How To Go About Mapping To Caches...

Ok, I am not a newbie but I updated alot of my mapping software and am trying to now use my laptop while driving to map to the cache (getting tired of my gps telling me to turn into a fence, when I kind of need a road!!).

My software I have is:

Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 <-just bought

Delorme Street Atlas 2005 Plus <-just bought

Easy GPS ( I have been using this just to put waypoints into the handheld gps)

Mapsend (old version from 1999)

(I own and registered all these - they are not bootlegs, etc. except Easy GPS I am using the Free Version of it.)

My handheld GPS's I own are:

Magellan Meridian Platinum <- I use this one under heavy tree cover

Garmin Venture <- I use this when not much tree cover or need to be stealthy

Gps that sits on the dash:

Microsoft/Pharos <- just got with the Street&Trips haven't even tried it yet.

Anyway any help with my combination I would really appreciate... I tend to find myself spending more time trying to find the cache (in the car) then the actual hiking and finding the container!! so I am trying to cure this!

Thanks alot,

John

Team Spending Time, Saving Cache

Edited by Team Spending Time, Saving Cache
I tend to find myself spending more time trying to find the cache (in the car) then the actual hiking and finding the container!! so I am trying to cure this!

Your quote, above, is the answer to your question, buddy. You must come to a point at which you divorce youself from technology. Put the GoTo coordinates into your GPS, find a convenient parking spot ¼ or .2 or .15 mile away, then WALK to the cache. A large part of the enjoyment of this game is the interaction with the outdoors.

this is not a unique problem -

my friend and I spent quite a bit of time on Saturday doing just that - trying to find the cache in the car - you DO! have to get on the right street to get to the park or trail head. This was less a problem with us THIS TIME - than it was with the weird streets, weird street names, etc. Like Jordan Lane, Jordan Circle, Jordan loop, Jordan St - and they all run in circles into each other. ARGHhhh...

so even with GPS's, printed maps, we got lost several times.

hang in there 0-0

cc\

Streets and trips has good routing. GSAK can output to a file that you can import your caches as pushpins. If you don't want to register GSAK for $20 you could use GPS Babel to do that conversion. But if you give GSAK a try I think you'd be paying the $20 in a heartbeat. I think there is a plug in available to give you voice prompts for turning. I know for sure its available for Map Point and its only $10.

The problem with any mapping program is that it isn't going to show you the best place to park. So while the mapping software will get you close it usually doesn't show the parking lot.

My favorite mapping software is Mapopolis for the PPC. Its big advantage over any PC based mapping software I've tried is its ability to dynamically re-route if you make a wrong turn or decide to try an alternate route to the cache. It also lets you easily import caches into it and set them as your destination by clicking on them.

Streets and trips has good routing. GSAK can output to a file that you can import your caches as pushpins. If you don't want to register GSAK for $20 you could use GPS Babel to do that conversion. But if you give GSAK a try I think you'd be paying the $20 in a heartbeat.

Delorme Street Atlas re-routes you as well. You can change how far of course you have to be before it reroutes. (So it doesn't reroute you when the road is really 60 feet from where the map says it is.....)

The big advantage I see for Street Atlas is that it lets you draw routable roads onto the map (non-limited access to non-limited access. there is a "work around" to join onto limited access roads, but it's not always easy)

New road just put through the area and it's not on the maps? New subdivision or road re-routing that isn't showing? Draw them in. You can also chane properties of existing roads, like marking them "one-way" "no left turn" "no right turn" "no way' (for the 'paper streets) etc.

For the OP, unless you're planning on paying for a Premium membership to gc.com, I'd just get GPSBabel and use it's front-end to convert .loc files into waypoint files for your mapping software. Then, use the maps to figure out the order in which you want to do the caches, and have the mapping software route you to them. Or, enter your start and finish and put all the caches in as stops and let the software show the quickest route to do them all.....

Granted, the mapping software isn't perfect, and isn't always going to get you to the best spot to access the cache from, but it'll usually get you there, or close enough to figure it out for yourself.

Very good thank you all for your help, I knew I was missing something! basically I think it was not knowing that I needed to convert the .loc to way points.

I realize the mapping isn't going to put me exactly where I need, etc. but if it did then this would not be any fun!

Thanks for all the responses, now I am pointed in the direction that I was hoping!

I forgot to mention that all the hardware and software is stuff I also am using for travel and camping and geo'ing, kinda the 2 birds with one stone thing!

Thanks again!

John

I'll second PDOP advice and add a bit.

1. Upgrade your MapSend to the TOPO 3D version. The NavTech street database is more accurate (except for things like fire and logging roads). Seeing the streets in relation to the cache can help with driving and parking decisions. I don't think there will ever be anything to completely solve the parking issue other than already knowing the area.

2. Use the pushpin feature of MS Streets & Trips. Then plan your cache route the day before. Turn on the POI's to identify nearby and free parking opportunities (restaurants, banks, etc.). Right-click the pushpins to jump to the online cache page and use the links to view aerial photos of the area. They can be very helpful in planning routes. Speaking of routes, use the route builder in MSST to build a route, with the caches as stops. Then print it out (or copy to a PDA). Then you'll spend more time on foot and less in the car. The routes are especially handy if you have someone to read off the directions (or you could buy an expensive voice-prompting program like iNAV's iGuidance :rolleyes: for the solo trips)

One piece of software no one mentioned is USAPhotomaps its a free software and it will help in showing you where to park, and or where the closest trailhead is.

The black and white photos are not up to date but still very useable, but the urban color photos are awesome if theyre available for your area.

Well I tried out the GSAK and was really impressed, I am only using it to about 10% of it's potential but that is ok.

I did manage to get the waypoints in there and export them to my microsoft S&T and Delorome SA 2005+ so that was the main thing I was trying to muddle through!

I will check out the other software suggestions too, in particular the USAPhotomaps sounds pretty interesting, I will make it my next download.

Thanks alot everyone for all the help you saved me hours and handfuls of hair!

John

Edit: I found this site while looking for the USAPhotomaps... it looks like they might have some interesting software:

http://www.digitalgrove.net/Toolbox_mappers.htm

Edited by Team Spending Time, Saving Cache