Slim Pickings....

So I sat down to plan out a loop to drop off some of the new white Jeep TB's and I want to get them out North of me. To hit just 10 caches that I haven't been to before is going to take a 330 mile round trip from home. No wonder I have only 180 finds. See map (red dots are caches I haven't been to within 125 miles of home). Anybody else out there with my problem?? :lol:

cache-trip.gif

A bit thicker if I go south but still be about 300 miles for 14 caches.

Sigh............ :lol:

So I sat down to plan out a loop to drop off some of the new white Jeep TB's and I want to get them out North of me. To hit just 10 caches that I haven't been to before is going to take a 330 mile round trip from home. No wonder I have only 180 finds. See map (red dots are caches I haven't been to within 125 miles of home). Anybody else out there with my problem?? B)

cache-trip.gif

A bit thicker if I go south but still be about 300 miles for 14 caches.

Sigh............ :lol:

Send me a few to drop for you and you won't have to make so many stops. :lol:

I know what you mean StarBrand. Had to head out your direction the other day to get some caches. Went 330 miles on Tuesday. Went west of Sidney south to Julesburg, Co then looped back home. Got 9 caches in that 330 miles. Have got most of the ones in Kearney area (a few left to get there). So I guess will be heading your direction in the next couple weeks for a couple days to do some caching.

Probably be in your area at end of the month. Any suggestions on caches not to miss?

I kept myself busy with caching while I was visiting inlaws in Southeast MO over the holidays. In retrospect, I kept myself busy with driving to caches! They are few and far between to say the least.

Thanks Alamo for the free mileage on the rental!

You mean Nebraska has a beautiful part?!? :lol: I've only seen the I-80 corridor. What a flat, boring drive!

It's only a "flat, boring drive" if you just drive it, and don't leave the interstate. Within miles of I-80 in Nebraska, I've found some amazingly cool geocaches in beautiful natural spots: The muddy waters of the Platte River, where hundreds of thousands of sandhill cranes stop for a long rest on their annual migration. The rugged bluffs along the Missouri River. And many a secluded fishing pond, that only the locals know about -- the locals who hide geocaches there. People like Starbrand. It's quite easy to have a terrific day of geocaching that consists of 20 mile drives in between caches. I've had days where I've collected 20 finds in a high-density area, gotten home, and said to myself, "none of those caches or locations were memorable."

If you have a narrow definition of "beautiful," you'll experience far less of the world's beauty. Geocaching helped me appreciate Nebraska's true beauty.

You mean Nebraska has a beautiful part?!? :lol:  I've only seen the I-80 corridor.  What a flat, boring drive!

It's only a "flat, boring drive" if you just drive it, and don't leave the interstate. Within miles of I-80 in Nebraska, I've found some amazingly cool geocaches in beautiful natural spots: The muddy waters of the Platte River, where hundreds of thousands of sandhill cranes stop for a long rest on their annual migration. The rugged bluffs along the Missouri River. And many a secluded fishing pond, that only the locals know about -- the locals who hide geocaches there. People like Starbrand. It's quite easy to have a terrific day of geocaching that consists of 20 mile drives in between caches. I've had days where I've collected 20 finds in a high-density area, gotten home, and said to myself, "none of those caches or locations were memorable."

If you have a narrow definition of "beautiful," you'll experience far less of the world's beauty. Geocaching helped me appreciate Nebraska's true beauty.

There are some really cool caches in some really beautiful areas here in Nebraska. From rolling hills covered w/ trees, canyons filled with cedar trees, fields full of crops, to the almost desert type area of the panhandle. There is alot to see here besides I-80.

One of the 10 most scenic routes in the United States

I wouldn't complain, since slim pickings are friendly to Pocket Queries! I drove relatively close to where you are, down I-90, then I-25 from Billings, MT to Cheyenne, WY during the Memorial Day weekend. If I had more time, I'd have taken a detour on U.S. 20 or 26, claim a state border locationless, and grab a few Nebraska caches.

Leisurely back country driving is a lot of fun, and having caches along the way, no matter the low density, is an icing on the cake. :huh:

However, if the slim pickings were all Micros.... :huh:

You mean Nebraska has a beautiful part?!? :huh: I've only seen the I-80 corridor. What a flat, boring drive!

There are some excellent areas in Nebraska and it isn't as flat as you would think. In the east, the Missouri River bluffs are forested and quite hilly. The central is typical great plains farmland with some nice lakes if you venture off the interstate and the Platte River area has plenty of scenery. In the West there is the rocky pine ridge, and North has the Niobrara River canyon. My favorite though is the sandhills. On the interstate there is nothing to see, but you don't have to get far off the interstate to get into the rolling sandhills where you can see for miles from the tops of them.

What is interesting is that people will comment that Nebraska has no trees, which can be true in some areas (but not true in others, Nebraska even has a National Forest) . But there is something amazing about being on the top of one of the sandhill bluffs with nothing but big sky in all directions. I suppose some of it is what people are used to. I tend to get claustrophobic in the eastern US where the interstates are one long endless road through a tunnel of trees. I like the big open spaces. But I know people who have visited from wooded regions who didn't care for all the open space.

Anyway, when people say they would move to the ocean or the mountains if they could, I tend to say I would move to a ranch in the sandhills. :huh:

Here in the 'pinky' area of Michigan (that's NW portion of the lower penninsula) we are very fortunate to have lots of cachers and lots of caches to hunt for. But in our beautiful Upper Penninsula, were the people and cachers are few and far between, there are not many caches to hunt. I know that the area around Sault St. Marie is very cache-sparse. And the caches there are nearly all owned by the same guy. If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be much caching done around there! But encourage other cachers in your area to place some, and you will soon have a cache-rich environment. As for boring countryside...it's all in the eye of the beholder! Here in Michigan, we have hills, rivers, lakes, and flat farm land, cities, small towns, bays, and veried wildlife! You just need to know where to go to see what ya' want to see! It's been my experience that if you look long enough, you will find something interesting! Cache on!

Edited by CrafterCat

But how many of those are big enough for the new Jeeps?

Micros... or even Smalls need not apply

Hmm, no micros/ Okay, lets see...

My 60 mile map again:

Cachemap.jpg

..and without micros:

nocachemap.jpg

Wow, I knew it! This place is nothing but micros!

:huh:

Okay, Okay, that is an altered map, and not a true representation, its just what it seems like down here.

Caching hasn't caught on as much in Canada as in the US... I live in a city of 90,000-100,000 people, and here's my map for 75 miles:

cachemap.gif

The upside is that only 8 of the 100 or so caches within 150km are micros.

Oh, and this is off topic, but does anyone know how to get a GPX file with all locationless caches? PQs don't seem to work since you have to either select a country and state/province or give it a location and a distance.

Edited by Tidalflame
I spent some time a while back in the middle of Missouri, and there wasn't a whole lotta caches around, and not much else to do.  Heres the current map, but most of those were not there when I was:

cachemapmo.jpg

Ha! That's funny, I was just there, and I had the opposite problem. There were TOO many caches. OK, I had to cover 600 miles in one day, so that cuts down on the caching. I had two DNFs that day, out of 10 searches.

On edit: Ah, I see, now that I actually read your post the second time through. You were there quite some time ago, before most of these were there.

Edited by Balboagirl

Crawford County has about 20 caches and 18 are mine (this depends somewhat on including a couple which are just a bit outside the county). I think there are 6 in a 12 mile radius which aren't mine. There are NONE which I haven't found closer that 26 miles. At 35 miles I could start finding caches, and at a 55 mile radius there are 100.

The difference here is that Ohio is much more populous, so If I drive 50 to 80 miles in most directions I can do a lot of caching. That being said, I don't like to go into the cities too much for a stack of micros. I'm choosier usually (unless in my family group for an outing).

I'd be bettin' that you have better quality caching out there.

I'm going to NE to visit family next week and thought I'd do some caching while we were there. There are very few in the area where I am headed. I am actually very surprised that there are none in Memphis or Ashland. I've got a few places in mind for some new ones. I'll have to check out the rules for placement there but I might add a few new ones while we are there.

ashlandcaches.jpg

I'm going to NE to visit family next week and thought I'd do some caching while we were there. There are very few in the area where I am headed. I am actually very surprised that there are none in Memphis or Ashland. I've got a few places in mind for some new ones. I'll have to check out the rules for placement there but I might add a few new ones while we are there.

ashlandcaches.jpg

Under the guidelines you can't place a cache very far outside of your normal area unless you get a local person to maintain it. If you have a local to maintain it, state who they are on the cache page and in a reviewer note when you submit it. I say find an Ashland person with a GPS and get them into caching! :laughing: Nebraska also has a bunch of park permit rules. You can see those here.

Ashland doesn't have any caches, but if you venture over to Schramm State Park and Two Rivers State Park, there are some very nice caches in that area. They involve some easy to moderate hiking and have some nice river views. If you want to do urban caches, Omaha and Lincoln have plenty and are a half hour drive away.

There are some really cool caches in some really beautiful areas here in Nebraska. From rolling hills covered w/ trees, canyons filled with cedar trees, fields full of crops, to the almost desert type area of the panhandle. There is alot to see here besides I-80.

No doubt! When we were there in March we purposely left the Interstate between Lincoln and Kearney. Found plenty of caches to keep us busy, too! :laughing:

BTW, here's my state (blue are found, green are unfound)

ColoradoCachesAndFinds.jpg

That big blob in Denver looks better close-up (red are unfound)

Denver.jpg

Under the guidelines you can't place a cache very far outside of your normal area unless you get a local person to maintain it. If you have a local to maintain it, state who they are on the cache page and in a reviewer note when you submit it. I say find an Ashland person with a GPS and get them into caching! :laughing:

Well, you know what luck we'll have with getting our family into Geocaching. :laughing: I don't really know anyone else there that I could get started but I do have a family member that will help maintain it. I'm reviewing the state rules about placing caches and will go through the proper channels to get a permit. While Memphis is not much to look at, it does have some interesting history and I would like to highlight that. Thanks!

(Fred and Matt's sister-in-law in AZ)

Under the guidelines you can't place a cache very far outside of your normal area unless you get a local person to maintain it. If you have a local to maintain it, state who they are on the cache page and in a reviewer note when you submit it. I say find an Ashland person with a GPS and get them into caching! :antenna:

Well, you know what luck we'll have with getting our family into Geocaching. :antenna: I don't really know anyone else there that I could get started but I do have a family member that will help maintain it. I'm reviewing the state rules about placing caches and will go through the proper channels to get a permit. While Memphis is not much to look at, it does have some interesting history and I would like to highlight that. Thanks!

(Fred and Matt's sister-in-law in AZ)

Yeah I do know! :antenna: A friend even gave Fred and Krystal a GPS for their wedding, but they gave it to her Dad to use for boating. For those reading who are definitely in the dark, The Fred souperteam mentioned is one of my best friends from law school and the Matt mentioned in married to another of my best law school friends. I was a bridesmaid in Fred's wedding and Maid of Honor in Matt's. When you randomly meet a cacher with such a connection, who you never knew of before, it illustrates that it is indeed a small world. :laughing:

If you have a person to maintain the cache it will work. That area is also not out of my own maintenance range, so if you don't go nuts and only hide one or two, I would be willing to also maintain for you. BTW, I always thought that there should be an Elvis theme cache in Memphis! :laughing:

I assume you are coming to Nebraska for the family reunion? Fred said he will be here then for that. I will be traveling then unfortunately. Try to drag Fred out caching. I think he would like it and Matt and Rachel have certainly heard it about from me too. I can't seem to get them to go, but it can't hurt to try! :laughing:

Edited by carleenp

No doubt! When we were there in March we purposely left the Interstate between Lincoln and Kearney. Found plenty of caches to keep us busy, too! :laughing:

BTW, here's my state (blue are found, green are unfound)

ColoradoCachesAndFinds.jpg

That big blob in Denver looks better close-up (red are unfound)

Denver.jpg

Looks like you got some work to do smurf guy.

Hoping to be in the Colorado Springs area in the next month or so and get some caches while there.

Hoping to be in the Colorado Springs area in the next month or so and get some caches while there.

If you will be there over the July 4th weekend, you should check out the Sax Man's Campout Event. I can't go this year, but went last year and it was a blast! Fun people, fun times, good food, beer, good caches etc.... Oh! did I mention good caches and beer? :laughing:

Trading 4th weekend for Jeep Distribution weekend at work, so won't make it this year. Dang work just keeps getting in the way of fun. :laughing:

If you will be there over the July 4th weekend, you should check out the Sax Man's Campout Event. I can't go this year, but went last year and it was a blast! Fun people, fun times, good food, beer, good caches etc.... Oh! did I mention good caches and beer? :laughing:

Trading 4th weekend for Jeep Distribution weekend at work, so won't make it this year. Dang work just keeps getting in the way of fun. :laughing:

Work seems to do that. :laughing:

The jeep distribution will be fun too though! Less beer (although I might make a trip to the GI brew Pub) but still fun. :antenna:

2 years ago I made a topic about jumpstarting an area that was void of caches, since my area only had a handful of caches. Since lat year, that has not been the case. Even Northern Michigan has seen an influx of caches from a good number of different cachers. I almost want to cry! :lol: BUT I WON'T SINCE I'M RADMAN!