Tb Hotels

Now don't get me wrong or jump to any conclusions regarding the Title and Sub-Title of this topic.

I think there is a place for all types of caches but a TB Hotel is what it says it is and ATEOTD, wouldn't it be nice for all cachers who wish to 'cross it off' or 'add it' to their list, actually took the initiative to help any TB's in it?

I received a watchlist log today of a cacher who, not having found it the first time, went out again. Found it, and left a log book entry to the effect of: TNLNSL

There are 4 TB's in the cache and one that does not have a specific aim. Surely this cacher could haved moved one TB!

I understand that some cachers do not take or assist TB's or swap items but it does annoy me when I read these logs.

cachers know what type of cache it is and should, IMO, out of courtesy state why they didn't assist the cache setter (and the TB owners) in their goal.

Maybe I'm just talking out my backside on this occasion but I am hungry and tea's not ready. Ho hum!

So to expand on the question: What's the Point? maybe it should read:

"What's the point of going to a TB Hotel and Taking Nothing?

*Ducks down, takes cover and waits for the flack to hit the fan*

At the end of the day it is up to the player how they play the game. By releasing a travel bug or setting a cache you are effectively putting it into the public domain and while many will respect the wishes of the 'owner' it really can't be regulated unless you intend to camp next to it and enforce those rules.

A travel bug hotel is just another cache. If I visited such a cache and found travel bugs that I didn't think I could move on fast enough, didn't like the look of, or didn't think I could help then I wouldn't take them.

Travel Bug Hotels are a good idea in that if I had a bug that had the objective of moving quickly to a particular country then I would be inclined to leave it in a high traffic cache or hotel knowing that it is more likely to be moved on than if I left it on the top of Ben Nevis.

An empty hotel is not necessaraly a bad thing. Surely the hotels are there to help bugs move, not to provide a prison until the requisite rules of said hotel are met.

We specifically launched our latest TB in a TB hotel. Being relative newbies, we naively thought it would be the ideal place for it to start its journey. Five weeks on and it's still there, despite the cache having been found a few times in the meantime. Personally I would not dream of visiting a TB hotel without the intention of leaving/taking/swapping, and would hope other loggers would do the same.

Maybe I'm just talking out my backside on this occasion but I am hungry and tea's not ready. Ho hum!

Oh I understand that feeling, LOL. Anyway, we have only ever visited two TB Hotels - they had TB's and we moved them on, if memory serves me correctly but anyway if they didn't we would have done. Best one so far is the Burghfield TB hotel - has a dual purpose - it's a drop off for those McD thingies and once there they are on the way to the incinerator! It's also the biggest cache we have seen so far.

I have eaten now and feel much better!

having re-read my original post it does look like I'm a whiney ol' git! I still stand by what I say and I agree with your comments dunos; Mark & Lynn but if none are taken from a Cache that does contain TB's, i think it is only manners to explain briefly, why TB's were not taken.

There is nothing more frustrating for a TB owner to receive cache logs showing a number of visits and NO TB's taken - without explanation!

(Rant over...)

Well for me, finding TBs adds an extra edge to the hunt, so a hotel should be well worth a visit.. Sadly, I'm always doing around 70 mph when I go past the one nearest to me!

TBs add a whole new dimension to this game, and I will always move one on if I find one..

Still, a cache is a cache and is there to be found, so I guess if someone finds a hotel and doesn't move a travel bug on, that's up to them!

I run a very popular TB hotel in Portland, Oregon USA. I include cards I have designed for the purpose of helping cachers to provide info of where bugs want to go, plus 3 sizes of ziplock bags, small, medium and quart-size.

I've noticed that bugs that don't get provided goal cards tend to languish in my cache for much longer than the bugs with no cards. So making sure my cache is always stocked with the cards get me a lot of emailed thank-you's from various cachers, and that is nice. ;)

82468_200.jpg