Canada Snubbed Again!!!!

murfster

Ok.. maybe it is only me, BUT.. I see a new Jeep TB contest and just like last time it is only for Americans. We buy Jeeps in Canada!!

" 1. ELIGIBILITY: The Jeep 4X4 Geocaching Challenge (“Contest” or “Promotion”) is offered and open only in the 48 contiguous United States or District of Columbia to natural persons age 18 and older who are legal U.S. residents and have a valid driver’s license as of the date of entry."

Does anyone agree this seems unfair???

Murfster

Different country, different laws. It would be nice if they came up with a contest for your neck of the woods though. I hear tell you let us southerners come and fish up there by you; I mean giving you a few Jeep TB's is the least we should be able to do for you in exchange.

" 1. ELIGIBILITY: The Jeep 4X4 Geocaching Challenge (“Contest” or “Promotion”) is offered and open only in the 48 contiguous United States or District of Columbia to natural persons age 18 and older who are legal U.S. residents and have a valid driver’s license as of the date of entry."

Does this mean that test tube babies of legal age are not eligible either? :huh:

Edited by Gorak

Don't feel too bad Murfster... looks like Alaska and Hawaii get the shaft too. It's all about being contiguous I guess. I was contiguous once but a little rest fixed me right up.

What would you want with a white Jeep up there anyway. You'd never find it in all the snow!

-TT-

I've heard rumours that a Jeep or two will be dropped in Point Roberts area caches sometime soon :huh:

If you're Canadian and living in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island ... if you win a Jeep, just let 1/2 Canadian claim it for you (since she's American too.) I'm sure she'll be kind enough to transfer it over to you ... after you pay the taxes. :huh: :huh:

I hear U.S. taxes on prize winnings is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 50% of the value of the item(s) won?

I've heard rumours that a Jeep or two will be dropped in Point Roberts area caches sometime soon  :huh:

If you're Canadian and living in the Lower Mainland or Vancouver Island ... if you win a Jeep, just let 1/2 Canadian claim it for you (since she's American too.) I'm sure she'll be kind enough to transfer it over to you ... after you pay the taxes. :huh: :huh:

The contest is only open to US residents.

I may be American by birth, but I am Canadian by choice :cry:

I may be American by birth, but I am Canadian by choice  :huh:

To clarify.. my beef is not with Americans.. nice neighbors, it is with

1. JEEP for the limit they put on the contest and

2. Groundspeak.. for allowing it. We all play the same game but some players get better pieces.. benchmarks is one they are addressing... all be slowly.

Murfster

PS you can complain by e-mail at jeep@geocaching.com

Edited by murfster

I may be American by birth, but I am Canadian by choice  :huh:

To clarify.. my beef is not with Americans.. nice neighbors, it is with

1. JEEP for the limit they put on the contest and

2. Groundspeak.. for allowing it. We all play the same game but some players get better pieces.. benchmarks is one they are addressing... all be slowly.

Murfster

Let's not forget the Groundspeak maps. Canada just shows up as a vast grey wasteland...

Ok.. maybe it is only me, BUT.. I see a new Jeep TB contest and just like last time it is only for Americans.  We buy Jeeps in Canada!!   

Does anyone agree this seems unfair???

Murfster

I know... Just go down to the US and pick up all the jeep TB's and drop them off in Canadian (or other country) caches. Then unless them yanks come up here for vacation they won't find any jeeps. :huh:

(edit Spelling)

Edited by Circle of Confusion
who cares, it just seems like mud sliging on both sides.

Heck no.. not mud slinging Tadpole.. just a discussion and exchange of views.

One of the great things in both the US and Canada is we can freely discuss our views and I think that is healthy. Maybe.. just maybe someone will listen and there might be a change next year.

If you want to see mud slinging look at some of the other threads! :laughing:

Happy Weekend!! :ph34r:

Murfster

( edit spelling )

Edited by murfster

As you all know, companies do this as a marketing ploy.

The solution to problems like this is to not buy any Jeep products, and also let your dealership know why you're not buying their product. Eventually, their marketing department might get the hint that Canadians are potential customers that need to be catered to as much as Americans.

I did contact Jeep Canada and they responded that the American company is distinct from the Canadian company and that the contest is purely that of the American Jeep Corporation. Since the Canadian Jeep Corporation has jurisdiction, that's why the American Jeep Corporation cannot offer it to us.

This is also an opportunity for any Canadian company who manufactures jeep-like vehicles, or all-terrain vehicles or sporting equipment to jump and fill the void. And make it a Canadians only contest.

Thoughts?

Personally I don't want, nor do I want anyone to own, a 2 level Jeep envirokiller with fully enclosed air conditioned massaging chairs made of rare giraffe tongue skin.

I'm with you, brutha! Bring on the toad licking, tree hugging, whale watching and granola bar eating. Its time to yoga. :laughing:

Personally I don't want, nor do I want anyone to own, a 2 level Jeep envirokiller with fully enclosed air conditioned massaging chairs made of rare giraffe tongue skin.

I like mine....except I got the big baby seal eye headlights option as well

I was at Geo-Woodstock III when the White Jeep contest was launched. It seems that there were a few states that were left out of the last contest (Florida being one of them where GWIII was held). Each of the participants were given a White Jeep TB to circulate and so I know that at least 5 of 'em made it across the border. :P

There will be a few circulating in SW Ontario in the near future.

When I took mine home I had to return it a few days later as the GPS RAM mount that came as an option kept crapping on my passenger side seat, then if I hit the brakes too hard it would would fly off the seat like water off a ducks back and the crap would hit the fan. So what I learned from this is order either the RAM mount or the down filled seats but not both. :P

Does this mean that test tube babies of legal age are not eligible either? :P

nor any of our clones.

i say we gather up the TBs and hold them hostage until they let is play.

i say we gather up the TBs and hold them hostage until they let is play.

HUM.. Not nice..."Jeepnapping!!" :P

At least they count as finds and I was glad to hear some will start out in Canada.

I think the best thing is LOTS of e-mails to Jeep Canada, and Groundspeak to encourage a broader scope on the contest, or a Canadian version.

Murfster

You know, the Americans are lucky that they get to have the perks like Jeep prizes and nice maps and other options on their cache pages.

But they don't get to enjoy caching in any of their National Parks.

Now us on the otherhand, we get to enjoy caching in our Natio... err...

Wait a minute, what was my point again?

I know there was something positive coming....

I...ummm

OOOOooo, SHINY !!!!!

Wait a minute, what was my point again?

I know there was something positive coming....

Your point was that we have twice the land area and only a tenth of the people....

...making the hiding & finding a lot more fun! <_<

(Jeez...we could send a handful of Jeeps up north and no one would ever hear from them again...)

I realize that Bremerton's Cache Machine is the same day, but my money is on the smart car event... we'll be at the needle in Seattle at roughly 1:30 PM on Saturday June 18th...

I was going to start a smart car TB. There is a cache at the needle in Seattle methinks? Maybe it should start there?

Edited by canadazuuk
I was going to start a smart car TB. There is a cache at the needle in Seattle methinks? Maybe it should start there?

Of course, the smart car is small enough to fit into most traditional caches, so you just have to figure out how to attach the TB to it. May loop it through the steering wheel?

There is a 4x4 jeeptravelbug #0605 in nova scotia! Are we still not able to enter the contest even if we get a bug?

NOPE!! That was my point.. there is not much we can do but voice our concerns to Jeep Canada to offer somthing just for Canada.

Murfster

Looks like Puerto Rico gets the shaft too :rolleyes:

You know what the answer is? Quit whining and hold our own dadgum contest! Even bigger and better then the Jeep one!

The question is though, would Quebec get the shaft like in every other Canadian contest?

Being an x-marketing manager for a very large worldwide packaged goods company I'll comment that DC Canada is a seperate entity to DC USA. They'd have different marketing plans and promotions as we did with our US counterpart marketing group and typically the US companies have more marketing dollars to spend. These types of promos are expensive and either DC Canada doesn't know about the promo or more likely they feel it's not the best spend of their budget to deliver the business they need.

That's my reasoning but I still get offended when Canada gets the shaft even though I can reason it. Communications to DC Canada encouraging them to develop the same or similar type of promotion would be a start. I'm an avid Jeeper and as far as I know geocaching is not popular with the crowd though GPS ownership is increasing for trail mapping. Whether a Jeep TB promo would drive cachers to buy Jeep products and therefore make the promo payout, I doubt it unfortunately. Still would be fun to have more Canadian contests.