Distance From Home Problems

TheWrightFamily

Hi PPL

Just newbies to this - but enjoying it heaps :-)

With Brisbane (AU) home coordinates entered into the site as :

S 27° 27' 30.6"

E 153° 02' 60.6"

(adjusted slightly for privacy reasons)

Why does it show the incorrect distances from home when looking at caches in our watchlist?

Eg Mount Coot-tha by The Elves

S 27° 29.101

E 152° 57.471

UTM: 56J E 495836 N 6959842

E 616.2km from your home coordinates.

This should be no more than about 15km by my reckoning?

616.2 Km East from home is well into the South Pacific Ocean and well outside Australian Territorial Waters!!! :rolleyes:

How do I correct this so that I can accurately estimate distance from home to caches?

Thanks

Phil

S 27° 27' 30.6"

E 153° 02' 60.6"

60.6 is invalid for the seconds part. It cannot be greater than 60.

Make sure you entered the correct coordinates.

To start off, let's assume you went to the correct place to enter your Home Coordinates. There would still be several problems with the data you posted. Lets compare the two Lat / Long coordinates in your post.

S 27° 27' 30.6"

E 153° 02' 60.6"

Eg Mount Coot-tha by The Elves

S 27° 29.101

E 152° 57.471

Notice how the Mount Coot-tha by The Elves coordinates end with 3 digits that follow after a decimal point. Those are Decimal Minutes. The standard used by this Web Site. There are 60 Seconds of arc in a Minute, so for example:

15 Seconds = .250 Minutes

30 Seconds = .500 Minutes

45 Seconds = .750 Minutes

Now loook at what you are tryng to use as your Home Coordinates. Those are listed as: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds. Not as they should be: Degrees, Minutes, Decimal Minutes.

So S 27° 27' 30.6" should be S 27° 27.510'

And now we have a bigger problem. There are only 60 Seconds in a minute but you have squeezed 60.6 Seconds in there somehow. The best I could do with that is add the 60 Seconds to the 2 Minutes preceding it and now we have 3 Minutes. You would still have .6 seconds or .010 Minutes left over. So lets call this:

E 153° 03.010' I still worry about where that impossible 60.6 came from.

OK Now that you are going to use Degrees, Minutes, and Decimal Minutes, where are you getting your home coords. If they are not in the proper format you must do a proper mathematical conversion. There are several Web Sites that can help you with this if you are not mathmatically inclined. Or you can do the conversion right on your GPSr if necessary.

OK again. Now you have home coordinates in the one and only correct Degrees, Minutes, and Decimal Minutes. Are these home coordinates entered in the proper place?

Go to www.geocaching.com (make sure you are logged in).

Click on My Account near the upper left of the page.

Now from your Account page look in the upper right portion of the page for a Blue Box. Inside that box look for Update home coordinates.

Enter the correct data in the proper format and you should be set.

You guys are too quick :P

Like I said "(adjusted slightly for privacy reasons)" :P

My GPS is a NavMan and I now know how to change the display format of position to match that of the site etc

I since have also worked out that the update to my home position only updated after I logged out completely and logged back in.

DOH! :P

Thanks for your help guys

Family is coming up to join me in Brisbane tomorrow so we are hunting down some more caches this weekend!

Thanks again

Cheers

Phil

Edited by TheWrightFamily