Appropriate Cache Items

Team Red Oak

Now that I've been caching for about a month everytime I look in a drawer or some other place where house junk seems to gather I find small things I think would make good swag. Things like a key chain from Panama given to me by a forgotten co-worker many years and many jobs ago, a lapel pin I picked up in Germany from an Opal dealership etc.

Now I've found something that I think would be okay as swag, but before I go offending people I thought I should ask. Someone once gave me a small cross. It's a nice cross, hand made pottery from Poland and marked that it is Hand made in Poland. The person who gave it to me didn't know that I am not Christian and it didn't offend me that she gave it to me, she is a nice person and meant well. It would not offend me to find religious items in a cache. I don't always exchange swag, sometimes there isn't anything there I want. I cache for the thrill of the hunt and find but I've never noticed any type of religious items in cache boxes. (Out of the 14 I've found, maybe only 3 or 4 had swag items, the rest were micros with a log only)

So would anyone be offended to find a 3 inch cross made from Polish Pottery in a cache? Or is there some rule pertaining to religious items I haven't come across yet?

Thanks

Religion is controversial. For the most part though the general view is religiouse swag is ok but don't expect a pamplet to have any value as a trade item and there is a good chance someone will clean it out of the cache later. As for your cross it sounds fine. Remember there are all kinds of people in this world. Some of whom might like the cross.

I just looked up a Wiccan symbol, or at least I think it's a Wiccan symbol, but it's also a christian symbol, and yet and used on "Charmed". Digging deeper it's a Celtic symbol and well. It's on someones Sig Card. Ignoring anything else it's a cool looking symbol. Symbols have depth and roots that go beyond one culture or one religion at times. The Swastica was traditionally symbol of good luck. Western culture acts like it was tainted by a what, 15-20 year history in one culture, in the 20,000 year history of it's use? Meanwhile in India they chug along using their symbol as they have always used it.

The cross is no different.

Edited by Renegade Knight
So would anyone be offended to find a 3 inch cross made from Polish Pottery in a cache?

No matter what you put in a cache, someone somewhere will be in some way offended by it. Go ahead and place the cross in a cache. There are people who would love to have it.

The official line on caches is that they should not be placed for the purpose of promoting a religion or religious agenda. There is no rule about people trading religious items however. Though pamphlets are frowned on by many, most have no problem with items like you describe.

I'm not christian either, and I think that's a great cache item. As previous posters have said, it's important not to put religous materials that preach into caches but that's not what you're doing. The cross doesn't say: "Repent, Jesus died for your sins!" on it. It's an example of a regional form of arts and crafts. A religous person might take it, but so might someone who has an interest in religous symbols of all religons, or someone who likes pottery.

Edited by hoovman

In my area, we have a pastor that caches.....I finally found one of his crosses...one he made of nails and picture wire. Another person in the area paints up rocks....glad to find one of hers. I kinda like the signature things.

Now back to your question, I happen to be Catholic, and I think I may be interested in a Star of David for the very fact that I to learn about various cultures/religions/beliefs. Something from India or Zimbagwee would be cool as well....we also found a rock that was from Mexico...pretty neat.

I tell ya, I haven't been doing this long, but my sons love the caches, but seem to be disappointed in some of the junk we encounter. Something that is nice and substantial will probably be welcomed by someone who finds it.

The only thing that I don't want to find is something that I have to explain to my children that is inappropriate.

:D:D:D:D

It is completely disheartening that the world of political correctness has so encroached upon our senses that one would even feel the need to ask such a question. I wonder if she/he would have felt the same need had it been of another religion??? I would think not. For what it's worth, I am not christian, but I am American, and I sincerely hope the values our country was founded upon do not go the way of the dinosaurs.

T-bone-

Please don't presume to know what I would think.

Yes I would have felt the need to ask if I had a Star of David, a Pentagram, an Ahnk, a little Buhdda statue or anything that is of a religious nature. There are some places/sports/clubs where religious items are not appropriate and being new to Geocaching I didn't want to make enemies before I made friends.

I agree, it is a shame I had to ask the question, but I am not ashamed for asking it. Many years ago I never would have thought someone would have been offended, but time have changed. Having consideration for others will never go the way of the dinosaurs.

Unless that consideration is for Christians in today's age in today's media.

As for presuming to know what you think...I will take what you say as truth, but you are in the minority. Schools teach Islam, but oust Christianity every day.

And again for what it is worth, I agree that you should not be ashamed, nor did I imply that you should have been. Your consideration is admired, but I would wonder, personally, why everyone else should not be considerate of my beliefs if I am to be considerate of theirs?

Unless that consideration is for Christians in today's age in today's media.

As for presuming to know what you think...I will take what you say as truth, but you are in the minority.  Schools teach Islam, but oust Christianity every day.

And again for what it is worth, I agree that you should not be ashamed, nor did I imply that you should have been.  Your consideration is admired, but I would wonder, personally, why everyone else should not be considerate of my beliefs if I am to be considerate of theirs?

I'll believe our country is more tolerant for Islam than Christianity when our money says: "In Allah We Trust". :D

Edited by hoovman
...I'll believe our country is more tolerant for Islam than Christianity when our money says: "In Allah We Trust". :D

It already does since God and Allah are the same. The differences between the two religions stem from sources other than the diety worshiped.

Now you have me wondering though what Islamic symbols would look like.

In my area, we have a pastor that caches.....I finally found one of his crosses...one he made of nails and picture wire.

Well, boogers. THAT looks like a seriously cool item; one I'd like to see around here somewhere...but you're nowhere near me. Nuts. Ah well - any chance you could post a pic of it so we can see it?

Thanks for the idea Kite or Hawkeye. I can make a little bubble wrap pouch for it so someone could take it out to look at it and I'll just be choosy about where I place it. I'll look for a well cared for dry cache.

Edited to add: Hopefully once I place it and list it in the log, someone who wants it will pick it up so it won't sit for very long.

Edited by Team Red Oak

I think it's important to offend people, or rather, to avoid taking steps not to offend people, in respect of anything which they choose to do.

For example, I think any religious position - including atheism - should be open to the most fearful mocking. If you believe in it that strongly, you can take it. (And if you're a Christian, you should just forgive whoever is offending you. Yep, it's right there in the Bible. Even I know that much.)

The only things one should try to avoid offending people over, are issues that they can't do anything about: skin colour, handicaps, parents' religion (slightly subtle, that), etc. But for everything else, getting "offended" about something which you can choose to do or not to do (whether that's being a geocacher, a White Sox fan, or a Buddhist) is just special pleading for your view of the world.

Somewhere along the line, probably between the Holocaust (which was, fundamentally, picking on people due to their parents' religion) and the Civil Rights movement, everyone else seems to have decided that they are going to be a victim too. And since most people aren't being gassed or turned off the bus, their victimhood often has little more to it than "I'm being offended". Well, tough, I say. :D

There, now I'll go and get two tin hats, one for going outrageusly off-topic, and another for offending everybody!

Put anything in a cache that you would like to find, and don't worry about it.  :D

But I thought I wasn't supposed to put beer in a cache!

:D:D:D

OK; it's always a mistake to take anything for granted in this crowd. :D

Put anything in a cache that you would like to find, as long as it does not violate the geocaching guidelines.

As for standard religious symbols, books, etc.--put 'em in. Your opinion about what is appropriate is just as important as anyone else's. Understand, though, that there is a risk that someone who finds the objects you leave may not treat them with the respect that you deem proper.

Edited by reveritt
think any religious position - including atheism - should be open to the most fearful mocking...

Can't say I agree with "fearful mocking", which does nothing but stir up hatred. I agree that all positions--whether on religion, politics, or whatever--should be open to rational discussion. "Fearful mocking" sounds like it is one step away from the atrocities that various religions have inflicted on each other for millenia.

In this country (USA), we are obliged to tolerate other people's religion. That is one of the things we have absolutely done right in this country, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that tolerance means silence of the sort that the "PC" police like to inflict. If you don't like something about someone else's religion, you are free to make an intelligent observation, but you should respect the depth of another person's emotional commitment, as well as their rights under law, and refrain from "fearful mockery."

I'd have to say that I'd be less upset to find a cross than I would be to stumble across a bible or some sort of leaflet telling me that G~d is the only way to go.

I tend to get rather unhappy with finding blatent attempts to "save" my soul or rude political statements (I once found one referring to certain political people as retartds - it went straight into the trash)...

Things with bible verses on them are kinda annoying too... Sig cards, for example. If I wanted to collect verses, I'd've kept a bible on display.

think any religious position - including atheism - should be open to the most fearful mocking...

Can't say I agree with "fearful mocking", which does nothing but stir up hatred. I agree that all positions--whether on religion, politics, or whatever--should be open to rational discussion. "Fearful mocking" sounds like it is one step away from the atrocities that various religions have inflicted on each other for millenia.

In this country (USA), we are obliged to tolerate other people's religion. That is one of the things we have absolutely done right in this country, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that tolerance means silence of the sort that the "PC" police like to inflict. If you don't like something about someone else's religion, you are free to make an intelligent observation, but you should respect the depth of another person's emotional commitment, as well as their rights under law, and refrain from "fearful mockery."

I was, of course, being a little excessive, to make my point more forcefully. And you can't hear my British accent - it puts "fearful mockery" in perspective a bit. :D

I'm certainly not advocating taking any form of action against people because they choose to follow irrational belief system A, B, or C. But if I can see a way to make money out of them, well, I might just take it. No worse than Swaggart & Co, huh ?

:D

I was, of course, being a little excessive, to make my point more forcefully. And you can't hear my British accent - it puts "fearful mockery" in perspective a bit.

I thought you Brits were known for understatement. :D

I'm certainly not advocating taking any form of action against people because they choose to follow irrational belief system A, B, or C. But if I can see a way to make money out of them, well, I might just take it. No worse than Swaggart & Co, huh ?

If your idea of acceptable behaviour is being "no worse than Swaggart", then I suggest you aim a little higher.

Amazing how quickly an expression of concern for other people is labeled "PC", followed by the "I'm proud to be offensive" reply. Can you make offensive noises too? Awesome - you must be the envy of every 12 year old boy in the neighborhood! :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with being considerate, and it's not a shame to ask a question about what might offend other people. As Team Red Oak said, "Having consideration for others will never go the way of the dinosaurs", unless, of course, people are pejoratively labeled every time they display consideration.

Back on topic, I'm offended when people take a nice item (which would include this cross, from the description) and replace it with a piece of junk. Trade even or trade up and you should be just fine, unless, of course, you get your kicks from offending others. <_<

Things with bible verses on them are kinda annoying too... Sig cards, for example. If I wanted to collect verses, I'd've kept a bible on display.

And, of course, you don't have to collect the signature items with Bible verses on them...

It's all in how you play the game.

I wouldn't mind a fly as a signature item. Do you use that? :rolleyes:

I'm a member of the Church of the Mescalaro, so if anyone wants to put some peyote buttons in a cache, I'd be all for that.

Just kidding.

I say go for it - sounds like a fine little cross, someone will be thrilled to find it!

cheers

Mudbone

T-bone-

Please don't presume to know what I would think.

Yes I would have felt the need to ask if I had a Star of David, a Pentagram, an Ahnk, a little Buhdda statue or anything that is of a religious nature. There are some places/sports/clubs where religious items are not appropriate and being new to Geocaching I didn't want to make enemies before I made friends.

I agree, it is a shame I had to ask the question, but I am not ashamed for asking it. Many years ago I never would have thought someone would have been offended, but time have changed. Having consideration for others will never go the way of the dinosaurs.

I think it's admirable that you care enough to ask the question. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about doing it the right way!!! There are guidlines about things to not put in a cache...like food items or anything that smells like food, gum, mints, incence, scented candles and the like will smell good to animals and they will tear the cache apart to get to it! Also, many people cache with their kids, and do not appreciate sharp items like knives placed in there. They can be a problem. Just use your common sence..like someone else said above, there are all kinds of people caching, and you never know what someone will like or dislike...if they don't like it, they don't have to trade for it! It's that simple. So don't sweat it and have a good time! Cache on! :)

I think it's important to offend people, or rather, to avoid taking steps not to offend people, in respect of anything which they choose to do.

For example, I think any religious position - including atheism - should be open to the most fearful mocking. If you believe in it that strongly, you can take it. (And if you're a Christian, you should just forgive whoever is offending you. Yep, it's right there in the Bible. Even I know that much.)

The only things one should try to avoid offending people over, are issues that they can't do anything about: skin colour, handicaps, parents' religion (slightly subtle, that), etc. But for everything else, getting "offended" about something which you can choose to do or not to do (whether that's being a geocacher, a White Sox fan, or a Buddhist) is just special pleading for your view of the world.

Somewhere along the line, probably between the Holocaust (which was, fundamentally, picking on people due to their parents' religion) and the Civil Rights movement, everyone else seems to have decided that they are going to be a victim too. And since most people aren't being gassed or turned off the bus, their victimhood often has little more to it than "I'm being offended". Well, tough, I say. :P

There, now I'll go and get two tin hats, one for going outrageusly off-topic, and another for offending everybody!

I agree.

Additionly, where do people get off being offended simply by being in the presence of someone else's religious symbol? I mean, if I were to put a placard in a cache that said something nasty about someone's religion, or lifestyle, or haircut, now that may be something I should suspect may offend someone. But, if you're just going to put in a symbol of something you believe in, or like, or just consider 'neato', that others may not, how can that be offensive? And, if you're offended by it, perhaps you are taking yourself a bit too seriously.

Let's say I stuck a Denver Bronco's pennant in a cache, would it be reasonable for a Raiders fan to get his knickers in a twist over it?

One of the most engaging aspects of this sport/hobby/activity/pasttime (don't want to start THAT argument on accident), is how all the players bring something of themselves into it, and take something from it that enlightens and delights them personally.

If someone thinks the cross just isn't their cup of tea, they'll take the bobble-head doll instead.

--Chino

That's funny mudbone!

I know I said I would not get offended before, but I wouldnt be too happy to find dirty underwear in a cache.

You might laugh, but I did find a bunch of dirty diapers close to a cache in the middle of nowhere in Arizona, a recently slaughtered deer (and I mean VERY recent) in Oklahoma, and many (I mean lots) of rubbers near a cache in Vermont.

Some guys get all the luck.

I concur completely with some of the posts above.

(How's THAT for being political, huh?)

Seriously, thanks for asking the original question out of a sense of consideration. That shows good manners, not being PC.

It sounds like a beautiful item. Put it in a padded baggie, with a note about what it is and where it's from. Only a troglodyte would mistake it for religious proselytizing. The rest of the world would be honored to find such a treasure.

I concur completely with some of the posts above.

(How's THAT for being political, huh?)

Seriously, thanks for asking the original question out of a sense of consideration. That shows good manners, not being PC.

It sounds like a beautiful item.  Put it in a padded baggie, with a note about what it is and where it's from.  Only a troglodyte would mistake it for religious proselytizing. The rest of the world would be honored to find such a treasure.

I'll just say "Yeah, what RockyRaab said" as I was thinking along the very same lines.

I'm pagan (not Wiccan), but finding a cross in a cache wouldn't offend me - I'd probably just leave it in the cache and either TNLN or choose another item.

Now if it was a cache full of religious items, a cross, a bible, a vial of holy water, communion wafers, etc or something geared toward a specific type of geocacher...I'd probably want to know that ahead of time - that way I'd just pass on looking for it, yanno? For example, The Foo Foo Girlie Box:

"This one's more for the ladies, There's Bath salts, Stuff Animals, Bath massager, Nail Polish, Lotion and shower gel and a journal. That's why it's the FOO FOO GIRLEY BOX."

Not on my personal list, but I'm taking my niece geocaching soon and will visit it just for her.