Coal Tax Posts

For those not in the know, the main info is here.

But I guess that is where bones1 got the OS list from, so I've not added anything to the original request :P

When I was out doing a coal post cache I bumped into someone that I thought was a geocacher, but turned out she was a coal post spotter. She said that there is a local museum somewhere in Potters Bar that has some info on coal posts.

So I guess what we are looking for is an easy way to convert about 200 OS co-ords into lat/lon? Any ideas?

So I guess what we are looking for is an easy way to convert about 200 OS co-ords into lat/lon? Any ideas?

Use the free software called GridInquest. You can feed it a text file of OSGB coordinates and it'll batch convert em to Lat/Long and vice versa.

Splendid!!!

Sorry, Ali, I don't think that you can get another icon for it!

WAH!! Actually, I think it's high time we had a UK icon that was not avialable to those in the USA. When I win the lottery, perhaps I should bribe gc.com for one? Dare I say it, a little trig icon perhaps? :huh:

a little trig icon perhaps?

That'd be nice, and it would please some people :ph34r:

Hehe and annoy some others no doubt!

We'd love it if you could get it set up by September. :D Then we could add that to our list of found icons while we're there.

We figure we're going to have to come back another time anyway to do a REAL visit to London and the rest of the U.K. Maybe you'll have something worked out by then. :laughing:

As far as we're concerned, you SHOULD have some sort of cache type that's unique to the U.K. We can't imagine why anyone would object. :lol:

A major development is underway at Groundspeak and is expected to be announced pretty soon (no I don't know exactly when). As I understand it you will be able to have "Heritage Caches" then. I'm not sure if you'll be able to define new icons but I suspect you will.

A spin off of this development means that "Virtual caches" and locationless ones will be allowed again.

Don't ask for more detail as I don't have it and even if I did I'd be taken out and shot for divulging it :P:)