Hiking gear

Guest Robereno

Guest Robereno

I realize this isn?t a backpacking forum however I have a ?Gear? question that doesn?t directly involve geocaching. Just wondered if anyone has tried out one of those water bag thingy?s (usually they have the pretentious name of ?hydration system?.) I?m normally skeptical of anything that smacks of faddish, trendyness but recently I?ve seen a lot of hikers using them and I?ve been tempted.

While we?re at it, can anyone recommend a good camping, hiking forum? Something along the lines of this forum would be nice. icon_smile.gif

Guest Gliderguy

I have used several different ones for hiking, biking, and geocaching. there are a few that are really like small backpacks. The one I am using now is a Blackburn Mississippi. It is big enough to carry a geocache to stash, plus anything else you might want for a few hours in the woods. It is built like a high quality backpack, with a WIDE belt and shoulder straps. There is a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps from creeping back. It even has a mesh suspension system to keep the pack from riding directly on your back. This provides airflow and minimises sweating. The Mississippi has been discontinued, it was around $100 but now you might be able to find it for $60 or so on a closeout special.

I put regular camelback hoses and bite valves on the blackburn bladders - strictly personal preference. The new Camelback valves are ingeneously simple and they dont leak. the Mississippi actually can carry TWO 100 oz bladders (AND a geocache the size of a shoebox!), When you live in the desert you really cant carry too much water with you.

Camelback makes a couple big enough for this kind of stuff, but they are more expensive than this particular Blackburn for the equivilant quality.

My wife has a Camelback MULE that she likes, it doesn't have a really big main compartment like mine, but it has many little pockets for carrying lots of things. The MULE has one 100 oz bladder...

The best advice I can give is get one with decent shoulder straps and at least some kind of belt strap. The ones with 1/2 inch wide nylon shoulder straps and no belt will be really annoying to your shoulders within the first hour of putting it on (the first basic bladder only blackburn I had was like this).

My wife and I spent all day recently at Bandelier National Monument hiking with the Mississippi and Mule. After covering more than 10 miles of terrain we were both still quite comfortable pac-wise.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 18 August 2001).]

Guest gnbrotz

I too use a camelbak and I LOVE it! Mine does not have any extra storage, just a pouch for the bladder. It is a 70 oz. I also use a daypack (around the waist) for geocaching and it has two water bottles if I need to carry more than the camelbak. Check ebay or other auction sites for used or discount models at a reduced price. I even take mine to concerts, ballgames, etc. Anywhere I will be in the hot sun for several hours, it goes with me!

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

yep. I have several bladders that I use, usually because I go out of town and forget the things adn have to buy another.. I keep them in the freezer when not in use so the bacteria doesn't invade.. I also place a full baldder in the top of my backpack and let the hose hang down.. I have 2 of the old original basic CamelBaks (70 ounce) and also use a CamelBak HAWG with 100 ounces or double that for long days.Also if you have dawgs, they will learn to drink from them also. Just a squirt in the mouth will do it. I have tried the Blackburn stuff and in my opinion they are not the same quality as the CamelBak brand. I am also thinking of purchasing another of the basic units to replace my aging and torn ones..

Guest Gliderguy

zilla, I mostly agree with you, but I was impressed with the Blackburn Mississippi. (even if I did put camelback valves on it!) I agree that other Blackburn stuff isnt quite up to what Camelback is making nowadays.

I still dont know whether I prefer Camelback or Blackburn bladders though. Both have about equal merits.

Guest Robereno

OK, looks like I?ve got some homework to do. I didn?t realize there were so many different kinds. I?ll be looking for something that I can put inside my backpack rather than a combination daypack type of thing. I?ll be carrying a large pack for a 10-day trip and I really hate to de-pack every time I want a sip of water. I haven?t come up with a comfortable way to mount a water bottle while carrying all my other ?attachments? and this system may be what I?m looking for.

Any problems keeping them clean? Does drinking out of the same straw for 10 days get a little funky?

Not sure what a bite valve is. I guess it?s the hose end or mouthpiece that controls the flow of water?

Time for the really stupid question. You suck the water out right? LOL! I mean if it used gravity feed I?d have to carry it over my head. (That?s what I?m doing with my GPS to get it closer to the satellites) icon_wink.gif

Guest k2dave

to answer your question yes you suck... um the water out.

I had the 70 oz camelbak but gave it to my wife and got the 100oz camelbak unbottle - the unbottle is a camelbak bladder w/ an insulated pouch to help the water stay cool. The pouch has no straps but some plastic d-rings to be cliped onto a pack if needed - it is mainly suppose to go inside another backpack to turn it into a 'hydration' pack.

I think they are great since you actually drink more since you can drink while hiking (you don't have to think about it - it's really that easy)

If you do get one - look for the omega fill 'port?' it makes it much easier to fill the thing. Also try to get the shutoff valve - I had the misfortune of finding an empty camelback and a pack filled with soggy clothes at the trailhead because the bite valve got depressed during transit.

btw the unbottle was only about $35 - which is close to what they sell the 100oz bladder alone (IIRC)

Guest navdog

Just a thought on hydration to pass along.

Before I leave the rig to head out on a hike, I always try to drink a pint or two of water so I will be well hydrated to start with. This way I need less water further on down the trail.

Guest Elwood

camelbak's are the best thing since sliced bread imho, i loved my first one so much i got one that i use at work now, i work in a very hot enviroment, and i dont know how i ever survived without it.

Guest tedoca

I use the Camelback "Hawg" model. (100 oz. I think) and I love it. I filled it with ice and water one day last week and it actually stayed cold for ten + hours on one of the hottest days yet here this summer.

Guest Robereno

Looks like the Camelback brand is really getting the nod here. Since I?m leaving too soon to order by mail, I?ll be looking at my local stores.

In San Diego that means REI or Adventure 16. Hope they carry it.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

Just wondered if anyone has tried out one of those water bag thingy?s (usually they have the pretentious name of ?hydration system?.)

Dumb question alert: What if you need to carry other supplies like food, clothes, tent, etc. How do you carry water and a full pack? I read above that there are some bladders that go into a pack, but what is the main use for all the Camelbacks and related devices?

Thanks...

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon

A bike shop in town sells camelback bladders and replacement mouthpieces. I have 2 of the 100 oz models that I just keep in my normal back (whether it be a daypack or a backpacking rig). This arrangement works well for me, since I never found an integrated system that was comfortable and under $100. I just won't pay that kind of money for a over-glorified water bottle. They are great though if you have the money. It is very true that they make you drink more water since it is right there.

If you decide not to go with a bladder system, I can highley reccommend the Nalgene Lexan widemouth water bottles. The are practically indestructable and have gradutated markings on the side that can really help when you need to measure out a certain amount of something for a trailside recipe. I always carry at least one with me while backpacking just for that reason. You can find them at about any good hiking / climbing store. They hold 32 oz. and are around $8 a piece.

Guest jjderoy1

since i have a newbie to this hobby/sport i need to get some equipment .. my problem is my size .. i am 6'3 plus .. 60 inch shoulders .. 56 inch chest .. and none of the backpacks i have tried at the store seem to be made to accomodate me .. do ya'll have any suggestions or recommendations?

thanks

I have and really like the CamelBak Blowfish. It hold a 100 oz bladder for water has two zip up compartments and a webbed compartment for the items you want quick access to. I can put my cache trade goods in one zipped compartment, cell phone, first aid kit, trail mix, power bars, compass, topo map and so on in the other two compartments. But what is neat about the Blowfish, is that one of compartment has a zipper which when unzipped allows the compartment to expand. When that is done, a 30 caliber ammo box geocache will fit in it.

Guest jjderoy1

ooo..one more problem .. i wear a size 8 1/2 hat .. anybody know anybody anywhere that makes a good hiking hat that is that big?

to sum up .. i havent found a pack or a hat that fits so im looking for some expert advice on outfitters that might work

thanks all

Guest ClayJar

Yes, hats! I have one of those fishing/bucket/whatever hats, but the Wal only has up to "Large" (whatever that means today). I went through all of them and found the largest large (not that there's a measurable difference), but it still doesn't really fit my big head. Does someone have a place to get a nice hat like that in something akin to an XL? (Otherwise, I'll just keep this one and hope that it doesn't shrink in the wash.)

Guest k2dave

What's the deal with hiking and hats? I was always told you need a hat to hike. So I brought a hat the 1st 2 multi-night hikes. never used it - never brought a hat w/ me ever again - never wished I had one.

What am I missing?

Guest jjderoy1

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

What's the deal with hiking and hats? I was always told you need a hat to hike. So I brought a hat the 1st 2 multi-night hikes. never used it - never brought a hat w/ me ever again - never wished I had one.

What am I missing?

try walking all day in the sun in texas ;-).. a hat just keeps the sun off your head

personally i would be happy with even a baseball cap but those don't fit my head either .. that is why i was interested in knowing if anybody knows of larger sizes

Quote, from Redd icon_biggrin.gifumb question alert: What if you need to carry other supplies like food, clothes, tent, etc. How do you carry water and a full pack?

What I do is talk just the bladder and place it in in the top section of my backpack. Mine has a top cover, with a small compartmnet and that is where I put the water.. As far as keeping the bladder clean, if I am out in the bush, it doesn't seem to be a problem as long as I keep water in it and rotated. For longer term storage, I place my bladders in the freezer..

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by geoark1:

Try www.tilley.com for hats and other outdoor wear. Have a Tilley hat and it is great.

Wow. They've impressed me. Now to start saving up for one. They're priced like they know they're good, but with the guarantee, that's not that high. (I intend to wear mine out, whatever it takes.)

Guest Robereno

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

Looks like the Camelback brand is really getting the nod here. In San Diego that means REI or Adventure 16. Hope they carry it.

Rob

After reading the recommendations here I went with the Camelbak Unbottle 100. No problem finding it as it seems to be the most popular brand. For what it?s worth I spent $33 though I didn?t shop around. I also found the website if anyone is interested, http://www.camelbak.com/rec/recreation.htm

Colin Fletcher wrote that when your pack gets over 50 lbs, things stop being fun. With all my new toys and gizmos, I?m approaching 65lbs. Guess I could leave out the food.