Tb Not Logged?

cinnamongirl

I just picked up a TB today at a different cache than the one last logged about a week ago. I've already logged the cache, but I'm wondering if I should wait a couple of days to log the TB. Perhaps the cacher that placed it hasn't had an opportunity to log yet. There's also no log at the old cache that would correspond. The last person to have logged the find was the one that placed it in the old cache.

The one I visited was an easy cache and it gets lots of traffic.

What should I do?

I just picked up a TB today at a different cache than the one last logged about a week ago. I've already logged the cache, but I'm wondering if I should wait a couple of days to log the TB. Perhaps the cacher that placed it hasn't had an opportunity to log yet. There's also no log at the old cache that would correspond. The last person to have logged the find was the one that placed it in the old cache.

The one I visited was an easy cache and it gets lots of traffic.

What should I do?

A great idea. give it some time to catch up. If after a week its still not logged Grab it from the last person to have it and drop it in a cache.

Ditto what LaPaglia suggests. Some additional thoughts:

If you remember the name that the cacher who dropped off the TB used when they signed the logbook, you could try looking it up here on Geocaching.com. (If you go to your 'My Account' page, there's a 'Find another player' link that can do simple searches. If you find a match, it'll bring up the page for emailing the cacher. Not that you're necessarily going to be emailing them yet - main thing is that there's a link on that page you can use to bring up the other cacher's profile.) If you can locate their profile page, you might get some clues about how long you want to wait. For example, you could look at the caches they've logged on their 'User Stats' page - if most of their finds are in another state (or even another country!), then they might currently be caching while on vacation. If you saw something like that, then it's quite reasonable to wait a week or two since they might not have Internet access until they get home again.

Also, if you can find their profile page, you can take a look at their TB history. If they've moved lots of bugs around before, and you peek at some of their TB log entries and see that they normally do a good job logging the bugs in and out of caches, then that'd be a good sign that they'll update the TB's logs as soon as they have a chance.

On the other hand, if you find their profile page and notice that the cacher happens to be a bit ...ummmm... erratic :) about logging the TBs they've moved, then you might try sending them a short, polite email (using the 'Send message' link on their profile page) - just let them know that you've picked up the bug and you didn't want to move it along until they've had the opportunity to add their own logs for it. An upbeat, gentle :D nudge might be all it takes to get the other cacher moving.

You could take a similar email/nudge approach if the other cacher's profile seems to indicate that they're just starting out - they might not figured out yet that TBs are supposed to be logged when moved.

Related thought: If you decide it's worth waiting a while for the other cacher and you still want to have some fun with the TB, you can alway let it tag along with you on a caching trip, even if you're not going to drop it off. Since Cowan Lake Monster likes lakes, if you were going to be caching near a scenic lake/pond, you could bring it along, take a picture of it by the shore, and just post a note on the TB's page so you can upload the photo. Maybe something along the lines of "Found Cowan at cache GCxxxx. He hasn't been logged in there yet, so while he's resting up I brought him along to Lake Whatchamacallit so he could scare the tourists." You get to enjoy a little TB silliness, and the TB's owner gets to see a photo of their traveler (and also gets to know that it's safely in someone's hands).