garmin 45xl

73westy

I have a Garmin 45 XL which I used on my first cache hunt today. The unit is 5 yrs. old. I seemed to have trouble with tree canopy and the speed of the unit to compute my actions. Is the unit the problem or am I too impatient? A thunder storm rolled in and I lost the signal completely. I intend to go out again in a few days and try again. I appreciate any words of wisdom.

70vw

I also have a Garmin 45xl, and a Garmin 12, and a Garmin 76map. Yes, by all means, UPGRADE! You'll notice a huge difference. Basically, as I understand the older unit, it handles just ONE satelite at a time. It cannot handle cover at all. They use to be the best there was. Now the worst is much better. Time to switch.

2573_200.jpg

I completely agree ... I owned a 45 in a past life as well ... you'll be amazed a the difference by even upgrading to an etrex (yellow) ... 12 channel parallel receiver will make you wonder why you tolerated the older 8 channel unit. Satellite lock time alone will win you over! Then you'll have this niffty Garmin 45 paperweight to use in your home office icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

I completely agree ... I owned a 45 in a past life as well ... you'll be amazed a the difference by even upgrading to an etrex (yellow) ... 12 channel parallel receiver will make you wonder why you tolerated the older 8 channel unit. Satellite lock time alone will win you over! Then you'll have this niffty Garmin 45 paperweight to use in your home office icon_biggrin.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

If the past life was the 45 era then having had come from several past lifes before that the 45 was ahead of its time and one reason why it probably hung on/in for much longer than anybody might have expected (or some might have wanted icon_eek.gif ).

However the difference in the lock on times was something I never really could see much of an issue with, especially when one considers that to update/download a complete almanac from scratch takes about 12.5 minues.

Now for a unit (any unit) after being switched off for some period of time to start navigating in around 30 seconds could be a bit of a worry if it's using "past" information and not "current" information (that takes time to download). Many things could have changed in that switched off period be it several weeks or even 24 hours?

Anyway back to some lock on times, which by the way were done pre-sa (I know a past life just gone)

Warm Start average (24 hours Off to Lock)

GPS45XL : 44 seconds

GPS48 : 16 seconds

Difference 28 seconds

Hot start average (Sats locked, switched Off then On)

GPS45XL : 20 seconds, 23 seconds

GPS48 : 11 seconds, 14 seconds

Bugga all between them really so what a few seconds anyway.

The predecessor to the 45XL (45) was on average a little slower at a warm start at around 106 seconds but certainly gave nothing away to the 45XL or 12 channel 48 for a hot start.

Just some thoughts from the past.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

If the past life was the 45 era then having had come from several past lifes before that the 45 was ahead of its time and one reason why it probably hung on/in for much longer than anybody might have expected (or some might have wanted icon_eek.gif ).

However the difference in the lock on times was something I never really could see much of an issue with, especially when one considers that to update/download a complete almanac from scratch takes about 12.5 minues.

Now for a unit (any unit) after being switched off for some period of time to start navigating in around 30 seconds could be a bit of a worry if it's using "past" information and not "current" information (that takes time to download). Many things could have changed in that switched off period be it several weeks or even 24 hours?

Anyway back to some lock on times, which by the way were done pre-sa (I know a past life just gone)

Warm Start average (24 hours Off to Lock)

GPS45XL : 44 seconds

GPS48 : 16 seconds

Difference 28 seconds

Hot start average (Sats locked, switched Off then On)

GPS45XL : 20 seconds, 23 seconds

GPS48 : 11 seconds, 14 seconds

Bugga all between them really so what a few seconds anyway.

The predecessor to the 45XL (45) was on average a little slower at a warm start at around 106 seconds but certainly gave nothing away to the 45XL or 12 channel 48 for a hot start.

Just some thoughts from the past.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif