Problem With Central Park

julz91

Hey all, long time no post. Checking through the caches in my area, I'm seeing that half of Central Park has been plundered. Any idea why there are suddenly so many caches missing? And, anyone gonna join me in adding some new ones?

The problem isn't with the park itself, to be exact, Julz.

It's with the junk that people have placed there. Numerous vacation caches, missing owners, and crappy containers.

And then there's the people who are determined to replace missing caches (even though they've been abandoned) instead of letting them get archived.

The unmaintained caches: Swamp Gas, TONY, In the Ramble? (Are they maintained at all?) would be best archived, IMHO. Muggled, but maintained caches (Lakeside View, The Arch, Here By the Meer) are up to the maintainers. All good caches!

The problem with Central Park is the sheer volume of muggles. They're all over the place! Anything will be found eventually. CP caches are special. But what they do need is almost constant maintenance. Time Out New York has not been in geocaching in over a year. Archive TONY. It's had a good run, but ...

There probably isn't anywhere in the park that you can put a cache that it won't get muggled. With the possible exception of itty bitty.

Just my opinion.

JMbella and I looked into placing a Central Park travel bug hotel (large container) next to a park building or within the zoo area with a permit from the CP auuthorities. Unfortuneatly, it costs $30 to apply for a permit and I declined to take it further since I didn't want them asking questions that I had no authority to answer, since what they don't know can't hurt them. :rolleyes:<_<

The unmaintained caches:  Swamp Gas, TONY, In the Ramble?  (Are they maintained at all?) would be best archived, IMHO.  Muggled, but maintained caches (Lakeside View, The Arch, Here By the Meer) are up to the maintainers.  All good caches!

The problem with Central Park is the sheer volume of muggles.  They're all over the place!  Anything will be found eventually.  CP caches are special.  But what they do need is almost constant maintenance.  Time Out New York has not been in geocaching in over a year.  Archive TONY.  It's had a good run, but ...

There probably isn't anywhere in the park that you can put a cache that it won't get muggled.  With the possible exception of itty bitty.

Just my opinion.

The Arch went missing 9 days after placement, then it was replaced, went missing again 4 days later, then replaced by Avroair.

The log book has been full for months and its owner has done nothing about it.

Lakeside View was replaced for the 5th time in April. There's obviously a problem with the choice of placement.

Here By The Meer was confirmed missing on April 16th and has yet to be replaced.

Itty Bitty has defied time. Its been in place for 3.5 years. But...it's a vacation cache and the existence and condition of a log book has been sporadic at best.

In The Ramble - vacation cache.

Flowers From Tennesee - vacation cache. Letterbox with no stamp.

The Castle - vacation cache.

Stone Face - vacation cache, plus there's no accurate answer for the confirmation.

Then, there's this one, which hasn't had a problem yet. :rolleyes:

Knock on wood.

The truth of the matter is that the ridiculous amount of people in the park make it difficult to keep anything there unnoticed. I am sure most are discovered because someone is looking for someplace to discard trash and they stumble upon a cache. It sucks b/c the park is awesome. I am definitely considering hiding another - lower 60's on the West Side where I now teach classes on Sundays.

edit: Hmmmm...TONY cache, hmmmmmm. I seem to remember a controversial thread in relation to that one. There seem to be quite a few vacation caches in NYC that slip by the Admins. Any of you care to chime in?

Edited by Squealy

I think the issue is the volume of people in general, i don't think it has much to do with people looking to discard trash in places other then a garbage can. In other words, this is NYC and someone is always watching you, whether or not you are looking to do something "good" or "bad".

The Arch went missing 9 days after placement, then it was replaced, went missing again 4 days later, then replaced by Avroair.

The log book has been full for months and its owner has done nothing about it.

Lakeside View was replaced for the 5th time in April. There's obviously a problem with the choice of placement.

Here By The Meer was confirmed missing on April 16th and has yet to be replaced.

Itty Bitty has defied time. Its been in place for 3.5 years. But...it's a vacation cache and the existence and condition of a log book has been sporadic at best.

In The Ramble - vacation cache.

Flowers From Tennesee - vacation cache. Letterbox with no stamp.

The Castle - vacation cache.

Stone Face - vacation cache, plus there's no accurate answer for the confirmation.

It's a tough place to place caches, to be sure.

Okay, so I'm dimwitted sometimes, but it took me three tries to find Lakeside View.

I did find The Arch twice! Once in each location. Yes, I realize that avroair is maintaining it.

AvantBard is active and in the city, but moving. I expect Here by the Meer to be replaced soon, or archived.

I have the imprint from Flowers From Tennessee. It was in a separate container. If it's gone, as a vacation cache, might be time to archive it.

The Castle still works, even if a vacation cache.

Stone Faces, however, has been unavailable for at least a month. I did notify the owner, but people are still logging it. If it were mine, I'd have marked it 'unavailable' until further notice.

In the Ramble is obviously gone, and should be archived. The same is true of TONY and Swamp Gas.

I never received a response to my e-mails for Central Park Highpoint or Central Park Guardian. Both are very interesting, but is the owner still active?

But the question is what to do with Central Park? It is a very special place, and deserves to have caches, but they must be maintained properly. Vacation caches is not the answer, obviously. The more muggle-free areas seem to have other strange activities going on.

Maintenance seems to be the key. (I'm not sure that any cache there will last very long.) Lakeside View has been replaced several times. That qualifies as maintenance in my book. Not sure that I'd leave a TB there, though.

Now, you've got me thinking that I should look for a place for a new letterbox-hybrid. :)

What would you do with Central Park?

What would you do with Central Park?

I have thought about placing one in the park but 1) It's saturated and 2) It would have be devious. And I'd bet that I'd run into similar problems as I did with 'My Monkey'.

I'm talking about the constant badgering from tourists and some locals who's only intent is to add 1 to their find count and have zero interest in putting any effort into finding a cache.

I agree with you, Harry. Central Park definitely deserves a few caches it's an awesome place.

If the problem caches that have been mentioned are archived, I would condsider it further.

Also, the owner of the other two caches that you've mentioned, Central Park Highpoint (which is not despite the name) and Central Park Guardian, seems to have abandoned his caches in Queens so I would guess that these are also.

I love Central Park caches. I often drop my wife in Manahttan to meet her sister who lives there. While they're in Bloomies spending money, I'm walking Buddy in CP checking out the caches. Plus, CP has no ticks!!! Great way to kill a couple of hours.

I loved taking my boyfriend's kids out caching in the Park - it was close to home, and not a lot of physical effort involved. That being said, I'm in agreement about the vacation caches. CP is a special case, and needs people with more than a passing accquaintance with it to hide caches there. Let's face it, someone who is only in the Park once a year doesn't know what the place looks like at any other time of year - when the leaves that were hiding a cache are not there, making it more likely to get Muggled, for instance. Vacation cachers also have a tendency to place caches in the most crowded parts of the Park, where they will almost surely get Muggled.

How would we go about getting the abandoned caches archived so we can start up a new and improved round of caches?

Julie