My Coords Moved In My Gps - How And Why?

I went out to a chace today that i tried last fall. I have changed NOTHING in my Garmin Etrex Legend regarding this particular cache - it was DL'd 6+ months ago into the unit and it has sat there since.

SO today I am driving down the rural road with the unit on, and it takes me about 1/5 mile from where i parked last time...odd. Not at all right. I come home and check the GPS against my Home coords, and they are the same, and other cahces have been spot on. Not the unit...and geocache.com shows the cache coords are different that what is in my unit...

So somehow the numbers/coords in my unit got changed. the cache name did not change, and i am 99.9999% sure i did nothing to change it - not sure i could if i had to.

I had somehing similar happen a few weeks back while on vacation, but i suspect the LOC file had bad coords in it. Not i am not so sure...

I flushed the memory in the GPS and will reload everything. Odd...very odd.

So somehow the numbers/coords in my unit got changed. the cache name did not change, and i am 99.9999% sure i did nothing to change it - not sure i could if i had to.

A waypoint can be moved on the map page by dragging the pointer to it so the waypoint highlights, pressing Enter, dragging the waypoint to the new location and pressing Enter again. This can happen inadvertently while scrolling around the map, marking waypoints, measuring distance, etc. It's happened to me a few times. :o

All I can think of is that there was a seismic event that actually moved your original parking spot to a new location on the face of the planet.

Did you notice any crevasses in the area?

(sorry....just kidding)

Edited by jacques0

A waypoint can be moved on the map page by dragging the pointer to it so the waypoint highlights, pressing Enter, dragging the waypoint to the new location and pressing Enter again. This can happen inadvertently while scrolling around the map, marking waypoints, measuring distance, etc. It's happened to me a few times. :)

Hmmm...probably. When i get into map scroll mode i don't know how to get out...have to find my manual and read up a bit.

Any idea where that is? I need an in-house GPS system!

Hmmm...probably. When i get into map scroll mode i don't know how to get out...have to find my manual and read up a bit.

Any idea where that is? I need an in-house GPS system!

Press QUIT to return to the original map screen without pointer. Manuals can be downloaded from the Garmin website under Support. Probably a good idea to input your name and phone into your unit's Welcome Message, just in case you lose it in the field. :)

Here's a thought. When you say, "and it takes me about 1/5 mile from where i parked last time...odd. Not at all right." Were you parking at a point nearest the cache to hunt it, or had you marked this spot as a waypoint?

Regardless, it almost sounds like this cache has been re-located a bit by the owner since you originally entered the coordinates. This has happened to me where I load up caches and not hunt them for a length of time, and found the owner moved their cache for some reason with me never checking the listing again.

Just a thought.