Ipaq For Gps, Mapping, Routing

I picked up the Microsoft Streets and Trips w/ GPS receiver a few months ago. I recently picked up an HP IPaq rx3115 for various uses but figured I would like to use it as a GPS, for maps and for routing as well.

I installed the pocket version of MS Streets and Trips but it does not support routing.

If someone else is using their Palm Pilot or Pocket PC to do similar functions can you let me know what software your are using or how you set it up to do the above functions.

I've seen some commercial programs available for mapping and routing but I'm really not looking to throw another $100+ dollars into it. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

You want free routing programs? I'm not aware of any.

Routing solutions for the GPS include Garmin's CF GPS add in.

& Mapopolis. To name two. Mapopolis would be cheaper but I'm not sure how much cheaper.

Thanks.

I also wanted to add that I am using GSAK and GPXSonar(? I believe this is what I am using on the PPC)

Dave

PocketStreets will work with a GPS, and in fact I used it this morning to evaluate alternative routes around a 4-car pile-up. But, as you said, it doesn't do routing.

Here's a cheap work-around that I've used when planning a cache run. First, I use the desktop software (MSST) to plan the route. I make each cache a stop, and then print the whole thing to a file. I use Repligo since it create nice, small, iPAQ friendly files. But if you don't have Repligo you can use PDF instead. Free tools can be found on the web and the Acrobat Reader for PPC is free from Adobe. But look into Repligo while you're at it -- it's not very expensive and very popular with PPC owners.

If you want voice-prompting, it's gonna cost. If you want automatic re-routing, it's gonna cost. Those features are just too high-end to get for free. I have iNAV's iGuidance and love it, but it wasn't cheap. There are cheaper alternatives and I'm sure someone will chime in with a recommendation. :)

I''ve been using an iPaq/Bluetooth GPS exclusively for caching since last Oct. Mapopolis has been my best friend for routing. It makes it so easy to navigate between caches. Over Memorial weekend we used it extensively to navigate between caches in a large State Forest area. I'm always amazed at the amount of "roads" Mapopolis shows. So many two tracks, so little time. Reroutes almost instantly. Voice prompts are fun and you really don't even need to watch the map all that closely.

There's a bunch of other routing programs out there-TomTom comes to mind. GPSpassion.com is one nice site for reviews and forums in regards too.

For actual cache nav (if youy're so inclined), either Navio or Beeline are my favs. Beeline seems to be the most stable with some nice features esp. as it was made specifcally with Geocaching in mind. I've tried all the rest as well. GPS Tuner, etc.

One of these days I'll get my map CD for Memory Map ordered. Topos! Tried/own the Delorme product. Buggy. Buggy. Buggy.

Franson's GPS Gate for sharing the signal with multiple apps. Nice. Couldn't live with out.

Finally, ya gots to have GPXSonar. Handy. Easy to use. Do your log notes in it. Waypoint projection. I tried the GSAK html files. Too much waiting for them to copy on to the card time for me.

Fun way to Geocache. When it all works correctly, it's incredible. When it goes wiggy.... :P Wouldn't change back though.

BTW, before the naysayers arrive, get an Aquapac. Keep it hung around you neck like a giant geo-geek's bling-bling. Ya have to fall on your face to break it.

oneeyesquare is right about Mapopolis- I use it all the time for autonavigation even when i'm not caching. It runs about 80-100 for the program. You can try it for free for 9 days. mapopolis.com

One neat feature is with gpstomaplet you can place all the cache icons as an overlay to the mapopolis street maps so you can navigate from cache to cache and see what caches are around as you drive.

Edited by Alan2

Wow, excellent information, I've tested out a few programs but will check into your suggestions when I get a chance (this weekend I hope)

Alan2, I haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Hope all is well.

Dave

PS: keep the information flowing, I'm listening :-)

Edited by GPS_DAVE_11735
BTW, before the naysayers arrive, get an Aquapac. Keep it hung around you neck like a giant geo-geek's bling-bling. Ya have to fall on your face to break it.

More affordable alternatives are also available, such as DryPak, which can be found at Wal-Mart.com or a local boating store. If you want something hard-case, then Pelican Boxes are a more affordable version of the Otter Boxes.

Wow, excellent information, I've tested out a few programs but will check into your suggestions when I get a chance (this weekend I hope)

Alan2, I haven't seen you around these parts in a while. Hope all is well.

Dave

PS: keep the information flowing, I'm listening :-)

Yes everything's well. Thanks for asking. :huh:

Thanks to everyone who assisted with this topic. Although I still have a few things to work out in regards to setting everything up the way I want it, seperately everything is working fine.

I went with Mapopolis and while going from the south shore to the north shore (long island) it gave me good directions. Of course I decided to go a different way than it automatically routed me... it ended up re-routing me which is one of the things I was looking for.

I went with it due to ease of use. I did pick up a great deal of information from everyone and am considering other products to try out here and there, for now its Mapopolis.

Thanks Again!

Dave

Dave: Now that you have Mapopolis, try gpxtomaplet. It overlays icons onto the Mapopolis maps for all the caches from the gpx file you created for gpxsonar. You can then auto-route from cache to cache or watch the caches in the vicinity of the street and roads you are driving on. Good luck.