How Many Have You Introduced To Caching?

Last year about this time I was in Atlanta on business and members of the GGA invited me to dinner. At GWIII last week a cacher came up to me and said he had attended dinner that night. At the time he had never found a cache, but he said after meeting me he was inspired? I have less finds than most newbies. I forget his name (I'm terrible with names. I meet so many people.) Maybe mtn-man can refresh my memory? I was flattered that I had inspired him.

Today I attended an event in NC put on by bosely that was held in conjunction with National Trail Day. The theme of the event was to help introduce people to caching. I led a family of 5 the Gillis Clan out on their first cache hunt. We found 3 temps put in place for the event, and later 2 real caches. These people were hooked!

I've introduced 5 people and 3 families over the years to caching. How many have you introduced?

El Diablo

I brought my best friend and his girlfriend out on their first cache. They are the only people I have brought that actually went out and bought a GPS and continue to cache.

My girlfriend as well I introduced and she loves it. She comes on nearly every cache with me and often leads the way.

So I would say 2-3 serious.

However, I have brought 7 different people on various caches with me. Mostly family. Although none of them have GPS's or have much interest to get into the sport. Most will ask to come along with me whenever possible.

4 to Letterboxing ;) But, this is Geocaching.

When one of these new boxers found that you could find "treasure" with a GPSr she borrowed her brothers GPSr, and read the manuel over a week's time period, then took her sisters out to find some cache! Now she's hooked her family :o They box, and cache!

Personally - one neighbor, one disc-golf buddy, one kayaking buddy, one sister, one sister-in-law and her boyfriend, two nephews and their friends, and two co-workers - roughly 15.

Indirectly - many through workshops sponsored through our school district and our district-sponsored virtual (SCALE), and I've heard from others about getting started in geocaching after reading an article I was in.

We have Introduced at least 4 that we can name and most likely quite a few that we cannot name . Whereever I go , I tend to talk about this obsession of mine and I get a lot of That sounds really cool .

I think I may have recruited a retired policeman that was giving a stop smoking program where I work. He was extremely interested ....

And we did recruit Awsome Ev, Big Mama D , Skipperandthecastaways , and Encapone.

Star & Wulf

I've started at least 3 people/families. One is a big time cacher now, one has done some caching and the 3rd has pretty much dropped out after finding 20 or so and logging about half of those online.

The first 2 have gone on to infect others!

I've had nibbles from several others, some of whom may eventually give it a try.

I tried to get my dad into it. He is an avid fisherman and hunter and I see many uses. However, the technology is just too much for him. I don't think they've ever figured out how to work the VCR either!

Well, I've introduced a few people. When I first found out about it I told my parents, who in turn told my brother and several of their colleagues. They don't have their own account, nor do they actively cache, but they've gone on a couple with us. I doubt they'll ever do any more, but it's possible.

I also introduced my girlfriend to it, and she's my regular caching partner. I found my first cache with her, and we always go together... I'm not allowed to go alone unless I'm on vacation without her, because she doesn't want to be left out. Can't blame her, of course! It's nice to have someone to cache with, though.

I've told a couple other people, but neither of them had GPS units so they weren't very interested. I'll tell more people in the future, but I tend to be careful about who I share it with... I only want to tell people who I feel will contribute to the sport.

Three people (family and friends) that I have introduced to geocaching go out regularly, if not more often than me. My mom goes out occasionally when I go visit her. My brother has found a couple, but I think that is it. I have taken six other friends and coworkers out who really haven't caught the bug at all.

I guess I'm not very convincing, because I've told countless people about geocaching and have only managed to convert one person (so far). Practically everyone who knows me knows about geocaching....

If you all would like to share some techniques, it would be much appreciated!

Mostly family, but here's the list anyway:

Brother & his family; the four yo even uses the terms geocaching and caches correctly.

Uncle and cousin

1 co-worker (and another co-worker interested, but hasn't gone on any caches.)

1 friend and his son.

:D

I've probably introduced 7 or 8 people to the game who actually took it up. My favorite convert was Duncan Idaho. After telling him about how much I enjoyed caching, he informed me that I need to get......well, I actually can't tell you what he thought I needed. However, a couple-o-months later he calles me up and says, "So, what kind of GPS do I need to get?".

His first find got him hook, line and sinker. He's now the author of some of my favorite caches including:

oozy rat in a sanitary zoo

and

Duncan Idaho Written All Over It

Scoobie

I guess I'm not very convincing, because I've told countless people about geocaching and have only managed to convert one person (so far). Practically everyone who knows me knows about geocaching....

Ah, you see, you cannot "convince" someone to cache. You must let them decide.

...Either they see the allure of hunting tupperware in the forest for hours or they don't. <_<

I guess I'm not very convincing, because I've told countless people about geocaching and have only managed to convert one person (so far).  Practically everyone who knows me knows about geocaching....

Ah, you see, you cannot "convince" someone to cache. You must let them decide.

...Either they see the allure of hunting tupperware in the forest for hours or they don't. <_<

Agreed. I just invite them along for a short run, maybe one or two local ones. That's all it takes for them to take flight! :angry:

I wish I had done as well in any pyramid scam I've ever been suckered into. I don't even really have to 'talk' people into it.

I've got four people from my office and two other guys where I work. My neighbor's are out shopping for a GPS like right now. Even my mom, who has no idea what a GPSr really is or does, has started an account and is dusting of the 8 channel GPSr I gave her husband like 5 years ago. My cousins are getting into since I introduced them to it during a visit.

And I've only been doing this since April.

I'm no salesman, I think the concept of GC'n appeals, at least at some level, to nearly everyone. They just don't all know about it yet. :)

---Chino

We've told quite a few people about it, though we've only had the opportunity to take one group with us so far:

L's family -- Took them caching at a park witin walking-distance of their house. They gave up on it half-way through an easy multi-cache. (we went ahead and finished it out, and now they wish they would've stayed with us ...) They still ask us about it from time to time. ("Found anything else yet?") They may give it another shot.

R's brother -- Hasn't actually gone with us on a hunt, but knows about it and is interested. We'll probably take him on a hunt sometime soon, to see what he thinks.

B,J,&L -- Friends of ours who live out of state. We told them about it, and they seemed really interested in it. (They're already into camping, hiking, etc. This really piqued their interest!) Problem is, we haven't been up to their area since we started caching. Next trip up there, we're planning on showing them.

We're going to be visiting R's dad (and step-mom) this weekend, and we might try to take them on a hunt. Really depends on what all they have in mind, how much time they have, whether it's ever going to stop raining around here, etc.

We actually got into Geocaching because some friends (our Sunday School teachers) took us on a hunt. Worked well for them!

I teach a GPS mini-class at the local community college and ALWAYS mention geocaching so I figure I have introduced 40 - 50 people that way. I got my brother and Dad involved for a time too. I have spoken at 4H meetings about it and boy scouts. Talked at length about it at an IT seminar once. I have personally taken 3 reporters out for finds and then they published articles about Geocaching. I mention it at work and have had 5 or 6 co-workers try it out. I'm supposed to demostrate GPS use for some park service employees next week.

Lots and lots of introductions - but I think I have only got about 5 people really hooked on it.

We were introduced to Geocaching last October by a family member in Texas. After the first cache, we were thoroughly hooked. We've told tons of people about geocaching "using the gps to find the co-ord's to locate the treasure", (so to speak)... what I've found is that alot of the people we've talked to lose interest as soon as they realize that they're not finding Expensive Treasure in the caches. That the kids find McToys, and sometimes we find something interesting (sometimes its annoying Business Cards), but all in all they don't seem to get that this is for fun. To check out areas that you'd never normally see, or would accidently overlook. We've found some excellent fishing spots, canoeing, not to mention breathtaking scenery for photographs.

~The 4 Chalupa's