Used Socks Cache

I was joking around with another geocacher, and they came up with the idea of a used sock cache. People would come, take of a sock, put it in and pull one out. While I think this is really freaking gross, It does raise an interesting question. WHo would go out and find such a thing? Even if you TNLN, would you open it? Would you trade socks? I think it's a hilarious idea, and would like to see it done just to see what happens, a used sock experiment as it were.

Whatcha think?

Domestic Diversions Here is another cache of socks, hidden in an abandoned washing machine.

I actually had an interesting muggle encounter at that cache. It is located almost half a mile from the nearest paved road, in an undeveloped desert area. I invited two other married couples with me, to share geocaching with them. We had the basket of socks on top of the washing machine while we signed the log. At that moment, a desert rat came over a hill in his pick-up truck. The look on his face, seeing us "do laundry" was pricless.

Edited by Kit Fox

Now... if you made that a NEW sock...then you'd be falling in with a new fashion that is on the market now. Unique socks of similiar styles but of different colors or patterns. I've seen this many places and I think they're pretty kewl! I'd seek this one out, perhaps. (Would be a first for me to carry a new sock as swag!!)

Well, my forum namesake is well known for this type of behavior. Every cache he was made in my house consists mostly of socks - clean and dirty. He will take them from the basket before they are folded, the folded pairs, and he will move them from the pile next to the washer. :laughing:

The only thing he seems to like better is a damp washcloth!

I'd probably visit this cache and I'd probably make it a point to find a really odd pair of socks to deposit.

Well, my forum namesake is well known for this type of behavior. Every cache he was made in my house consists mostly of socks - clean and dirty. He will take them from the basket before they are folded, the folded pairs, and he will move them from the pile next to the washer. :laughing:

We have a cat that is exactly the same. If the suggested cache is ever placed we wouldn't need a GPSr to find it, just point Dylan in the general direction. :ph34r:

A clean/new sock one would be neat... As a collector of funky socks (I have 70+ pairs, and yes, I wear them)... I'd be pretty happy to find a pair here or there.

We have placed pairs of little girls' socks in caches...they were cute ones with Princesses on them. Never thought to do adult sized ones. LOL! (The socks were new in a sealed package.)

Edited by souperteam
Everyone wants clean socks! But dirty old socks is the joke, where's the fun in clean socks?

As a side note, I did have to talk her down from a dirty underwear cache...

Yea, she's wierd.

Now, that's a topic for a whole other forum. :P Advertised in the right locations, it'd be a popular cache......how about a 'used Hooters girl outfit" cache instead? :)