Gw4 Hosting Invitation

I'll revive the conversation with our planning group then.  We already have some big steps taken toward the event.  The location, insurance, etc. should be secured within a month.

I am not familiar with all that many local organizations, but MiGO has always impressed me as one of the most active, organized, dedicated and proactive groups around.

MiGO is among that handful of groups around the country that could pull this off and probably introduce some new twists as well.

I sure hope you submit a proposal and I'd love to see you be selected.

There have been 4 or 5 groups who have contacted us asking preliminary questions about GW4. They have asked about clarification of some of the information we asked about and about GW3 itself. I think everyone who attended GW3 understood the "it's all about the numbers" Woodstock was began as a celebration for cachers by cachers and we hope that tradition continues. One thing that Joe emphasized to us and we feel like we carried through with and we will ask the next group to emphasize is the laid back nature of the event. The "numbers" can be what you want it to be it is simply a choice of what you want caches, friends, food , travel bugs.

I know all the organizations that have contacted us will do a fine job and we know that GW4 will be bigger and better than this year. No decisions have been made and we continue to look forward to hearing from as many groups as possible. As Trippy states it will take a lot of work and planning to put on this event so we will get a decison to the interested groups as soon as we have given everyone an oppurtunity to reply with their desire. We are hoping to have submittals by the end of June so we can have a decision made by mid-July.

I don't think entertaimment should be needed,there is plenty of entertainment just meeting other cachers from other places.I would love to see this event in Phoenix,Palm Springs or any Southern California location in the winter.This way it gets cachers out of the cold cloudy weather most of the country is having in the winter.

Michigan? I hope it's not a late fall/winter event.... :lol:

I guess the International Social is what's become known as "my baby". (I always had such good intentions too!! :D ) Anyway, I was thinking of our event maybe in March in the Upper Peninsula.....that way all the caches would be under 3 feet of snow and the difficulity for all them would be a 5!

Only kidding....

I'm still reading this thread and will be getting back to our planning group.....

The end of the month is closing in I have recieved one proposal so far and I am expecting to recieve at least one more. I know there were a lot of names kicked around by a number of people but the time for the rubber to hit the raod is approaching. I have answered general questions for 3 or 4 groups but I have not received any further communication from them in regards to their intention to submit a bid. If anyone is interested in submitting a bid please contact me with your intention. There is not a firm deadline to accept bids but we want to give the next organization as much time as possible to prepare. If you intend to submit a bid but will not be ready by the end of the month please let me know.

As far as who is bidding I will not be releasing that until the decision is made. I know everyone has their opinion about where, when and how. The groups have heard all the opinions and they will be taken into account as much as possible. After the selection is made the group selected can ask for input as they see fit and I am sure they will make everyone aware of their plans and intentions for GW4.

All submittals can be sent to thefederation@joimail.com and I will forward them to the committee there is no deadline for submitting proposals but we would like to get initial proposals within the next 3 to 4 weeks. After that we will follow up with more specific questions and hopefully have a decision made by mid to end July. While we appreciate any comments supporting the groups that submit proposals in this forum we will only consider those groups who have actually submitted a formalized proposal to the committee. I have asked the forum Moderators to help as much as possible in keeping this thread on topic and not letting it become a free for all discussion. Please feel free to support your group or area but please try to keep the thread on topic.

I was gonna ask when a pick would be made but its already been said. just fyi-

After careful consideration and a thorough review of the proposals that were sent into us we have made a our decision on where GW4 will be held next year. Just to try and keep some of the angst down I would like to say that all members of the group including Joe were unamious in our decision to let this group host GW4. It was not an easy decision to reach. The proposals that were recieved were well thought out and all had strong points and prime venues with which to host GW4. As we considered where it would go we looked back to this thread and tried to get some idea what everyone thougt was most important thing in a Woodstock event. Everyone has ideas about what the event should be and what it should look like but the one thing that it seemed everyone wanted to try and do this coming year was to make it as accessible to as many cachers as possible. With that thought in mind and with the facilities that these cachers have proposed I don think it will be a problem for TEXAS to host GW4 next year. 9key and his group would like to welcome you all to TEXAS for GW4. Congratulations Texas do us proud.

The Federation

Cool for Texas! Now do we have a rough time frame or is it the same weekend? And last i checked, it was a BIG state (kinda like the largest of the 48...), so was the proposal for a specifc city? I heard Houston kicked around, but do not know for sure....

Cool for Texas! Now do we have a rough time frame or is it the same weekend? And last i checked, it was a BIG state (kinda like the largest of the 48...), so was the proposal for a specifc city? I heard Houston kicked around, but do not know for sure....

I think it appropriate to let Texas answer that!

Please out of respect for the GREAT state of TEXAS and all the cachers there for taking on the largest event in the world.

Give them a little breathing room with all the questions for now. They were only asked to carry the torch today and there is a mountain of plans to be made. They will let everyone know as soon as possible about WHERE, WHEN, and how cool the event will be.

patience, grasshopper, patience

………… JOE

And a big thanks to all that sent a proposal

If TX holds it, lets spell check all shirts before the event :-P

LOL!

We won't let REI handle it this time. :D

Careful Snoogans. :D You know REI had nothing to do with the printing of the shirts, but others reading this thread will not. You and I know you are poking fun at me, and I can take it, but lets be fare here. The TRUTH is 3 Board Members of TXGA, Michelle and myself all looked at the proof and all 5 of us missed that one. B) The typesetter miss spelled it at the T-shirt Company, and we just missed it. B)

Back on topic…..YIPI for Texas good job 9Key and the rest of you.

Let’s see. I strongly suggest placing a portable AC unit on lay away now for when y’all come down and play with us. :blink:

I concur- a most excellent choice. B):D

I haven't lived there, nor cached there YET. I did spend my first wedding anniversary there; attending the wedding of friends who got engaged at our wedding, and thought a Memorial Day Weekend Bash was a great way to celebrate a wedding.

(um since I ditched spending this year's anniversary with my wife for GW3 is it asking too much to not hold next year's on Memorial Day weekend? :D )

I suppose she could join me, it would change the caching experience a little though. ;)

Coolness I have never been to Texas....got a baby brother over there...We can't wait. Texas it is! Good luck with all your plans ;) I guess we get to fly :D instead of drive in...We are looking forward to this already!

Thanks Federation for the tough decision!

I have heard rumors that the submitted date in the winning package is being changed. Please don't... Those of us that travel with children would like for them to be out of school for the event. Memorial day weekend worked so well for GW3.

Edited by The SuzyQs
I have heard rumors that the submitted date in the winning package is being changed. Please don't... Those of us that travel with children would like for them to be out of school for the event. Memorial day weekend worked so well for GW3.

where is the ' winning package' info? :P

Th e original purpose of this thread was to solicit bids for GW4. That purpose has now been fulfilled and that decison has now een mad public. I am sure when 9Key and the great people from Texas have announcements for us they will post a new thread in the appropiate forum Organized Geocaching. I am hoping they will have a web site up specifically for GW4 as well For now I would like to thank Groundspeak and the moderators for allowing us to post this thread in the general forums and for helping me to keep it on topic I am now closing this thread.