long lonely highway I would rather there be 20 $1.00 caches than 1 $20.00 cache.

But enough of this because:

CarleneP: I avoid micro angst threads. I see both sides (or more like all 5- 6 sides, since there are many twists) of the matter. So I will just sit back and read.

I also always avoid micro cache topics and never, ever, read or respond to them.

That's mostly true.

It's completely true. Big caches are just as likely to be hidden in a lame spot, or boring area as micros, in my experience.

*snip*

Again, with all the TNLN logs, it's obviously not about swag, and comes down to "good chance of a find". :lol:

I disagree...a large cache is not automatically a good hide, but just given the size, it's harder to stick it in a lame place (no lamp post ammo cans, for example). Again, they could be stuck in a boring place, but you're at least more likely to get a nice nature walk since they tend to be in less populated locations.

I enjoy a challenging micro that uses a clever container or challenges my ideas of where it "could be" even if it reduces my "good chance to find". The problem I have is walking in the woods and saying, hmm, which of these 2 dozen knot-holes might contain a film canister. That's ONLY challenging because you're looking for a needle in the haystack.

A lame hide is a lame hide - no matter the size.

Ponder the ubiquitous light-pole micro, a film can hidden away under the skirt.

Why a film can? Most of the skirts I have seen would hold a 6"x4"x4" or so container, big enough for swag, but I have never seen it done.

What's up with that?

I saw it done yesterday. It warmed my heart. Until then...never before had I seen such a thing.

I say, place what you want to place. If you don't want to search for them, then don't. If you think a traditional should be there instead of a micro, then place it first.

If you want to put limits on micros, then you need to put limits on all the other ones too. Like multi's (i don't like those), ones over a certain distance, ones over a certain difficulty (to include terrain), and etc. I've heard so much on "No more rules" before. Then lets go with that. <snicker>

Yep, pass the pocorn!

Ponder the ubiquitous light-pole micro, a film can hidden away under the skirt.

Why a film can? Most of the skirts I have seen would hold a 6"x4"x4" or so container, big enough for swag, but I have never seen it done.

What's up with that?

Good point. Maybe I'll run out and hide one just for you. And of course, leave the size unlisted, just to have little suprise for those who think it's just another lightpost micro....

Micro or not, I can usually tell if the hider has taken the time to make his hide worthwhile. It could be based on location, or a clever hide technique.

In general, I agree with El Diablo that the container should be as large as possible for the hide location. I don't like rules, but we can certainly make this a "grass-roots" guideline. I don't hate micros, but when I'm in a rush and see a GC waypoing pop up in my GPSr and see that it's a micro, then it's likely I'll drive on and ignore it. (Note: I use GSAK, or Geocaching Swiss Army Knife software to embed container size in the waypoints)

In our area, there's a proliferation of caches that are much smaller than micros - some have nicknamed them "picocaches" or "nanocaches" :lol: Fortunately, the hiders usually post spot-on coordinates (which takes time to do properly) and it's usually in plain sight.

Clever hide techniques makes a world of difference. Everyone hides a good cache, right? :lol: I really don't see why a person should make a cache a certain size, in order to help people find it easier. To me that is what it appears to be. I guess they(cache containers) should be made from certain items as well. They should have certain objects in them too. I think the variance is what makes it all the better.

Micro or not, I can usually tell if the hider has taken the time to make his hide worthwhile. It could be based on location, or a clever hide technique.

Amen to that. Just like this cache that I hid over almost 2 yrs ago,Hide of the Heron. It's been adopted by Anniebananie, because we moved, but from the postings online, it has been well received. I'm very proud of that micro. Could a traditional of been placed there? Of course, but it would of been like any other cache around in that area.

If I have the time, I generally try to read some of the postings on caches. A lot of time I don't, and yes I too get disappointed with some of them. I'm just happy that they are there. I guess you could always keep an eye out on places where micros are and if you see them to start to go in disrepair, then talk to the owner and see if you can adopt it and make it a cache of the size you want.

I avoid micro angst threads. I see both sides (or more like all 5- 6 sides, since there are many twists) of the matter. So I will just sit back and read. :lol:

:D

What about a temporary microcache placed for a Terracaching event in a spot that could support a regular cache? :D

Only if I can log it as a moving virtual.

A couple years ago a new cacher placed a few hides in a nearby town. After I did them she emailed me asking me for my opinion. Well, she asked, right?

One of her hides required a .25 mile walk down a rough, overgrown abandoned railroad trail (tracks removed). When I got there I saw plenty of great spots to hide a full-sized cache but finally found the cache. It was one of those small round Altoid tins.

I wrote her and asked why she didn't place a full-sized cache in such a remote and well-hidden area. Such a cache would not likely be accidentally found and would be very useful for moving travelbugs. Her response was that she just didn't have the money to invest in a full-sized hide.

Last time I checked, a pack of Altoids runs about $2.00. Small Rubbermaid-like containers can be bought for half that at dollar stores. People give away memo pads all the time and you can stock a cache with useless trinkets for next to nothing.

I wonder how often this is the mentality when hiding a micro.

Bret