Calling An Ftf

I was wondering what other people think of FTF's in the way of a multi-cache. Found a cache today while caching with TWOBUGS here in Portland. TWOBUGS found the first of the two part multi, but it was lighthousefive that found the final cach location.

This sparked a geo-debate.

Please don't get me wrong. In no way did any of us think this was important enough to spend a whole lot of time on, but on the way back to the cars it was at least worth a little discussion. (AND we are sick of being second to find! I want that FTF! :rolleyes: )

I am thinking that only the final cache counts as a find, due to the fact that it is the only one that gets logged. TWOBUGS, who has five or six FTF's I might add, wants some sort of recognition. So here is my post...

...and your recognition TWOBUGS! <_<

lighthousefive

If you're caching as a team, I'd say you both get to 'claim' the FTF. The person who actually spotted it gets to put in the first log, but it should read something like "FTF with Fred", and then Fred puts in the second log and say "FTF with Joe". You both get to log the find, you both put in the effort on the cache, why can't you both claim the FTF?

If you're caching as a team, I'd say you both get to 'claim' the FTF. The person who actually spotted it gets to put in the first log, but it should read something like "FTF with Fred", and then Fred puts in the second log and say "FTF with Joe". You both get to log the find, you both put in the effort on the cache, why can't you both claim the FTF?

I agree with that, but I also specifically agree with Sax.

I mean, you guys were working together, and you got FTF together, you should both claim it.

But at the same time, really it's only the final stage that counts. For example, say a guy saw a new multi. First thing in the morning, he went out, but was only able to find the first stage, later in the afternoon, you came along and found all three and the final... You get FTF, not the other guy...

FTF is the one who found the cache first. If it was a team you are both FTF. The only time it truly matters in a team is when there is a nifty FTF prize then the person who truly found it first gets first dibs. That is unless the other person is the one who got stuck retrieving the cache...

Team dynamics differ....

FTF is the one who found the cache first. If it was a team you are both FTF. The only time it truly matters in a team is when there is a nifty FTF prize then the person who truly found it first gets first dibs. That is unless the other person is the one who got stuck retrieving the cache...

Team dynamics differ....

Yah, I agree with RK.

I was FTF on a particularly difficult puzzle cache with two others. Two of us split the FTF prize because we had done the most work on it. The third was more-or-less along for the find because he was/is a good caching buddy and we wanted him to be with us.

Your debate reminds me of a situation I was in.

I had found a cache, signed the log and claimed my FTF on it, even though people had signed the log book before me I was the first person to post a find on the cache page.

The people who signed it before me sent me an e-mail a few days laters telling me their "story" on why they could not log it online. Truth or not, I gave it to them because their was no prize for it, just the claim to fame

Umm, if someone signed the log book in the cache before you, you're not the FTF. Fastest back to the internet is not the same as fastest to the cache.

I just had one of those today.

The FTF evidently signed the log, but didn't take the FTF prize, so the next person did, but isn't claiming the FTF on the web log.

I'm curious to see if the written log person signs in to the web, so I can get at FTF thing to them, too :o

Edited by EleriandBlade

There was an interesting case here where our local FTF guru got to a cache in the middle of the night (normal caching behavior for him) to be FTF.

When he got out the log, he saw that someone had already signed it, but it had been signed before the cache had been approved on the site. :o

He claimed FTF honors . . . and rightfully so.

My one-and-only solo FTF wasn't found again for almost a month. No one else wanted to make that hike without FTF as the "prize." :(

When a friend and I found three new caches one day, we signed the log book, "Co-FTF with _____"

what about this, another ftf question. mom and son are heavily envolved in caching. they both have a good amount of hides to their names.. but it seems mom is the ftf to find the sons and the son is the ftf to find moms . it is like this 9 out of 10 times (ballpark figure) is this fair?

Only one person can be first. FTF is, of course, self-aggrandizement. :) I've got three FTFs. We have a few FTF fanatics in the neighborhood. Going after work usually results in a 2nd or 4th TF. Oh, well.

My caching partner and I have different accounts. I go caching more frequently. His FTF is his alone. I was 2nd to find. (With the 3rd to find crunching through the snow atop the cliffs.)

what about this, another ftf question. mom and son are heavily envolved in caching. they both have a good amount of hides to their names.. but it seems mom is the ftf to find the sons and the son is the ftf to find moms . it is like this 9 out of 10 times (ballpark figure) is this fair?

No, but then some people just don't know how to play the game "according to Hoyle." And it sure seems like a couple of people are sharing "inside" information. :)

Gives you a good insight into their "ethics." I would think local "Second To Find" on those caches should be able to claim FTF honors . . .

Around here we call it a Co-FTF. Even if two cachers who generally "compete" for FTFs arrive at the site at the same time, we still call it a Co-FTF.

And like the others have said, the FTF only goes to the first person/team who actually finds the cache. The other situation is the slightly less coveted NTFTFBTFTLO.

The FTF champ at the moment around here is Macatac... so we came up with another acronym.. FBM. Almost as good as FTF.

I agree. You were there as a team so you both get credit.

I had found a cache, signed the log and claimed my FTF on it, even though people had signed the log book before me I was the first person to post a find on the cache page.

The people who signed it before me sent me an e-mail a few days laters telling me their "story" on why they could not log it online. Truth or not, I gave it to them because their was no prize for it, just the claim to fame

How do you give a FTF to someone? You get a FTF by finding a cache first. They aren't awarded like medals or traded like baseball cards.

Edited by briansnat