Gw4 Hosting Invitation

For this reason places like  Sacramento,  Seattle, the NYC tri state area, San Diego, Boston and similar areas would all be good choices even though they are not physically central.

Just got back from 5 days in Boston ... my first time there and I have to say it was excellent. The people were great, the food was excellent, and 'history' is everywhere. I was not able to go caching on this trip but I would go back there in a heart beat... the place is awesome. As some locals would say, it was a wicked pissah. :rolleyes:

PS - not knowing the Bostonian langauge all to well, I am assuming 'wicked pissah' is a good thing ...

Edited by clearpath

Yeah, the last annual event has been over almost a whole week. I can't believe what slackers the organizers of the NEXT one are for not already having the details of the next one worked out.

While I'm at it, I don't actually smoke and I'm not interested in listening to the impressions of those that DO smoke, but I have some really great ideas on how the tobacco companies really should improve their products. I think R.J. Reynolds should hand their product plans over to my control. It's my plan to change the slogan, philosophy, and the products delivered because, well, I know best.

JoGPS and designees (minions?) of his choosing will do what they decide is best. I'll attend or I won't. If I attend and I had as much fun as I did at the last three, I'll gladly do it again. If I attend and it wasn't so much fun and have reason to think that trend will continue, I won't do it again. If I don't attend, I promise to not moan about it here in the forums.

For the sarcasm impaired, I'll state it clearly: most of this thread seems really silly to me. But from my seat in the peanut gallery, if you've never been to one and you think you want to host it, a thread titled "hosting invitation" probably isn't meant for you.

And I have no divine knowledge of what Federation or JoGPS intend and don't meant to imply otherwise. I'm just pointing out that it's JoGPS' party. If you don't like this party, pick (or sponsor/host) another one.

Prior to attending GWIII, we California cachers felt that we wanted to host GWIV but after having seen what all goes into an event of ths magnitude, we (several of the California cachers who attended GWIII) feel that it might be more that we can handle. We have hosted and attended many events so we know what goes into a regular event but GW is above and beyond. Had we not attended, we would have been on this thread fighting for the right to host, instead, I bow down to the brave souls to take this on.

The NEFGA were able to provide something for everyone...socializing, cache numbers, games, food, beverages, scenery, history, prizes and on and on and on. The Escapades (us) include my husband, myself, a 9 year old, and a 17 year old (who is not interested in caching) and we all had a good time. It will be a tough act to follow.

Having a committee to determine where the next event should be held and if the host group can handle the job only makes good sense. Whoever hosts the GWIV will need an experienced support system behind them to make it all come together. Even if the next event is not the same as GWIII and has a different style altogether, there will still be an enormous amount of preperation involved. Did I mention that there was no cost for ANYTHING? Food, beverages, and prizes and we didn't have to contribute a dime for anything except what we chose to purchase (t-shirts and geo-coins). That alone was amazing ... over 500 people and no charge.

Whoever takes GWIV on certainly has our respect and appreciation!

Did I mention that there was no cost for ANYTHING? Food, beverages, and prizes and we didn't have to contribute a dime for anything except what we chose to purchase (t-shirts and geo-coins). That alone was amazing ... over 500 people and no charge.

If this event was free, then who or what payed for all the food, drinks, park fees, electricity, plates, cups, napkins, etc. In college we used to make a lot of money for our fraternity by selling t-shirts. This information might help others ...

I'm a member of several groups that do a yearly get together... most of them started out small with one or two people In Charge, then one year those people looked at each other (usualy with sleep-deprived eyes) and went "wow, this has gotten big, next year is going to need to be more organized". At some point, you need more structure to be able to cat herd, and serve as many facets of the community as possible.

I think the idea of asking groups to put in a bid for an event, and have it become something that travels all over the US (and even the world), is a perfectly valid one.

I have also traveld all over the world to events that have had to do with other hobbies. The largeset ones have had to do with a couple of organazations that have around 600-1,200 people attend each year. The events are always handled by local groups, no one person can run an event or set one up. They also move them each year between the East coast, Central US and the West coast. This gives members on a budget to at least make to and event once every three years.

This is just food for thought.

As far as this comment

Not sure I noticed your log on the GW3 page. Were you there?

Weather or not someone has attended GW3 has nothing to do with anything regarding oppinions of locations for GW4. I am sure there are many geocachers that have attened events put on by non geocaching groups over the years. Groups that have been around a lot longer than most of us have been alive, some of them may have helped organize these events, It does not matter what an event is about, what matters is being able to handle and entertain a large group of people that have spent good money to be there. To limit opionions to those that have attened GW3 or GW2 or GW1 is short sitted and illadvised.

Weather or not someone has attended GW3 has nothing to do with anything regarding oppinions of locations for GW4.

Yep, I agree ... I have never been to the Olympic Games, that doesn't mean I don't love athletics as much as someone who is lucky enough to attend such an event.

Did I mention that there was no cost for ANYTHING? Food, beverages, and prizes and we didn't have to contribute a dime for anything except what we chose to purchase (t-shirts and geo-coins). That alone was amazing ... over 500 people and no charge.

If this event was free, then who or what payed for all the food, drinks, park fees, electricity, plates, cups, napkins, etc. In college we used to make a lot of money for our fraternity by selling t-shirts. This information might help others ...

We took up a collection among NEFGA members to get the funding started. We collected $50 each from 20+ people = $1000 +- all volunteered money - no pressure. That allowed us to pay for early expenses. We then sold event t-shirts on a voluntary basis to fund the rest. We weren't looking to make a profit - we just wanted to make enough to pay for the event which we did. There was no discrimination at the event between those who bought things or not. EVERYONE who registered (also free) got a custom laminated name tag with their name on it on a lanyard as a souvenir. We are planning a GW3 "de-briefing" meeting for the very near future where we will go over what worked, what didn't work, what could be better, etc. We will then have a very nice bit of advice for whoever does GW4. We hope GW4 surpasses GW3. We intend to help make that happen.

Jim

Jim Coleman - Paintfiction

NEFGA President

GeoWoodstock 3 Buckstopper

The requirement for an organization being established in an area for GW to make its way there seems a bit heavy. There are many places that have a wide-reaching official organization on the local level. New England is not one of them (SNEG is the closest it would come to that, but my impression is that they are largely informal).

While New England has a number of places that could accomodate GW and a number of cachers that could step up to the challenge of enabling a GW here, I don't think any one would step up to volunteer the others.

Jo et al may want to consider picking the location based on trying to best reach populations of geocachers that would not have likely attended previous ones due to proximity and caches that would not have likely been logged by past attendees who would come out to the next one. Then use the local boards to drum up the necessary grassroots to get the next one going.

That being said, the Pacific NW, Midwest, and New England would be the top 3 (in no specific order) locations that suit those criteria.

New England has clearly demonstrated its ability to pull off very large, successful, well-organized events. So by all means, get together with some of the folks who have done that, and submit a proposal. I'd be surprised if the proposal were to be rejected out of hand just because the "organization" making the proposal was not a group that had bylaws and monthly business meetings.

New England has clearly demonstrated its ability to pull off very large, successful, well-organized events. So by all means, get together with some of the folks who have done that, and submit a proposal. I'd be surprised if the proposal were to be rejected out of hand just because the "organization" making the proposal was not a group that had bylaws and monthly business meetings.

I totally agree. Bring it on New England! I bet it'd be cooler up there than it was here in Florida!

Jim

Jo et al may want to consider picking the location based on trying to best reach populations of geocachers that would not have likely attended previous ones due to proximity and caches that would not have likely been logged by past attendees who would come out to the next one. Then use the local boards to drum up the necessary grassroots to get the next one going.

I think you have a well thought out argument for moving GWIV to another area of the country, but I would hesitate moving it outside a region where folks who have attended in the past will have difficulty attending it next year. I think that a Pacific Northwest GeoWoodstock would be cool but I'd prefer it to be an ancillary event instead of the actual one (or perhaps a GeoWoodstock West event - like how Camp Jeep had an East and West coast event last year).

To me (and not attending it I'm probably not right) it seems that the folks meeting for GeoWoodstock this year are forming a community of GeoWoodstock attendees, and alienating them from next year's event would be a disservice. There is certainly room for other events like this but I don't think that this one would need to move so far from the east coast.

To me (and not attending it I'm probably not right) it seems that the folks meeting for GeoWoodstock this year are forming a community of GeoWoodstock attendees, and alienating them from next year's event would be a disservice. There is certainly room for other events like this but I don't think that this one would need to move so far from the east coast.

True, and yet it needs to move enough to give attendees the feeling that they're marking up a lot of previously untouched area so that they aren't hitting up caches they've done already or could easily get to any other time.

If Pacific NW and Midwest are too far as ideas...maybe New England, Baltimore-DC corridor, Ohio...

Nice to see this thread back on track.

As the official physician volunteer for Geowoodstock 3, I was happy to report only a few minor injuries and no cases of dehydration. We were even prepared to deliver a baby but thankfully the baby came a few days early.

I think wherever Geowoodstock 4 is held, it should continue to have first-aid on hand and I'd be happy to advise on what preparations were made and how the Medical tent was run this year.

Heck, I'd be happy to be the doc on-call again if needed.

I think you have a well thought out argument for moving GWIV to another area of the country, but I would hesitate moving it outside a region where folks who have attended in the past will have difficulty attending it next year.

I think that a very signficant number of people that attended GW3 are diehards and speaking as one of those diehards - there is no place in the contiental US I wouldn't travel to next year to attend.

I totally agree with moving around to different areas of the country, the opportunity to meet cachers from other areas is very enticing. As someone said earlier, proximity to a large airport of hub would be a great advantage in allowing people from outside the general region to fly in and attend.

I would love to cache the pacific northwest, it would totally different from the caching experience in the southeast US.

True, and yet it needs to move enough to give attendees the feeling that they're marking up a lot of previously untouched area so that they aren't hitting up caches they've done already or could easily get to any other time.

If Pacific NW and Midwest are too far as ideas...maybe New England, Baltimore-DC corridor, Ohio...

NYC. Hey I might even go :o .

I belong to another large hobby type organization and each year we put on a very large event at Cooper's Lake near Pittsburg PA. If there is a group in that area, I know Cooper's Lake can hold upwards of 10,000 people. Because they do each year in August for 2 weeks.

I also know that cooperation from smaller groups all over the U.S. goes into hosting that event. Sometimes the person responsible for accepting reservations lives in the midwest, the person responsible for organising some of the activities may live in Canada. The point I'm trying to make is if everyone works together and responsibility is shared then it makes the gathering more satisfying and more people will be likely to attend because they feel they had a hand in helping with it. As long as lines of communication are open between groups and individuals resposible for each part there shouldn't be any major problems.

Just a small thought on a large subject.

I belong to another large hobby type organization and each year we put on a very large event at Cooper's Lake near Pittsburg PA.  If there is a group in that area, I know Cooper's Lake can hold upwards of 10,000 people.  Because they do each year in August for 2 weeks.

I also know that cooperation from smaller groups all over the U.S. goes into hosting that event.  Sometimes the person responsible for accepting reservations lives in the midwest, the person responsible for organising some of the activities may live in Canada.  The point I'm trying to make is if everyone works together and responsibility is shared then it makes the gathering more satisfying and more people will be likely to attend because they feel they had a hand in helping with it. As long as lines of communication are open between groups and individuals resposible for each part there shouldn't be any major problems. 

Just a small thought on a large subject.

There is indeed a group in the Pittsburgh area, of which I am a member. I speak only for myself when I say this, but I don't think we would want to run this. There are multiple groups in PA, and none of us are incredibly organized...

By the way, I'm assuming your talking about Society for Creative Anarchism's Pennsic War held there every year?

Edited by TeamK-9

Yes, that would be the one. We get our own U.S. post office with a Pennsic War cancellation stamp for those 2 weeks too.

Edited to add: we're new to Geocaching and not living in PA so I just thought I would suggest a place I knew could handle a crowd.

Edited by Team Red Oak

I agree with K-9; the Pittsburgh area would be poorly suited to hosting a Woodstock-type event. The "caching personality" of this area generally favors terrain and mental challenges over park and grabs, and Pittsburgh's hills, rivers, bridges and confusing road network make powercaching nearly impossible. I don't think I've ever seen anyone exceed 50 finds in a day around here. We take a perverse sense of pride in that.

Coopers Lake and nearby Moraine State Park are beautiful areas for geocaching, and for event caches (there's been two up that way). But it's pretty much the middle of nowhere, with no major airport within an hour's drive.

Having attended two GeoWoodstocks, I would think that the Harrisburg/York/Hershey/Lancaster area would be better suited to the task. Perhaps a joint effort by the well-established Maryland Geocaching Society and the fast-growing SEPAG organization would make for a good proposal. There are opportunities for powercaching, for nice hiking in places with decent cache density, for off-road driving caches, for history tours (including Amish country) and for high-terrain challenges like hiking on the Appalachian Trail. It is one of my favorite areas for geocaching, and it's home to some of my favorite geocachers.

Why not Nashville? You want a park-n-grab feast? They do not call it cacheville for nothing

Well, GW2 was in Nashville. I think the idea is to move it around each year.

Oh ok, was not sure since this was my first GW event. Just has heard stories of Nashville. Makes me sad I missed last year. I loved this event and if it is within reasons I'll be at the 4th one. East, mid-west or in Alaska I will come

Weather or not someone has attended GW3 has nothing to do with anything regarding oppinions of locations for GW4.

It wasn't Mopar's opinions about GW4 to which that comment was directed. It was his assumptions and comments about GW3. Assumptions and comments that were, BTW, inaccurate.

Edited by JoeMerchant

It wasn't Mopar's opinions about GW4 to which that comment was directed. It was his assumptions and comments about GW3. Assumptions and comments that were, BTW, inaccurate.

Nice try at backpeddling. Go back to page one. I had stated no opinions or assumptions at the point you made that comment.

Having attended two GeoWoodstocks, I would think that the Harrisburg/York/Hershey/Lancaster area would be better suited to the task. Perhaps a joint effort by the well-established Maryland Geocaching Society and the fast-growing SEPAG organization would make for a good proposal. There are opportunities for powercaching, for nice hiking in places with decent cache density, for off-road driving caches, for history tours (including Amish country) and for high-terrain challenges like hiking on the Appalachian Trail. It is one of my favorite areas for geocaching, and it's home to some of my favorite geocachers.

Sounds like that area has all the bases covered. Bring it on PA!

Jim

Having attended two GeoWoodstocks, I would think that the Harrisburg/York/Hershey/Lancaster area would be better suited to the task.  Perhaps a joint effort by the well-established Maryland Geocaching Society and the fast-growing SEPAG organization would make for a good proposal.  There are opportunities for powercaching, for nice hiking in places with decent cache density, for off-road driving caches, for history tours (including Amish country) and for high-terrain challenges like hiking on the Appalachian Trail.  It is one of my favorite areas for geocaching, and it's home to some of my favorite geocachers.

Sounds like that area has all the bases covered. Bring it on PA!

Jim

There's actually multiple groups that could pull together to pull off a Harrisburg, PA area event. In addition to the two groups the Leprechaun mentioned, there's also a group in Harrisburg, and the Central PA group, which is focused more toward State College.

I'll bounce a message in the groups and see if there's any interest in hosting something like this in the Harrisburg area.

YO, nothing but complaints about GW3 from [people] that were just not brave enough to do it themselves. as someone who knows the principals involved with GW3 i think that before you open your mouth or keyboard you better think about the planning and coordinating an event of this magnitide. You can cry to your momma, but unless you propose to host a future GW event just keep your mouth shut!

Yeah I know I'll probably be censored for this but so what. I know that the fed and paint and the rest of the NEFGA crew did their best to bring you an event that noone else could attempt to host because of their brother hood in geocaching.

To the NEFGA crew Even though I didn't attend just from the debates here I give you respect and admiration. good luck in future endevoers

{Edited by moderator for language}

Edited by Keystone

I haven't seen a single place mentioned that wouldn't be a great venue for GW4 (with the possible exception of Bugtusstle :) ) I encourage ANY area with an interest to submit a proposal.

GW3 started with some off hand discussions among the four NEFGA members who attended GW2 and grew from there. There are any number of areas with the people needed to host GW4. I know that because I had the pleasure of meeting many of those people at GW3 & 2.

If you have any questions about GW3, which I helped on, or GW2, which I attended, just let me know. I'd be happy to answer them publicly or privately as would, I'm sure, any of the folks involved.

You can cry to your momma, but unless you propose to host a future GW event just keep your mouth shut!

So only people who have a proposal are allowed to post here and have an opinion? OK everyone, The Federation, JoeGPS, Leprechauns, Sbell111, all of you zip it!

Jo et al may want to consider picking the location based on trying to best reach populations of geocachers that would not have likely attended previous ones due to proximity and caches that would not have likely been logged by past attendees who would come out to the next one.  Then use the local boards to drum up the necessary grassroots to get the next one going.

I think you have a well thought out argument for moving GWIV to another area of the country, but I would hesitate moving it outside a region where folks who have attended in the past will have difficulty attending it next year. I think that a Pacific Northwest GeoWoodstock would be cool but I'd prefer it to be an ancillary event instead of the actual one (or perhaps a GeoWoodstock West event - like how Camp Jeep had an East and West coast event last year).

If Geowoodstock was moved to other areas it would give geocachers in other parts of thecountry a chance to attend that may not have the finances to travel 2,000 or 3,000 miles for an events. Keeping GW in the same part of the country

could be alienating those cachers from a chance to attend. There may be areas that would draw larger numbers of cachers.

Since several suggestions have been made of WHERE GW4 could be hosted, no one has brought up the topic of WHEN it should be hosted. I didn't attened GW3, but would have definitely liked to and would have planned my vacation around it, and I will be in Florida in July, but that is 2 months too late.

There are many caching families who have children in school. I think it would be nice to see the next GeoWoodstock be held in the summer months (July or August) when MOST kids are off school for the summer. The fact that my son was in school still in May was the ONLY reason that we were not able to attend. I am sure others are in the same situation.

There are many caching families who have children in school. I think it would be nice to see the next GeoWoodstock be held in the summer months (July or August) when MOST kids are off school for the summer. The fact that my son was in school still in May was the ONLY reason that we were not able to attend. I am sure others are in the same situation.

Yep, same here ...

Geowoodstock started as a meeting of the most prolific cachers but has since morphed into more of a national event (hence the meaning of a "woodstock"). I think it should remain as the premiere national event. Any event can be limited by a person's will, time and finances... For a national event that occurs only once year, I think many people would plan for it just as they would for their annual vacation. Schedule time off from work months in advance and save $$ for the trip and expenses.

With that being said, there is no reason that other yearly regional events can't be held which preserves the relationships that have been formed at these large scale events and are easier for a greater local number to attend.

If someone was smart, they could turn this into a business.... If anyone does do this, I want 10%! :)

Otay, read the thread, like most there's some silliness, some absurdity, some ignorance, some heat and some good advice.

Whoever steps up to host GW4, I hope you will consider the following:

While GeoWoodstock is all about the numbers, hosting GeoWoodstock is all about the people. People with intelligence, humor, money, a generous heart and an enjoyment of making others happy. People willing, in fact, to subjugate their needs and wants for the greater good. People who embrace geocaching in all its nuanced form, who are as excited about folks finding light poles as mountaintops. People who can work together for long periods as a team with clear and unified goals. People who can individually be given a task and trusted to run with it without supervision.

The people who hosted these three GeoWoodstock events all share those qualities.

I do not know the logistics of this event, but I did observe a team effort of friends, literally dozens of them, giving selflessly and working together, to the attendee's eyes at least, seamlessly.

There were no "Do it my way or I quit" types involved. I saw no one telling another what an idiot they were for this or that decision.

I urge any group that is truly cohesive to step up for next year's GW4. But that word cohesive is key. We of the AGA have 600+ members, a steady core of very active event hosters and attendees, and have formed many lasting friendships and bonds. We have great events. We have some of the finest folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in our ranks. Even with all that, we could not yet, however, properly host this event!

It takes a special kind of person, and more, a group of them working together, to make this happen. If you are part of a group that fits that description, go for it!

Personal thoughts;

I would attend GW4 anywhere. The suggestion, however, of having Champoeg in the west and GW in the east is a good one. Just not at the same time, so I can go to both!

The committee to bless GW4 is a good thing. Experience matters!

A "Lessons Learned" blog should be started to detail the logistics of past events, discuss what went right and what didn't work so well, and gather insights and advice for the next hosts. Ideas such as having FRS radios for wagon trains and limiting trains to 4-5 cars might be considered, even if that means 4-5 Wagon Masters for each run.

The format of GW3 was a thing of beauty. We came down Thursday and left Monday, met a whole bunch of folks, visited with friends, attended 3 dinners and the event, and found a few caches.

Y'alls dedication that it remain free is refreshing, but I would pay $100. in a heartbeat for admission to this event! Consider making the committee a formal entity, charge $5. a head and build a fund for future events if any is left over!

Bottom line, it's all about people and the desire to serve the game. Not to be repetitive, but if you have the group it takes, please step up! I will help you any way I can, and see you there!

Well,as a visitor (I tried to volunteer to help) to GW3, I can say it was truly about the numbers. There are now nearly 500 faces I can now place with their caching names. I got 500 finds in one of the most important category there could be in geocaching. I got to go pack caching in the park with about 5 other groups. We only found 4 on the packhunt in the park, but it was great getting to know them better.Was it neat getting 22 other finds without leaving the parking lot? You bet! But personally I like the 500 in the numbers of the day a lot better! I like the idea of a committee in the fact that not only does it try to encourage people to step up to host an event, but it gets the hosts ready for what they are in for. Does the host need to be as cache dense as Cacheville and Cacheonville? Nope. But there does need to be more than 1 cache within 5 mile of the event too. As I've said in other threads, I like the idea of a midwest or west coast GW. I also like the idea of an overseas GW event (read, Finland).Otherwise.... GW4 at my place! I got a grill. BYOB (Bring your own beef) My daughter has a cache at the base of our stairs!

While GeoWoodstock is all about the numbers, hosting GeoWoodstock is all about the people. People with intelligence, humor, money, a generous heart and an enjoyment of making others happy. People willing, in fact, to subjugate their needs and wants for the greater good. People who embrace geocaching in all its nuanced form, who are as excited about folks finding light poles as mountaintops. People who can work together for long periods as a team with clear and unified goals. People who can individually be given a task and trusted to run with it without supervision.

The people who hosted these three GeoWoodstock events all share those qualities.

I do not know the logistics of this event, but I did observe a team effort of friends, literally dozens of them, giving selflessly and working together, to the attendee's eyes at least, seamlessly.

AMEN Brother! :P

There were no "Do it my way or I quit" types involved. I saw no one telling another what an idiot they were for this or that decision.
I think they got all of these conversations out of the way before we came to town. :P:P
Whoever steps up to host GW4, I hope you will consider the following:

:P:P:P Thanks for the kind words about those of us who help host the event :blink::blink::lol:

I've got to say that I'm VERY proud to be a member of NEFGA and a volunteer at the event! I can only say that this is THE greatest group of people I've every worked with on any project anywhere! From start to finish there was nothing but selflessness and hard work displayed by all. Over the course of many planning meetings (including one by flashlight during a power outage :P ) and numerous online exchanges, I don't recall ever hearing anyone even come close to having a cross word with anyone else. The focus was always - let's have fun and make sure our guests have the time of their life. Like the old cliche says "There's no I in TEAM" and this group showed what teamwork can do. The best words of advice I can give the next host group is , if members of your group do stuff just to have their egos stroked, don't even bother. If y'all do what you do because it's fun and you want share that fun with others, then you just might be the right group.

There is certainly room for other events like this but I don't think that this one would need to move so far from the east coast.

If Geowoodstock was moved to other areas it would give geocachers in other parts of thecountry a chance to attend that may not have the finances to travel 2,000 or 3,000 miles for an events. Keeping GW in the same part of the country could be alienating those cachers from a chance to attend.

Exactly JV.

Jeremy, why on earth would you NOT want such an event held here in the PNW? Why "cool" but only if "ancillary"? Why must such events ever remain local? What could possibly be wrong with having one singular stellar event that annually moves about the country so that a more broad spectrum of cachers might have a chance of attending?

I can understand individuals advocating for their pet locale, but - you seem to be advocating AGAINST a locale - specifically, anywhere but here in the PNW. Why is that?

Jeremy, why on earth would you NOT want such an event held here in the PNW?

I'm not against "such an event" in the Pacific Northwest. I'm saying that it doesn't need to be called GeoWoodstock nor does it have to be GeoWoodstock. From prior experience it would be very hard to duplicate an event when the folks who started it and attended it and made it what it was can't attend it the next time.

Coming from someone who lived on the east coast for most of his life, I can say that the PNW is way far. Like alien far. And I was speaking to the Northwest because I live here - but I'm referring to any place equally far. Arizona doesn't seem like a place for GeoWoodstock either.

I'm not sure why there is so much emotion about a name. Well I do, but if you take it too far away from its original locations it won't be the same thing. GeoWoodstock, IMO, has created a community and I believe that would be a disservice to that community.

Geez, chill out. I don't have any control over where it goes and I would be perfectly happy if it came here. I just don't think it needs to.

A good example of the intent turning sour is, of course, the two "other" Woodstock events in the 90's. Not only did they become a commercial mess they also were opposite to the spirit of the original event. Which, by some accounts, wasn't that great either. But the "brand" of Woodstock is what the folks who did GW3 are striving for.

A good example of the intent turning sour is, of course, the two "other" Woodstock events in the 90's. Not only did they become a commercial mess they also were opposite to the spirit of the original event. Which, by some accounts, wasn't that great either. But the "brand" of Woodstock is what the folks who did GW3 are striving for.

The original Woodstock (music festival) was not a moving event either. I was only 6 years old at the time but from what I read, the West coast tried to duplicate the Woodstock experience at Altamont Speedway in CA. Although memorable, that event was highlighted by a stabbing death courtesy of the Hell's Angels. So, I can see Jeremy's point ... if you try to take this event to far from it's roots (or origination) then it could be a failure. It's probably better to invent another event with heritage in a different locale. Just my 2 cents.