Beware, Of Being Robbed

Within minutes they had used my wife's credit card to put gas on their vehicle at a station only a couple miles from our location.

I wonder if they were doing it to actually buy gas, or to check to see if the card was still good. (Well, ultimately it might have been both). Credit card at a gas station is supposedly a pretty common way of testing to see if you've cancelled the card already before it gets sold off.

I suspect the thing about getting gas is you generally can pay AT THE PUMP and when I do this there is never a signature or a PIN number necessary. What could be more easy than getting a tank full of gas and not having to prove in any way you are the cardholder. My only regret is they didn't use it at a station that had camera survellance at the pumps--we might have gotten a license plate number on these idiots as we knew the exact time of the transaction. The police officer checked and the station had no such security measures.

Jim7226

Two years ago on the Oregon coast, my wife and I walked out a short trail to a cache, logged it and when we returned to the car, maybe 10 minutes later, there was a note on the windshield.

It was from a State Police "Volunteer" park patrolman.

It was a listing of everything inside our car that might be worth stealing. Kinda like a shopping list for anyone wanting to tour the parking lot reading the list on each and every windshield.

Also on the note was a notice that this was a high crime area. If it is a known high crime area, why not just post a couple cops to work those parking lots and shoot a couple of the crooks? Leave the carcass laying next to the pile of broken window glass with a note for the badguys.

Logscaler.

I am so sorry your vehicle got broken into! It is the worst feeling! Our cars have been broken into (most in our driveway) many times for various items. As well as our garage. It sucks!

When out caching in a remote area, getting broken into has always been my fear. Luckily it has not happened yet (knock on wood). And I hope it never does.

I hope we can all learn from this thread and remember to hide our valuables and lock our vehicles!

Oh, the best place for the ladies purse is in the trunk. We all know us gals shove our purse under the front seat, so where do you think the thief is going to look for it? Just when you put it in the trunk, make sure not everyone else sees it is going there.

Oh, the best place for the ladies purse is in the trunk.

We do this also. The problem being that when the drivers side window is smashed out, then it only takes a couple seconds to lean in and trip the lever that opens the trunk as well.

This thread is making me more nervous all the time. I think I will have to get a lock box or two for my rigs. Or a trunk monkey with a tire iron.

Logscaler.

I suspect the thing about getting gas is you generally can pay AT THE PUMP and when I do this there is never a signature or a PIN number necessary. What could be more easy than getting a tank full of gas and not having to prove in any way you are the cardholder.

The gas stations near me (in California) that have the pay-at-the-pump option for CCs and ATMs: They now ask you for your 5-digit zip code. You must enter the CC's billing address's zip or it won't work. A little extra protection.

I didnt read through all the posts on the thread so im sure this has already been stated.

Yes, its convenient to have everything with you including the kitchen sink, but when caching try to travel light. We have several credit cards but we only carry one or two when heading out to do some caching. The driver's liscenses stay with us of course and i carry a Discover card while my wife carries a Visa or MC. Of course we carry cash but it wont be over $50 or so.

Like many, we have a laptop, a PDA, 2 GPSrs, digital cameras, flashlights, etc,,,. Again, we travel light depending on where, how far, we are going. I'll take the PDA and cheap digital camera more often than not and we pick one or the other of the GPSrs. If its a long trip then most everything comes with us so we have to think about where and how to carry those items.

Last but not least, we dont like DNFs but we have left some caches unfound, since they had us parking in what i felt were "unsafe" areas.

...The gas stations near me (in California) that have the pay-at-the-pump option for CCs and ATMs: They now ask you for your 5-digit zip code. You must enter the CC's billing address's zip or it won't work. A little extra protection.

Good thing I keep that on my drivers licence right next to the credit cared since I'm REQUIRED to say on my DL where I live.

I have a friend of mine who has the ugliest truck imaginable. There are dents and dings on every inch of this mulit-colored beast... There is no top on the truck and the interior is shot. When he leaves it before a hike, he puts "The Club" on it. Once he found a cup in the bed with some change in it with a note that said to put it towards a new truck...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, maybe my friend's luck will make you smile. It sure is a sight to see! :D

...Like many, we have a laptop, a PDA, 2 GPSrs, digital cameras, flashlights, etc...

I have been trying to figure out how to make a laptop container (lockable of course) in the dash of my rig so I can use it when I need it and lock it up when I don't. The best laptop for this purpose seems to be a small tablet PC though Sony has some in Japan only that would work. The price is way too high... so I've never looked too hard at the problem.

...The gas stations near me (in California) that have the pay-at-the-pump option for CCs and ATMs:  They now ask you for your 5-digit zip code. You must enter the CC's billing address's zip or it won't work. A little extra protection.

Good thing I keep that on my drivers licence right next to the credit cared since I'm REQUIRED to say on my DL where I live.

For stolen CCs, not DLs!

LOL.. Good point..

My DL never leaves my person except when I sleep. CCs not as much. I would never leave my DL in the car though, no matter what.

When he leaves it before a hike, he puts "The Club" on it.

After watching some infomercial for some other security device (hey, it was late at night and I was bored), the club is only an invitation for a thief to steal your car. I was amazed at how quickly it could be bypassed. (They just cut the steering wheel and take it off).

Oh, the best place for the ladies purse is in the trunk.

We do this also. The problem being that when the drivers side window is smashed out, then it only takes a couple seconds to lean in and trip the lever that opens the trunk as well.

This thread is making me more nervous all the time. I think I will have to get a lock box or two for my rigs. Or a trunk monkey with a tire iron.

Even my cheap little Miata has a trunk lock that defeats the lever! You just turn the key in the trunk and the lever is disconnected.

About feeling more nervous: try not to confuse the amount of crime being mentioned and any increased likelihood of it happening to you. That's how TV news keeps you afraid. Worry about crime when it happens to people you know, who live near you, but if you decide to think about crimes which happened in another state without taking into account all the people between you and them who weren't victims of crime in the last week, it's easy to come to a world view in which everything is awful.

78454_big.jpg

I'm sorry you had your vehicle Burglarized not robbed. Here is an example of a lockable box to secure your belongings, in case you choose not to take them with you.

Believe it or not...I had that very same box (with a loaded 9mm handgun) sitting under my truck seat locked as shown when the theft occurred. I am a concealed carry permit holder in MN so it is legal for me to carry a handgun.

Ever since two weeks ago I have been looking for a good fanny pack holster so I could carry it on my person rather than leave it in the locked box under my seat. In my case (and keep in mind I was not the original poster on this board--just someone who happened to share an eerily similar theft experience on that same day) carrying the gun wouldn't have done any good because I had no contact with the thieves. I showed up about a minute too late...I only heard them drive off before I could get out of the woods.

Still, you need to know that that particular locked box only gives a false sense of security. It is great to ensure children keep their hands off guns...but to a thief who likely has a stout screwdriver, etc....that box would be pryed open in less than 10 seconds. Believe me. The best advice I have been hearing on this thread...and I think it is something ALL GEOCACHERS NEED TO HEED is to keep valuables at home and not leave property visible as an invitation to "grab me."

Until Saturday I was naive to think that a locked door was not the ultimate security...but secure nontheless. I now realize that a locked door is nothing but a minor inconvenience that takes two seconds to break through and for your property to be grabbed. I hope others...and that is why I am sharing my experience...can learn from my mistakes so you do not have to also feel the same flood of emotions that run from the initial disbelief it has happened...then on to deep anger and frustration...and ultimately ending in a sense you've been violated in life.

Saturday morning I started the day with mostly positive thoughts about the fellow human beings I share this earth with...but by Saturday evening that world was turned completely upside down and it made me reevaluate those feelings.

I want to end on a bright note, however. I was contacted by a fellow geocacher who lived in the area where the theft happened. He apologized and told me how sorry he was this happened in his neck of the woods. He later made an offer that if my wife and I are ever in that sort of situation again (with all of her diabetic supplies stolen with the purse) that he offered up supplies he owns as he, too, is a diabetic. That little note of encouragement took a large leap toward restoring my faith in the people of this world...and in particular...those who enjoy this fine sport. You know who you are and I once again thank you for that kind offer.

Jim7226

Even my cheap little Miata has a trunk lock that defeats the lever!  You just turn the key in the trunk and the lever is disconnected.

Wait...it does?!? Is that why my trunk lever stopped working years ago?!? Do I turn the key in the trunk the other way, or what?

Of course, my Miata has the best antitheft device of all...it's got almost 200,000 miles on it and it's full of crap. Nobody in his right mind would risk arrest to mess with it. I was thinking the other day how sad I'll be when I have to replace it with something newer and worry about...spilling stuff and tearing stuff and stuff.

Since it was my cache that you were after when this happened I would like to publicly say "I'm Sorry". The park has always been empty when I've been there. I've never actually seen another car in the parking lot. I guess break-ins weren't on my mind when I placed the cache. I hope you did enjoy the park and the cache though, but nothing can make up for the trouble.

jason , please don't feel to badly , I am sure you had no idea of theivery in that area. Yes your's was one of 2 caches we were looking for that day . But it wasn't your fault.

It was just a case of if it wasn't my SUV that day it probably would have been someone elses , perhaps even could have been yours. Or any number of other people.

Its a public park. Could have been mushroon hunters , or just hikers instead of myself a geocacher.

We did indeed enjoy the park and your very unique cache container . Just so you know there was a log by some mushroon hunters , that happened upon your cache as well. They thought it was very cool as well. :rolleyes:

On another note , I have discoverd today that it won't be easy getting my window fixed , or access to my account at the bank .

Insurance deductible leaves me having to pay for a new one. Fine , except at the moment , I have no money , or credit cards available to me to purchase one. They all say about 10 days before they are all available to me again. The glass companies I have contacted want payment on day of service and will not extend me a grace period , because of a few bad people that failed to pay them. Its all just one big evil circus.

Star

Star

Well there is my tale, now you can all laugh and do whatever it is you are gonna do with this .

Aw, shoot, even THIS crowd isn't going to do anything but give you sympathy and wish you well, TeamT. Thank goodness they didn't get much use out of your cards.

This is a dilemma I think about every time I go a-hunting. I used to take an "abbreviated" version of my wallet -- just my license and some cash -- but it was a pain taking everything out and putting it back in again. And my car is very elderly and likely to die under me one of these trips, so I decided I needed all my cards and everything in case I got into trouble. So now I take my whole huge wallet.

But...then what? Take it on the trail? What if I fall in the crick or drop it down a cliff? Leave it in the car? Well, there's no such thing as "locked" when you drive a ragtop.

Aunty - there are ways to hide things in your car -

especially the older all metal ones.

added - well - there ain't a whole lot of room in a Miata! but there are ways.

cc\

Edited by CompuCash
78454_big.jpg

I'm sorry you had your vehicle Burglarized not robbed. Here is an example of a lockable box to secure your belongings, in case you choose not to take them with you.

neat idea - they make lock boxes for guns that can be mounted in your trunk also. That looks like a strong pair of wire cutters might break it loose.

but hey - the guy carrying only finger nail clippers would be outa luck.

cc\

...Like many, we have a laptop, a PDA, 2 GPSrs, digital cameras, flashlights, etc...

I have been trying to figure out how to make a laptop container (lockable of course) in the dash of my rig so I can use it when I need it and lock it up when I don't. The best laptop for this purpose seems to be a small tablet PC though Sony has some in Japan only that would work. The price is way too high... so I've never looked too hard at the problem.

take a look in your home town police cruiser one of these days - permanently mounted.

cc\

Even my cheap little Miata has a trunk lock that defeats the lever!  You just turn the key in the trunk and the lever is disconnected.

Wait...it does?!? Is that why my trunk lever stopped working years ago?!? Do I turn the key in the trunk the other way, or what?

Of course, my Miata has the best antitheft device of all...it's got almost 200,000 miles on it and it's full of crap. Nobody in his right mind would risk arrest to mess with it. I was thinking the other day how sad I'll be when I have to replace it with something newer and worry about...spilling stuff and tearing stuff and stuff.

I think this little gizmo came in with the 2000 model year (mine). I guess with 200,000 miles you have a "real" Miata (with pop-up headlights).

When you come to replace it, a slightly more recent Miata with, say, 100,000 miles :rolleyes:, will be an excellent choice.

Certainly round here, they more or less stop depreciating after about 5 years. So you can buy a 5-year-old one with 60,000 miles for about $10,000, then run it for 5 years and sell it for $7,000. If you time it right you can even avoid changing the cam belt, but even if you don't, you won't spend much more than $1,500 on servicing in that time. When Mazda made this car I don't know if they planned for it to be the most economical car on the road as well as the most fun, but that's how it turned out.

Sorry to go OT but at least this is more cheerful than the topic. <_<

78454_big.jpg

neat idea - they make lock boxes for guns that can be mounted in your trunk also. That looks like a strong pair of wire cutters might break it loose.

cc\

I like the James Bond security system. When the window is smashed the whole car blows up, taking the creeps with it.

78454_big.jpg

cc\

I like the James Bond security system. When the window is smashed the whole car blows up, taking the creeps with it.

:rolleyes:<_<:(:D

<snip>

That's really a shame, so sorry to hear it!

I worry now that I have a soft-top jeep that anyone can easily unzip my window, stick their arm in, and grab anything they want  :o  <snip>

Can't believe I just put this comment in writing, then went out to my jeep Monday morning and found one of my windows knifed open. Nothing stolen, not the case of CDs I'd left on the backseat easily within reach (very unusual for me to do that), not the CD player, nothing! :(

e6a1dc4b-56a4-44df-8daa-9f559fb6db5e.jpg

Edited by MountainMudbug

I learned this lesson myself. If there is nothing of value in sight most likely the thieves will pass by.

My wife and I were visiting DC many yrs ago. We took all our bags out of the car leaving behind my suit and her woman's suit along with our dress shoes. My stupid thought was thieves won't break-in for clothing. WRONG!!! They punched a hole in the side of the door and moved the linkage to the lock. We came out in the morning and it was just beyond me why the door was open. 4 hrs later the DC cops showed up and we cut our visit short and drove back to NJ. :)

Several years ago, I parked my little car in a lot in Daytona for about an hour. When I returned, I discovered that someone had broken in and helped themselves to my wallet and a 2-way motorola hand held radio that was locked in the center console.

A good day turned into a bad one fast.

Some years ago, some lowlife totally shattered my center console getting at the radio. It wasn't really worth stealing, either. I went down to a local automotive type shop to replace the radio, and I said in passing to the kid who worked there that I didn't so much mind the theft, but I was really cranky that the thief messed up my dash.

The kid gave me a disgusted look and said, "well, ma'am, how did you expect him to get the radio out?"

I should've known. This is the same shop wherein some other kid gave me advice years before on which bicycle lock to buy, by telling me how fast he and his buddies were able to break each type when they went on bike-stealing sprees. As I was still heart-sore from the theft of my previous bike, I was tempted to give him a Kryptonite suppository.

It's stories like this that made the first purchase for my Jeep a Tuffy Products locking center console. A thief will need some serious muscle, or a cutting torch to get into it, which is where I keep everything of value, from my Glock to GPS and any other electronics I might have with me at the time.

My Tuffy console is one of the best things I've ever spent my money on in my Jeep. I still carry all my valuables with me but it's nice to have the option of leaving some things in the Jeep (eg: my winch control, stereo, sunglasses, air gauge, etc). BTW, I have a cheapo factory Ford cassette deck in my Jeep's dash which I've left in place as a decoy.

A local Jeep accessories shop has a Tuffy on display that some thief tried to steel. It looks like he had a small crow bar. Bent the crap out of the lid but still couldn't get in. Unfortunately, the replacement cost of the box is around CAD$300!!!

GeoBC

<snip>

That's really a shame, so sorry to hear it!

I worry now that I have a soft-top jeep that anyone can easily unzip my window, stick their arm in, and grab anything they want  :P  <snip>

Can't believe I just put this comment in writing, then went out to my jeep Monday morning and found one of my windows knifed open. Nothing stolen, not the case of CDs I'd left on the backseat easily within reach (very unusual for me to do that), not the CD player, nothing! :P

e6a1dc4b-56a4-44df-8daa-9f559fb6db5e.jpg

dadgum Mountainmudbug,

That just stinks. I have a Jeep also. I never lock the doors on it in fear that someone just might slice the soft top.

These vandals just P@ me off.

take a look in your home town police cruiser one of these days - permanently mounted.

cc\

they're called toughbooks, i forget who makes them. they have integrated brifcase-style handles on the front, the screens can be locked down, and they mount and dismount from the permanently attached stand in the cruiser with a lock. it's all integrated into the toughbook frame.

I have a friend of mine who has the ugliest truck imaginable. There are dents and dings on every inch of this mulit-colored beast... There is no top on the truck and the interior is shot. When he leaves it before a hike, he puts "The Club" on it. Once he found a cup in the bed with some change in it with a note that said to put it towards a new truck...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, maybe my friend's luck will make you smile. It sure is a sight to see! :P

most club owners don't realize how easy it is to hacksaw through a steering wheel,

dadgum Mountainmudbug,

That just stinks. I have a Jeep also. I never lock the doors on it in fear that someone just might slice the soft top.

These vandals just P@ me off.

It doesnt work.... I too never locked my softtop.... after all the could just unsnap the back and climb in...

The idiots stlll busted in my window leaving blood all over the place when they stole my stereo.

I'm sorry you had your vehicle Burglarized not robbed.

I'm sorry you had your vehicle Burglarized not robbed.

unless this guy lives in his car, it was not burglary.

unless the property was taken from the victim's "person or immediate presence", it is not robbery.

but, no matter what, it was theft.

hey, you brought it up . . .

I feel for you, Star. It happened to me last December, while I was in a concert. They managed to unlock the door and took couple of backpacks and coats. Of course, my GPSr was inside the pocket of one of the coats. :P

Luckily there are these friendly, wise, handsome, intelligent, cool, freckled ex-punk rockers from New Jersey somewhat active in the forums, so I got a very cool new 60CS in my hands quite soon after that.

To add insult to injury , the glass companies around here will not replace the window unless one has the money to pay them , my accounts are all on lockdown thus no access to my money .... you can't get a duplicate D/L unless you have a birth cert. handy ( that was in the wallet as well ) ..... And now apparently I have sprung a leak under my kitchen sink and all is waterlogged ( what fun ) ....

Somedays you should never get out of bed ....

Star

To add insult to injury , the glass companies around here will not replace the window unless one has the money to pay them , my accounts are all on lockdown thus no access to my money .... you can't get a duplicate D/L unless you have a birth cert. handy ( that was in the wallet as well ) ..... And now apparently I have sprung a leak under my kitchen sink and all is waterlogged ( what fun ) ....

Somedays you should never get out of bed ....

Star

Star,

My insurance company (the good neighbor) is willing to put glass in my vehicle with no hassles...but initially they tried to put in USED glass (with just a few scratches) as a replacement. I WAS VERY UPSET!! A 2-year old vehicle deserves NEW glass...not some glass salvaged from an auto wreck. Especially considering the hefty premiums I pay on the rig. At least for me, NEW glass is finally being put in tomorrow. Best of luck getting everything in your life back in order after last weekend.

Jim7226

:huh: It's too bad that it had to happen when you were out having fun caching! Not that it would be any better to happen another place and time! :huh: But I would say to not let it get you down....for too long! Get your stuff back in shape, and Cache on! Life is too short to spend time being depressed and upset over something like this. You gotta pick yourself up, and get going again. Good luck to you in the future, and I'm glad you posted this, it is a wake up call to all of us! Thanks!

Sue

Things I have learned from all of this :

1) Your vehicle is not safe even if you lock it up.

2) Your vehicle is not safe even in your own yard ( sorry for your slashed vehicle mountainmudbug, and I feel your pain jim)

3) Insurance Company deductible's suck ! :D

4) Last weekend there seemed to be a full moon or something with a rash of vehicle breakins.

5) It sucks to have all your accounts on lockdown (but its for your own good)

6) I could be a plumber if I chose to ( I fixed my leaky sink myself this morning !) :lol:

7) Discover Card really watches out for and protects there customers !

8) Homeland Security makes it hard for one to get a duplicate D/L esp. if your Birth Certificate has gond missing. :ph34r:

9) I have some really great friends that helped me out a lot.

10) This will not kill my geocaching desire ! :laughing:

Thanks again all you well wishers , and fellow victums .. if nothing else I do hope this has served you all in some small manner.

Star

I see these type things at my job every day. If there is no enticement then the car becomes an enticement. It's a win/win for the criminal. They get whatever you leave inside or they get the car with very little if any loss to them.

As far as the fanny pack the first thing I can say to you or anyone else reading is never leave your birth certificate or social security card anywhere in your wallet, purse or vehicle. If you are going somewhere where these items will be needed you will know that in advance and can carry them with you. Any other time they should be in a safe deposit box, safe, or somewhere secure (I know nowhere is 100%).

Make sure that you made a police report regarding the theft and send letters as follow ups for the calls to the bank and credit card companies. Keep copies of any correspondence you have with these companies including date, time, name of agent and gist of phone calls. Should someone be caught this will be useful in court.

As far as the gas stations this is to test the cards. You stand a better chance of getting away from a gas pump after trying to use a card that is stolen than from inside a store. Also, the criminal will stand around a gas station and make more victims. They will approach people and say that they are stranded with no money to get home. They do however have their gas credit card. They will offer to charge your gas purchase if you pay them the cash afterwards. They are out nothing since it's not their card and they now have cash from another victim.

Anyone who has had their wallet, credit card or identity stolen should check out the FTC website for a useful booklet to help recover. It gives you examples for the letters you should send out and the steps to take to get everything back to as normal as possible. You can find this information at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/

There are links on the right side of the screen to the booklets to learn about ID theft or help with the recovery. You can also contact the FTC and have your information entered into a database that law enforcement can access. This helps if the criminal uses your ID to commit other crimes. The PD's can look and see you are not the suspect but another victim. We had this happen on a big case here and it saved months of investigation trying to find what turned out to be another victim. It also helped lead us to our suspect in 3 months instead of years.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to make sure I got the important info out there. If you have any questions about any of this please feel free to contact me off group.

Orpheus

Three or four years ago, Cathy and I were renting a house in Nashville. It had a fenced yard with a gate at the end of the drive. We kept the gate closed to slow my german shep from wandering, so we were in the (bad) habit of parking at the end of the drive and walking up to the house.

One morning, Cathy walked down to the Acura to go to work and discovered that someone had broken in. They had broken the door lock and gotten in. The steering column cover was also broken, and the lock was damaged. They were clearly after the car, since her $600 stereo was untouched as well as the computer (new in box) in the back remained.

That was the day that we decided to move to Franklin.

Folks,

There's been a lot of good information and discussion presented on this topic that needs to be heeded when out enjoying this great sport. Last week at this time I might have been foolish enough to think this crime wasn't going to ever happen to me or my family...'cause it always happens to "someone else." A week later, as one of the victims from last Saturday, I can assure you this crime scenario can play itself out no matter in what part of the country you live at or no matter how safe you think you are being in your parking practices. Apparently last weekend it was Star's and my turn at bad luck with two separate incidents with very similar results. This coming weekend it might be your turn to go thru the mess. If you get lulled into thinking it's never going to happen to you...then you're probably one of the prime candidates these thieves are looking to find.

Jim7226