You Took All The Marbles?

I planted a well stocked geocache about 2 weeks ago with 12 handmade marbles, and a few other handmade glass items. Every glass item in the cache had a minimum value of $10. Well the cache was going great. Each finder would log and usually exchange an item of their own for a glass item of mine. Till today.... A group of three people found the cache and took the rest of the marbles (about 7 marbles) and left a toy frog. boo hoo....

I'm not to upset. I was just wondering whats the best way to let this guy know I think he should have only took one marble per person.

Is it ok for me to log a note for my cache? Or should I just send him an E-mail and keep it more personal?

I was just now thinking. Maybe I should have specified, only take one marble per trader? They where very nice marbles. I figured people would have just known not to take them all. I think this guy just got greedy he he

No more cool marbles for the next to finds ack. maybe I can talk him into bringing them back lol

I planted a well stocked geocache about 2 weeks ago with 12 handmade marbles, and a few other handmade glass items. Every glass item in the cache had a minimum value of $10. Well the cache was going great. Each finder would log and usually exchange an item of their own for a glass item of mine. Till today.... A group of three people found the cache and took the rest of the marbles (about 7 marbles) and left a toy frog. boo hoo....

I'm not to upset. I was just wondering whats the best way to let this guy know I think he should have only took one marble per person.

Is it ok for me to log a note for my cache? Or should I just send him an E-mail and keep it more personal?

I was just now thinking. Maybe I should have specified, only take one marble per trader? They where very nice marbles. I figured people would have just known not to take them all. I think this guy just got greedy he he

No more cool marbles for the next to finds ack. maybe I can talk him into bringing them back lol

Unless you posted on the cache or the cache page saying "Please dont take more than on marble" you really can't say anything. Even if you did is it worth it? In my childhood there wasnt a marble it was a LOT of marbles. From reading the log it seems like the person made what they thought was a valid trade.

Edited by LaPaglia

They probably didnt know they were handmade. You can buy a huge bag of marbles for $1, so they probably thought they were trading even for what they thought was 10 cents worth of marbles. Just chalk it up to experience and next time add a note to the cache description and on the bag of marbles themselves that they are handmade and only one marble per smiley, please.

Aye I understand. One glance at these marbles and there is no mistaken. someone took there time to make them but no Problem at all. I just got done makeing an even better run of about 20 items all minimum value of $20 dollars. It took me to days to make it all and I will for sure make a note to Please only take one marble or glass item each :) . Thanks for the info

The new marbles I just made. Three of them are one inch in Diameter and have GEOCACHE written inside them. Very very nice.

They sound like great sig items! Got a pic? I'll be caching out your way in a few weeks, I'll have to keep my eyes open for one in a cache.

The new marbles I just made. Three of them are one inch in Diameter and have GEOCACHE written inside them. Very very nice.

I'm not even a marbles lover, but think I would love finding those. Definitely a sig or prize item, but risky to leave them in a cache as regular trade items.

My little brother took the best stuff to show his friends before I stashed them. But here are a few of the marbles going into Glass Stash 2. The jar that the marbles are on is also going in the cache.

item-1.jpg

item-2.jpg

item-3.jpg

When I get the marble back with Geo Cache Written in it Ill post it up also.

Holy Cow, Now those are some marbles....!!!! I commonly drop a handfull of marbles along with something else into a cache and expect some kid who comes after me to grab the lot. But my marbles aren't nearly as cool.

Make good and sure you write on the cache page and maybe a note in the cache, not just in the log book but glued inside the lid that you only want people taking one marble. I say inside the lid, because sometimes people don't read the log books, they sign and run. But if there was a big note inside the lid people will see it.

Send some of them to So-Cal, I'll only take one..

Ohgr

AWESOME marbles! You don't say how you have them packaged, but maybe if each one is individually packaged it would help to make folks aware that it is one-per-cacher.

Now I just have to figure out how to get ot NV to find a cache with one of those marbles in it!

I was just wondering whats the best way to let this guy know I think he should have only took one marble per person.

There is no best way way. Forget about it and chalk it up to experience.

I had a person take 2 new items worth about $20 and leave a TB. I didn't say a word because what could I say without insulting him in some way?

Maybe if you put each of the marbles in its own bag next time, it may be more apparent to the finders that they aren't supposed to take them all. I think a lot of people just see a marble, not a hand made work of art.

Great marbles! Ever consider making ones that say geocache in them so you could *sell* them? I bet cachers would buy them.

Oh, and if you want someone to hide a cache of your marbles in another state like, say, Michigan, let me know! :D

Edited by hoovman

Ver-y cool marbles. Want one.

My mental rule of thumb is, if somebody logged the trade they made, it probably didn't occur to them they've done something they shouldn't. It's the silent but deadly swag raiders you have to watch for.

A cache full of those lovely things is going to be a temptation too much for some people. Which isn't necessarily to say you shouldn't do it, just that you can expect this to happen periodically.

Very cool marbles Jim Bob, I'da felt bad taking even one of them without leaving something very nice in the cache.... and I probably woulda been bummed when I got out to the cache and hadn't brought any trade items with me.

Ever think about putting a cache up in Minnesota? :D

Thanks for all the help. I will from now on individually package each marble seperatly. Along with a note or two in the log and in the cache that each finder should only trade or take one glass item.

I do have a glass stash 2 in the works and it will have about 25 glass items in it.

Each glass item takes about 45 minutes each to make. Along with about 3 dollars in materials. I value them around $10-25 dollars each. I really enjoy letting people find these marbles. That is why I do it hehe.

Thanks again for all the help. I am still new and all your info is appreciated.

I have a small obsession with glassy/bubble items, and your marbles are fantabulous! Oh, how I wish I could cache near you and score one! Perhaps sometime I'll take a glass course and learn myself. As it stands, I think I'll keep hoarding paperweights. Hee.

So sorry to hear about your bad luck with cachers trading poorly. It's always terribly disappointing to hear that. So tired of army men!

Yahoo. There was a slight misunderstanding hehe. Im new lol. Let me show you what the log said

Great day for a hike! Found with Las Vegas Princess and Jimmybojangles. Left a frog and took the marbles.

I was under the impression they took all the marbles. After a return email I was informed they only took two marbles. Yahoo. My bad. I learned allot and all is well. Sorry for the missunderstanding. hehe

As so many others have said, those are terrific items and you are very generous to give them away...

One idea that I don't think anyone has mentioned, how about setting up a couple as travel bugs, so that people in other areas might get to see them? I know, they would probably disappear quickly, but it would sure be way cool to find one and send it on a journey...

Yahoo. There was a slight misunderstanding hehe. Im new lol. Let me show you what the log said

Great day for a hike! Found with Las Vegas Princess and Jimmybojangles. Left a frog and took the marbles.

I was under the impression they took all the marbles. After a return email I was informed they only took two marbles. Yahoo. My bad. I learned allot and all is well. Sorry for the missunderstanding. hehe

i don't think i would let anyone know when you go caching. there just might be a large group following you from cache to cache, just to grab those very cool marbles. :o

i don't think i would let anyone know when you go caching. there just might be a large group following you from cache to cache, just to grab those very cool marbles. :(

Move over, Uper! I was here first!!! ;):D:o

i don't think i would let anyone know when you go caching. there just might be a large group following you from cache to cache, just to grab those very cool marbles. ;)

Move over, Uper! I was here first!!! :D:D:o

nope! according to the bylaws of the NGU, (National Geocachers Union), local 69:

seniority rules!

that means i'm SOL too. :(

Is it going to be a themed cache (trade glass for glass)?

Nah, I allready have Glass Stash 2 all preped up and ready to hide. Just been checking the valley for a GOOD spot. I'm still new, so I want to keep these first few caches simple as I can hehe. Glass Stash was so much fun for me, I cant wait to plant the next one. Just making sure that everything goes perfect on this one. There is really some nice items in it.

Now Jim 'Ol pal, how soon you plan on heading north?

I'm affraid all my caches will be placed in Southern Nevada :) I never make out north that often. Plus I really enjoy to keep a close eye on my cache to make sure all is well with the cache and the surounding area. I've been out to glass stash about 10 times allready hehe.

Maybe we can do a cache together. I make the items and you place and maintain it :) .

Edited by Jim Bob Ferly

I collect marbles that I find in caches - got a lovely little jar of them on my desk. I love looking through them, thinking about the different caches they came from. But none of them are nice ones like yours - those are amazing! When I find my little cheap marbles in caches, I usually treat them as a set; if there are five or six matching marbles in the cache, I'll trade something nice for all of them. If I don't have a nice trade item, I'll trade something cheap for one of them. Again, this is just with ordinary marbles. If I ever find some as special as yours, I'll be sure to to trade something very valuable for one to give such artwork the respect it deserves!

Marbles tened to be inexpensive items to those of us that dont know a mass produced from a hand made one so it might have been a fair trade to them. Mayb4e it was a hand made McToy, LOL, sorry. If you put stuff in caches and it is SPECIAL you might say as such.

cheers