Garmin Etrex Vista

I had a wild EBay moment and got one of these nice and cheap. I was tempted by the mapping, but I didn't have enough dosh to buy a 60CS alas. It's now snailing it's way to me, but I am interested to see who else has one and what their experiences are.

Yeah, yeah, I know I am doing it *rse about face, and should ask these questions first, but I am happy with my Etrex Venture (soon to be up for sale at a reasonable price, BTW) so I know that a GPS from the ETrex family will be fine and will do the job. I just want to fill in the anticipation time before it arrives. :rolleyes:

I've had one of these for a couple of years'ish'. Caching wise, I wish I had just stuck to my first yellow etrex as there really is no obvious difference finding lunch boxes. The maps are helpful though when travelling, as when you get lost you can just type in the name of a place you want to get to and it will take you there. I suppose most people just take an atlas but I always seem to forget! sorry if this has spoilt your excitement :rolleyes:

How much are you thinking of selling your old gps for?

i am really new and wont one, i have done a few caches without but now feel the need for the gps, but as i have a large family i wanted it to be quite cheap !!!

thank you

foxy

When we started caching we started with just a basic garmin.Problem is it soon became obvious that we needed some mapping software when out of our area as it can be quite difficult at times navigating to an unknown area, and to the parking spot. We now have mapping and what a boon that is. We feed in the parking co-ordinates, if there are any, and off we go with the quest feeding us directions from start to finish. In fact it is about impossible to get lost nowadays, and means we can get around fast to any caches we plan on doing. Mapping is not essential to geocaching, but makes it a dadgum lot easier. On the upside as I have to travel around for my work to different addresses each day, it goes with me then making my working day quicker......

I've got a vista, I didn't read the instruction manual when i got it (cause I'm a man) and lost it. I found the manual the other day and there's loads it'll do that I didn't realise, navigation for a start.

I would recommend getting European Metroguide. I had to because I imported mine from USA but my mate's just got one and his maps are not very detailed. Occasionally Metroguide is available for about £20 on ebay :o

Yup, got one of those.

Oddly enough, my cheap nasty bluetooth GPS tends to find a lock faster and does better under trees (go figure)

Main feature I like on it is the built in compass - means that you really know which way the cache is when you're stood still or walking slowly.