Cache Rating

I've just been through rating most of the caches I have found. It's really clever! Just list the caches using the GeocacheUk list by clicking on the star rating you wish you award to that cache and the system stored it and averages it for all who have voted for the cache.

Ace, and very easy to use too!

[ link ]

Also if you go to My Stats at the bottom there is a list of the caches you have not marked. Newest at the top.

Here are your most recent un-rated finds. Please consider rating these caches according to enjoyment factor. Hover over the cache name for a quick reminder
Edited by Deego
Also if you go to My Stats at the bottom there is a list of the caches you have not marked. Newest at the top.

Here are your most recent un-rated finds. Please consider rating these caches according to enjoyment factor. Hover over the cache name for a quick reminder

That's brill! especially the "hover the mouse" feature which shows your log :)

Well impressed!

Any chance you can alter it slightly so that you log stays in view until you move the mouse pointer off the link? If your log is more than a few words long (or you're a slow reader :) ) the log disappears before you've finished reading it :)

There is a count on the main Stats page

04/06/05 - Added cache ratings. Please consider rating caches that you have found, using either the cache lists or your MyStats page. Many thanks to the 93 cachers who have already entered 6579 ratings, covering 3941 caches!

I am sure more stats will be arriving soon :)

As this was only started over the weekend, I am sure more stats will be introduced over the coming weeks. Once Ian and Barry work their PHP magic :) In fact I Have just started to learn PHP so watch out for the whole database collapsing shortly :D

Don't forget that one man's meat and all that though. I wouldn't discount low scoring caches just like that.

Ratings can be a dangerous game I think. A must is the number of votes as I mentioned above, one of mine has got (what I think is) a low average not reflected in the feedback in the logs - but it might be just be one or two votes so far...

Maybe ratings should only be shown where at least 10 votes have been cast.

Don't forget that one man's meat and all that though. I wouldn't discount low scoring caches just like that.

Ratings can be a dangerous game I think. A must is the number of votes as I mentioned above, one of mine has got (what I think is) a low average not reflected in the feedback in the logs - but it might be just be one or two votes so far...

Maybe ratings should only be shown where at least 10 votes have been cast.

Voting on anything is tricky, But at least the option is there. It will get more accurate as more votes are cast.

It does say on the table how many votes have been cast for each, but only 781 caches have recived 3 or more votes

Nice work, just spotted this and rated all my 600+ finds, really did only take 10 mins! Is there a way to see how your own caches have been rated by others, I'd love to know what my hides have scored with their visitors.

I'll certainly be adding something to the cacherstats page to say what's the overall average score you gave to others, and the overall average score given to your caches.

I'm less happy about listing exactly who gave what scores to which caches. I'm not actually considering this data secret as such (so don't rely on people not being able to find out how you voted!), but I do feel that a bit of privacy is likely to make people a little more honest.

Though if the community favour a "full disclosure" approach, I'm happy to change my mind...?

a low average not reflected in the feedback in the logs - but it might be just be one or two votes so far [snip] Would be better to know how many had voted maybe.

The system uses a "Baysian" average, so that a single person giving top marks (or bottom marks) to a cache won't immediately shove it to the top or bottom of the ranking. Once we've got lots of votes in the system, unrated caches will all start off around average, and will slowly drift up or down the rankings as they collect votes.

But you're right that it'd be useful to see more information on the scores received - I'll see what I can do...

Can't seem to be able to vote zero either

While I have no problem with less-good caches being identified as such, the basic premis of the system is still one of "all caches are worthy, but some are more worthy than others". So even half a star should be considered as a small "thank you" to the person who placed the cache.

Giving a cache zero marks would suggest that it has absolutely no redeeming features and has no value whatsoever (not even for getting you out of the house and letting you notch up another find). If that is indeed the case, then I'd suggest that posting a "should be archived" log is more appropriate!

Any chance you can alter it slightly so that you log stays in view until you move the mouse pointer off the link? If your log is more than a few words long (or you're a slow reader  :huh: ) the log disappears before you've finished reading it  :huh:

Not sure that's possible :huh: I've just used html to set the "tooltip" - it's up to the browser how to display it.

In Internet Explorer, once the box has appeared, you can stop it from disappearing by continually moving your mouse from side to side over the link. Firefox seems to truncate the tooltip (boo, hiss!) and I've not found a workaround to keep it on the screen. Opera is my favorite browser and works fine.

Any chance you can alter it slightly so that you log stays in view until you move the mouse pointer off the link? If your log is more than a few words long (or you're a slow reader  :huh: ) the log disappears before you've finished reading it  :huh:

Not sure that's possible :huh: I've just used html to set the "tooltip" - it's up to the browser how to display it.

In Internet Explorer, once the box has appeared, you can stop it from disappearing by continually moving your mouse from side to side over the link. Firefox seems to truncate the tooltip (boo, hiss!) and I've not found a workaround to keep it on the screen. Opera is my favorite browser and works fine.

You could do it in Javascript. I used a small snippet of JS to do just this on a website I was developing. Look for JavaScript popup scripts on Google.

My suggestion for voting zero was me being a teensy bit sarcastic :cry: