Wireless Card For Notebook

c88m

Ok what type of card should I use for wireless access ? There are alot of different types wireless cards , I have a slot in the side of the laptop (PCI I believe) . Next how to configure when I do get one (win XP) and any other misc info I might need . I posted this in GPS Units and Software earlier original post . Thanks all in advance for your help .

Edited by c88m

c88-

What kind of card to get depends on what kind of wireless network you plan on connecting to. If you plan on setting up a wireless access point in your home, you will need to make sure that you get an access point and card that are compatible.

Another thing to keep in mind is you don't always need the fastest card out there. For instance, if all you are doing is using the internet, you will see no difference at all between an 11Mbps (:) card and a 54Mbps (g) card, as the limiting factor in your speed will be your broadband connection to the internet.

Do you plan on setting up WiFi access in your home? If so, you will also need to by a wireless access point / router. Also make sure you secure your access point as well as you can, with a minimum of of a 104 bit WEP key or WPA if possible. Also make sure you change the administrative passwords on your routers lest your less-than-scrupulous neighbors either USE it or take it over outright. The software and/or documentation that comes with your AP should help you do that. If not, there are plenty of tutorials on the web.

By the way, the slot on the laptop is likely a PCMCIA slot.

There are a couple of other considerations - protocol and frequencies. If you plan on using your notebook in varying places, you will want a dual band a/g card. Dual band means it will work with wireless equipment operating on ISM (2.4GHz) frequencies and the newer 5.0 GHz band as well. a/g means it will work with 802.11(a) and (g) networks. All (g) cards are backward compatible to the third major protocol, 802.11(:). You can get a card like this for about $100.

If you are setting up in your home, I would recommend all 5.0GHz equipment. 2.4GHz is an industry-standard ISM (industrial, scientific and medical) frequency. Lots of equipment uses this frequency and can interfere with your wireless LAN if it is also running at 2.4GHz. Don't assume this won't happen if you don't have any other wireless equipment. Your LAN can catch interference from cordless phones (most common), bluetooth devices, neighboring access points and even microwave ovens. And it doesn't even have to be in your own house. 5.0GNz is a little more expensive, but is generally more reliable.

Good luck.

I bought an older laptop off Ebay a couple of months ago. Processor is slow at around 466 mhz, memory is only 150 megs, and its running Win98.

Ended up trying a Linksys G notebook card with it and the combination seems to work very well. Im thinking it will be even simpler to set up if you have Win XP. I dont know anything about the codes (WEP, WPA, passwords) so i cant tell you anything about those. I also dont have WIFI set up at my home. Wanted it mainly to use when im away from the house (for Geocaching) and so far ive had goodluck finding places with free WIFI where those codes arent needed. You can find lists of these free "hotspots" on the web. :)