Gw4 Hosting Invitation

The original Woodstock (music festival) was not a moving event either.

:P:P:P:blink::blink::lol:

Dunno anything else to say...

except

It changed the world. Moving, indeed.

PLEASE don't try to compare these events, aside from people getting together in a park they have NOTHING in common!

That Groom Lake and all the subsequent "Woodstock redux" failed is, however, an apt observation.

The original Woodstock (music festival) was not a moving event either.

:P:P:P:P:blink::blink:

Dunno anything else to say...

except

It changed the world. Moving, indeed.

PLEASE don't try to compare these events, aside from people getting together in a park they have NOTHING in common!

That Groom Lake and all the subsequent "Woodstock redux" failed is, however, an apt observation.

I meant, Woodstock did not move from location to location. I'm sure there were some people at the event that took a trip or two ... :lol:

So glad that Louisville had “our turn” when Geocaching was part of a kinder, gentler, “nation.”

Joe conceived the idea, generated the excitement, and everything else fell into place with minimal effort. He wanted it to be “organic” and just sit back and wait to see what would develop. Joe and I spent one Sunday afternoon driving around Louisville to choose the site, and decided on an excellent place that I secured without cost the following week. Quiddler secured a free campground, everyone brought their own food to the event, Deermark and Daggy provided food for the campground, Paddy handled the travel bugs, CCCooperAgency brought gifts for many of us, and if anyone else did anything that I have forgotten, I apologize.

Any local cacher would have gladly done anything we asked. Joe and I discussed money, we pledged $100 each initially, and I doubt if we spent $50 total. Total man-hours invested prior to the event…maybe 50. Attendance was 70-80 people from 10 different states.

There were no door prizes, no donations from anyone, no actual event caches hidden, no “official” recognition from any organization, no presentations made, and, best of all…NO PRE-CONCEIVED IDEAS ABOUT WHAT IT SHOULD/WOULD/ OR COULD BE.

What Geo-Woodstock One did offer was the very first chance for many of us to meet each other. And yes, we did feel like we were a part of something very special. We knew it had a stronger future. Though it was a humble beginning, we had an absolute blast.

On a personal level, meeting CCCooperAgency, Lil’ Otter, Mtn-Man, Clayjar, RobertLipe, RGS and Glenn, and plenty of others, plus seeing BruceS, Southpaw, DLiming, IndyDiver and JoGPS again, and seeing our local cachers respond was exciting. Spending that evening and the next day caching locally with BruceS and Lil’Otter will always be among my favorite geo-memories.

GW2 in Nashville was fantastic. GW3 in Jacksonville was fantastic. There were certainly similarities and many differences. A tremendous amount of work went into each. Louisville definitely had the easy one. GW4 is a MASSIVE undertaking, and I hope the right people step up and host it.

More importantly, I hope ALL OF US SUPPORT IT WITH ENTHUSIASM. Times change, geocaching changes, attendance grows, and the event changes shape, but the GOOD SPIRIT should remain top priority.

I’m glad that JoGPS had the vision and acted on it.

Peace,

Darrell

Show Me The Cache

I would love to see MiGO step up to the plate if they haven't already.

El Diablo

El Diablo, from the other GW4 thread you started (now closed):

Bjorn74 stated: "Next year is MiGO's turn to host the International Social. Since they're talking about something on a whole different scale and have quite a bit already into it, I think it's safe to scratch MI off the list.

The Midwest has it's own thing going on that everyone's invited to. If you're looking for a cheap weekend, you can't do much better. As far as I'm concerned GW can stay on a coast or down South. It's tradition that it's in a very cache-dense area with 100% guarantees on good weather. That said, there's no reason that it should be the only big event. It's not, by the way."

I was a bit disappointed they might not apply for GW4, but it is understandable. You need an organization that can be fully committed to the event to pull it off like NEFGA did.

I thought moving caches were frowned upon. :P

Since caching is so much a family thing, I agree that the event should be held in July or August, and a northern latitude would be preferable. Actually, since caching is also an outdoor thing, I would like to see a week long event, at a really cool place where camping would be convenient, and hotels, restuarants and other amenities would be less convenient (but available).

Now that would be an event. :P:P

I'm not against "such an event" in the Pacific Northwest. I'm saying that it doesn't need to be called GeoWoodstock nor does it have to be GeoWoodstock. From prior experience it would be very hard to duplicate an event when the folks who started it and attended it and made it what it was can't attend it the next time.

Still not sure I understand your point. I mean... after all, the Olympics started in but one tiny place by no doubt a bunch of sandal-shod locals. But I dare say it's turned out to be a rather movable success, no? Furthermore, an arguably brilliant success - even without that original merry band of toga-clad jocks who clearly haven't been attending the duplications over these many years.

And nobody said that it "needs" to come to the PNW. It's just that you said you felt moving it around the country had merit, yet... you'd personally prefer that it not come here - or at least that if it did, it not be called "Geowoodstock".

Question is - were Seattle to get the Olympics, would you want the named changed to what? OlympicsWest?

But as you say, seems a whole lot of folks are taking all this way too personal. There's so dang many threads on this subject looping hither 'n yon 'round these forums just now, why it's enough to make one dizzy. Personally, I'll be happily grabbing boxes no matter what the outcome of all this GW4 chatter.

Still not sure I understand your point.

I'm not sure you need to, but based on your post you do understand my argument. You just don't agree with it.

I mean... after all, the Olympics started in but one tiny place by no doubt a bunch of sandal-shod locals. But I dare say it's turned out to be a rather movable success, no?

All the competitors were naked in the original Olympics. I think the first Olympics are far different than the ones are today. It's hard to take one event and point to this one and say, See? They're the same. The second and third Woodstocks (not GeoWoodstocks) were miserable failures, for example. But none of this is here or there really.

And nobody said that it "needs" to come to the PNW.  It's just that you said you felt moving it around the country had merit, yet... you'd personally prefer that it not come here - or at least that if it did, it not be called "Geowoodstock".

Ok. Maybe you didn't understand me after all. I stated that I would be happy if GeoWoodstock was planned here, but I think the original GeoWoodstock would be better if it was held on the east coast where it originated. Not everyone can go halfway across the country for an event like this one, and it would be nice if folks who attended in previous years wouldn't have to travel far to attend it.

However, the spirit of GeoWoodstock could be translated to another scheduled event in another part of the country.

Question is - were Seattle to get the Olympics, would you want the named changed to what? OlympicsWest?

I guess you're now trying to trivialize my opinion by ridiculing it. No. That isn't what I wrote, nor meant.

(The funny thing is the Olympic National Committee has taken legal action against companies in the PNW who have the word "Olympics" in the name, even though that is the name of our mountain range. But I digress.)

No, I wouldn't expect it to be called GeoWoodstockWest. I meant a second event would be GeoWoodstock West event. As in the way concert tours work. That way you could have 2 events with the same committee making sure they retain the original identity but make them more accessible to folks who want to attend one or the other (or both). But again, I am a bystander in all of this (thank the heavens). So take my opinion as if it was just a paper in the suggestion box.

Personally, I'll be happily grabbing boxes no matter what the outcome of all this GW4 chatter.

Great. Just keep in mind that I don't have some weird notion that GeoWoodstock should "get off mah land." That wasn't my intent or idea at all. I guess I've stated it in as many ways as I can. If you don't agree with me that's your prerogative.

Edited by Jeremy
I think the west coast would be a great place to host 'Cachapolloza'. A three day caching festival where clothes are optional, sleep where you passout and it's okay to eat with your fingers ...

Actually I was thinking of "Burning Cache" :huh: You build an enormous effigy of a cache container and shoot fireworks from it at the end of the event.

I guess you're now trying to trivialize my opinion by ridiculing it. No. That isn't what I wrote, nor meant.

No not at all J - the Olympics is but just one of many possible analogies.

Great. Just keep in mind that I don't have some weird notion that GeoWoodstock should "get off mah land." That wasn't my intent or idea at all. I guess I've stated it in as many ways as I can. If you don't agree with me that's your prerogative.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for clarifying your thoughts on the matter.

Like MANY people who attended GW3 can attest to the "numbers" does not always mean number of caches, if that were the case then I would have stayed home. Meeting the PEOPLE behind the geocaching names was the reason everyone I know attended.

I agree, I attended the first one and had 9 finds at the end of the day. Last year I got on a wagon train and logged 115 caches in 12 hours and this year I brought the familly and only did 35 caches but had a great time. You really need to come to one of these events to understand, just like geocaching, there is something for everyone.

I always thought that "it's all about the numbers" was meant as tongue in cheek. If I had an enormous ego (which everyone knows I'm as humble as a Hummel) I would think it was a friendly jab about my motto "it's not about the numbers" when it comes to the web site.

I have noticed there is a small portion of the population whose left superior frontal gyrus doesn't work quite right, however, but some research into gelotology could help.

Seeing that I'm the one who wrote the article for TC about the history of GW... I recall that it *is* about the numbers in the sence that it was created as a celebration of the people who were at the top of the game at the time of GW1. As in, a chance for the top 10 to meet and greet.

I thought moving caches were frowned upon. :D

Since caching is so much a family thing, I agree that the event should be held in July or August, and a northern latitude would be preferable. Actually, since caching is also an outdoor thing, I would like to see a week long event, at a really cool place where camping would be convenient, and hotels, restuarants and other amenities would be less convenient (but available).

Now that would be an event. :ph34r::laughing:

Then you need to come to Sax's campout :lol: Colorado is wonderful this time of year. Ok, any time of year.

I always thought that "it's all about the numbers" was meant as tongue in cheek. If I had an enormous ego (which everyone knows I'm as humble as a Hummel) I would think it was a friendly jab about my motto "it's not about the numbers" when it comes to the web site.

I have noticed there is a small portion of the population whose left superior frontal gyrus doesn't work quite right, however, but some research into gelotology could help.

ahhhhh Grasshopper! You have snatched the pebble from my hand! :laughing:

But some just don't get it..... do they? :P:):laughing::P

There were no door prizes, no donations from anyone, no actual event caches hidden, no “official” recognition from any organization, no presentations made, and, best of all…NO PRE-CONCEIVED IDEAS ABOUT WHAT IT SHOULD/WOULD/ OR COULD BE.

Perfectly said...all of it...but especially this part.

I am presently putting together the third event cache at the location of Utah's first geocache (which is still alive and well) and looking forward to what I am sure will be the best one yet. We have lots of events here, the local club (UTAG) hosts two events a year, and all are well done and well attended, with auctions, food, games, door prizes, and all the other staples. These are fun.

The events I have done have been pretty much just post the time and coordinates, and bring a dish to share. We have a potluck dinner, and sit around and chat. And maybe hunt some caches...ok, no maybe...we ARE addicts, after all.

These have always been a blast to host, since I don't get in over my head, and everyone raves about what a great time they have each year, which makes me that much more excited to do it again. Cost for this is maybe $80 for a campsite, which people have always been happy to help out with.

Caching is a fun thing...and cachers tend to be so passionate about it that the connection between them, regardless of differences in background, is enough that they can talk about it for hours. (It's also been my experience that cachers tend to be talkers, and not just ME :laughing: ) Get them together in the same place and time, and the party will just happen. Nothing wrong with prizes and games and all that...i love 'em too...but it's gonna be a blast with or without all that.

One thing I learned at GW3 is that to say “it’s about the numbers” is an oversimplification. I think it would help those persons formulating proposals that the purpose or focus for GW4 be more explicitly defined. What I observed in Florida is that it is not nearly as much about “the number of caches” as it is about “people who really like geocaching”. Granted, there were plenty of folks who participated in the number runs, and we all enjoyed the fact that there was a lot of geocaching to be done right in Hanna Park, but I think most folks that I spoke to were there for the camaraderie. Perhaps this is different from earlier GW versions (which I did not attend). While I personally think that it would be great to clone GW3, I can also see real value in a group proposing to have a different focus.

I am sure that everyone that contemplates assembling a proposal to host GW4 understands the huge responsibility. While you certainly need an excellent portfolio of interesting geocaches, it is much more important that you have an excellent portfolio of hotel rooms, rental car companies, transportation systems, caterers, etc. I think that there should also be a high priority given to accessibility from anywhere. As such it would make sense to have it in places where airfares are reasonable and there are lots of choices for flights and airlines to get in and out.

While it might be feasible for one person or a small group to host such an event, I cannot see how this could work optimally. One of the most important features that I enjoyed in FL was that the majority of caches had been recently serviced. You can only achieve that if all local cachers value the event and take some responsibility to make things happen.

I really enjoyed GW3, but I probably would not attend GW4 if it is purely "about the numbers". That was the part of the event I enjoyed the least. What mattered to me was the large diversity of caches I could hunt and the friendships I formed. I also thought the StAugstine run was a stroke of genius: we got do do what we loved and learned a lot about local history, food and culture at the same time.

Okay, I have waited this long and no one has said it, not a peep, so I can't stand it any more!

In one word: GGA!

I hereby beg and implore the GGA to step up and take a swing at this one!

They have the organization, the people dedicated to the game, the location, the active core of participants that are well known in the game...everything required to make one heck of an event!

Though I live in Alabama I am proud to be a GGA member, and would certainly pitch in!

Of the ten states in which I have geocached and the many state associations I watch online the GGA appears to be at the top!

Hmmm, I am having dinner with ErikLR-88 Friday, maybe it's time to start twisting on that arm! :lol:

Ed

Hello,

I am sorta new to geocaching(mar. 2005). However, I am very interested in helping with the planning of GW4. Wherever it is can someone please let me know how I can help. Also besides the fact that I live in the midwest, I think that Indiana would be a good location because of the centrality and the diverse areas to cache. Some areas are very dense while others are very scattered. If anyone from Ingeo, Geocky, or OKIA are willing to step up then I will be right there with you helping in any way possible.

Thanx,

Team BikiniBottomFeeders

Bloomington, Indiana

I hereby beg and implore the GGA to step up and take a swing at this one!

They have the organization, the people dedicated to the game, the location, the active core of participants that are well known in the game...everything required to make one heck of an event!

I agree that GGA would be a great host. Having many friends there I would love to go down and join them for GWIV!

However, I would still like to see it in the mid west or south west or west coast though. Even though I wouldn't be able to attend I hink it would be great to spread the joy.

El Diablo

One thing I learned at GW3 is that to say “it’s about the numbers” is an oversimplification. I think it would help those persons formulating proposals that the purpose or focus for GW4 be more explicitly defined. What I observed in Florida is that it is not nearly as much about “the number of caches” as it is about “people who really like geocaching”. While I personally think that it would be great to clone GW3, I can also see real value in a group proposing to have a different focus.

The oversimplification is to assume that the motto "it's all about the numbers" only refers to the numbers of caches. It is mostly about the number of like minded souls who gather together to get to know one another better. Also the number of TB's, pounds of catfish, shrimp, or chicken, bottles of water, geocoins, t-shirts, silly pictures, pies, hours spent together, and memories. It's Joe's baby, let's not try to change its name as it grows up.

That said, I would still like to see GW4 move away from the Southeast, but if it does remain in the SE I'm all behind the GGA and a trip to Atlanta.

Ya know, back in the old days there was the Montery Pop Festival. When they did basicly the same thing in another part of the country and called it Woodstock. GW doesnt have to travel all over. keep it in the south and let the rest of the folks do their own big event.

Champoeg is just as cool an event. I know this from people who have attended both. I think GW should stay in the south and be a southern Thang.

(forgot to change accounts, Please consider that this is from Lapaglia and Not CO Admin.

Edited by CO Admin
I think GW should stay in the south and be a southern Thang.

I disagree.

GeoWoodstock should go to ANY group that wants it and can pull it off. With the blessings of those with the say so, it should go ANYwhere.

That is your right and I will beat you to death to defend your right to do so.

(thats not quite right but it goes something like that) :D:o

Ok, ok, I am willing to donate considerable time and expense in organizing the GWIV. I volunteer.

Now, for the location. Hmmm. I shall be in Iraq (again) next year. Do you think that would be a good place? There is plenty of room for event caches. I promise the event to be quite, errr... explosive.

:D

I think GW should stay in the south and be a southern Thang.

I disagree.

GeoWoodstock should go to ANY group that wants it and can pull it off. With the blessings of those with the say so, it should go ANYwhere.

That is your right and I will beat you to death to defend your right to do so.

(thats not quite right but it goes something like that) :angry:<_<

ROFLMAO!

Lets have GW4 in Seattle or perhaps Honolulu or Anchorage or even Baghdad - it cannot be any worse than some of the places here.

Wherever it needs to have support of a local group of positive individuals that look for reasons why they can rather than why they cannot and that do more than sit on the forums debating the issue rather than moving forward and thinking of ways to sabotage those that are proactive. Austin sounds great, St. Louis is perfect, Las Vegas has plenty to do and even Key West may attract some alternative lifestyles to geocaching.

Thats my $.02

El Diablo

We had a leadership meeting last week to discuss possible interest in GW4 among other things. We do have a LOT put into our upcoming 2006 International Social already. Grand ideas, lots of good activities planned, and it is going to be focused on community and fun. Very little focus on numbers or outings. This is about coming together.

We're a good organization, well funded, and completely up to the challenge of a GW. However, it's tough to get your hands aroudn what the process was going to be for this year for "bidding" on it and what you do if you don't get it.

MiGO has been wanting to do something larger-scale for a while now and decided to "just do it" with our International Social idea. The IS event was the genesis of one of our members and a fellow cacher from Ontario, Canada in 2004. Afterward, they had a really positive experience and agreed it would be an annual thing, rotating between Ontario and Michigan each year. We dediced to use our hoting of the 2006 IS as our opportunity to put on a larger event for our fellow cachers and we still intend to do that.

Currently, we have tentative agreements to visit two or three fairgrounds and large county parks for venue evaluation, have some great ideas on activities and the like, and much support from our local park systems to host it.

I guess the selection process for GW was so cloudy we just weren't interested in waiting around "to see" how it was going to work this year. We felt a 2006 event of the scale we are imagining would require at least 18 months of concerted effort and budgeting if we were going to pull it off without killing ourselves.

Anyway... We certainly could step up to the plate, and we'd do it up right, but the proposal would have to be compatible with our vision for the International Social which is already underway as far as planning. MiGO isn't really in tune to the "it's all about the numbers" type events, we find the "let's hang out" events are much more fun and rewarding. There are PLENTY of opportunities to get out and cache your head off, but there are very FEW opportunites to put faces to those 100's of names you see in the logs and on the forums. That's what the event should allow you to really enjoy in our opinion.

Anyway... We certainly could step up to the plate, and we'd do it up right, but the proposal would have to be compatible with our vision for the International Social which is already underway as far as planning.  MiGO isn't really in tune to the "it's all about the numbers" type events, we find the "let's hang out" events are much more fun and rewarding.  There are PLENTY of opportunities to get out and cache your head off, but there are very FEW opportunites to put faces to those 100's of names you see in the logs and on the forums.  That's what the event should allow you to really enjoy in our opinion.

I wonder if your vision isn't that out of line with GW. I'm thinking of a huge event that is totally not about the numbers. Everybody gets to visit and eat and play and maybe even learn from others.

Then, the next day or so, you have a few different kinds of planned hunts. Maybe one group would just go on hunts the involve hiking, another just on puzzle multis, still another on just devious hides, and finally, the numbers run.

The event itself is still all about hanging out and meeting new friends (and lots of good food), while the days surrounding the event can have some group caching.

I think your group would be great to host GW. I wish you would consider it further and remain open to how your vision could meld with GW.

Edited by sbell111
Everybody gets to visit and eat and play and maybe even learn from others.

Then, the next day or so, you have a few different kinds of planned hunts.  Maybe one group would just go on hunts the involve hiking, another just on puzzle multis, still another on just devious hides, and finally, the numbers run.

The event itself is still all about hanging out and meeting new friends (and lots of good food), while the days surrounding the event can have some group caching.

Far out idea man! (sounds exactly like Geowoodstock 3 :) )

El Diablo

We had a leadership meeting last week to discuss possible interest in GW4 among other things. We do have a LOT put into our upcoming 2006 International Social already. Grand ideas, lots of good activities planned, and it is going to be focused on community and fun. Very little focus on numbers or outings. This is about coming together.

We're a good organization, well funded, and completely up to the challenge of a GW. However, it's tough to get your hands aroudn what the process was going to be for this year for "bidding" on it and what you do if you don't get it.

MiGO has been wanting to do something larger-scale for a while now and decided to "just do it" with our International Social idea. The IS event was the genesis of one of our members and a fellow cacher from Ontario, Canada in 2004. Afterward, they had a really positive experience and agreed it would be an annual thing, rotating between Ontario and Michigan each year. We dediced to use our hoting of the 2006 IS as our opportunity to put on a larger event for our fellow cachers and we still intend to do that.

Currently, we have tentative agreements to visit two or three fairgrounds and large county parks for venue evaluation, have some great ideas on activities and the like, and much support from our local park systems to host it.

I guess the selection process for GW was so cloudy we just weren't interested in waiting around "to see" how it was going to work this year. We felt a 2006 event of the scale we are imagining would require at least 18 months of concerted effort and budgeting if we were going to pull it off without killing ourselves.

Anyway... We certainly could step up to the plate, and we'd do it up right, but the proposal would have to be compatible with our vision for the International Social which is already underway as far as planning. MiGO isn't really in tune to the "it's all about the numbers" type events, we find the "let's hang out" events are much more fun and rewarding. There are PLENTY of opportunities to get out and cache your head off, but there are very FEW opportunites to put faces to those 100's of names you see in the logs and on the forums. That's what the event should allow you to really enjoy in our opinion.

I think that there is a misconception about "It's all about the numbers" for GWIII. I believe the numbers was the people that showed up for the event. I know from my experience there that it was a more of a greet and meet event than a mob out cache hunting.

I think that most major cities have enough caches to satisfy the desire of hardcore cachers from out of town. From my time at GWIII all I saw besides a poker run that I would guess 25% participated in, was a lot of people meeting and talking with each other.

I think to be successful what you need is a large area, good food, and some entertainment for the crowd that really dosen't have to center around caching.

El Diablo