Making Everything Talk

Okay, I'm kind of new to this, I was introduced to it a while back ('03) but LIFE occupied most of my time, so I'm just now starting to put some equipment together and have some issues.

I'm using MapSource 4.09, GSAK 5.5.1, and a borrowed eTrex Legend.

1. I've DL'd waypoints from gc.com into GSAK now how do I get them over to MapSource (or the GPSr)?

2. I also have waypoints loaded in the GPSr, how do I DL those into MapSource or GSAK? In GSAK when I go to 'GPS>Receive Waypoints>Yes' it gives me "Error sending waypoints: GARMIN: Can't init COM3". MapSource seems to read the GPS from COM3 with no problem but I don't see how to load waypoints from GPSr into MapSource at all!

I'm leaving for vacation on Sunday and would love to have this up and running for the trip up as well as doing some caching while in N. Georgia.

Thanks, Randy

1. I've DL'd waypoints from gc.com into GSAK now how do I get them over to MapSource (or the GPSr)?

In Mapsource, click on FILE, then OPEN, the select your GPX or LOC file. It will import them instantly.

To send them to your GPS, click TRANSFER, then SEND TO DEVICE.

To import them from your GPS, click TRANSFER then RECEIVE FROM DEVICE.

Edited by briansnat

Mapsource 409 doesn't read GPX. You will have to use GSAK to make a .mps file and then open that in Mapsource.

If you're getting an error *sending* waypoints when you're trying to receive waypoints, something is very wrong. Please be more specific when you get that error as I don't see it in the GPSBabel source.

Okay, I'm kind of new to this, I was introduced to it a while back ('03) but LIFE occupied most of my time, so I'm just now starting to put some equipment together and have some issues.

I'm using MapSource 4.09, GSAK 5.5.1, and a borrowed eTrex Legend. . . .

Go to the Garmin.com download link and download the update to your Mapsource maps. I think the current version is 6.5.

I also have the older maps and had trouble getting Mapsource to communicate back before I used GSAK for that function. The map updates have helped it communicate directly to and from the GPSr.

I'm using MapSource 4.09, GSAK 5.5.1, and a borrowed eTrex Legend. . . .

Go to the Garmin.com download link and download the update to your Mapsource maps. I think the current version is 6.5.

I also have the older maps and had trouble getting Mapsource to communicate back before I used GSAK for that function. The map updates have helped it communicate directly to and from the GPSr.

I have 5.1.2 and it does support GPX.

in gsak it is easy to send waypoints to your GPS.... there is a GPS menu in the top, 7 to the right of file. go into setup and set it to your manufacture and baud rate. then under GPS menu send waypoints.

the other option you can do is under the file menu you can export a mapsource file so you can see them in your mapping soft. i have found that if I do it this way with my magellan and upload the waypoints from my mapping soft that some of the coords are off slightly.(maybe from the conversion, it was one waypoint out of 40)