New Cache Gpx/loc

CompuCash

Used to be that when I created a new cache the gpx was available immediately so I could update GSAK and add my cache notes.

Today I submitted a new cache -

----Original Message-----

From: noreply@geocaching.com [mailto:noreply@geocaching.com]

Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 10:49 AM

To: me@comcast.net

Subject: Cache Report Submitted

================================

now 2 and a half hours later still clicking on the gpx link goes to a blank page

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ae-77a3b4a3bee2

correction - the link goes to the cache page - clicking on the gpx link just clears the cache page - very strange -

and once the page is in that mode you can't get back - you have to link it again from somewhere else - refresh does not work - and pasting the url again does not work.

and the loc file craches GSAK when I try to load it into GSAK.

and looking at the loc file - it is not even for my cache -- what's up with that!?

and is not even complete.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">

<![CDATA[Thanks for Playing by Nice Try]]></name>

<coord lat="0" lon="0"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/</link>

</waypoint></loc>

---------------------------

So - the question to the PsTB - what is up with this? Have you change it? Is it Broken? Or what?

not happy with this change at all -

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
now 2 and a half hours later still clicking on the gpx link goes to a blank page

I have the same problem. Most annoying - now I have to keep my cache notes in a seperate file where they can get lost, rather in the GSAK database. *shrug*

Roolku

Ummm, did you READ that loc file text?

Looks like a security hole got closed.  People trying to find caches before they get published will need to figure out a new method.

I do not understand what you are getting at here - nor your point - nor your explanation given the question I asked.

of course I read it - I copied it here - it made no sense.

one can't get to a cache until it is published - so how can they download the loc/gpx file. We should be able to because we are the owners.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

I have the same problem. Most annoying - now I have to keep my cache notes in a seperate file where they can get lost, rather in the GSAK database. *shrug*

Roolku

I think eventually we will be able to put our notes where they belong in GSAK - something is just wrong right now -

I am hoping we don't have to wait until the cache is published before we can do what we want to.

Really don't want to have to wait for a PQ!

cc\

Thanks for Playing by Nice Try

in otherwords.... nice try on getting early/unapproved cache data

it MY cache what's the problem? the GPX USED to be available immediately.

no one else can get to the page before it is approved so how does this solve any problem? When there was no problem in the first place?

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

if you could figure out the GPX url sequence then you could get data on unapproved caches, probably not too hard to do actually.

as the owner it would be nice to be able to get the data but, i will take the inconvience foc a few hours so that FTF hounds cant get the data.

broken... not really, but still it is good that the hole is filled.

OK - I can't disagree with the principle you describe here, and I guess it could be possible, but when a cache can go several days or even a couple weeks before it is approved, that is a whole lot longer than 'a few hours'.

Like I said and the other posted agreed with - we like to get the GPX into GSAK so we can put our cache notes (which are so easily lost mentally and from the notes taken on site) into the GSAK notes.

From these notes is how I give the hints and directions when seekers ask for help. While it is better now, I have waited over 2 weeks for cache approval. Thoughts, ideas, and even notes are easily forgotten and lost in that time. By the time I finally get a PQ and loaded into GSAK all that can be lost.

I created a simple entry using the (GCxxxx) entry from the cache with the coordinates (about what I'd get from a LOC I guess) so I could enter my notes. I have to hope that when I finally get a PQ that it will fill in all the rest of the information on this cache and I won't have to mess with two entries for the same cache.

I am dismayed that Jeremy has not spoken up here to inform us what has happened and why.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash

Have you ever heard of Word? Notepad? Wordpad? What about just temporarily storing the notes somewhere else until it's listed. And if it's never listed, you can put all the notes you want. Then it's a matter of Cut-and-Paste to get them into GSAK when you finally get the GPX file...

Yes, he has probably heard of tape recorders as well. The fact remains these are just crutches to work around something that was introduced with no apparent benefit and has destroyed an elegant way of doing things in the process. *shrug*

I had just to recreate my cache notes (after approval) for three caches from little snippets and it *was* extra work and it was annoying. Good for you if it doesn't matter to you.

Roolku

I'm sorry that closing an apparent security hole means an inconvenience for you. *shrugs*

Maybe Jeremy could implement a check to see if it's the OWNER of the cache trying to download the GPX file - or someone else.

Edited by Markwell
I'm sorry that closing an apparent security hole means an inconvenience for you. *shrugs*

Appology accepted (I didn't realise it was you who did it).

I am still curious how the fact that someone is able to download data for a non-approved cache constitutes a security risk for the geocaching.com server. I would feel flattered if someone went through the trouble to get the data in advance (not sure how he would know that such data would exist in the first place.). 'Security hole' seems to be a catch-all excuse these days to make life harder for the user.

Maybe Jeremy could implement a check to see if it's the OWNER of the cache trying to download the GPX file - or someone else.

I would appreciate that very much. It seems to work well for the actual cache page or is that another 'security hole' and we soon won't be able to see it either?

Thanks for listening

Roolku

I suspect that part of the problem is that a cache proposal does not turn into an actual geocache until it is approved. GPX downloads of information other than actual geocaches is not a service at the site and the fact that we were once able to do it as soon the first iteration of the page was rendered, does not automatically turn it into an official service.

If it were to be deemed a service that should be available for cache owners at some point in the future, then it would be relatively easy to implement an icon for it on the cachepage design page (to which only the owner has access).