Handicapped

rellekhunter

I am new to the sport and have a friend who is handicapped.

Are there designated caches that are designated accessible to the hanicapped, or wheelchair, ridden participant? If so, how can I find out about them?

We live in central Florida?

Edited by rellekhunter

Handicaching is a wonderful website. Just a plug for that one... I've used it to include additional information for two of my caches.

You could also watch out for the "wheelchair accessible" attribute on cache listings. Attributes are a new feature for cache pages, and not quite widely used in my little corner of the caching world, but there are some cache owners who are conscientious and considerate enough to utilize them.

True, many "1" ratings do not necessarily mean wheelchair accessible, and they are supposed to. However, with some searching you can find caches that are placed specifically to be accessible by all cachers.

Two of my caches were designed specifically to accomodate all cachers. I found it quite humorous when one of the early finders stated "found it, kind of an unusual choice for placement, I guess... TFTC." Right-o, the "unusual choice for placement" has to do with the fact that I emplaced the cache for easy access for all cachers...

Edited by Jeep_Dog
A cache with a 1 star terrain rating is supposed to be handicap accessable. In practice they often aren't.

Also check www.handicaching.com

hey! I just wanted to say thank you, brainsnat for your thoughtful and considerate posts! I really appreciate the way you seem to be considerate of others and helpful with your responses to peoples' questions! Go! Go! Go!

I would think so. Chances are the person in the wheelchair has someone with them that can reach over and pick up the cache, if they can not lean over to do it.

Gabwp

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The attribute says, "wheelchair accessible" and not "person in wheelchair accessible". I just didn't want to put that attribute on my cache and have a person in a wheelchair go for it then enter a complaint it can't be reached. On the other hand if there are wheelchair cachers in the area I wouldn't want to keep them away by not using the attribute. I could have posted a note stating the cache is on the ground but that would give out a clue I wouldn't want to do on this cache.