Snakes. Yikes.

You should always be aware of where you are walking. I was playing around with backtrack after leaving a cache and I ran into this rather large specimen. I almost stepped on him/or her. It was very cooperative about taking pictures though. PA photo. Quehanna Wild Area.

23922317-M.jpg

Wow,

They have rattle snakes in PA.?

Camping and caching in the deserts of SoCal earlier this year I came across this little monster. Slithering across the trail I came inches from stepping on him – had no idea he was there until he snapped into fighting position and started rattling for all he was worth. My heart skipped a few dozen beats and it took a while to catch my breath. But once I did I pulled out my camera and got some great shots. I’m not sure whether this guy was really, genuinely being aggressive, or just hamming it up for me. Either way, it worked! But let me tell you, I walked painfully slow and careful for the rest of week, meticulously checking the surrounds of each footstep before placing my foot, and I slept in the bed of my truck for a couple nights rather than on the open ground…

0052.jpg

-eremite, respecter of monster rattlers

eremite -- Absolutely stunning photoraph! I had a similar experience several years ago in Canyonlands National Park. I heard that sound and was in the air. I landed about 20 feet away from that little rattlesnake. I wasn't brave enough to get any pictures, but I walked very, very carefully the rest of my camping trip.

Later a ranger said I was very lucky because in nine years in the park he had never seen a rattlesnake. :yikes:

Are there rattlesnakes in new hampshire?

Eastern Timber Rattlesnake

Google is your friend. :D

GoogleisyourFriend.gif

Please don't take offense, I just like that image . . . :P

A Cache buddy of mine, just recently was caching in Indiana and was reaching where he couldn't see and when he took his hand out from under the steel, a big black snake was attached to his hand. After getting the snake to let go, he went to the doctor to get a tetnus shot for the punctures. Several snake skins have been seen in the area of this cache. Beware of places you can't see...

I just saw this dude a few weeks ago at Cooper's Rock in West Virginia. I think it's a timber rattler, a species I just heard of yesterday. It's the first rattler I've seen in the wild. We were all safe in the car, happily.

0f0ed7bb-623b-4df2-b611-acafe95b76fe.jpg

One of my most memorable snake encounters was with a regular garter snake in my front yard. It surprised me when I went to turn on the hose, and I was alarmed at what seemed to be something horribly wrong with it's head. At second glance, I realized I was looking at the back end of a frog sticking out of its mouth.

Then there was the time at the zoo when the little trapdoors in the back of a snake cage opened up and in hopped a tiny little bunny. "Oh, look, a bunny! How cute! Hey, wait, don't snakes..." <SNAP!>

Edited by Dinoprophet

Here's a serious Mr. NoShoulders Cottonmouth at Wall Doxey State Park in Mississippi.

26146c60-2a76-4444-a23c-fbe97acb704b.jpg

This one's a harmless critter, but I have no good idea what its name might be. It was on a trail along the north bank of the Wolf River. Maybe it's a common water snake.

d37d1ff6-b712-41a1-a284-99367f8206d0.jpg

I've had snakes find a cache for me. I came across a rattler about 6' long while searching for a cache, and when I startled him, he went right by me and into a hole under a stump nearby, obviously making a beeline for home. He then came partly back out, daring me to come near him. Turned out the cache was in the hollow top of the stump, as I discovered while checking a little closer. I gave up a FTF for that cache. The snake was just too aggressive for my tastes. Others came by later and logged the cache without seeing it, somehow. Seeing the cache, and knowing that I knew where it was, was enough for me.

This one's a harmless critter, but I have no good idea what its name might be.  It was on a trail along the north bank of the Wolf River.  Maybe it's a common water snake.

d37d1ff6-b712-41a1-a284-99367f8206d0.jpg

Based on the pattern and body type, it looks like some type of rat snake. There are several species and subspecies that fall under the general category of 'rat snakes'. In areas where different subspecies co-exist, the patterns start blending, and do not necessarily look exactly like any one species you can find in a herp guide.

Just recently I had an encounter with a copperhead in Myrtle Beach, SC. While doing the "Old Camp Ground" cache, I must have walked right over the snake while heading to the cache. It didn't move until I reached down to grab the ammo can. Scared me not because it was coming toward me, but because I realized how lucky I was that most snakes will try to do anything (stay still, slither away, hide) rather than strike a big, dumb, hairless ape it can't eat. It definitely had the opportunity to cause a world of pain. I was even wearing shorts, too.

First I shooed it around the tree so I could get to the cache, then I relocated it about a 100 feet away from the cache. Hopefully all the pestering I did to it will convince it to stay away from humans, although it seemed to already have that mindset. Also, the whole time it took me to hook it with a tree limb, it never tried to strike. I have experience working with venomous snakes, and I noticed the copperheads in captivity were pretty mellow also.

I live in north east Washington.So far Ive only seen one snake while caching.I had found the cache container and opened the lid and the owner had tied a rubber snake to the lid so when i lifted it the snake came up with it.I landed 20 feet from it and my wife almost wet herself laughing at me.They should have named the cache heart attack city.

I don't normally visit these boards unless my pocket queries are late. Tonight was one of those times. I didn't find anything on the PQ's, but this subject got my attention.

I see snakes all of the time in Southern California. The snake I see the most is the Southern Pacific rattlesnake. Gopher snakes, king snakes and garter snakes are also pretty common. There are a couple other varieties that are pretty rare. Here's some photos of a Southern Pacific rattler that my friend caught during a hike we did last month in the Santa Monica Mountains. She was so happy to see us that she wouldn't stop wagging her tail until he let her go.

DSC_1744.jpg

DSC_1747.jpg

DSC_1748.jpg

Scott

Edited by slegal

:lol: Here's one that I encountered while caching in April. The cache is Pee Dee TB Lodge

I figured that is was the Guardian of the Cache to protect against muggles.

28b1f79f-fe7d-48b1-b0e3-9f33b5eedbbb.jpg

My son and I recently saw a two and one half foot copperhead while hunting this cache Fort Fisher Basin Trail. Luckily, I saw the snake before we stepped on it.

Now, I definitely keep my eyes wide open while caching.

Thanks for the fun. :D

Edited by hootgibson59

A couple weeks ago I was walking along a jogging/biking trail on my way to a cache. The biggest bull snake I've ever seen decided to cross the trail just in front of me. I crouched down and talked to him as he paused to see what the big freak next to him (me) was doing.

I heard someone back on the trail and turned around. It was a little old Japanese man who stopped his jog about 10 yards away from me, saying something about "biggest ever seen". I'm sure each of us only understood about half of what the other was saying, but what I did understand was that he had been coming here for five years and had never seen a snake that big. He was also afraid of snakes and wondered if it was poisonous. I told him a bit about the species in question, assuring him this was not a poisonous snake and that it was doing its job of keeping the field mice under control.

After the snake finished crossing, the old guy felt safe continuining his jog. He turned around after he passed to say again, "Five years, biggest ever".

Quite a few interesting wildlife encounters that day. Looking for the cache a few minutes later, I stumbled upon a terrestrial tortoise/terrapin in the woods eating a bird. He froze when he saw me, like he had just been busted eating something he wasn't supposed to. I'm a zoologist but I'm no herpetologist, so as soon as I got home I started Googling the eating habits of tortoises/terrapins. I'm still not sure which I saw going all carnivore on that bird.

Anyway, I taught a little old Japanese man that you don't have to fear snakes. Aside from alerting me to the fact that some little old man was in better shape than I, he taught me that some little old men fear snakes. I also learned that vegetarians might try to sneak some KFC in when they think no one's looking.

I saw a tiny, bright colored one while taking a bag of trash around the side of the house to the can out back. We scared each other to death and each of us ran separate directions.

My wife never ceases to amaze me. She picked up a snake while in the garden a while back and simply tossed it out of her way and kept gardening.

:o

Camping and caching in the deserts of SoCal earlier this year I came across this little monster. Slithering across the trail I came inches from stepping on him – had no idea he was there until he snapped into fighting position and started rattling for all he was worth. My heart skipped a few dozen beats and it took a while to catch my breath. But once I did I pulled out my camera and got some great shots. I’m not sure whether this guy was really, genuinely being aggressive, or just hamming it up for me. Either way, it worked! But let me tell you, I walked painfully slow and careful for the rest of week, meticulously checking the surrounds of each footstep before placing my foot, and I slept in the bed of my truck for a couple nights rather than on the open ground…

0052.jpg

This is a MOST stunning photograph. I can't seem to get over it. You've got game with that camera. :o

0052.jpg

This is a MOST stunning photograph. I can't seem to get over it. You've got game with that camera. :o

I've actually saved a copy of this picture and printed it out on photo paper.

Yes, it's an absolutely stunning photo.

-Jeff

My friend walked right past this snake, that was HUGE! At the time, all I could see was the pattern on its back, I couldn't see the head, or the tail. :o

Once we realized it was harmless, we took several pictures, and it was very patient with us as we did that.

5612a83b-1d45-448c-8ca5-32852745a608.jpg

0052.jpg

This is a MOST stunning photograph. I can't seem to get over it. You've got game with that camera. :D

If I didn't know any better, I'd say this was a National Geographic photo. Very cool!

I decided to stop by and do a quick cache off of I80. Since it was close to the highway I didn't think anything of being in shorts and sandles. I did the typical watching the GPS and not where I was walking. When I finally did look where I was walking a snake was one inch from my foot. I did my "heeby-geeby" dance and left. I found the cache another day with pants and boots on.

-keri

While out this past weekend with friends, we spotted a green tree snake in the tree before we even saw the cache! We got the snake down and my 8 year old daughter held him unitl it was time to leave. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera or I would have taken her picture. It was a beautiful and cool looking snake.

Before I ask this, yes I have googled but without much luck B)

A coworker of mine insists a friend of his was 'hooked up' with Rattlesnake antivenom by his doctor. He claims to carry this with him while hiking in case of an 'incident'.

I have seen several Rattlers here in San Diego while hiking/caching and would really like to acquire this for my dogs and myself.

Anyone heard of this?

Just today I was retrieving a travel bug that was almost forgotten, I saw a eagle/hawk bird that two other people before me looking for this cache had logged, it was lying on a large rock near the creek with a rather large copperhead lying on top. Rats! I didn't have a camera either, I hate snakes but that would've been a nice picture.

Note: I took a different path out wouldn't ya know.