Remove Spoilers

seekers8711

I would like to find out how to remove part of a log entry made by a finder of one of my caches. This person added too much information, encrypted some of it, and when others read that log entry, they will probably decrypt and solve the cache.

IMHO, this is not acceptable in the "morals" of good Geocaching. I have E-mailed this person and asked politely for him/her to conform to the above comments ASAP. Every day this log continues as written, spoils my cache more and more.

Please help!

Thanks,

seekers8711

If you've decided that it absolutely must go AND you've given them plenty of time to make changes after you sent them a polite email requesting that they do so, delete the log. Then, send them another email requesting that they relog your cache without the spoiler info.

If they then relog a rude log without spoilers, live with it.

Edited by sbell111

Here is a slightly amusing example of a deleted log. There is a fairly recently hidden cache, called Cross Eyed Cache. Look at the third finder's log. It says simply, "Whatever." Before it was deleted, it said something to the effect of, "I just love these stare-e-o-grams." And then you will see my smart mouth note right after the re-entered log. Funny thing is, the hider and the finder are caching buddies, and I think they are professional colleages as well. They may not be direct colleagues, but they both work in the computer industry in my area.

And now for the real irony. I never was able to read the thing, deleted log or not. I had my sister read it, and then, to add insult to injury, I still could not find the cache! So let's not be too quick to delete logs. It says right on every cache page that logs may contain spoilers, so for the greatest challenge, don't read the logs. To each his own.

If it bugs you that much, you could choose a more subtle approach and re-hide the cache slightly.

I've asked several people to edit out some spoilers. So far, all have complied. Most edit the log quickly and apologize. One cacher never responded to my request, so I was getting close to deleting it. At the last minute the log was changed to something like, "Found it thanks", so I sent a thank-you note. Again, no response. Apparently that person wasn't happy with me.

Despite my very careful and anal policies on spoilers, I had this log posted for a 4-star difficulty mystery cache recently:

Found with no GPS, no maps, no coordinates, and only unsuccessful calls to SF. Emailing owner to see if I can change this to a smiley!

The guy emailed me the details of his find and explained how he used bits of spoilers here and there to figure out where the cache was. Truth is, he probably did more work than those who used a GPS to find the cache. I let the find stand.

I often get very wordy in my logs... makes me wonder if I give away too much, too. I'll have to really pay close attention to my own logs, too.

Jamie

I've asked several people to edit out some spoilers. So far, all have complied. Most edit the log quickly and apologize.

I've had the same experience. The few times I've asked someone to remove a spoiler from a log the person has complied quickly and apologized.

<<<<<<putting on flame proof suit, so flame away >>>>>>

Edited by briansnat

I know that I am going to feel really stupid, for asking this question after it gets an answer, but I have looked all over my cache pages to see how to remove someone's log or TB's that have been lost and are no longer in the cache. I see all over this forum that the cache owner can do this, but a search only turns up that it can be done, not how to do it.

2Tango

ps I don't want to do it, I just want to know how. :rolleyes:

Speaking of spoilers....I would love to take more pictures and include them with my logs (as I love to receive the same). My questions is.....do I need to pay real close attention to the pictures to not give away to much... or is it common knowledge that if you start looking at pictures you are going to most like get some really good hints?

Before deleting someone's log, consider e-mailing them and asking them to edit it first. Some people get quite upset that their log is deleted so in order to avoid hurt feelings, send a note. Most will be happy to oblige.

If you do decide that deleting it is the best course of action, send an email afterwards anyway, explaining why and offer to let them relog their find.

In any case, an email helps go a long way to avoid any problems. Just a suggestion, and your mileage may vary, as always!

:D

Speaking of spoilers....I would love to take more pictures and include them with my logs (as I love to receive the same).  My questions is.....do I need to pay real close attention to the pictures to not give away to much... or is it common knowledge that if you start looking at pictures you are going to most like get some really good hints?

We always take lots of pictures. It is a good way to document you travels. When posting pictures, we post just generic pics which give nothing away. Then my wife fills her web page with everything. If you can't find a cache, just visit her page if you live close by :D

I would like to find out how to remove part of a log entry made by a finder of one of my caches. This person added too much information, encrypted some of it, and when others read that log entry, they will probably decrypt and solve the cache.

IMHO, this is not acceptable in the "morals" of good Geocaching. I have E-mailed this person and asked politely for him/her to conform to the above comments ASAP. Every day this log continues as written, spoils my cache more and more.

Please help!

Thanks,

seekers8711

I had that happen a while back on a mulit cache of mine that required getting information from some grave stones in order to find the cache.

This person not only included photos of the grave stones, she also included links to web sites the contained all the info to do the cache. :D

I just deleted the logs and sent her an e-mail requesting she re log her find with out the spoilers.

Boy was she mad :o she made an issue of all the effort she put into her log looking up the web sites. :D

IMHO, this is not acceptable in the "morals" of good Geocaching. 

And you would be right per the consensus of cachers who contributed to the Geocachers' Creed. See the second bulleted example under the tenet I linked to.

It's your cache. As others have said, politely email and request that the log be edited. If that fails, delete the log and send another email explaining why you did so, and encourage them to relog the find without the offending information. This demonstrates that you're not trying to deprive them of their smiley.

If you feel strongly about spoilers, edit your cache description to request that people not post spoilers in their logs. It may help avoid this problem in the future, and will give you something you can point to if it happens again.

Speaking of spoilers....I would love to take more pictures and include them with my logs (as I love to receive the same). My questions is.....do I need to pay real close attention to the pictures to not give away to much... or is it common knowledge that if you start looking at pictures you are going to most like get some really good hints?

Yoy should pay close attention and make sure you don't give too much away. If the container has a particularly unique camoflage, you probably shouldn't post a pic and taking a photo fo the cache in its hiding place will not be appreciated.

What many geocachers do is move away from the area a bit if they want to take photos of them holding the cache.

I finally had to ask someone to edit their log late last week. After I'd emailed him, and gave him time to pop onto the site w/o the log being changed, I deleted the log entry.

I wasn't happy to have to do it... but there have been a few finds on that hide since his give-away and I suspect they are all a direct result of the log.

Not that it's a big deal... it was just VERY obvious as to where the cache was when you decrypt his log. And quite frankly, if I'd wanted it to be a 1/1, I would have done so. It's just not supposed to be that easy!

I'm usually very careful in my logs about mentioning where things are hidden and try to avoid all reference to location. I have been deleted and permanently encrypted without being asked to change my logs (and for logs that gave nothing away... but said, for instance, that the cache was 65 or 80 or 120' off) and asked to change my logs.

I will always comply.

Not always happily tho. It will go from a good story to a digruntled 'found it' in short order.

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

I recently set a cache that has a unique little twist for the careless. So far I've encrypted three logs that gave that part away. Perhaps I should ask the finders to change the log... but I know the word will get spread anyway, so my plan is to move it a bit in a month or so to really confuse the decrypters.

Edited by edscott
I finally had to ask someone to edit their log late last week.  After I'd emailed him, and gave him time to pop onto the site w/o the log being changed, I deleted the log entry.

I wasn't happy to have to do it... but there have been a few finds on that hide since his give-away and I suspect they are all a direct result of the log.

Not that it's a big deal... it was just VERY obvious as to where the cache was when you decrypt his log.  And quite frankly, if I'd wanted it to be a 1/1, I would have done so.  It's just not supposed to be that easy!

I'm usually very careful in my logs about mentioning where things are hidden and try to avoid all reference to location.  I have been deleted and permanently encrypted without being asked to change my logs (and for logs that gave nothing away... but said, for instance, that the cache was 65 or 80 or 120' off) and asked to change my logs.

I will always comply.

Not always happily tho.  It will go from a good story to a digruntled 'found it' in short order.

That is why I do not wait to delete a log with spoilers in it, but that is me. The one cache I have had to delete log on took a month to set up and about 500 miles of drinvng around in my truck finding all the locations for the legs of the cache.

This is the only cache I have had a problem with Who is it? , I posted a note warning the spoilers would be deleted, I just added a warning in the cache discription for those that do not read the logs.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
I recently set a cache that has a unique little twist for the careless. So far I've encrypted three logs that gave that part away. Perhaps I should ask the finders to change the log... but I know the word will get spread anyway, so my plan is to move it a bit in a month or so to really confuse the decrypters.

Most of the people who hunt my micros know that I'll do bad things to them if they spread the word... so far it seems to be working.

:lol: