Instructions For Adopting A Cache

Thot

That would be fine, except that the first of the two links (the one for consensual transfers) gives incorrect information. It used to be correct but reverted to an older version in an update to the Knowledgebase. Current practice for consensual adoptions is to have the old owner contact Geocaching.com with instructions to transfer GCXXXX to Geocacher ABC, OR for the new owner to send that e-mail, with an authorizing e-mail from the old owner attached. And, those instructions might change, if a new procedure (now in beta testing) is implemented.

Current practice for consensual adoptions is to have the old owner contact Geocaching.com with instructions to transfer GCXXXX to Geocacher ABC, OR for the new owner to send that e-mail, with an authorizing e-mail from the old owner attached.

And, I don't know when the change happened, but the only MIA transfer I know of other than mine was last October -- the person wrote gc.com direct and they did the transfer, so I'm beginning to think the process is just helter skelter.

Make that, "The process may happen in various ways." :laughing:

Edited by Thot
And, those instructions might change, if a new procedure (now in beta testing) is implemented.

Is the new procedure you allude to one that would allow two consenting cachers to transfer ownership without a third party (admin) intervention? I became aware of this possibility from another cacher who had used it and was surprised that it hadn't been mentioned in the forums, considering the number of times this question pops up.

Beta testing would be one explanation for the lack of info on this wonderful (IMO) implementation.

Thot - sometimes the cache owner's MIA status is already known to Groundspeak or is painfully obvious from the record, so that involving the local reviewer is superfluous. But generally the reviewer will act as "surrogate" to make sure that caches aren't adopted out from under an owner who maybe was just not paying attention to a maintenance need, hadn't visited the website due to illness, military service, etc.

gnbrotz - yes, that is the feature to which I was referring. I will defer to Groundspeak as to how and when it might be announced generally.

Thot -  sometimes the cache owner's MIA status is already known to Groundspeak or is painfully obvious from the record, so that involving the local reviewer is superfluous.  But generally the reviewer will act as "surrogate" . . .

Then I guess one could say "The process may happen in various ways." :ph34r::lol::laughing:

Edited by Thot