European Long & Lat

HockeyChik, my daughter, is going to Europe, and I have the addresses of the hotels she will be staying. How can I get the longitude and latitude of the hotels, in order to narrow the search for caches? I tried Mapquest, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Is there a way to do this on another site?

She's going to France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy. It would be awesomely cool for her to get at least a couple of caches there! I wanna go...

HockeyChik, my daughter, is going to Europe, and I have the addresses of the hotels she will be staying. How can I get the longitude and latitude of the hotels, in order to narrow the search for caches? I tried Mapquest, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it. Is there a way to do this on another site?

She's going to France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy. It would be awesomely cool for her to get at least a couple of caches there! I wanna go...

Maporama

Enter an address, and the lat/long will appear at the bottom of the left column on the screen. :)

Enter an address, and the lat/long will appear at the bottom of the left column on the screen.

thank you so much!! :) (this is the daughter, btw) that worked perfectly! i cant wait to get over the france and get some caches! thanks again! :D

I guess the easiest would be to get the coordinate from the GPS upon arrival at the hotel, and then use the internet pc in the hotel lobby to search GC.com for nearby caches.

FYI: if you are looking for what we in the USofA call an internet cafe, in Europe. Look for INTERNET POINT signs. I've seen, written in english, internet point signs in Italy and Germany. When I was in Paris I found an internet point but there wasn't any english internet point signs that I could find.

If your daughter will be traveling through the Alsace region of France, I highly recommend sTeamTraen's caches. You can find them by searching caches near this one Château d'Eau de Traenheim . :P

Well gosh thanks Dwayne :P

I was about to reply to this topic anyway, on a separate point: don't assume that every hotel in Europe has an Internet PC in the lobby. There'll probably be an Internet café in town somewhere, though.

[Mom talking now]

Thanks for all the good info. HockeyChik is going with a group, and I'm not sure how much free time she'll have, but I'm going to enter waypoints for her near her hotels, and if she gets the chance, I hope she goes caching. The leaders know about it, so if might be interesting. And at least she'll have a GPSr, so the lost-factor should be nil.

Maybe...

Thanks again...cachers always come through!

Double check the format on those coordinates. Remember that N 51° 31.214 is NOT the same as 51.31214° or 51° 31' 21.4"

The first is Degrees with decimal minutes (the standard that Geocaching.com uses). The second is decimal degrees and the third is Degrees, Minutes and Decimal seconds. Maporama doesn't use the same format as Geocaching.com - it uses the other two.

If you're ever in doubt, plug your coordinates into Geocalc and it will convert them to the correct format for you.

That may be why when she entered the coords nothing came up. I just thought it was because she enter 'W' and not 'E'. At least I think Europe should be East, because it's east of Greenwich...

Now I'll try the converter.

Thanks.

Edited by salpal